PDA

View Full Version : Your thoughts on System Shock 2

TheOnlyTrueZak
09-07-2009, 09:14 PM
I hear quite often that Bioshock was based greatly on System Shock 2. They say SS2 was even better than Bioshock: it had more psychic powers, more varying gameplay with more opportunities, more challenging, and that it even had some "horror" features. So my question goes to those old-school gaming veterans. In what ways System Shock 2 is better than Bioshock? Is it really that great? Where can one buy it, and will it run on a modern PC? Thank you in advance, guys.

PhillB
09-07-2009, 09:59 PM
I ran it on Vista and XP just fine. It's funny, when I tried to run it on XP I couldn't get the videos to work but I did on Vista (you have to download a special codec). Also, there's a fan made patch that enables widescreen and gets rid of the dithering. I also suggest Rebirth and SHUTP.

As for the actual game, I thought it was a lot more engaging, and as a whole, a lot better than Bioshock. For one, there's more of an RPG element to SS2 than Bioshock has if that's your thing. It also makes for better replayability as you can build your character a different way each time. And yeah, at times it can be pretty creepy. Great game, I fully recommend it.

TheOnlyTrueZak
09-09-2009, 08:54 PM
Thanks for the reply. I'm getting SS2 soon. I wish it were available via Steam though...

backstepper
09-11-2009, 05:35 AM
I hear quite often that Bioshock was based greatly on System Shock 2. They say SS2 was even better than Bioshock: it had more psychic powers, more varying gameplay with more opportunities, more challenging, and that it even had some "horror" features. So my question goes to those old-school gaming veterans. In what ways System Shock 2 is better than Bioshock? Is it really that great? Where can one buy it, and will it run on a modern PC? Thank you in advance, guys.
System Shock 2 was a great game for me and i remember playing it the first time. Playing it again some time ago with a 7800 from nvidia, 3400+ amd, 2 gb osz and windows xp installed. Was running very well. Did not try to run it on vista but maybe i will wait for a System Shock 3 to be released.;)

I would say there are some things you find in Bioshock that you also had in System Shock 2 and it would be really great to see a remake of games like that because if anything these games still influence modern gaming.

Yugemos
09-24-2009, 11:19 AM
I loved it growing up as a kid

milkweg
09-26-2009, 03:16 AM
One word - SHODAN

Mulky
09-27-2009, 04:05 PM
One word - SHODAN

Quoted for truth. SHODAN alone is reason enough to play System Shock 2.

:D

It's been a long time since I played SS2 but I would say the major difference between it and BioShock (apart from the sophistication of the game engines, of course) is that SS2 is geared more towards being a RPG while BioShock is very much aimed at the FPS crowd.

JoeB
09-28-2009, 10:26 AM
System Shock 2 will have a very difficult time running on Vista/7. No matter what, I have no been able to get it 100% functional even with all the third party patches. Typically you end up with either a "black screen" in the menu or in-game itself. In Windows XP (with patches), it seems to be just fine.

Too bad nobody can release updated fixes for the newest OS's. Some may be able to get it to run fully even in Vista or 7, but it's still hit or miss.

As for the game itself, it does share a lot of similarities with BioShock (actually, it's technically the other way around since Bioshock is supposedly the spiritual successor of System Shock 2) and it's MUCH MUCH more difficult than Bioshock (your wrench isn't exactly super powered this time).

On a separate note, I heard "Dead Space" was originally supposed to be named "System Shock 3" yet it is completely different from both Bioshock and "System Shock 2" so good thing it didn't end up with that misleading title.

abort_user
09-28-2009, 01:31 PM
one of the best pc games, one of the best fps games, one of the best action rpgs. and im not talking about for its time. im saying its one of the best of all time. Deus Ex even seems to pale in comparison. System Shock 2 makes its spiritual successor, Bioshock, almost look like a cruel joke by comparison.

good luck in finding a copy. i sorta lucked into mine but if i hadnt i would have no problem buying. i had no problem running it in XP. i never tried vista though. the game may be hard to run but its definitely worth it.

a final warning though. the game can be brutally difficult at times but its still fun despite this. just dont expect it to be a cake walk like Bioshock.

james_2k
09-28-2009, 02:03 PM
the only thing is, the first 'shock' you will get is the ancient graphics ;)

once you get past that you are set.

ZeroSignal
10-14-2009, 02:01 AM
Too bad nobody can release updated fixes for the newest OS's. Some may be able to get it to run fully even in Vista or 7, but it's still hit or miss.

It's been out for some time, it's called DDFix.

DDFix really is the big thing that made these games work properly on modern hardware. It forces the game to 32 bit color to make up for removed dithering, it removes that annoying hard coded 640x480 resolution main menu, it forces the game to use one core so that it runs at the proper speed on multi-core systems, it re-registers the video codec every time you start the game to ensure that the videos will play, and frankly, I have yet to find a system that unable to run this game when using DDFix.

I carry System Shock 2 on my USB Flash drive, and whenever I go to somebody's house I just plug it in. I have two .exes in my game's folder, the original one, and the ddfix modified one. I try the original one for kicks, more often than not it gives that blank screen, but DDFix has never failed me.

DDFix is harder to use on vista and 7, the GUI version has problems for some reason, which requires that you get your hands a little dirty with a hex editor. Follow the instructions and all will be well.

http://timeslip.chorrol.com/ddfix.html

neuromancer
10-16-2009, 09:56 AM
SS2 is definitely one of the best games of all time. Others are right in saying it is much more of an RPG than BioShock is, which is part of why I love it so much.

And of course the Sentient Hyper-Optimized Data Access Network is one of the greatest (and most quotable) villains in gaming history :D

Alastayr
10-18-2009, 09:28 AM
one of the best pc games, one of the best fps games, one of the best action rpgs. and im not talking about for its time. im saying its one of the best of all time. Deus Ex even seems to pale in comparison. System Shock 2 makes its spiritual successor, Bioshock, almost look like a cruel joke by comparison.

a final warning though. the game can be brutally difficult at times but its still fun despite this. just dont expect it to be a cake walk like Bioshock.

This. It may sound elitist but it's very true.
Bioshock may have gotten Rapture and it's general setting right, but atmosphere, characters and execution of the story were a joke compared to a game that's nearly ten years older. The way Bioshock shoved all that crap right in front of you and then did nothing with it was really disappointing.

Now, Deus Ex. I'm not sure if it's better executed, but it's a lot more forgiving and friendly than SS2. No doubt though, both are among the best games ever made.

Shilor
11-12-2009, 06:31 AM
I played System shock 2 when I was in primary school. I found it pretty scary.. I really enjoyed it. After having played System Shock 2 all those years before Bioshock, really added to my experience. I felt a great deal of nostalgia when I played Bioshock. I'm not sure if it will work the other way around though. Now after playing Bioshock I have revisited System Shock 2 and have enjoyed it again.

I did run into problems getting it working on windows xp and vista but there is a community out there that are extremely helpful at getting this game working on modern PC. They also host some good mods. There are 4 mods I recommend using.

"SS2 Straylight ADaoB v0.3.0" - This one basically is an unofficial update that clears up bugs and glitches.

"SS2 SHTUP (Shock Texture Update Project)" - This mod includes revamped textures to make computer terminals and signs and various textures appear much more clearer than they used to.

"SS2 Rebirth Beta 01 - Complemented Version" - This mod makes all character models in the game of a higher quality. Higher polygon count for more realistically shaped characters.

"Tacticool Weapon Replacements" - This mod improves the models and textures of some of your weapons making them look nicer.

Basically these mods make the game run better and make it more aesthetically pleasing whilst keeping true to the original design. You will need to use the mod manager program to use these mods with ease.

In my opinion it all looks really nice when you have everything running correctly at your native resolution. But if you are a first timer to System Shock 2, I might just suggest play it as it is, as long as you can get it to work on your operating system.

You can find all you need to know of these mods and getting System Shock 2 to work on your PC here at this great community:
http://www.strangebedfellows.de/index.php?board=2.0

sinisterene
06-18-2010, 06:17 AM
As for the game itself, it does share a lot of similarities with BioShock (actually, it's technically the other way around since Bioshock is supposedly the spiritual successor of System Shock 2) and it's MUCH MUCH more difficult than Bioshock (your wrench isn't exactly super powered this time).
If you made a Venn diagram, Bioshock would be completely contained by SS2's set. The reason for this is because BioShock is SS2 "made simple" to pander to contards.

On a separate note, I heard "Dead Space" was originally supposed to be named "System Shock 3" yet it is completely different from both Bioshock and "System Shock 2" so good thing it didn't end up with that misleading title.

You're either a goddam liar or just really bad at making jokes

airblad3
06-18-2010, 08:03 AM
Needs an HD remake :)

ZeroSignal
06-18-2010, 03:09 PM
You're either a goddam liar or just really bad at making jokes

To be fair, there were rumors that EA was working on a new game in the System Shock franchise, but those rumors died about the same time Dead Space was announced.

I wouldn't be surprised if they at least toyed with the idea before settling on Dead Space.

blaze211
06-24-2010, 05:36 PM
Steam give us System Shock 2!!!

Shaak Ti
06-24-2010, 07:27 PM

Yeah, I tried to do Deus Ex recently -- couldn't get past the blocky.

jockmo42
06-24-2010, 09:44 PM
Gonna go ahead and nerdgasm all over this post.

System Shock 2 is easily one of the best games I've ever played. It isn't just a good game, it's a game that can hold it's own against the top FPS's and RPG's out today. It will scare the ♥♥♥♥ out of you, it will leave things up to you, and it doesn't hold your hand in the slightest. I miss this in today's games. System Shock 2 wasn't an oversimplified pack of particle effects and shaders like Bioshock. It didn't need to be. It's super-flexible and it really leaves a lot up to you as the player to decide how to play.

If I had a top ten list of games, it'd be in the top three, hands down. Seeing it on steam would be one of the greatest gifts Valve could give me.

Nothing against Bioshock, I mean it's a fun game and I'm sure it made them a lot of money, but System Shock 2 is a masterpiece that deserves a place on Steam.

ZeroSignal
06-24-2010, 10:31 PM
As much as I'd love to see System Shock 2 on Steam, I don't see that happening, mostly because the game is broken on modern computers without the use of third party hacks.

I'd like to think that someday Eidos will finally give in and release the Dark engine source code.. assuming the code wasn't destroyed.

Schmier
06-25-2010, 02:08 AM
it's one of those games you need to play yourself.
No words can describe the awesomeness:) Truly an underrated masterpiece classic!!

CABOOSE1324
06-25-2010, 04:35 PM
I have hopes that System Shock 2 will get on steam because as you probably know Irrational Games is working on an untitled project which I hope will be System Shock 3. If it is SS3 then we can most likely expect them to update SS2 for moderns computers and re-release it on steam like rebellion did with Aliens vs Predator.

Haydenfoot
06-25-2010, 10:07 PM
SS2 is an awesome game...it can be a bit scary at times. I like how in this game you're always feeling nervous and on edge, always low on ammo and enemies could be anywhere at anytime. The games great at getting under your skin and never letting you really feel "safe".

It has more depth and varied gameplay than Bioshock for sure, but bioshock is still an amazing game.

Loopzz
01-23-2012, 02:07 PM
http://pc.ign.com/articles/121/1216947p1.html?_cmpid=ign18

helidan
01-25-2012, 02:11 PM
System Shock 2 has an atmosphere like no other.
Walking the corridors of the Von Braun was bl***y awful on times!!

It really is a great game combining many elements. Every gamer needs to play this at least once during their life (unless of course you don't like the genre).

Jinx from Games
01-26-2012, 06:32 AM
I just got done with bioshock and loved it. With all this talk about System Shock 2,
Makes me want to try and find it. Why isn't System Shock 2 on steam? Sounds like it should be cause it sounds like a top seller.

ZeroSignal
02-01-2012, 12:13 AM
I just got done with bioshock and loved it. With all this talk about System Shock 2,
Makes me want to try and find it. Why isn't System Shock 2 on steam? Sounds like it should be cause it sounds like a top seller.

Made by irrational who is part of 2k now, and System Shock 2 is owned by EA, which has pretty much stopped supporting Steam completely.

Even without the ridiculous politics, the game is broken on modern PCs with hacks, and the source code is believed to be lost.

If you want to play it, go buy a used copy from Amazon or Ebay, patch to the latest version, do a google search for 'ddfix' and 'darkwidescreen'.

Ddfix will make the game work, darkwidescreen will make it look good on widescreen monitors.

Flibster
02-05-2012, 03:32 PM
I'd say it was much easier just to install the game off of the disc, then use the latest version of SS2Tool http://www.systemshock.org/index.php?topic=392.0

This contains pretty much every bug fix and tweak for Shock 2 known to man, includes the official patch, latest version of DDFix, dark's widescreen mod etc. It also makes the game directory mod-ready.

Personally i'm not a fan of the Rebirth model pack, it's stylistically jarring for my tastes and ruins the feel IMO. The Shock texture upgrade project (SHTUP) however is pretty much essential as far as i'm concerned.

Oh, and one more thing, make sure you play the game on your own first. The modding community makes this abundantly clear, as soon as you team up with another human in co-op, that sense of complete isolation and dread is immediately lost. You can only play the game through the first time once, so I would make it count.

Jinx from Games
02-07-2012, 12:18 AM
Made by irrational who is part of 2k now, and System Shock 2 is owned by EA, which has pretty much stopped supporting Steam completely.

Even without the ridiculous politics, the game is broken on modern PCs with hacks, and the source code is believed to be lost.

If you want to play it, go buy a used copy from Amazon or Ebay, patch to the latest version, do a google search for 'ddfix' and 'darkwidescreen'.

Ddfix will make the game work, darkwidescreen will make it look good on widescreen monitors.

I looked on sites like Ebay. I seen copys form $30 - $60 and if I get a unopen box, I wouldn't want to open it:(.

gabrielcaine
02-07-2012, 09:39 AM

seriously.....lol ok then i cant wait to hear what you say about the first and original system shock 1

and with the type of game that the system shock series was and still is ....with me atleast....it's not all about the graphics it's about the game and the connection that goes along with it.

I just finished SS1 a few weeks ago and come to think of it there are very little modern games of today that comes even close to the quality and quantity that a game is supposed to have that the SS series has in spades.

oh and just on a short note on the horror side of the game.....those damn hybrids and monkeys still scares the living hell out of me :p

nik5ar
02-20-2012, 07:33 PM
In what ways System Shock 2 is better than Bioshock?

Among other things: Co-op. Although Bioshock is good, I was quite disappointed when they decided not to put it in as they originally announced that it would have it.

cavin75
02-26-2012, 08:03 PM
Theres no official statment that dead space was supposed to be system shock 3 but there have reports about the timing of deadspace compared to ss3 aswell as the crew that worked on both of them. The way it comes out looking is that dead space was going to be ss3 but they renamed it. Now as for the game itself its not that hard to believe they are linked by story. The story of ss3 talks about the hybrid and how they are evolving. There used to be a theory about the many evolving into the necromorphs. I wish i could remember the details but if you play through SS/SS2 paying close attention to the story reading the recorded msgs aswell as the main story then play through deadspace you can make connections.

Purple Lemon
03-08-2012, 04:28 PM
System Shock 2 is very good. It also helped me discover my favourite game (Deus Ex) It's not the most stable of games but I managed to get it to work on my computer.
Also. Playing Dead Space I was not afraid or scared once. Simply because system shock was (IMO) Scarier.
Oh but expect to pay through the nose to find a copy. I mangaged to get mine second hand Jewel Case and disc only. for 20.

OH! and there's a demo for it. The demo worked for my XP but would not work for 7. Though the real game does work on my 7 so don't be put off by that.

it's MUCH MUCH more difficult than Bioshock (your wrench isn't exactly super powered this time).

Haha tell that to my crystal shard melee weapon!

--------------------------EDIT----------------------------

Just noticed the first post was in 2009. My bad