PDA

View Full Version : Steam has some serious issues

zomgguitarz1234
09-25-2009, 06:09 PM
Don't even say this belongs in the help forum. This is more of a rant.

So I go to play tf2, and all the sudden steam says "Steam has found a problem with your catche files" and says something about having to redownload them.

Not only does it, not redownload them, but it also keeps trying to run the game for some reason. So I come here and post in the help and tips forum. Someone told me to change my download region, doesn't work. Then they tell me to delete a file. So I do that and it says "Steam is currently to busy to handle your request", when its trying to update.

So i come back and they tell me to delete another file.

After i did steam updates, and then gives me the same message.

So I deleted steam, redownloaded it, and left my computer on for 2 nights to redownload tf2 (really sucky download rate).

It works, then after trying to play tf2 again after the 2nd time, "Steam has found a problem with your catche files"

WHAT THE ♥♥♥♥!

I mean seriously VALVe can't you fix bull♥♥♥♥ like this, instead of releasing games nobody wants to buy (l4d2) and pointless updates (tf2 hats)

and why the hell can't we play halflife2 without being connected to the internet, its a offline game...

>X<
09-25-2009, 06:22 PM
Have you got 15% freespace on C: if you don't, nothing on your computer can be defragged properly.

Defrag C: drive, verify the game cache and defrag the game and then try.

Also run an error check on C:

chrisdglong
09-25-2009, 06:23 PM
Hard drive issue? Have you checked your drive for errors? EDIT: All of what ^^^^^^ said.

zomgguitarz1234
09-25-2009, 06:27 PM
Have you got 15% freespace on C: if you don't, nothing on your computer can be defragged properly.

Defrag C: drive, verify the game cache and defrag the game and then try.

Also run an error check on C:

Already did defragging, then tried, then defragged again, about 20x

chrisdglong
09-25-2009, 06:31 PM
Already did defragging.

Error check and run hd tune for disk errors. That's the first step I would do anyway.

Here is hd tune: http://www.hdtune.com/

Also verify the game's cache. If the download took that long it is possible the files became corrupt while DL'ing.

zomgguitarz1234
09-25-2009, 07:28 PM
Also verify the game's cache. If the download took that long it is possible the files became corrupt while DL'ing.

Steam makes it verify the catch, and heres what i get.

"Steam is to busy for you, go away and let us enjoy your $30"

chrisdglong
09-25-2009, 07:32 PM
Steam makes it verify the catch, and heres what i get.

"Steam is to busy for you, go away and let us enjoy your $30"

lol, that is a busy server error. Try another server location. I get that error from time to time and when I change locations it downloads fine.

zomgguitarz1234
09-25-2009, 07:38 PM
lol, that is a busy server error. Try another server location. I get that error from time to time and when I change locations it downloads fine.

So I come here and post in the help and tips forum. Someone told me to change my download region, doesn't work.

already did that, i traveled all across america, to germany, then to the UK. It was so. so.

but it didn't work.

Weird.

I deleted my halflife game, and re-installed it and it got around the stupid glitch.

chrisdglong
09-25-2009, 07:49 PM
already did that, i traveled all across america, to germany, then to the UK. It was so. so.

but it didn't work.

Weird.

I deleted my halflife game, and re-installed it and it got around the stupid glitch.

I guess you are right then. The only sollution is that Steam sucks.

zomgguitarz1234
09-25-2009, 08:34 PM
I guess you are right then. The only sollution is that Steam sucks.

well i wouldn't say that, I'm just pissed VALVe won't fix the glitch's.

Scottc1988
09-25-2009, 09:27 PM
well i wouldn't say that, I'm just jarateed VALVe won't fix the glitch's.
Yep they just completely ignore them. Why improve software when you can let it sit there and fall apart?

Pickanewnameplzkthx
09-25-2009, 10:22 PM
It's not Steam. I haven't had any such issue, so if it was the software, everybody would be having it, and everybody would be reporting it, and Steam would definitely be working on it. There are millions of Steam users. These boards would be overwhemed if there were a serious bug that would cause what you described.

Something sounds unstable on this machine. It could be an OC that is too high and not tested for stability, it could be bad hardware, it could be a corupt download of the client itslef, or any of the game files, or both caused by a dirty connection or even a modem problem. It could be a bad cable from the modem, or even a router that is dropping packets, and there are more thna few routers out there that have a nasty habity of dropping packets...some require firmware updates. It could also be a computer that is overheating or an unstable PSU. It could be a drive developing bad sectors and is getting ready to fail. You gotta isolate the issue and narrow it down to what it is not, and then work from there.

We already know it is not rthe software, so that is eliminated right there. Work from there. You got alot of good suggestions already, but if you just have your mind made up that Steam sucks and they need to fix software that there isn't anything wrong with you'll never fix the problem.

chrisdglong
09-25-2009, 11:56 PM
It's not Steam. I haven't had any such issue, so if it was the software, everybody would be having it, and everybody would be reporting it, and Steam would definitely be working on it. There are millions of Steam users. These boards would be overwhemed if there were a serious bug that would cause what you described.

Something sounds unstable on this machine. It could be an OC that is too high and not tested for stability, it could be bad hardware, it could be a corupt download of the client itslef, or any of the game files, or both caused by a dirty connection or even a modem problem. It could be a bad cable from the modem, or even a router that is dropping packets, and there are more thna few routers out there that have a nasty habity of dropping packets...some require firmware updates. It could also be a computer that is overheating or an unstable PSU. It could be a drive developing bad sectors and is getting ready to fail. You gotta isolate the issue and narrow it down to what it is not, and then work from there.

We already know it is not rthe software, so that is eliminated right there. Work from there. You got alot of good suggestions already, but if you just have your mind made up that Steam sucks and they need to fix software that there isn't anything wrong with you'll never fix the problem.

Yeah, I have never had a serious issue with Steam either. It actually seems quite simple and I like that about it.

I was just giving up on the OP who seemed to not want to look at his machine as the issue.

ultradude25
09-26-2009, 02:05 AM
My Steam experience has been mostly smooth considering the amount of crap I've put it through (Dual booting Steam, with Vista and Win 7, and having it run on the second partition with all it's files on the first partition.)

The main problem I've had with it is the "Game is currently unavailable bug". It would appear to be a problem with Steam not seeing that HL2.exe is shutdown. Now this may not be Steam's problem, I've had a few problems with my computer not knowing that files are deleted. I'm not sure how Steam works but I'm guessing that it has a temporary file that has all the information about the currently running HL2.exe, when I shutdown the game it deletes the file but my computer thinks it's still there, which means that I can't start the game again because Steam thinks HL2.exe is still running due to the computer thinking the file is still there.
If I don't do anything for a few minutes then the error goes away and I can launch the game again. This is exactly what I do with files that aren't there but the computer still thinks they are.

chrisdglong
09-26-2009, 02:23 AM
My Steam experience has been mostly smooth considering the amount of crap I've put it through (Dual booting Steam, with Vista and Win 7, and having it run on the second partition with all it's files on the first partition.)

The main problem I've had with it is the "Game is currently unavailable bug". It would appear to be a problem with Steam not seeing that HL2.exe is shutdown. Now this may not be Steam's problem, I've had a few problems with my computer not knowing that files are deleted. I'm not sure how Steam works but I'm guessing that it has a temporary file that has all the information about the currently running HL2.exe, when I shutdown the game it deletes the file but my computer thinks it's still there, which means that I can't start the game again because Steam thinks HL2.exe is still running due to the computer thinking the file is still there.
If I don't do anything for a few minutes then the error goes away and I can launch the game again. This is exactly what I do with files that aren't there but the computer still thinks they are.

Try this. Delete the game through steam. Then go to windows' uninstall program and uninstall it there. Then reinstall it.

If you go to that location then you will find that all the steam games are there.

ultradude25
09-26-2009, 03:26 AM
Try this. Delete the game through steam. Then go to windows' uninstall program and uninstall it there. Then reinstall it.

If you go to that location then you will find that all the steam games are there.
Only games I've installed on Win 7 Steam (They are still on the Vista Partition) show up there, everything else shows up under Vista's uninstall area.

I may have missed what you are saying but, I don't want to reinstall the games on my Win 7 Partition due to not having enough space and it takes forever. :p

Or you mean install the games on the Vista Partition using the Win 7 Steam so it shows up in Win 7's uninstall area?

chrisdglong
09-26-2009, 09:41 AM
Only games I've installed on Win 7 Steam (They are still on the Vista Partition) show up there, everything else shows up under Vista's uninstall area.

I may have missed what you are saying but, I don't want to reinstall the games on my Win 7 Partition due to not having enough space and it takes forever. :p

Or you mean install the games on the Vista Partition using the Win 7 Steam so it shows up in Win 7's uninstall area?

I quoted the wrong person. It was late.

dittohead
09-26-2009, 10:15 AM
Don't even say this belongs in the help forum. This is more of a rant.

So I go to play tf2, and all the sudden steam says "Steam has found a problem with your catche files" and says something about having to redownload them.

Not only does it, not redownload them, but it also keeps trying to run the game for some reason. So I come here and post in the help and tips forum. Someone told me to change my download region, doesn't work. Then they tell me to delete a file. So I do that and it says "Steam is currently to busy to handle your request", when its trying to update.

So i come back and they tell me to delete another file.

After i did steam updates, and then gives me the same message.

So I deleted steam, redownloaded it, and left my computer on for 2 nights to redownload tf2 (really sucky download rate).

It works, then after trying to play tf2 again after the 2nd time, "Steam has found a problem with your catche files"

WHAT THE ♥♥♥♥!

I mean seriously VALVe can't you fix bull♥♥♥♥ like this, instead of releasing games nobody wants to buy (l4d2) and pointless updates (tf2 hats)

and why the hell can't we play halflife2 without being connected to the internet, its a offline game...

This belongs in the help forum.

chrisdglong
09-26-2009, 10:48 AM
This belongs in the help forum.

lol. smart aleck.