PDA

View Full Version : THIS PROVES VALVE IS REALLY NICE

freemansailor
09-19-2009, 06:50 AM
This game is a Portal rip off and Portal is made by Valve

shows how nice Valve is to even let rip offs for sale on their distrubition site

VonVentrue
09-19-2009, 01:55 PM

shows how nice Valve is to even let rip offs for sale on their distrubition site

Left 4 Dead was a Killing Floor rip-off. Funny that Valve had the guts to rip off someone else's work, got praised for it and even managed to make a ♥♥♥♥load of money.
Fanatical Valve lovers never cease to amaze me.

On a related note - this game might be inspired by Portal, but it's not a rip-off.

EEs
09-19-2009, 02:14 PM
Srsly what the deal with "Left 4 Dead was a Killing Floor rip-off."
They are not even close to the same. Also, there are lots of zombie killing games out there

VonVentrue
09-19-2009, 02:29 PM
Srsly what the deal with "Left 4 Dead was a Killing Floor rip-off."
They are not even close to the same. Also, there are lots of zombie killing games out there

You must have turned off your sarcasm detector.
Freemansailor seemed somewhat reluctant to grasp the concept of similarity. There might be similarities between two products, but that does not necessarily mean one company blatantly ripped off another company's work.

zombat
09-20-2009, 06:51 AM
Twin sector and portal play nothing alike, ♥♥♥

JoeB
09-21-2009, 07:03 PM
Portal and Twin Sector are similar because:

1. In both games you go from room to room solving a series of puzzles
2. Elevators are used to separate each level
3. You are guided by a voice of a computer who may or may not be the antagonist (it wouldn't surprise me if it was but I will never know until the full game is released where I am).

However, that is pretty much where the similarities end (although there may be more later on in the game beyond what the demo shows you). In this game you have two gloves for pushing and pulling objects as well as yourself while in Portal, you have a gun that lets you teleport from one position to another. The main character in Twin Sector isn't equipped with heel springs either so falling = instant death whereas Chell from Portal could survive any drop regardless of distance.

So as said above, this game is likely inspired by portal but not a blatant copy.

Personally, the demo was a great experience for me (give or take a few bugs which will hopefully be corrected by the time the full game is released) and thus I will probably be buying it (maybe I'll pre-order a little closer to the release date). it's definitely nice addition to the other puzzle games like Portal, the Penumbra series, and even Braid.

Joseph Merrick
09-30-2009, 05:39 PM
Left 4 Dead was a Killing Floor rip-off. Funny that Valve had the guts to rip off someone else's work, got praised for it and even managed to make a ♥♥♥♥load of money.
Fanatical Valve lovers never cease to amaze me.

On a related note - this game might be inspired by Portal, but it's not a rip-off.

...the ♥♥♥♥? L4D is a Killing Floor rip-off because you team up and kill zombies?

By that logic Killing Floor is a rip-off of about twenty earlier games, including the ♥♥♥♥ty Resident Evil spinoffs on the PS1.

And don't try to pass that off as sarcasm, it really wasn't...

Shadow_Man_PW
10-27-2009, 08:15 AM
...the ♥♥♥♥? L4D is a Killing Floor rip-off because you team up and kill zombies?

By that logic Killing Floor is a rip-off of about twenty earlier games, including the ♥♥♥♥ty Resident Evil spinoffs on the PS1.

You have to laugh when people fail to get it even when it's explained to them :)

WarToad3
11-05-2009, 12:09 AM

Uh, Valve stole/borrowed/bought Portal. It was previously known as Narbuncular Drop and was made by students. And also there's Prey.

Do you homework before you start trashing people genius.

d10sfan
12-07-2009, 09:57 AM

Look at the similarities between Killing Floor (both mod and game) and L4D. Very similar zombie types, waves of them, etc. Killing Floor came first as well.

sysosmaster
06-28-2010, 01:37 AM
as with all created content... you never invent it all on your own, but we "copy" of each other adding some innovation which makes it our individual thought. aka. everything is a rip off of something else, every good thing has some newly created added value to it. try disprove it ;).

woolerland
01-14-2011, 12:23 PM
who cares? if you liked portal, you may like this, yey for 2 games i like whhooo. why do people view rip-off's in such a negative way? surely its more gamage for your liked games ... but to join in with the haud. killing floor and L4d is similar but the stratergy/gameplay are alot different but hell i love them both, great fun. it's just people who haven't played both of games are ignorant to call them a rip-off than to actually to confirm their statement ...

AnubisArc999
01-15-2011, 10:36 AM
who cares? if you liked portal, you may like this, yey for 2 games i like whhooo. why do people view rip-off's in such a negative way? surely its more gamage for your liked games ... but to join in with the haud. killing floor and L4d is similar but the stratergy/gameplay are alot different but hell i love them both, great fun. it's just people who haven't played both of games are ignorant to call them a rip-off than to actually to confirm their statement ...

I agree with all of this.

Also, though it seems the OP is now banned, Valve's start-up game, Half-Life, should also be considered a "rip-off" from the OP's viewpoint, since it is just a rip-off of Quake, which also it did use the Quake engine for. :rolleyes:

Funny thing with people that yell: "rip-off!" is that usually they don't know the whole history behind that game and usually what they call a rip-off of something else was originally a "rip-off" as well.