PDA

View Full Version : Bad controls - is there a fix?

picary
09-29-2009, 07:23 AM
Hi,

I just bought RE5..

Issue 1
The controls are absolutely trash?
For example, when you run, it feels really awkward when you compare it to another 3rd person game, such as Batman.

It feels to me like you can't "look around" and run as the same time.. thus making this a bad console port?

I knew I shouldn't have bought this game :(

Issue 2
Also, you can't seem to shoot and move? Why is it like this!?

Does anybody know what I'm talking about? Is there some sort of setting that can fix these issues?

Thanks

james_2k
09-29-2009, 07:26 AM
Not shooting and moving is a resident evil trademark and you will be hard pressed to find anyone who agrees with you. (of the poeple who have played previous re games)

Farlong
09-29-2009, 08:45 AM
Hi,

I just bought RE5..

Issue 1

Issue 2

1. No. The controls are a bit slower then what you might be used to, but they have kept it this way for the same reasons they kept it slow in Dead Space.
This isn't CS, HL2 or any generic space marine #713 game. It is supposed to be a it slower. If you want spastic-twitchy shooter action with rabid people, try L4D.

It is slower due to a thing called atmosphere.

2. Have you ever tried running with a revolver, pistol, smg or rifle and aiming at the same time?
(its about the only place RE5 can claim to be realistic)

eternality
09-29-2009, 09:07 AM
Hi,

I just bought RE5..

Issue 1
For example, when you run, it feels really awkward when you compare it to another 3rd person game, such as Batman.

It feels to me like you can't "look around" and run as the same time.. thus making this a bad console port?

Issue 2

Does anybody know what I'm talking about? Is there some sort of setting that can fix these issues?

Thanks

I agree, and wish I never purchased this game either. After playing so much L4D and KF I find this game very boring.

NukeJockey
09-29-2009, 03:12 PM
People these days, are so ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥.

Why dont you read some reviews so you can make an informed decision on whether or not you want to buy this game. This information has been out for so ♥♥♥♥ing long, yet there are so many complaints about the same ♥♥♥♥ in here.

Go play the first few Resident Evil Games and you'll understand why this game is the way it is. As for your problems, The controls are able to be remapped, but thats obviously not your problem, the reason why the camera is so close behind you, is to cut down on your peripheral vision, ala resident evil 1/2/3 etc. Its meant to be like that.

Secondly, shooting while standing, once again, its a staple of the whole resident evil series, if you dont like it, go and play gears of war or something.

Dont complain about how you wish you never bought it etc. because it doesnt meet your expectations to become generic game #105932, instead, get some brains about you, and read some ♥♥♥♥ing reviews.

picary
09-29-2009, 04:49 PM
Calm down people, it isn't like I torrented this or anything. I was asking if there were any config tweaks to fix the issues I mentioned above.

Thanks for the replies nevertheless.

fuzzyrando
09-29-2009, 07:57 PM
Calm down people, it isn't like I torrented this or anything. I was asking if there were any config tweaks to fix the issues I mentioned above.

Thanks for the replies nevertheless.

The thing is, there's nothing to fix, because nothing is broken. It's that way by design. The controls are actually great. So they're not how you imagined, nor what you're used to - that doesn't make them bad, just different.

You should try and embrace the game the way it is. It doesn't take long to get used to, and you might even be thankful for being introduced to a different style of gameplay, and the new challenges it brings :)

HylianTheBlade
09-29-2009, 11:12 PM
OP, you can't be taken seriously because all of your "problems" are something u could have seen if you would have watched even a SINGLE youtube vid of this games gameplay.. ex...stop and shooting.. not being able to look around without stopping.. give it a chance it is a pretty good game, theres plenty of generic action shooters you can go play if u still don't like it.

Squallboogie
09-29-2009, 11:24 PM
i found when you do the fix to enable the lazor sight for the keyboard mouse the controls felt a lot better. of course you still cant run and shoot but thats fine with me, its what resident evil does.

Yvese
09-30-2009, 12:04 AM
OP's a perfect example of a human being that should never spread his genes.

Do us a favor.

ExDee!
09-30-2009, 05:14 AM
I am going to be a helpful person and actually help the OP other than flame him. Picary, both of those are design choices, chosen by capcom for whatever reason(Most likely to try to stop it being an action game or something), from what I understand, both of those effects have been here since Resident Evil 4, don't worry, there is nothing wrong with your controls.

synx
09-30-2009, 05:44 AM
I am going to be a helpful person and actually help the OP other than flame him. Picary, both of those are design choices, chosen by capcom for whatever reason(Most likely to try to stop it being an action game or something), from what I understand, both of those effects have been here since Resident Evil 4, don't worry, there is nothing wrong with your controls.

Actually, it's been like that since the first Resident Evil in 1996.

Hell, you couldn't look around at all in 1-2-3 because they had static pre-rendered backrounds, and you viewed your character from a fixed camera angle on each screen.

CV was the first one to feature full 3D, but you still couldn't control the camera (unless you were playing the mini-game in first person). In some places the camera would follow behind you, but in most it was fixed to a wall, and would merely rotate to focus on you.

4 and 5 are the only ones where you can free-look.

None of them have ever had moving and shooting.

picary
09-30-2009, 05:52 AM
I originally thought it was another bad console port, but judging from all the replies from the users (on the Steam forum, AKA PC gamers), I'll take your feedback and suggestions to heart and make myself play more of the game.

Hopefully when I finish it I'll be enjoying the different gameplay.

Again, cheers for the replies! :D

shotbirds
09-30-2009, 08:14 AM
If anyone has any trouble with these controls they must be absolutely ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ because they are f*cking easy.

Kitsunami
09-30-2009, 08:15 AM
The controls are great, ONCE you play and stop whining/crying/thinking to yourself' these suck'

Play, and just play. You quickly get used to them and suddenly they dont suck anymore.

shotbirds
10-02-2009, 05:17 AM
It's exactly like a regular FPS, except this time you can do quick turn arounds and open and invi, which is already 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9. So hard.

Squisher
10-03-2009, 03:57 PM
Why all the hate against him, guys? Did you notice how the game has changed from the very first RE? From an Adventure/Horror/Survival game to - lets face it - a shooter with crippled controls? No more puzzles just shooting action..
So atmosphere is not an argument anymore.. It just doesn't feel right, an army guy who can't at least walk and reload.. come on.. I mean the game is still fun though. But has not much in common with the original part besides the 'don't walk and shoot' rule.
After some time you will get used to it. Since your enemies act like brainless morons, you won't have any problems cause of the controls..

Anyone noticed the mouse sensitivity changes during gameplay?

hf

Tarlok
10-04-2009, 07:19 PM
I hate to agree with the other replies but there is no fix. This game is what it is, a shooter with crippled controls as Squisher puts it, there is also the QTE boss events that will leave your fingers begging for mercy. One either loves this game or hates it, there is no middle ground. I hated it on the colsole, I doubt the pc version is much better.

NukeJockey
10-04-2009, 11:49 PM
Agreed - QTE sucks, but give me an example of crippled controls, I think some of you guys are confusing controls with gameplay :)

Tarlok
10-05-2009, 03:43 AM
Cripples as in not intuitive or smooth in any way. Batman pulls it off awesomely even on the pc port. The control scheme has not evolved. Its like playing doom3 with doom 1 or 2 controls. Sure the game looks great but it could be real life looking vr and it would still not make up for how crappy the controls are. One more example just in case you still don't get it. Its a caveman driving a corvette across a frozen lake.

Squisher
10-05-2009, 04:15 AM
Have you tried to kick an enemy with ammo laying around him? A dedicated key would be nice.
Tried to shoot or stab spiders, dogs who are coming close?
If you deliver a shooter than I could expect some basic movements which are genre standard. The "don't walk and use a weapon" rule doesn't add anything to the game(play). In the most situations I don't care, but in some its only annoying (as I'm playing shooters mostly, reload is some kind of reflex..).

Remember the first adventures where you got ~10 verbs listed as actions which you had to click explicitly? Today you have got a context sensitive cursor.. Yeah gameplay.. Oh I forgot before that you had to type in your action (walk left). A relict from the past.

And yeah the inventory (which is not controls but interface).. Tried to drop something? Oh it has evaporated.. Tried to drop something off your partners inventory? Oh exchange first.. Tried to open the context menu of an item by right click? What a mess..

Btw QTE sucks hard...(no.1 reason of death ^^)

And still I kind of like this game.. ;)

Syncourt
10-05-2009, 05:57 AM
The day resident evil controls like generic shooter #3765 is the day I will stop playing them completely. Sure there are a few slight issues like picking something up instead of kicking or (gasp) knifing a spider... but the controls are very playable.

I definitely don't want to be able to move and shoot. In a game where the enemies are slowly closing in moving and shooting would make things much too easy. Ever played killing floor 1 player? that's basically what RE5 would be with move and shoot; constantly backtracking and luring the enemies all the time so they cant surround you. How would you ever even get grabbed? Why would you need action/dodge buttons if you can simply dodge while shooting? Due to these controls retreating is a tactic that needs to be planned out, same with reloading. Taking these away would do nothing but dumb the game down for people incapable of thinking ahead.

I love the controls for this game, they make the game play out completely different to any other game out there and I like it that way.

Maggost
10-05-2009, 07:45 AM
The controls are fine for me IMO but sometimes its kinda annoying the sensitivity, i wish i could configure my Logitech rumblepad 2...=(

NukeJockey
10-05-2009, 04:24 PM
Once again, apart from the stupid F to pickup and F to kick ♥♥♥♥, youre giving me example of flawed gameplay, not controls. Controls are literally that, what you use to control the player. Gameplay is how the game plays, while using those controls. And I agree, knifing is just about pointless in it, but once again, that was capcoms gameplay decision, controlling the knife is easy, space and left click, hitting something with it? Different story, but once again - Gameplay.

As I've stated before, I think Capcoms decision to to keep you immobile while shooting is a good thing, it atleast adds to some of the tension and scare factor that this game is otherwise lacking.

I cant say I've had too many problems with trying to knife ♥♥♥♥, because I dont bother, shooting them is easier, and I always seem to have enough ammo.

If you dont like the game, thats cool, but it is working as intended, and it plays well enough to be close enough to the old school RE games (control-wise) but at the same time keeps it up to date.

Syncourt
10-07-2009, 02:05 AM
controlling the knife is easy, space and left click, hitting something with it? Different story, but once again - Gameplay.

Yup. Rather than simply running at the bad guy and spamming your melee you actually have to use it appropriately. Anybody with RE4 knife practice knows the trick, lure the zombie, dodge his attack then run into him and slash him while he is recovering. Slashing low across their kneecaps will drop them down on the ground for a head smashing but you can also cause a stun from an upper body swing and punch/kick them away too.

Its not bad, it's just different and more challenging. It was actually too easy in RE4 to knife. If you could run around slaughtering everything with just your knife, whats the point in ammo?

The only 1 thing I don't like about the controls is how the mouse looks straight ahead when you start to move, causing a the camera to bump up and down as you run along trying to see things.

picary
10-22-2009, 06:23 AM
Took a break from RE5, and had a short go (1 hour) tonight, and I gotta say, the game is growing on me!

Had quite a blast in quite a short time, with many "bodies" turning into these flying creatures, and these zombie dogs.. love it :D

Taz
10-25-2009, 12:51 PM
Having just purchased RE5 and never played the series before, I found the controls and FOV awkward at first. It really takes some getting used to but it's doable. What I can't get used to is the fact that you can't use the knife and move at the same time. You can't run up to a target and thrust the knife into them. That's is something that I wish could be fixed.

picary
10-25-2009, 04:53 PM
Yeah, I still find not being able to move + shoot/knife annoying as well, so I just shoot instead of knifing

n3ko
10-26-2009, 03:43 PM
RE5 got typical console controls.

on console it feels right.

on PC it is frustrating.

and don't forget that because of those slow and not precise analog gamepads AI is dumbed down to oblivion. they stand around and count sheep or something. that's why mouse movement feels so awkward.

PC gamers should say thanks to little handicapped brother that is consoles.

NJuice
10-26-2009, 04:02 PM
Parasite-infected, brain damaged people are supposed to be as smart and have tactical combat maneuvers as the average squad of marines now?

n3ko
10-26-2009, 11:12 PM
lol they do tactical maneuvers. remember when they dodge your bullets?

and they do that pretty fast.

monkeyroach
10-27-2009, 06:38 AM
these are the same controls from re4

xianghua
10-28-2009, 06:26 AM
Hi,

I just bought RE5..

Issue 1

Issue 2

Thanks

Resident Evil 5 - Genre: Survival Horror
Half-Life 2 - Genre: First Person Shooter

verkinix
11-26-2009, 09:17 PM
I'm having a slight issue with vertical and horizontal speeds. When I aim up and down, it's super fast (too fast to aim) and when I aim left and right it is way too slow (too slow to aim). Is there a way to balance the speeds between the x and y axes? Only thing I can think of is to set up my razer drivers to have independent sensitivities. It just doesnt seem normal to be slow in one and fast in another.

I'm not on wide screen or anything like that. I'm simply not sure why it would be that way. Other than that, the game runs fine.

PoIson895
11-27-2009, 01:57 AM
I'm having a slight issue with vertical and horizontal speeds. When I aim up and down, it's super fast (too fast to aim) and when I aim left and right it is way too slow (too slow to aim). Is there a way to balance the speeds between the x and y axes? Only thing I can think of is to set up my razer drivers to have independent sensitivities. It just doesnt seem normal to be slow in one and fast in another.

I'm not on wide screen or anything like that. I'm simply not sure why it would be that way. Other than that, the game runs fine.

Sounds like mouse acceleration, which is the devil...

verkinix
11-27-2009, 08:32 AM

Yeah, adjusting my razer driver sensitivity settings (moving vertical way down) helped quite a bit. doesnt seem to be affecting anything else either. Who am I to complain.

corwyn77
11-28-2009, 10:53 AM
these are the same controls from re4

So what happened to this:

"a control scheme tuned specifically for your mouse and keyboard"

and are these actually the controls that are in Devil May Cry 4, as is implied in the hype? Or are the clunky RE4 controls what they mean by 'advanced'?

"advanced version of Capcom’s proprietary game engine, MT Framework, which powered the hit titles Devil May Cry 4, Lost Planet and Dead Rising"

Based on this I was actually expecting a better control scheme on the pc, not the same ones as RE4. Of course pc demos are not available here so we can't see them for ourselves. RE4 was okay and I got used to the controls but I don't think I need to play it again.

Zargas
11-28-2009, 01:07 PM
2. Have you ever tried running with a revolver, pistol, smg or rifle and aiming at the same time?
(its about the only place RE5 can claim to be realistic)

Actually i have
With a MP5 2 pistoll a AG 3 and 1 7.65MM sniper rifle during my time in the army
(A few others as well but on the topp of my head this is all i \

it not hard at all, there are a few tricks such as aiming with your finger (Think of it as pointing, you point and the gun goes there)
Or you have your gun at your waist and aim from there
with practice you can actally pull that off

While not as accurate it will be deadly
You can walk and aim down the sights and a light run can be done

Aiming while moving is not hard as long as you have the practice or understand the trick to it

Saltine Kraken
12-01-2009, 06:40 PM
I bought this game a couple of days ago because I had a blast playing it on the 360 with a friend.
I can sympathize with OP's complaint on the keyboard and mouse controls, why they decided to swap the laser sight for an ugly crosshair is beyond me.

After I took some time to familiarize myself with the controls I realized I still didn't like it so I went out and bought a 360 controller for my PC. She drives like a dream now, I suggest you do the same.

fskpzns
12-02-2009, 12:57 AM
Controls in RE5 is for the 1st time normal and by playing RE5 i don't have feeling that i play port from consoles like i have with RE4. Everything is fitted to one hand (buttons) and other hand is on mice.

corwyn77
12-03-2009, 07:35 PM
Actually I take it back. RE5 actually accomodates a mouse (rmb to aim, lmb to shoot). I enjoyed RE4 but the clunky pc controls made it an ordeal at times.

Still has the clunky no move and shoot but I can "live" with that.

trek554
12-03-2009, 08:18 PM
I bought this game a couple of days ago because I had a blast playing it on the 360 with a friend.
I can sympathize with OP's complaint on the keyboard and mouse controls, why they decided to swap the laser sight for an ugly crosshair is beyond me.

After I took some time to familiarize myself with the controls I realized I still didn't like it so I went out and bought a 360 controller for my PC. She drives like a dream now, I suggest you do the same.
I too went out and bought a controller for this and a couple of other games. I normally love a keyboard and mouse setup but overall the controller feels a little better to me for RE5. I could never hit the right damn keyboard buttons under pressure but that is not an issue now. the aiming is a little odd at first but overall the controller seems better suited for this game.

btw the only console I own is a Gamecube that I bought just to go through all of the other RE games. RE4 was better in almost every way on the Gamecube than on the pc. the only thing the pc version had over the Gamecube was the extra content.

enggmaster
12-03-2009, 10:05 PM
I don't like how when I'm running, you can't turn very easily as when you're aiming, but otherwise, the controls are pretty good.

I wish they'd give us the laser sight instead of the crosshairs though.

Lufonse
12-04-2009, 10:15 AM
I don't like how when I'm running, you can't turn very easily as when you're aiming, but otherwise, the controls are pretty good.

I wish they'd give us the laser sight instead of the crosshairs though.

laser sights can be turned on simply by going into the RE5 config and changing Stereo to "ON"

why stereo? im not sure, but all that matters is i get mah lasers back. You'll still have the gross crosshairs, but you kind of stop noticing them after a while. Kind of like wearing glasses! You get the good sight, and after a while you stop noticing the frames! Lol

hope that helps :D

enggmaster
12-04-2009, 01:07 PM
laser sights can be turned on simply by going into the RE5 config and changing Stereo to "ON"

why stereo? im not sure, but all that matters is i get mah lasers back. You'll still have the gross crosshairs, but you kind of stop noticing them after a while. Kind of like wearing glasses! You get the good sight, and after a while you stop noticing the frames! Lol

wtf, does that really work? and why would changing the sound do that?

trek554
12-04-2009, 01:18 PM
wtf, does that really work? and why would changing the sound do that?
I am guessing thats the 3D stereo settings which have nothing to do with sound.

EDIT: after actually looking, that is what the setting is for. its a graphics setting not an audio setting and is for 3D stereo that Nvidia users can use with the right monitor and glasses. why they use the laser for 3D only when using keyboard/mouse is strange though.

Red Exodus
12-04-2009, 05:51 PM
I have a 360 pad so the controls aren't an issue. I can't aim as well as I can with the mouse but the movement and item management feels better on the pad to me.

As for not being able to move while shooting, well, that's just part of the design. If you could run and shoot in games like RE and Dead Space they'd have to design the enemies with that in mind and it would be just another shooter. My biggest gripe is that sometimes the laser shows up on enemies when you're near a wall or something but when you shoot it hits the wall even though the laser is on the enemy, kinda like the laser is off to the right.

trusteft
12-04-2009, 07:35 PM
Are you sure you can't move and shoot in Dead Space?

picary
12-04-2009, 07:43 PM
Fail troll?

enggmaster
12-04-2009, 09:16 PM
I have a 360 pad so the controls aren't an issue. I can't aim as well as I can with the mouse but the movement and item management feels better on the pad to me.

As for not being able to move while shooting, well, that's just part of the design. If you could run and shoot in games like RE and Dead Space they'd have to design the enemies with that in mind and it would be just another shooter. My biggest gripe is that sometimes the laser shows up on enemies when you're near a wall or something but when you shoot it hits the wall even though the laser is on the enemy, kinda like the laser is off to the right.

Well actually in Dead Space you can move and shoot, I think they just made it that way in RE 5 because that's just a trademark of the series.

PhillB
12-05-2009, 12:47 AM

There's a mod around here that turns the crosshair off so that you'll only see the laser. Doesn't work if you have HDR set to high though as it's glitchy with stereo set to on.

Red Exodus
12-05-2009, 10:09 PM
Well actually in Dead Space you can move and shoot, I think they just made it that way in RE 5 because that's just a trademark of the series.

Yeah I know you can move and shoot in dead space but it's not like other games where you can run at top speeds with your guns blazing.

trusteft
12-05-2009, 11:43 PM
Most games are not Unreal Tournament.

alhudson
12-07-2009, 02:16 AM
I just pick up RE5 last week.. and is AMAZING... WOW Capcom made a very solid game and corrected all mistakes made in RE4 for PC.

I agree with someone else here that says who finds RE5 Keyboard+Mouse controls difficult is a ♥♥♥♥♥♥.

This is not a FPS and for a Survival horror are very well designed.

AntiFritz
12-07-2009, 03:44 AM
I just pick up RE5 last week.. and is AMAZING... WOW Capcom made a very solid game and corrected all mistakes made in RE4 for PC.

I agree with someone else here that says who finds RE5 Keyboard+Mouse controls difficult is a ♥♥♥♥♥♥.

This is not a FPS and for a Survival horror are very well designed.
Capcom didnt make re4 for pc. Ubisoft did.

trek554
12-07-2009, 03:53 AM
Capcom didnt make re4 for pc. Ubisoft did. Ubisoft is the publisher. SourceNext did the pc port.

Destructo-Bot
12-07-2009, 04:36 AM
Poor controls are not an acceptable way to raise tension.
Resident Evil 5 controls like the protagonist is a drunk paraplegic with a stiff neck and Parkinson's disease.

Penumbra controls like a standard shooter and was quite able to raise tension, despite it's other flaws. Batman:AA is also a survival game at it's heart; Running in with proverbial guns blazing will get you very dead very quickly yet it has solid controls. Mass Effect is another over the shoulder game, though more of a shooter. It also controls very well. You can't run and shoot accurately but if you really need to you can spray and pray on the move, something a trained soldier in a desperate situation just might attempt.

Sorry guys, the OP was correct. The controls are lousy and there is NO call for it given the fact that every example listed here reasoning for it has been handily dealt with by other games of similar genre, style, or mode. It's just bad design. I spend more time fighting the controls than I spend fighting the baddies. Every time I move the game wrenches the camera forward. Apparently, running and shooting is not the only thing the protagonist can't do together, he also can't run and turn his head.

The lousy controls cause me to lose focus on the enemies, and instead focus on trying to force the game to do what I'd like. This is the last thing that should be happening.

p.s. not allowing binding to extra mouse buttons either? Why? To raise tension apparently. Maybe they should randomly swap the inputs at various intervals so that when you want to run you shoot instead, when you fire you'll open your inventory, and when you try to use something you'll format all your hard drives. It'll be extra scary :)

Ceracryst
12-07-2009, 11:36 PM
On the gamepad, RE5's controls make perfect sense, and create a very different pace of game play.

The KB+M implementation is a very good translation of the control scheme. Usually I'd be the first to cry, "CONSOLE PORT! >:(" but... somehow for RE5, it's different. The entire game is based around a very methodic and deliberate game play. I really welcome it.

Though a KB+M is very much more powerful as once I was cornered by 3 zombies and I was able to get out by headshotting all three of them in rapid succession.

That said, it took me a while to get used to how clunky it felt on KB/M, even after I had played on PS3. There's shooting involved, but it's a different subgenre to most shooting games on the market.

Killing Floor comes close to the deliberate gameplay of RE5 -- especially with handguns, but RE5 really takes the cake with its hand-to-hand and different animations for shooting the arms or legs.

L4D lets you run like the wind, but the gameplay and handling feels paper-thin. Probably something to do with how inconsequential precise aiming is in that game. Duke Nukem 3D had similar fast movement, but shooting was somehow more satisfactory.

AntiFritz
12-08-2009, 04:22 AM
I havent played re5 but ive played alot of re4 on wii and pc and its controls are spot on (talking about wii). If re4 has moving while shooting it would be boring and just be another 3rd person shooter. In re4 the controls add a sense of tension such as when you get to close to an enemy and you have to turn around and run ten metres back with it out of view or when the cameras so close you can only see leons head and arm.

MikeHaggarKJ
12-08-2009, 05:27 PM
This isn't a bad console port, it's a great one. The game is built around these limitations and without them the game would be broken. If you're to close-minded to appreciate the game for being different from most third person shooters (if you can even call RE5 that) then that's your own problem.

There's actually a mod to get only laser-sights.
http://z6.invisionfree.com/Resident_Evil_4_PC/index.php?showtopic=9825
No, it doesn't. Also the game doesn't have any forced mouse acceleration or mouse acceleration at all.

bre30127
06-22-2010, 02:43 PM
Poor controls are not an acceptable way to raise tension.
Resident Evil 5 controls like the protagonist is a drunk paraplegic with a stiff neck and Parkinson's disease.

Penumbra controls like a standard shooter and was quite able to raise tension, despite it's other flaws. Batman:AA is also a survival game at it's heart; Running in with proverbial guns blazing will get you very dead very quickly yet it has solid controls. Mass Effect is another over the shoulder game, though more of a shooter. It also controls very well. You can't run and shoot accurately but if you really need to you can spray and pray on the move, something a trained soldier in a desperate situation just might attempt.

Sorry guys, the OP was correct. The controls are lousy and there is NO call for it given the fact that every example listed here reasoning for it has been handily dealt with by other games of similar genre, style, or mode. It's just bad design. I spend more time fighting the controls than I spend fighting the baddies. Every time I move the game wrenches the camera forward. Apparently, running and shooting is not the only thing the protagonist can't do together, he also can't run and turn his head.

The lousy controls cause me to lose focus on the enemies, and instead focus on trying to force the game to do what I'd like. This is the last thing that should be happening.

This... so much this! I REALLY don't think the controlls were used to enhance tension. Maybe some parts... like not moving and shooting at the same time. I can see that building tension. But the rest of it is just FRUSTRATING. They have buttons for quick turns (which is REALLY a holdover from consoles) so it's clear they think you need to be able to turn quickly...just not with the mouse??? So, fun game, crappy controls. The enemies are even balanced for the crappy controls. They run toward you and then stop and creep around you so you can sloowwwllly turn and shoot. If anything, that breaks the tension.

cwbys21
06-22-2010, 04:51 PM
Was it really worth resurrecting this thread after 6 months to say that?

bre30127
06-22-2010, 10:23 PM
So people need to make up their minds. Do we do a search or start a new thread? I knew if i just put this up there someone would tell me to search ... plus I happened to really agree with what that guy said.

Mr.Rashad
06-23-2010, 01:52 PM
I felt the same way, i guess it takes time to get use to like anything else

cradchaw
06-25-2010, 12:55 PM
Well this tells me to save my 13 bucks on that sale...

RaranTroff
06-25-2010, 01:11 PM
I know I could never get used to them, even on the console. I can only imagine what they are like on the PC. Granted I never played RE4 so that was prolly part of the issue. I still traded the game in 3 days after I got it.

It just felt like to me that capcom had to handicap the player so the pacing and such were controlled. I like to play a game not be played by it.

proto1000
06-25-2010, 01:28 PM
Nothing wrong with the controls...it's different. If you can't get over that it is not a FPS like Unreal Tournament 3, maybe this game is not for you. Resident Evil 4 & 5 are really well made games.

If you've played games like Dead Space, Mass Effect, Gears of War, or Red Faction Guerrilla, you'll probably like this game too. Most similar to Dead Space I think.

IGN review w/ gameplay video:
http://pc.ign.com/articles/102/1023597p1.html

Score: 9.3 out of 10

Gamespot review:
http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/residentevil5/review.html

Score: 8.5 out of 10

OGkush&CO
06-25-2010, 03:27 PM

Thanks

Yes, its called buying a different game.

Juche
06-25-2010, 03:38 PM
I love how so many people used this thread as an outlet for their oh-so-edgy and contrarian FPS/TPS hate instead of simply stating that nothing was wrong and the controls were simply a design choice. :rolleyes:

ArdentFury
06-26-2010, 11:00 AM
I just bought RE5 yesterday after reading a few reviews and since it's a supposed to be one of the best horror games around. Anyhow I tried playing it today and I'm totally lost. That is the camera appears to be pointing up at a 90 degree angle and I can't seem to walk forward. The "w" key sends me in a circle and only when I press & hold "q" does the camera come up to what appears to be 180 degrees. I've tried playing around with the options to fix this but so far no dice. I also get a message whenever I move the mouse without touching a mouse button stating that a game controller is now in use. I've looked around on this forum and found a lot of talk about the controls but my particular problems sound like they're a true problem and any help is appreciated.

ArdentFury
06-26-2010, 06:42 PM
I was able to get the direction controls work by manually reseting the defaults. And I think I've narrowed down my camera issues to a mouse problem. Anyone else out there having these kind of issue? I'd really like to start playing and stop staring at the sky by default. Thanks in advance for any help you can send my way!

A. James
06-26-2010, 07:34 PM
controls are good imo. my only slight gripe I have is the lack of speed when looking side to side. I should be able to look back and forth quicker, but it works for the game. And I must say Damn this game is intense....I just finished the first chapter after the holding out against the guy with the huge ♥♥♥ axe. :eek::eek: