PDA

View Full Version : SUGGESTION: Are you afk?

cdeathkd
09-29-2009, 12:32 PM
L4D is now starting trying to start updating (and failing at it) which makes me feel that... yes although such events as major updates are popular and rare, theres still some streamlining that could be done...

for example does the user whos steam account is on all day and who leaves it on just in case of an update get priority over someone else, who at exactly the same time is sat there waiting to play the game? Yes we have "automatic update" for a reason but surely priority should be to those actually using they're steam account for the first few hours after an update before working down to "idle" steam users?

linfosoma
09-29-2009, 12:42 PM
I think that the first come first served system is better, this is a store, the store should sell it's products to everyone not to some customers first and new customers later or it would lose sales.
The same applies to updates.

chopstix
09-29-2009, 12:59 PM
They just need some a better updating system. Preferably uploading standalone patches on various servers to spread users around, as well as other things. They released the update and put the sale for the game up at the exact same time. All this does is spell disaster for the servers.

At minimum, the sale should have waited until tomorrow, giving users the time to update before servers get hammered more.

phoenix5
09-29-2009, 02:27 PM
At minimum, the sale should have waited until tomorrow, giving users the time to update before servers get hammered more.

Bingo! <10bingos>

CannibalBob
09-29-2009, 03:02 PM
I've never had any major issues with updates (and I've been using steam actively for almost 2 years now), so I don't get what the fuss is about.

At most, I've had to wait an hour or two for a patch. If you can't wait an hour or two, well, then I think someone should get a hobby :D

Regardless, it's a good idea though - lagging AFK users' updates by an hour or two, in order to reduce server load.

Thing is, it's up to Valve to decide if it's worth putting the effort in based on the number of AFK users. As far as we know, the number of AFK users could be 1% of the update-ee's!

DoubleD
09-29-2009, 08:33 PM
I keep Steam running 24/7. Very few times I close it.

Psy-Phi
09-29-2009, 10:18 PM
Same here TrippleD. The only time it's closed is when my computer is off or going to be offline because I'm setting up something on the network that requires the network to be down.

Why would you close Steam at all? It doesn't eat much memory at all.

The only thing annoying me right now is the combination of Steam and Comcast. Been downloading Batman Arkham Asylum since I got home at 6:15 or so, it's now 9:16, and it's still not done. Yeah I know it's about 8Gb. But I can't download faster than 500kbps, mostly in the high 400's...and then Comcast keeps stifling my download after about 20-30 minutes so I have to disconnect the Cable and reconnect it to start up at the normal "speed boost" speed.