PDA

View Full Version : Integration with Windows Media Center

nuno0351
09-01-2009, 08:21 PM
It would be great if Steam could integrate into Windows Media Center.
Currently I have to grab the wireless keyboard/mouse, minimize the 10-foot interface and launch Street Fighter 4, Guitar Hero etc (so far only Gears of War and Assassins Creed have integrated themselves). It really detracts from the whole experience of having a media/gaming system in the living room.

My suggestion is a media center plugin that would allow me to log into and launch my games.
It should be fairly simple since the Steam client is basically a web browser anyway and this type of functionality is part of the media center concept.

This would really bring us one step closer to making the multimedia PC the ultimate gaming system.
Being able to seamlessly go from watching TV to grabbing the controllers and with the remote launching your favorite game without searching for discs or anything!!!

Hope you take it into consideration!

Fuzz Bucket
09-01-2009, 08:28 PM
I would really have to protest the idea of integrating any more with Windows components, especially something like Windows Media Center.

Epsilon
09-02-2009, 05:17 AM
I think they've at least considered it. There are references to ehome.exe in some Steam files, and ehome is the name of the Media Centre interface.

kreed_uk
05-28-2010, 06:29 AM
yup, this would be fantastic

shresht93
05-28-2010, 09:18 AM
I would really have to protest the idea of integrating any more with Windows components, especially something like Windows Media Center.

Don't know why people protest against an optional update.

mbordelon2
05-28-2010, 09:43 AM
He protests against anything that isn't Apple.

fresco
06-19-2010, 09:16 AM
This is a very nice idea. It would be very convenient starting Trackmania (or another game) with your remote and than play it with a gamepad :)

L.o.D.
06-19-2010, 09:45 AM
Currently I have to grab the wireless keyboard/mouse, minimize the 10-foot interface and launch Street Fighter 4, Guitar Hero etc (so far only Gears of War and Assassins Creed have integrated themselves).

10 foot interface??
You using a large projection screen or something?
As for having to grab the keyboard/mouse, you would already have them at your fingertips if playing a game anyways. So I don't understand the gripe about having to grab them to play a game.

DeathRay2K
06-19-2010, 12:50 PM
LOD, a 10-foot interface refers to distance from the screen, not size of the screen. It's what an interface made for using with a TV is commonly called.

I think it's a great idea, it would make it much easier to use. Steam really isn't very good as a 10-foot UI, it would make it so much easier if there was a component that was.

L.o.D.
06-19-2010, 12:59 PM
LOD, a 10-foot interface refers to distance from the screen, not size of the screen. It's what an interface made for using with a TV is commonly called.

Sorry, but that makes absolutely no sense what so ever.
So by your logic, my browser is 15 foot on a 32 inch TV screen because I sit 15 feet away from it?

Tell me what computer interface was made for use with a TV.
To my knowledge, nothing that a PC uses can really tell the difference other than the video card.

Plus, this is the first time I have ever seen any mention of that so called "commonly used" term in this forum.
And this is the onoy reference to it on this entire forum. Can't be all that common then.

echo419a
06-20-2010, 08:48 PM
but it is definitely irrelevant so get back on topic.

d10sfan
06-20-2010, 09:14 PM
If there is a way to disable that completely or if it is as non-intrusive as many of the programs that have an WMC addon, I dont see how there could be a problem.

Or maybe have Steam have its own version of that, some type of full screen mode that can easily be switched to using a controller or remote, that lets you choose games in a big, easy to use menu.

DeathRay2K
06-21-2010, 01:30 PM
LOD: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/10-foot_user_interface

I think it would be better for it to be an addon for WMC rather than a switch in the client itself, or both. Otherwise you still have to go through the regular Steam view to get there, so that wouldn't really solve the problem.

Kyle222
06-21-2010, 04:59 PM
Is what you said.
What I see:
"Windows sucks, so I dont support any idea. Macs are win."
Please, just accept that they are computers.

Fuzz Bucket
06-21-2010, 05:22 PM
Is what you said.
What I see:
"Windows sucks, so I dont support any idea. Macs are win."
Please, just accept that they are computers.

Uh, I never said anything like that...
I just don't really want Steam integrated with anything. It has enough problems, as is.

A third party solution? By all means.

Edit: More obvious, please?

DeathRay2K
06-23-2010, 10:04 AM
As I see it, it would be an additional component (With a more suitable interface) that integrates with WMC, rather than Steam proper. I can't imagine why you'd be against that on principle.

reallango
05-19-2012, 08:28 PM
You should be able to install MediaBrowser (http://www.mediabrowser.tv/) and get the GameBrowser (http://gamebrowser.tv/index.html) Plugin for it.