PDA

View Full Version : Win7 broken by Logitech QuickCam

goro421
09-21-2009, 11:17 PM
So I installed the Logitech QuickCam software and now Windows won't launch explorer.exe even if I try to force it.

I know that I'll more than likely have to reformat, but I was wondering if anyone had any ideas?

Pickanewnameplzkthx
09-21-2009, 11:35 PM
With Win7 IDK what to tell you. You're an early adopter so you don;t have a disk to do a repair install, and it's a beta anyway. Personally I would roll back to Vista. Win7 will be experiencing driver issues and lack of software support for a long time to come. Vista is just now is beyind toddler stage and has started to walk. Win7 has not even begun to crawl yet.

I keep saying it, but it's like it's a lost cause trying to get this message out. Rushing to addopt an OS is a bad idea. It only causes one greif and stress. You get to see some benfit only to be let down because it will not work due to lack of software/driver support.

I cannot begin to describe to people how many people ahve lost data becasue of messing with beta's...OK RC's now, but still a beta in the sense that the result is the same. Beta's are for testing only with OS's. Meaning that you are only testing the fuctionality of the OS and reporting issues, and ideas on how to fix these bugs you find. If you're not doing that, there is no reason to load a beta OS. Even after a official version is launched it STILL is actually a beta...an end user beta, becaus the early adopters are STILL reporting and squashing bugs, and there is STILL lack of support on the part of the software/drivers dev's.

We're at least a year or more away before anyone can expect decent support from the software/driver dev's, and maybe 2 years.

goro421
09-21-2009, 11:38 PM
Lots of dialogue.

I've been using the Windows 7 RC1 for 3-4 months without a single driver problem until now, so thats probably not the issue since vista drivers work fine with 7.

Pickanewnameplzkthx
09-21-2009, 11:56 PM
I thought the issue was Logitech Quick Cam drivers causing a corrupt OS? You're having a issue now, and there will be more. That is a well known company, and if Logitech doesn't have drivers that work yet, you will run into more. Do whatever you think is best, but I can assure you, these new OS's are always trouble. If you like spending that ammont of time testing that's cool. On OS's I stick with fully supported OS's that have little to no issues.

goro421
09-22-2009, 12:09 AM
I thought the issue was Logitech Quick Cam drivers causing a corrupt OS? You're having a issue now, and there will be more. That is a well known company, and if Logitech doesn't have drivers that work yet, you will run into more. Do whatever you think is best, but I can assure you, these new OS's are always trouble. If you like spending that ammont of time testing that's cool. On OS's I stick with fully supported OS's that have little to no issues.

I don't think the drivers themselves caused the problem, I think it was the software for the camera. I could, however, be completely wrong.

WinstonChurchil
09-22-2009, 01:15 AM
Try to launch 7 in safe mode and uninstall the camera software there.