PDA

View Full Version : IDE and SATA

HL_Maniac
09-24-2009, 06:30 PM
Oh no, another question!

At the moment I've got a SATA hard drive and an IDE DVD drive.
Would it be a good idea to swap the DVD to SATA as well?

So far I've heard that the only advantage of SATA over IDE with optical drives is the cabling. Cable management, better airflow etc. There are no issues with data rate and channels as with IDE?

Now I've also been thinking of adding an extra hard drive I'm not currently using - which is IDE. If I were to add that, how would that impact my choice of DVD drive? Would it be better to keep the IDE (on the same channel as the HDD or seperate?) or go with SATA?

Samba Pa Ti
09-24-2009, 07:11 PM
id just go with sata all the way, and if you're gonna replace your dvd drive you could get a blu ray one, then at least its an upgrade and not just a swap from ide to sata.

HL_Maniac
09-24-2009, 07:25 PM
That's what I was thinking - going all SATA. Only I've got this IDE hard drive which I might use, but is not important enough that I'd go and buy another SATA one for.

Ambig
09-24-2009, 07:42 PM
I don't think it's worth the money, even if it's only like 25 bucks for a new DVD drive. It's a waste of money IMO. I would only do it if you were getting problems, like the DVD drive no longer works, or if there is some problem with an IDE DVD drive with your motherboard. Otherwise, it's just a waste.

HL_Maniac
09-24-2009, 07:46 PM
Actually I won't need to spend anything on it. I've already got the option of IDE or SATA. Just getting opinions on which I should go for.

Doc2142
09-24-2009, 07:59 PM
if u have an options then go sata nuff said.

W-
09-24-2009, 09:41 PM
If you are getting something, go with the new stuff. If you are not, then stick with what you have. Soon, motherboards will be coming out with no Parallel ATA ports at all, so you will have to get SATA stuff for the future.

HL_Maniac
09-24-2009, 10:22 PM
Yeah, that's a point. Might be time to let my old DVD drive go. It's been in every build since my first prebuilt computer!

lhwj
09-24-2009, 11:08 PM
I recently worked on a friend's PC which was fully IDE and loathed changing jumpers every time I had to add / remove a drive. :|

Much as I'm tempted to tell you to junk your current drive and go SATA, I think if it still works fine just keep using it; but if you know someone who needs the drive or if you can pass it down to another computer then you could buy a SATA one to replace it.

So, you've got your RAM sorted out on your i5 system? If so you're probably the first on this forum to have an i5 system up and running :) Congrats on being a Lynnfield pioneer!

Luke

HL_Maniac
09-25-2009, 12:27 AM
Ah, don't get excited just yet! I decided to leave the building til tomorrow (Saturday). I've been playing around with other stuff in the mean time, and thought it would be best to have a whole weekend to work on it, rather than a few tired hours after work. Unfortunately this means the "7 days return" thing for the RAM is now no longer in effect.. but we'll see.

As for the DVD drive, yes, I do have another machine the old drive can go in. That's the reason for swapping drives. That and having the ability to burn CDs/DVDs, which I never had before. Sometimes comes in handy.

Pickanewnameplzkthx
09-25-2009, 01:46 AM
Go witha BlueRay burner if you go with a SATA Optical Drive. I love that thing. Being able to store 25 and 50GB on one optical disk isa real plus, and on top of that you can play BluRay content.

I have an LG GGW-20L and that drive really is nice. I got it last year, and already have 2 50GB disks full of important stuff backed up. I also have that stuff backed up on other drives, but it makes it nice when you can keep alot of stuff on external media like that. Thoe LG Super Multi Blue Drives have everything...even lightscribe. I've been really impressed with that drive. I use it with XP and Vista both and It does use SATA.

.MalthViking
09-25-2009, 04:20 AM
It really makes no difference

And for backing up important data, I would probably use an external HDD, and unplug it when not in use

HL_Maniac
09-25-2009, 04:52 AM
That's what I've got right now. I also don't have an awful lot of stuff to acually back up. I don't really have the need for a Blu-ray drive at the moment.