PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 defrag question

L.o.D.
09-24-2009, 01:52 PM
I know it has a built-in defragger, but is it run automattically a specific times or do I need to manually run it?

TangleFoot
09-24-2009, 02:08 PM
I had to read all the way to the bottom, but the answer eventually presented itself here (http://blogs.msdn.com/e7/archive/2009/01/25/disk-defragmentation-background-and-engineering-the-windows-7-improvements.aspx):Best practices for using defragmentation in Windows 7 are simple you do not need to do anything! Defragmentation is scheduled to automatically run periodically and in the background with minimal impact to foreground activity.

L.o.D.
09-24-2009, 02:36 PM
Ok, that is what I thought but was not sure.

crazycanuck
09-24-2009, 04:08 PM
personally the windows defrag programs are rubbish.

I have been using this on multiple systems and on windows xp, vista and windows 7 and it really does a smassh up job at defragging the hdd. and its free.

http://majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=5318

zezzex
09-24-2009, 04:25 PM
Yes, there are other defrag tools, but is windows defrag tool really that bad? and why?

crazycanuck
09-24-2009, 05:27 PM
Yes, there are other defrag tools, but is windows defrag tool really that bad? and why?

windows defrag isn't bad persay...imo and a lot of others as well its just not intuitive enough and doesn't have features of some better and free tools.

I did see a difference between iobit smart defrag and windows defrag. My system seemed to run smoother..startup quicker and load maps and files quicker then when i used windows defrag.

Windows default defrag utility is a good very basic program for those who dont have anything..but there are much better.

I find smart defrag optimizes the data much better and faster. The quck optimize function does a great job and when run for the first time it can take a while to sort things out.

Pickanewnameplzkthx
09-25-2009, 12:38 AM
No Windows Defrag is actually quite good, but that degrag util he just posted is better...much much better. I too have used it on Vista 64 Ultimate, and noticed a difference instantly after I did the Fast Optimize Defrag. It wasn't just that my system needed a defrag eithe, becasue ti had just been done the night before. That ultility truly stands up to its name...it really is a Smart Defrag.

I don;t know the speciifics on exactly what it does different, but I know the performance increase I saw. I saw snappier windows loads, snappier page loads, about a 5-10 FPS jump in Crysis, all of my games run smoother.

I also use game booster, and had hiccups in Crysis every now and then that are now gone. Those tools really work nice, and so far I have not had any issues or bugs. I'm not one for a bunch of 3rd party apps, but those utilities have made a distinct difference in my system. My system wasn't bad before. It's a very high end system, but those two apps just tweaked it that little bit more. Really smooth, fast, and no stutters or hiccups.

renegadeafk
09-25-2009, 06:02 AM
personally the windows defrag programs are rubbish.

I have been using this on multiple systems and on windows xp, vista and windows 7 and it really does a smassh up job at defragging the hdd. and its free.

http://majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=5318

Windows vista and windows 7's defrag is much improved. You won't see any performance improvement using 3rd party defrag programs, they actually usually make my boot time slower.

Just let windows defrag itself.

Johnerz
09-25-2009, 06:31 AM
Unless you have an ssd, then you need to disable defrag on those drives :)

distagon
09-25-2009, 06:54 AM
Yeah, I am not a fan of the windows defragger either. I always use Diskeeper on my systems. Ver 2009 Pro works perfectly with Win 7:cool: