PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7

_Bubs_
09-20-2009, 01:34 PM
Does anyone know if windows 7 will be like XP to where you are able to install with the same key on a few different computers? I know they dont want you doing that but im curious.

zezzex
09-20-2009, 01:47 PM
xp lets you install the same key on different computers? Thats news to me.

Pickanewnameplzkthx
09-20-2009, 02:01 PM
One key, one computer, unless you have a commerical key that let's you install multiple copies, and that cost big money.

If you are caught (and Microsoft is very serious about catching people who do it) you can loose your license to use the software, and will be blocked from updating it. I've also heard their legal team can be quite agressive too.

lhwj
09-20-2009, 06:35 PM
Does anyone know if windows 7 will be like XP to where you are able to install with the same key on a few different computers? I know they dont want you doing that but im curious.

You can't even if you try. Activation would fail because the key has already been registered on another computer.

Luke

QMurphy
09-20-2009, 07:28 PM
When you register it goes to a database that Microsoft controls. If you've used the key before they will deny you activation. Thankfully, Microsoft is selling the Windows 7 Home Premium Family Pack. You get like 3 keys pretty cheap. If you're gonna install on multiple computers, that's your best bet.

CMDG
09-21-2009, 10:40 PM
or from what i've heard you can get windows 7 for $30 bucks if you're a student.

Jagged Tooth
09-22-2009, 12:49 AM
or from what i've heard you can get windows 7 for $30 bucks if you're a student.

That's exactly what I was going to do. Until I randomly got an email giving me MSDN access two days ago.