PDA

View Full Version : more security for accounts

Burnt1234
09-28-2009, 03:22 PM
after getting my account hijacked saturday night i thought of a good idea

how about you guys add a email to confirm what you changed for example i change my password in steam... so i put it in steam and it wont change without me going to email... and confirming it!

i think this would help us from getting accounts hijacked better than without confirmation of us changing things!

KubanitoS
09-28-2009, 03:26 PM
Valve has thought about that before you. :D Pity, you didn't notice, maybe you'd still have your acc.

Link:

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=5151-RUAS-1543

Burnt1234
09-28-2009, 03:32 PM
omg if i knew this .... i would still have it at least i put a ticket in for it!

J3Di
09-28-2009, 04:25 PM
It would be nice to receive a pop-up message when first using the next Steam update to remind people of this.

FeareD
09-28-2009, 09:08 PM
It would be nice to receive a pop-up message when first using the next Steam update to remind people of this.

There is, it's called a change-log.
You know the window that you close after it pop's up once finished updating steam?

>X<
09-28-2009, 09:45 PM
Thats where I read it, and locked my account moments later.

KubanitoS
09-29-2009, 05:17 AM
Someone should post a sticky about this imo...

L.o.D.
09-29-2009, 05:30 AM
There is, it's called a change-log.
You know the window that you close after it pop's up once finished updating steam?

Think about it. Just how many computer users actually read a change-log?
I have never bothered with it myself & it has not affected my PC use.

That's still not to say that Valve shouldn't issue a news item or a pop up stating to verify their emails as a LOT of people do not know about it.

KubanitoS
09-29-2009, 09:11 AM
Think about it. Just how many computer users actually read a change-log?
I have never bothered with it myself & it has not affected my PC use.

That's still not to say that Valve shouldn't issue a news item or a pop up stating to verify their emails as a LOT of people do not know about it.

True. TBH I never bothered with this myself, not even after I've read the update news. I didn't know what this feature was, until someone posted a topic in the forums revealing what this is all about and saying everyone should use it.

So a pop-up or something should be useful.

L.o.D.
09-29-2009, 10:26 AM
I found out by reading the news one day.

Zelete
09-30-2009, 01:03 PM
I too had my account hijacked and Steam Support disabled the account, this was WITH verified email.

Maybe Valve could use something like the World of Warcraft Authenticator:

http://www.staronion.com/maiev/img/authenticator_3.jpg

Optional for those who want extra security :)

L.o.D.
09-30-2009, 01:26 PM
The only way they can change the details is if they also got your email account details.