PDA

View Full Version : Changing the volume of steam sounds

JaseNJ
08-31-2009, 11:16 AM
So I use headphones when I'm on the computer, and everything is really REALLY loud through them. In game this isn't a problem because you can turn the sound down. I've got sounds turned off for when I get messages and things like that, but the auto-join feature makes a noise I can't seem to turn off, and it's brain meltingly loud to me. I'd appreciate being able to turn the volume down on steam.

PuddingWagon
08-31-2009, 09:18 PM
Why don't you just turn down the global volume through Windows so all sounds are quieter? If all sounds are too loud then this is exactly what you need to do.

If you are on Vista/7 then each program has their own volume slider, so use that to turn Steam down specifically.

Rurius
09-01-2009, 07:55 PM
Steam has higher system requirements than some of the games, like Half Life 1. My entire computer freezes when steam pops up a window about updates, but it can run Half Life 1 at a reasonable FPS.

4 year old terrible laptop :(
Inspiron B130

jaga
11-21-2009, 03:59 PM
Most of Steam's sounds are way too loud and just plain annoying (warning.wav makes me jump out of my seat every time it comes up). Even if deleted they still download on every update Steam gets, so there's no way of getting rid of them for good. I won't hold my breath this will ever get addressed, but it's one of the biggest annoyances in Steam. Just let us remove/replace them, if we want to, and stop making us download them again every time there's an update.
Thanks.