PDA

View Full Version : Valve: pay attention to LAN parrty dates please...

gregerg
08-14-2009, 02:33 AM
Dear Valve..

I am at Quakecon 2009, and I was looking forward to some TF2 time here in the BYOC. Since I am unable to fully update TF2, and unable to revert back to the previous version, I can not play TF2 with the others here. There always seem to be steam problems at LAN parties (for which I would also appreciate Valve doing some creative thinking) but this problem is a new one for me, so I thought I'd mention it here.

Both myself and many others around the globe would greatly appreciate you paying attention to these large LAN party events like quakecon and not updating your games around those dates.

Plasma
08-14-2009, 02:48 AM
I think thats a horrible idea.

The real fix would be to let you just play the game as-is if Steam cannot download any updates.

ReBoot
08-14-2009, 05:29 AM
The real fix would be to let you just play the game as-is if Steam cannot download any updates.I agree to that Steam's highest priority should be to allow users playing games, not keeping the game uptodate at all costs. It's already done well for the Steam client itself. It first fully downloads the update and applies it then. The same should be done with games, first download the update and apply it then.

gregerg
08-14-2009, 11:31 AM
I think thats a horrible idea.

how is it a horrible idea? there are 3000 gamers here at quakecon... many of them are fans of steam/valve/tf2 etc. Why wouldn't it be in valve's interest to please these fans by ensuring that they can play the game by holding off updates a few days.

eram
08-14-2009, 12:10 PM
Take your pc to an internet cafe, Update TF2. then go back to the lan party.If you can't do that then burn onto disk or copy via lan the full updated gcf files.

It really isnt hard to update games on steam.

cryptodan
08-14-2009, 02:23 PM
Most hotels offer free wifi, and you could do it that way.

Zefar
08-14-2009, 02:30 PM
Copy someone else GCF files from the Lan. That's what I would do.

Plasma
08-14-2009, 10:28 PM
how is it a horrible idea? there are 3000 gamers here at quakecon... many of them are fans of steam/valve/tf2 etc. Why wouldn't it be in valve's interest to please these fans by ensuring that they can play the game by holding off updates a few days.

There are many more people NOT at the LAN who would like the update as soon as possible.

What I suggested was to still keep lanners happy, by allowing the game to run even if it cannot be updated - that way everybody wins.

Keyelite
08-14-2009, 10:51 PM
Or ask someone who has an updated copy of TF2 at the lan to put the files on a external drive.

I had to do that for the UT3 free weekend fiasco awhile back.

PotShotScott
08-14-2009, 11:23 PM
Just ask the PDXLAN admins how they do it. They get steam working for 500 people with 6 cable modems and a linux box. No problemo for them. PDXLAN.com

f0rkz
02-17-2010, 06:00 AM
Take your pc to an internet cafe, Update TF2. then go back to the lan party.If you can't do that then burn onto disk or copy via lan the full updated gcf files.

It really isnt hard to update games on steam.

Yeah ok. Dude. You weren't there don't make stupid ignorant comments. We tried everything under the sun to get steam working. IT WOULDN'T WORK AT THE CON BECAUSE VALVE BLOCKED THE IP OF THE HOTEL.

thomasng1989
02-17-2010, 09:52 AM
Yeah ok. Dude. You weren't there don't make stupid ignorant comments. We tried everything under the sun to get steam working. IT WOULDN'T WORK AT THE CON BECAUSE VALVE BLOCKED THE IP OF THE HOTEL.

what hotel is that?

Epsilon
02-17-2010, 04:40 PM
There are two solutions to this problem, the best thing to do would be for Valve to implement both:

1) Let a game work if the update hasn't been downloaded yet. They should add a pop-up notification with a warning: "This is not the latest version of this game..." and pop-up a notification when the download comes in so that the game can be restarted.

2) Peer-to-peer patch downloading that can discover local peers, in the same manner as a modern torrent client. This way, patches can be pulled automatically from anybody on the local network who is also downloading the same patch, vastly reducing the bandwidth burden.

PoSSeSSeDCoW
02-17-2010, 08:42 PM

It's far more likely that your hotel blocked Steam...

sevenalive
02-19-2010, 05:58 AM

Insulting someone because they have an answer based on the information you provided is ignorant. You never stated why you couldn't download the update.

Jagged Tooth
02-19-2010, 06:41 AM
If Valve did allow you to play a game without fulling updating it, you wouldn't be able to play with anyone else. The game wouldn't work properly with two different versions.

scotland372
02-19-2010, 07:32 AM
IT WOULDN'T WORK AT THE CON BECAUSE VALVE BLOCKED THE IP OF THE HOTEL.

lol.

Damn Valve, blocking the IP of the same hotel you were hoping to update from, what are the odds?

Boltersdriveer
02-19-2010, 09:05 AM
But it's at the LAN Cafe, both class tables are the same. Unless the client there connects to an Internet server, which i highly doubt is possible, they should be able to play with each other.