PDA

View Full Version : Nothing but Interference

greenfrogore
09-26-2009, 03:16 PM
As a long time gamer, I am looking very carefully (not always successfully) to AVOID any game that runs under STEAM. As a user, I find that Steam does absolutely nothing for me except create problems.

I just lost a drive and tried to reinstall a game. I can't do it, because the CD Key has already been used. This is pure C_ _ P!!!

I paid for this game and own the game; as with other games, I should be able to move it to another computer without such nonsense.

james_2k
09-26-2009, 03:25 PM
just log into your old account and you can redownload it. no need to reenter the key

T@F
09-26-2009, 03:57 PM
All the games you put in steam are logged on to that account.
reinstall steam and log back into your account simple.

Cohrek
09-26-2009, 04:00 PM
As a 'long time gamer' you seem to know nothing about how steam works. Way to come to the forums to ♥♥♥♥♥ about a problem you know nothing about.

L.o.D.
09-26-2009, 04:16 PM
As a long time gamer, I am looking very carefully (not always successfully) to AVOID any game that runs under STEAM. As a user, I find that Steam does absolutely nothing for me except create problems.

I just lost a drive and tried to reinstall a game. I can't do it, because the CD Key has already been used. This is pure C_ _ P!!!

I paid for this game and own the game; as with other games, I should be able to move it to another computer without such nonsense.

1: Open steam.
2: log into the same account you registered the game to
3: download said game
4: play said game

Rage solved.

greenfrogore
09-28-2009, 11:55 PM
I don't want mama to hold my hand while I play a game.

I bought the right to play this game. Not the right to be supervised by a gaming company.

It's like you buying a car. The dealer tells you where you drive, when you drive and IF you drive. You would not put up with that, and I won't put up with the invasion of my privacy by the gaming company.

Peewi
09-29-2009, 12:02 AM

I bought the right to play this game. Not the right to be supervised by a gaming company.

It's like you buying a car. The dealer tells you where you drive, when you drive and IF you drive. You would not put up with that, and I won't put up with the invasion of my privacy by the gaming company.

After you have installed the game(s) you can put Steam in offline mode if it bothers you so much.

>X<
09-29-2009, 12:27 AM
I don't want mama to hold my hand while I play a game. Neither do I thats why I don't have to have a rack of the right cd's to make my games work, just a username and password.

I bought the right to play this game. Not the right to be supervised by a gaming company. I would rather have steam that I can turn off that some other DRM that runs all the time.

It's like you buying a car. The dealer tells you where you drive, when you drive and IF you drive. You would not put up with that, and I won't put up with the invasion of my privacy by the gaming company. Actually it's like the dealer looks after the car for you, no scratches and dents that make it unusable, with 1 button self servicing. The rego keep up to date, the correct tyres for the time of year.

I so wish you could go to a caryard and give them a username and password and take a new car no matter what country in the world you are in. Have an accident no issue delete the car cache and reinstall it.

OH for a Steampowered Car.

StingingVelvet
09-29-2009, 01:16 AM

I agree with you, though your attitude is pretty rough and rude, your point is a true one... with retail, most of the time, you are much more free to play your game how and where you want without Valve having a say. Steam means not really owning your games, but licensing them on a service.

That said, what is the point of coming here to say that? People on the Steam forum will almost all be Steam fans, so this is just bait for an arguement, which we call trolling on the Internet, and it is against Steam forum policy.

Also, from your first post it is clear you are unfamiliar with Steam for the most part. I urge you to research the issue and see the benefits of Steam, as there are several. Even though I agree with your basic point I still find myself using Steam a lot of the time because of these benefits, like lower prices and community features, as well as no disc needed.

AntiFritz
09-29-2009, 01:23 AM
Dude even retail games are only "licensing them on a service". You dont own the game the people who make it do.

StingingVelvet
09-29-2009, 01:25 AM
Dude even retail games are only "licensing them on a service". You dont own the game the people who make it do.

Yes, but court cases have shown a point of sale purchase in a store is considered a sale of the product... an EULA is not a legally binding thing you know, they can put whatever they want on those things.

Also, I would like to see Valve or EA come into my house and physically take my games away. I would have them arrested.

An online account offers no such protections.

T@F
09-29-2009, 03:25 AM
There will be good points and bad points on both sides tbh.

Retail dvd buy it get home install it bang playing online within 10 mins.
Steam buy a retail game get home install it 3 hours later still updating or downloading files grrr that part sux tbh.

Then there`s steam no dvd to keep putting in all the time,so you cannot break the dvd and lose the game for good.It`s just a password and username.
normally no copy protecting as it goes through steam.

Retail game having to put in the dvd all the time,crappy copy protection that can break hardware *cough startforce cough*and if you break the dvd or scratch it badly game lost.

so both can have there + but it`s down to the user tbh.

I could go on with the good and bad points,but just using them as an example.

Cedge
09-29-2009, 04:13 AM

Methinks you didn't read the user agreement, or descriptions of how the service works, before you started using it.

StingingVelvet
09-29-2009, 04:23 AM
Methinks you didn't read the user agreement, or descriptions of how the service works, before you started using it.

I'm sure you read every EULA thoroughly before installing...

Cedge
09-29-2009, 04:27 AM
I'm sure you read every EULA thoroughly before installing...

Maybe I do, for all you know.

And even if I don't, I at least familiarize myself with the basic details of a service, before signing up for it.

T@F
09-29-2009, 04:46 AM
But there`s a flaw with the EULA.
you cannot read it until you open the box(if there`s any inside on a piece of papaer) or start installing the game waiting for it to pop up.
So ether way you lose no matter what.

Matt
09-29-2009, 04:47 AM
This thread is not about EULAs.

1. Download and install Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/about/
2. Log into your existing Steam account. (Do not create a new account.)
3. Begin downloading your games.