PDA

View Full Version : How about making the browser on steam a bit more stable?

opelduude
09-24-2009, 12:32 PM
I have experienced several times each day that the browser on steam are not working. I use it when im dead on counter strike source. You should fix a flash player to the browser so we can watch youtube videos properly while we are waiting to be respawned. I say we because a lot of my friends thinks this is very enoying too. It whould be great if you steam guys could fix this :D

DeKay
09-24-2009, 12:57 PM
Good ideea...
Maybe it will happen...

Petchyy
09-24-2009, 04:00 PM
Yeah, I wouldn't complain about that.

OldSchoolSoldie
09-24-2009, 04:09 PM
Speaker to Microshaft (Internet Explorer) and Adobe (Flash).

Ath
09-24-2009, 04:59 PM

The Steam overlay browser has nothing to do with IE, it only uses the layout engine in the form of mshtml.dll, which renders YouTube fine, it's Valve's current implementation that's at fault.

To the OP, it's a bit of a hack but if you open two windows in the overlay, use one to browse YouTube and paste the URL into the other window to view it, and the Flash control will work.

ZeBool
09-24-2009, 05:05 PM

By taking the name of the popular operating system 'windows' and replacing the last bit with 'blows' (which is a colloquialism meaning 'bad' or 'inferior') you've just given the name a whole new meaning, while not really changing the sound of the word too much! this is the epitome of both wit and humour! other highly amusing (and often underused) slag terms are 'windoze' (doze meaning 'light sleep' or 'nap') and {'M$'} (which usually stands for MicroSoft, but in this case, the 'S' is deliciously replaced with a dollar sign to represent how they unfairly charge for their products!) This is a new wave of humour, people. I think we should riddle all our posts, replies and (where applicable) everyday speech with these little beauties to forever represent that we, the open source community, know better than everyone else!

Hohum
09-24-2009, 05:09 PM
I think jmccaskey commented on the 'flash not working' issue not so long ago, and said that it's out of their hands. Apparently the issue occurs because whenever the IE layout engine encounters a javascript error, it permanently disables javascript for that session. As a result, Youtube (and various other sites) become unusable.

Using Google to search triggers a javascript error for some odd reason, hence the problem (although even more oddly, it doesn't affect everyone - he wasn't able to reproduce the issue himself, for example).

opelduude
09-26-2009, 12:52 PM
The Steam overlay browser has nothing to do with IE, it only uses the layout engine in the form of mshtml.dll, which renders YouTube fine, it's Valve's current implementation that's at fault.

To the OP, it's a bit of a hack but if you open two windows in the overlay, use one to browse YouTube and paste the URL into the other window to view it, and the Flash control will work.

I know but that is very enoying annoying to do that every time i want to listen or watch something else.

ultradude25
09-27-2009, 01:52 AM
-windowed -noborder

Problem solved.

AciD
09-27-2009, 03:34 AM
Steam Web Browser Youtube Not Working (http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=943539)

Check for free cookies.