PDA

View Full Version : Steam.exe (main exception): To run steam, you must first connect to the internet.

Christoffah1991
09-27-2009, 02:24 PM
Hello,

One week ago i installed steam, and since then i haven't been able to launch it. When i do, it stucks at "Updating" for about 2-3 minutes, but then its cancelled and the error "Steam.exe (main exception): To run Steam, you must first connect to the Internet" appears.

I run Vista x64, but have also tried it on my other computer which runs XP, and the same error occurs.

I have tried to:
*Run the application as an administrator.
*Turn off the Windows Firewall/Defender.
*Disable AVG Antivirus.
*Restart router.
*Check that the right ports in the router configuration are opened.
*Connect to the internet with both cable and wireless.
*Delete ClientRegistry.blob.

Worth to mention is that i've talked to several person who'se got the same ISP Subscription as me, but nobody has the same problem. :confused:
I have NOT tried to connect my computer directly without going through the router, because the router should not be the problem.

-Is this steam related?
-Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Christoffah1991
09-28-2009, 03:13 AM
bump? :S *10chars*

Blindjonn
09-29-2009, 06:34 AM
I'm also having this problem on my Uni network, anyone have any idea how to fix it?

docd87
09-29-2009, 01:53 PM
I have the exact same problem as described by OP. I have windows 7 rc installed. I just installed steam today on a brand new computer and it won't update after install. Just stuck at 0%. This is very frustrating because ALL my games (like 50+) are on steam. So this is for me a BIG problem!
HELP!

CoenRock
09-29-2009, 02:12 PM
Look to resolve this problem i do this:

Delete this "ClientRegistry.blob" BUT THIS IS THE TRICK -- > normally reinstaling Steam over an old instalation could not correct the problem so you have to use the tool of "Control Panel" -- > Add or Remove Programs -- > remove Steam and reinstalling, then try again, tell me if this work!

GL!

Astaco
09-29-2009, 02:19 PM
I'm also having this problem on my Uni network, anyone have any idea how to fix it?

This is probably another problem. Universities often have closed/blocked some services and ports to prevent the use of online games, messengers etc.

Or are you talking about the connection in the dorm?
In this case I would test the ports functionality manually and talk to the responsible person for the (dorm/university network).

Redronnie1963
09-30-2009, 12:55 PM
To run steam you must first connect to the internet

Having the same problem on two separate pcs both linked directly to a wireless router which I have restarted.
I have tried most things in fact - deleting Clientregistry.Blob, reinstalling, using the Windows Installer Clean Up Utility

I can play Left 4 Dead (I have the DVD) but I can't play Dark Crusade. I managed to get it working temporarily last night by clicking on the Dark Crusade.exe in the SteamApps folder which then started to update steam and the steam platform.

Hasn't worked today though

Any hints would be much appreciated - Thanks:confused:

ToNi
10-01-2009, 09:53 AM
I have the same problem for 2 weeks .
But it's ♥♥♥♥ing annoying :
I can log in to steam on weekends but on weekdays i can only log in at 20:00-21:00 O_o
A have win 7 and i try it on vista but it isnt work

ttran
10-03-2009, 04:12 PM
This is happening to me when I'm trying to install Steam. The odd thing is that on my desktop, which is under the same wireless internet can install it perfectly fine but my laptop is having this connection issue.

When i tried to copy the files over with the updated Steam files, same thing occurs. Anyone have any idea how to solve this?

roix
10-03-2009, 04:23 PM
Hello I get this error too, Im using wifi connection from neighbor, all was fire before I got L4D. I tried fresh steam install, clean registry, disable firewall, delete Clientregistry.Blob
Steam.exe (main exception): To run steam, you must first connect to the internet
http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/8793/27864508.jpg (http://img223.imageshack.us/i/27864508.jpg/)

bodiggly
10-03-2009, 09:59 PM
Hey everyone, I am getting this error too and i am getting pretty frustrated with steam. I had steam installed and working on my computer until i received a virus and had to do a factory reset on my hard drive in order to same my computer. I did not do anything with steam i just wiped my whole hard drive back to factory settings. I am know currently trying to reinstall it, but every time i try to install it after the initial setup it gives me this error. I have tried reinstalling, disabling my firewall, running as administrator, but still no progress. If anyone can help, it would be most appreciated.
thanks

VBProject
10-04-2009, 01:06 AM
Maybe you forgot to uncheck "Don't save account credentials on this computer" in Settings.

bodiggly
10-04-2009, 04:21 PM
yea i didn't do that, so there's no way to get steam back on my computer?

k9rosie
10-13-2009, 06:19 PM
I also have this error, but in Windows 7.

obo
10-27-2009, 01:10 PM
If you use:

Peerblock, PeerGuardian or any IP-blocking software
Torrent software that blocks certain IPs or network ports
A HOSTS file designed to block certain ads, websites or applications
A particularly restrictive firewall policy
A router that enforces access policies at certain times, bandwidth thresholds or against certain websites

Disable it or, if possible, add exceptions for Steam.

If you have a functional Internet connection but get this error, it's because something - your computer, your router or your ISP - is blocking access to Steam's servers.

Peerblock and PeerGuardian both offer optional lists that block the IPs Steam uses to communicate. Nine times out of 10, when I see or hear about this problem, it's either this or a HOSTS file issue. The other 1/10th of the time is either an ISP or router block.

vitchi-k
11-14-2009, 11:23 PM
Hi ! I just went to Control Panel - Steam - Right mouse - Repair. :D worked for I ty

Bloodthunder
11-18-2009, 03:06 PM
none of this has helped and ive tried litterally everything? help? steam/valve hasnt responded to my emails either this is pissing me off.

DammittLC
11-18-2009, 08:20 PM
Hi ! I just went to Control Panel - Steam - Right mouse - Repair. :D worked for I ty

This worked for me as well.

Running Windows 7 32-bit.

First download steaminstall.msi from steams site ( http://store.steampowered.com/about/ )

Go to Control Panel -> Programs and Features - > click on steam -> click on repair on the top of the programs menu.

The repair asked for SteamInstall.msi.
Browse for where you saved it and click ok

No more errors =D

civilian
05-07-2010, 05:01 PM
I have windows 7.

I tried repairing steam, but the repair didn't seem to complete. It says "please wait while windows configures steam", the green loading bar goes through once, and then it pauses around 1/10th of the way through. Then after ~5-10 seconds it disappears, and all my desktop icons refresh. And the problem still exists.

Help??

Also, my computer crashed while playing counter-strike. I got a blue screen, and then restarted and had this problem.

McKnick_Knack
05-07-2010, 05:18 PM
I have been really mad about this problem so i gave the control panel thing a try and there is no repair option.
http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/3779/99327460.png (http://img146.imageshack.us/i/99327460.png/)

civilian
05-07-2010, 05:19 PM
I have been really mad about this problem so i gave the control panel thing a try and there is no repair option.
http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/3779/99327460.png (http://img146.imageshack.us/i/99327460.png/)

The image is too small for us to see any detail.

McKnick_Knack
05-07-2010, 05:26 PM
(Steam being shown that its been clicked on)
http://img294.imageshack.us/img294/8117/25977075.png (http://img294.imageshack.us/i/25977075.png/)

(No Repair Option)
http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/8946/73419690.png (http://img263.imageshack.us/i/73419690.png/)

(Full Screen)

Bludragon1
05-07-2010, 05:48 PM
having the same problem here too. it said i had no internet connection but all else is online. i deleted the ClientRegistry.blob file but then it said my account no longer exists. Now i can't even play the games that don't require an internet connection. i check my firewall, antivirus and spybot too but nothing there to be causing problem.

GestorterEngel
05-07-2010, 05:51 PM
McKnick, right click on it and hit repair. However, it doesn't work for me. Hopefully you'll have better luck.

McKnick_Knack
05-07-2010, 07:24 PM
I uninstalled steam and now I installed it but it said it had to be in a new folder so I made a new folder and installed it. Where do I move the folder now?

McKnick_Knack
05-07-2010, 10:20 PM
Well i just did the unthinkable. I unistalled all my games and steam. Yup thats right and now its finally working!!!!

Teh_Saccade
06-20-2010, 11:48 AM
Alright guys, I've had this problem for about 3 hours now and I've just fixed it.

I was using wireless, and it was throwing me this error. Wired, it worked fine.
This could be either a problem with Steam's initial handshake/connection or it could be a problem with the way [my/the] router is doing all this stuff. Therefore, I imagine it could fix issues people are having with Win7/Vista (x32/x64/x86) with this error and Steamworks.

---

I could connect to steam fine using an ethernet wire, but I couldn't over the Wireless.
WTF?! I said to myself. Why the hell is it working when wired but not wireless?

So - I went into my network card's properties, via control panel > Network and Internet > Network Connections.

Quickly checking that the wired was fine, I unplugged it and it was disabled.
Tried to log into steam again and it says "error, yr not on the internet motherf*cker".

Anyhow - it turns out that, after I entered my WIRELESS network card's properties and had a look at the Advanced stuff - the "wireless mode" was set to IEEE 802.11b/g/n.
[other options - for me - on wireless were IEEE 802.11b & b/g]

When I set the Wireless mode to the IEEE 802.11b, it now connects fine.

So kiddies - that's one fix and I think it's a damn sight better than ♥♥♥♥ing around with deleting yr user accounts (.blob) and all that stuff.

*IF* you delete that .blob file and you then have problems connecting to steam and/or your games don't work or your steamcloud won't sync - blame the person who tells you to remove that file, as that isn't anything to do with connection, imo.
It's to do with your user data once you have connected :)

It isn't the router, check you can connect via a cable.
If you can't connect via a cable, check the ETHERNET card's advanced settings and make sure that the mode is IEEE 802.11b or b/d, if it's set for b/d/g or anything else.

Use the lowest settings you can - it'll be slow as ♥♥♥♥ to start with, but at least it'll handshake with steam and you'll be able to connect.

Seems Steam has yet to catch up with how fast we can get our computers running :P

I never usually post in these forums, as most of the guys here aren't very friendly nor appreciate being told that what they're saying is total ♥♥♥♥, but so many people seem to be having this problem everywhere and there's no good fix except "uninstall / reinstall" which is ♥♥♥♥. And we wouldn't be here if it was that easy, eh?

(As far as I'm concerned - you shouldn't even be reading this unless you've exhausted all the options such as "turn it off, disconnect, reconnect, turn it on again" with everything.)

Either way - this issue is officially FIXED in my book (thanks to me - cheers steam support, you are very crap indeed).

Check the modes. IEEE 802.11b is the oldest and most stable [on the lappy R780 aka "The Red Rabbid" (I'm on "The Beast MkII" aka "Teh B1tch", because it's running Win7 and has been nothing but a b1tch since I started building it, all the way through to config and install of software - and now even something simple like playing a god-damn computer game). Go for that.

I should add that, after you've managed to get it to connect, update and have started downloading games / whatever - you can change the wireless, or whatever network adapter's, mode back and it appears to work fine.
In fact, I'd recommend it, if you don't - your internet browsing; p2p downloads; any other wireless network capacity, will be severely reduced from the speed that your wireless adapter is able to achieve.

Fatehehhhh
07-14-2010, 06:06 PM
Bump because nothing here has worked for me and I need someone to help me. I just bought TF2 yesterday, too! D:

Teh_Saccade
07-15-2010, 01:58 PM
Will you please post as much system info (or link to an output file) for your current Win7 config, Fatehehhhh?

It helps to know what the individual problem is before recommending a solution

Fatehehhhh
07-16-2010, 11:26 AM
I'm not using Windows 7; I'm actually using Vista. However, here is my system info:

Dell Inspiron 1501 running Vista Home Premium (32 Bit)
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor TK-55
2.0 GB of RAM

I've done everything that OP has, to no avail.

El Marco
07-24-2010, 04:00 AM
:mad:I have the same issues with my laptop, nothing I've tried works. I'm about to give up and never risk buying a Steam Powered game again... (mind you what else is Steam Powered these days, electricity and internal combustion took over for good reason didn't it?)

Excepted steam from the AV client scan, opened the ports up on the firewalls (Steam is excepted on the local Windoze firewall), tried the -tcp trick, downloaded the version from teh website rather than distributed with the game, none of this makes a difference.

Checking my proxy server logs, there isn't even an attempt to access the Internet, the client just sits there and then gives up...

I can't beleive that Steam can't negotiate a modern home setup! loads of people run smoothwall boxes or similar, the advice of disabling AV and firewall from the support site is simply ridiculous...

Any ideas anyone?

Jak3000
09-15-2010, 03:42 PM
copy all of the steam folders into a file (on your desktop if you want. just not in the steam file it self). might take along time to copy but its better then redownloading them. then remove steam but keep the files you copyed. download steam again. then all you have to do is put your oldfiles into the new steam.

This only took me maybe 5mins and i tested a game and every thing was fine.

NTBugtraq
10-07-2010, 01:33 PM
If you're getting this error then the most likely reason is that a firewall is blocking Steam's access to the Internet. To solve the problem myself, I created a firewall rule that allowed outbound TCP connections on ports 27030 through 27039 to any external computer. I would have preferred to make the rule more restrictive (fewer computers) but there appear to be so many computers in the Steam network as to make that impossible.

Anyway, just open that access and the Steam client will install, allow you to create your account, and sign in.

Note: I have no idea if these are the only ports required as I have only just installed the client myself, but it will at least get you in initially.

lkdsfjls322sdas
10-14-2010, 08:36 AM
Thanks for nothing Steam Support. Worst company ever.

Washell
10-14-2010, 08:59 AM
I'm about to give up and never risk buying a Steam Powered game again... (mind you what else is Steam Powered these days, electricity and internal combustion took over for good reason didn't it?)

Coal, Gas, Nuclear, Biomass, Waste gas and some solar plants all turn water into steam and run the steam through a turbine connected to a generator. That means the bulk of the worlds power needs are met by utilizing steam technology. So basically, most of the world is steam powered. What changed is that electricity is now heavily used to transfer and distribute the power.

KBX
10-16-2010, 01:08 PM
Yes pooer block is the problem, diable it and try again
If you use:

Peerblock, PeerGuardian or any IP-blocking software
Torrent software that blocks certain IPs or network ports
A HOSTS file designed to block certain ads, websites or applications
A particularly restrictive firewall policy
A router that enforces access policies at certain times, bandwidth thresholds or against certain websites

Disable it or, if possible, add exceptions for Steam.

If you have a functional Internet connection but get this error, it's because something - your computer, your router or your ISP - is blocking access to Steam's servers.

Peerblock and PeerGuardian both offer optional lists that block the IPs Steam uses to communicate. Nine times out of 10, when I see or hear about this problem, it's either this or a HOSTS file issue. The other 1/10th of the time is either an ISP or router block.

apw2
10-16-2010, 01:50 PM
Hows this:

I have this problem.
1 month ago Steam worked perfectly for me, i installed a new game and played it online. didn't play it for a few weeks. 2 days ago i bought another game, tried to open it up on Steam and received the error message titled for this topic.
Nothing has changed on my computer in the last month.
I have disabled my firewall, uninstalled the anti-virus.
Still no luck. Have completely deleted Steam - which deleted 4 games full of saved games without prompting me!! - reinstalled it from scratch, and still having this same problem.
The problem has to be at Steams end.

Pifflestick
10-25-2010, 11:28 PM
Hows this:

I have this problem.
1 month ago Steam worked perfectly for me, i installed a new game and played it online. didn't play it for a few weeks. 2 days ago i bought another game, tried to open it up on Steam and received the error message titled for this topic.
Nothing has changed on my computer in the last month.
I have disabled my firewall, uninstalled the anti-virus.
Still no luck. Have completely deleted Steam - which deleted 4 games full of saved games without prompting me!! - reinstalled it from scratch, and still having this same problem.
The problem has to be at Steams end.

I have the exact same problem as you and have yet to find a solution. I have spent hundreds of dollars on Steam so this is a huge kick to the man-berries, especially since I just bought Fallout New Vegas yesterday.

djzombie
01-03-2011, 11:02 PM

1337 Lobster
01-04-2011, 03:54 PM
Look to resolve this problem i do this:

Delete this "ClientRegistry.blob" BUT THIS IS THE TRICK -- > normally reinstaling Steam over an old instalation could not correct the problem so you have to use the tool of "Control Panel" -- > Add or Remove Programs -- > remove Steam and reinstalling, then try again, tell me if this work!

GL!

didnt work :eek: for me starting to get really annoyed :mad:

PattonCommander
01-04-2011, 04:53 PM
It sounds like the router is your problem

1337 Lobster
01-05-2011, 04:56 PM
It isn't i know that for a fact considering I'm connected to the internet:rolleyes:

impas
01-07-2011, 01:12 PM
Igot that same problem on Win xp 2000 can some1 help me? I will pay for help!!!!

DudeManBro
01-25-2011, 02:52 AM
This problem is happening to me, and has been the past 3 weeks.
I've already uninstalled ALL of my games and steam, and it's still doing this error.

Uevari
01-25-2011, 07:02 AM
Well i just did the unthinkable. I unistalled all my games and steam. Yup thats right and now its finally working!!!!

That did nothing for me. I deleted everything!!! and started anew. I still get nothing. I'm really ticked. I'd use explictives but I bet their against forum rules.

DudeManBro
01-25-2011, 04:16 PM
I'm going to continue bumping this.
I've spent hundreds on games, I've just uninstalled steam and every single game, I just want this program to work.
Why is it that no one has a solution to this yet?
Reformatting won't work for me because I don't have the original CD's from when I had to move out. Normally I would consider reformatting at this point, but obviously that's not possible now.

PunisherSa
02-01-2011, 12:03 AM
Yes peerblock is the problem, diable it and try again[/QUOTE]

BC_Zero
02-01-2011, 12:40 PM
Same problem here and still unfixed.

I'm trying to install Steam on my laptop (Acer with Intel dual core, 1.75 ghz, 2 gb ram, Windows XP Professional) but the error is still there.
I tried to follow the advices before (delate the clientfile and then install Steam again; repair the file, or download it again) but it didn't work.
Then I thought it could be a firewall issue. Disabled Peerguardian and made a rule for the firewall but still the same result. I even tried to use a wired line (I'm using a wireless line now) hoping that would fix this out...
On my desktop computer (with Win 7 Professional) everything works out fine, then I really don't understand WHY won't work on the laptop...

What happens when I install Steam:
- Open Steaminstall.msi file
- Install steam
- Start update (with an old darkgreen skin) and works till 26% then it closes and opens a new update window (with a new black skin) and after a few seconds (15/20 more or less) the error appears.

(Sorry for my bad english)

Silicon Vampire
02-01-2011, 01:49 PM
PeerGardian is in the list of programs that interfere with Steam (https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=9828-SFLZ-9289).

Disabling it still blocks some of Steam's required connections.

BC_Zero
02-01-2011, 02:25 PM
PeerGardian is in the list of programs that interfere with Steam (https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=9828-SFLZ-9289).

Disabling it still blocks some of Steam's required connections.

I removed it and installed ZoneAlarm (the same I'm using on the desktop computer) but still the same error pops up.

EDIT: I read that still ZoneAlarm could cause some problems, but still Setam on the other pc works fine with that firewall D:

EDIT2: Even tried to disable/turn of ZoneAlarm, but stille nothing goes on...

Blade_N
02-15-2011, 01:07 PM
Ok , this is f****** bull♥♥♥♥ , My steam runned perfectly yesterday , I was messing in Gmod and stuff and today - The same problem as the OP , I uninstalled it , and when I installed it with the .msi the updater doesn't even load and shows the same problem.

I've tried.
Deleting ClientBlob or something
Forwarding ports once again
Re-run my router
Block firewall
Block anti-virus
Still no
FIX THIS VALVE
FIXIT

iii
02-20-2011, 06:56 AM
I bought a game a couple of days ago and can't get steam update to work, stuck at 0%. Have tried a lot of the ideas here and am having no luck. Seems pretty crappy so many of us are having these sorts of problems.

Have tried

deleting the blob file
rebooting
reinstalling steam
disabling AVG
using LAN connection instead of WLAN

Tried forwarding a port on the router too, but not sure if I was successful or not

have always been stuck at 0%, eventually get a not connected to internet error, even though I am online. Any help appreciated immensely

Daavpuke
02-23-2011, 05:52 AM
I encountered this problem as well. I thought it would go away with restart, but it kept happening.

Strangely enough I tried repairing it through my Control Panel (Win7) and it didn't work.

After that, I tried to run steaminstall.msi itself and use the repair option there and IT WORKED. Just throwing that out there for anyone who might need another long shot. I'm glad I don't have to redownload all these games..

Good luck, everyone.

EDIT: Oh, perhaps interesting to know - I was running the beta client and it occured after downloading the Tomb Raider Guardian of Light and Archon Classic Demo.

FarrGar
03-17-2011, 11:43 PM
Downloading the steam installer and running as repair worked for me
Clicking repair in programs list did not

Cheers for fixing this problem lads

tam_mckie
03-18-2011, 03:32 AM
I've tried all forms of resolving this problem I can find, including repairing it all over the place with no luck.

I must admit I'm a little surprised this error has been occurring for 2 years now and it doesn't seem like Steam support know what to do with it...

MasterSavely
03-24-2011, 09:21 PM
This is so ridiculous. I can't get anything to work.

PsychoHelix
06-22-2011, 03:32 PM
I recently got this problem, I turned off my firewall to see if that was the problem. Sure enough it worked, I dont expect this to be a long term solution but atleast were gettin somewhere. Turn of your firewall and see if you can run steam, that way we can see if thats the problem.

HKotze
07-01-2011, 01:52 PM
The solution is on the 1st page of this problem and his name is CoenRock. follow his steps ir works. THX dude ur a life saver. It work just like u said

Improvcomic
07-06-2011, 08:56 PM
I have a very similar problem described in this thread, and have been scrambling for solutions.
I connect to the internet through an ethernet cable plugged into our modem.
I use avast! antivirus and have an HP laptop with Windows 7 home basic and a DSL connection speed of about 1000 kb/s.
After installing steam on my computer (in hopes of getting in on these fabulous discounts) I met a very irritating message.
First a gray window that says Steam is updating. That I had no problem with, updates make the net go 'round.
Then after about one minute, the window changed to the error Steam.exe (main exception): To run steam, you must first connect to the internet
I've tried numerous troubleshooting techniques desribed here, and all have failed.
Can anybody who has experienced this exact same error message under similar conditions tell me how (if) they remedied it?
My other option would be to just buy the games I want on disk and pay extra.

GoldenPickaxe
07-08-2011, 09:32 AM
Are there any other solutions? I've done everything but reformatting and deleting my ClientBlob. Steam disappears after I log on, yet Steam.exe still appears in Proccesses. When I re-open Steam, it asks me to log in again. I have tried every repair, I've re-installed multiple times, I'vechanged my internet settings.

Windows 7 64-bit.

headshott
07-13-2011, 02:29 PM
Hi there
Well the resolution of this problem was already given.
1st look this link
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=3093-MKUJ-5773
Steam support tells you to delete all steam files except the following:
steam.exe
steamapps directory (All of Steam's game files are kept here.)

So 1 of those files had an issue and had to be deleted to solve the error problem, and that file is ClientRegistry.blob
Now, as Coenrock said, you have to logout Steam, than delete Clientregistry.blob (located on Steam folder). After that, start steam and he will re-download that file while updating..
If this doesnt work to some, you should restart Steam.
Cheers!

Gad_Olinium
07-13-2011, 03:46 PM
check out the link, for some reason there is a problem with the update file that it doesn't load on your computer, i and many other are having this problem unfortunately steam aren't doing ♥♥♥♥ about it, so don't count on getting this fixed, other user have figured out certain fix but they don't all work and if they work they work for a short time good luck

http://forums.steampowered.com/forum....php?t=1225073

Kuroimaho
08-02-2011, 03:20 AM
Had the same problem.

Repairing from control panel>programs>programs and features didn't help.
Downloading the installer from steampowered.com and installing it again selecting repair did it.

Didn't delete anything after the repair my steam works just as before all my games are still installed.

Abyzzmal
08-26-2011, 09:36 AM
help i've tried all of the above solutions but none seem to work. Can anyone suggest an alternative? I just bought a new laptop running Windows 7 and whenever i want to update steam, it stays at 0% for a couple seconds then it gives me said error. Help please :(

09-26-2011, 05:54 AM
*bump*

Secret Recipe
09-26-2011, 06:06 AM
Had this problem but deleting clientregistry.blob worked for me.You could try backing up your steamapps folder and then doing a complete uninstall of steam followed up by a session of CCleaner,rebooting and then reinstalling Steam.

09-26-2011, 06:35 AM
Had this problem but deleting clientregistry.blob worked for me.You could try backing up your steamapps folder and then doing a complete uninstall of steam followed up by a session of CCleaner,rebooting and then reinstalling Steam.

Hi, thanks for the reply.

I know, i have tried it and it didnt work.

So i deleted everything, even the apps folders.

Then downloaded steam again and installed it fresh.
(i was aware of losing game files, but i am on a good internet connection so i dont care about the download time)

But now it dont ask for login, instead it tries to update steam, and it stands still at 0% for a while, and then shows the error.

This happened 4 - 5 days ago, and still it wont let me update.
I am not using any firewalls (not even on windows xp), have no anti viruses activated.

This is very annoying, and ive been searching the whole web for solutions, with no luck at all.

Deleting, repairing, opening ports etc, ping, trying to trick steam with changing name of files, repairing via the app or trough control panel, nothing works.

please someone help :S

09-26-2011, 08:35 AM
:confused:

i dont know what to do..

Valve support is not an option, did that before and i had allready made a new account with about 10 games in it before they got to resetting the pasword for the old account.

And with this issue i think they will just wait longer in hopes of it getting solved by itself (luck).

sofien
09-26-2011, 02:50 PM
:mad:
no antivirus
no firewall
steam was working fine and couldn't launch the game (css) so I tried to update it by removing all files and not delete steamapps folder and steam.exe
but failed to update f***...plz fix this
(windows xp)

edit : killed PMB.exe (media booster or wtf is this didnt install it I think auto installed with league of legend game) then updated and started steam !

09-27-2011, 01:13 AM
:mad:
no antivirus
no firewall
steam was working fine and couldn't launch the game (css) so I tried to update it by removing all files and not delete steamapps folder and steam.exe
but failed to update f***...plz fix this
(windows xp)

edit : killed PMB.exe (media booster or wtf is this didnt install it I think auto installed with league of legend game) then updated and started steam !

I dont have any PMB.exe :S

09-27-2011, 02:24 AM
lol, IT WORKS!

i threw the router into the wallm got a small crack on the side and the wireless antenna broke off, but it doesnt matter i dont use wireless..

Now it actually works :D

Stone Age 1 - Today 0

powpow

Spy_MasterX
12-03-2011, 07:41 PM
I formated my Harddrive and reinstalled windows 7 64bit, then went directly to steam to install that as the first thing I did. Still got this problem ='(. Steam used to work fine, then stopped using computer for a while, got it back, it had stopped working and giving this stupid error. Don't have any firewalls or any security programs AND my sisters steam works fine on her computer so it can't be our router.

I would REALLY appreciate some help with this, I've searched the internet for answers but no avail. I'd love to be able to start playing all my games again.

Why is a fresh installation of steam not working on a fresh installation of Windows 7?

EDIT: I tried copying across my sisters steam folder and then running it, instead of coming up with the error, it comes up with a dialog box saying it can't connect and can't do offline mode because no login information is stored on this computer. My sister runs exactly the same operating system as she used my installation disc for windows 7.

E.G.
12-24-2011, 12:23 AM
I can't get steam to work! None of the solutions above repaired it. Still broken, still the stupid "Steam requires internet connection". Nothing works at all. Please someone help!

baldgyt
12-29-2011, 05:40 AM
I am new to steam. I must Say that this thread (and many others) makes for sad reading. I assume that "Steam.exe (main exception): To run Steam, you must first connect to the Internet, is just poor quality coding and error handling. (Like programs that default back to "Put Floppy Disk in Drive A:". I suspect that this probably has something to do with my proper firewall - but the error message is fatuous (as you can see I can connect to the internet - so how does it help). I suspect a competent 12 year old could have written code to post a get to a well-known site (e.g. steam) to distinguish between genuine lack of connectivity (I guess a real problem for some) and lack of connectivity on some arbitrary ports that steam want to use.
Actually,if the software detected Windows Vista or Windows 7 it could ask the OS since that's how MS determine whether you have connectivity (look for micorsoft.com).
Once the program had determined this simple fact, perhaps a more helpful message saying "Cannot open ports xyz in the internet - please check your firewall routers settings or search on line etc.) i.e. point the customer in the right direction.

The disappointing bit is that nobody from Steam seems to have suggested this (although to be fair I may not have found it - 2 out of 3 searches are currently ending with a server error - I guess that's because just after Xmas the forum servers are overloaded with people trying to fix errors).

Very disappointing that I haven't been able to find a definitive answers - or that someone in development didn't think to put up an error message that made sense and might actually help many customers - those who don't know what a port or firewall is would be no worse off (and could actually, ask the right question on a forum) and those who do might be able to fix it.

Of course, that might not be my problem but as the error message is so meaningless I can't actually tell.

baldgyt
12-30-2011, 06:38 AM
I can confirm that in my case my external (forefront TMG) firewall did need changing. (I was getting the the fatuous connect to internet message).
I searched for skyrim ports on the steam site without much success but found this when searching externally....
http://gaming.stackexchange.com/questions/34390/what-network-port-does-steam-use
which gives a list which certainly work.

There is also (on the external page) a link to
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=8571-GLVN-8711
which is good (there is an article) - but as it is not apparently tagged by game name you have to know to search for "steam" and not your game name; probably fine if you are regularly user of steam - but not much use if you are new and have a game called "skyrim"

[Does anyone think about this sort of thing at steam? - i.e. make sure that game names are included in the metadata for relevant articles.]

Swifty0x0
05-03-2012, 09:28 PM
I'm having the same issue as the rest of you (Steam reporting and error that I'm not connected to the internet). I've tried all the solutions listed in this thread with zero success.

Now listen. None of the solutions on this thread really address the true problem. Here's how I know this. Steam was working fine last week. This week without adding any new hardware or software on THREE different computers on the network, they all suddenly report the same error.

One computer uses Vista64, another uses Vista32, and the 3rd PC uses Windows 7 (64x). All of these computers could connect to Steam last week, but none can this week!

It can't be Virus software, it isn't Firewalls, or anything else like that because each of these computers, without changing any security configurations, worked just fine a few days ago, and now none of them do.

Every other program connects to the internet, so it's not a hardware problem. I've even looked at my router (which hasn't changed) configuration and it has all the Steam ports enabled (which it automatically did on Steam installation a long time ago).

Something isn't working properly down the line. Steam's installer either has a bug connecting for its updates or whatever, or my ISP has blocked their servers without telling me, and I seriously doubt that, since many others have the same issue.

This is purely a Steam issue. They've messed something up in their latest client servers or the client software.

Sgt Frag
05-24-2012, 04:37 PM
Just tried to install on a computer I have had it installed on before.

No Firewall. XP.

Get this error, funny thing is I am on the internet right now, and I just DL'ed the installer... but installer says I'm not connected? Lol.

Oh well, guess I won't be buying Dead Island after all.

Bad Installer = lost sales.

nber1601
11-03-2012, 12:39 PM
*bump* -sigh-

dylstew
11-03-2012, 01:03 PM
Just tried to install on a computer I have had it installed on before.

No Firewall. XP.

Get this error, funny thing is I am on the internet right now, and I just DL'ed the installer... but installer says I'm not connected? Lol.

Oh well, guess I won't be buying Dead Island after all.

Bad Installer = lost sales.

this.

lomeru
12-20-2012, 01:04 PM
what i did was to download the steam installer file (SteamInstall.msi), run it and do the repair option, it worked fine.
When i run steam again it stpped trying to validate team fortress 2 and i remember before this problem happend i was downloading an update of Tf2 but it was downloading at around 8 kb/s which is not normal at all.Did anybody have the same problem? could it be related to tf2?

daluxe
01-09-2013, 07:48 AM
Any solutions so far?
I've got 'Steam.exe (main exception): To run Steam, you must first connect to the Internet' all the way.
None of the solutions described in this thread worked - deleting everything except SteamApps and .exe nor downloading installer and choosing 'repair'

It's very very bad - I paid money for the game and I've got no options - to play the game I should install Steam but it doesn't work on my computer.
And it's Steam problem judging by this thread.

Curley1234
08-02-2014, 04:15 AM
I can't download steam, and i don't know why ;( when i try to download it, it just say that i don't have any connection. Plz help me!