PDA

View Full Version : PC starts then shuts down after 10 seconds

Jimiester
09-30-2009, 07:10 AM
Hey, i just recently bought a new video card (GTX 260) and a new Power Supply (Corsair HX 520W) and whenever i start the PC up it gets to about half way through the vista loading bar and shuts down.

My Specs:
Intel Core 2 Quad q6600
Corsair HX 520W (Previous: Stock Thermaltake 430W PSU)
Nvidia GTX 260 (Previous: Nvidia 8800GT)
Asus P5K-VM
4GB 800MHz RAM
Windows Vista 32-bit

I was thinking it might be overheating of the CPU and it turns off automatically to prevent frying but i might be wrong. I was hoping someone can give me a few ideas i can try and i would be very thankful of any help.

lhwj
09-30-2009, 07:20 AM
If you've still got your old power supply and graphics card try booting up with them.

Tried safe mode yet?

Luke

Astaco
09-30-2009, 07:34 AM
To check the temperature of your CPU, you can enter the BIOS (in most cases you access it by pressing DEL or F2 on the first screen, otherwise look to something like on the screen mentioning 'setup' or similiar stuff).

Navigate through the menus. There should be something like 'hardware monitor', 'temperatures' or '... chipset ...'.

You shouldn't edit any settings and preferably leave without saving anything (you just wanted to look the temperature up).

Your power supply should be fine (I'm running a similiar setup with 550W).
You could try your old one anyway (or graphics card, too, as lhwj said), because sometimes (rarely) the PS doesn't work correct.

EDIT:
Didn't want to spam / create another post, but:
lhwj's next post: Good idea / point! :)

lhwj
09-30-2009, 07:37 AM
You could try your old one anyway (or graphics card, too, as lhwj said), because sometimes (rarely) the PS doesn't work correct.

This reminds me: have you got both 6 pin PCIe connector plugged into your GTX260?

Luke

Jimiester
09-30-2009, 08:02 AM
Yeah i have got both of the 6 pin PCIe connectors plugged in and i did try starting in safe mode and still no go, im trying to get into the BIOS to check but i don't have enough time to navigate until the PC shuts down.

I found that the Corsair HX520W comes with alot of different cables, so i hope im not using the wrongs ones to connect each component. Im going to try and switch some cables and see if that works but im having doubts.

Astaco
09-30-2009, 08:25 AM
You don't even have enough time to get into the BIOS ?!?
Okay, I suppose then it's not the temperature.
Even my Core i7 didn't get that quickly hot when the cooler didn't fit perfectly.

When you boot up, do you hear a 'beep' or a 'beep sequence' ?
A single beep is normal (on some systems even two [I heard]).
A sequence of beeps (count and length) states an error type.
Which error it can be is listed in the manual of the mainboard.

EDIT:
Other errors may be listed on the first screen aswell (if you don't have a logo instead enabled).

zezzex
09-30-2009, 09:13 AM
My first guess would of been driver issues with the video card but if it shuts down during bios, something else is wrong.

Try using your new power supply with your old video card. See if that works.

I would also try using you old power supply with your new video card (if it has all the connectors you need).

If i were to make a guess, i would think something is wrong with your power supply, but i don't know of any sure fire way to test it and to know for sure.

steveroger
09-30-2009, 09:14 AM
Check to see if your HSF is seated properly. If your CPU could be overheating can you check the temps. If you overclocked that Q6600 put it back to factory settings. Possible bad motherboard.

Jimiester
09-30-2009, 09:27 AM
I Hear one beep so thats normal, using my old power supply with the new card wouldnt work because its just not powerful enough (and because of connector issues). I tried disconnecting the video card and starting up and it still shuts down after 5 - 10 seconds, oh and the HSF is seated properly on top of the CPU and seems to be functioning correctly (i havent changed the thermal compound in quite some time though). Ive never overclocked my CPU, so i guess i could try using my old card on the new power supply to see if anything gives.

Oh and thanks for being really helpful. :)

Astaco
09-30-2009, 10:23 AM
Possible bad motherboard.
Yeah, that would be my (next) guess, too. :(

FluffyBunni
09-30-2009, 12:10 PM
Try resetting the CMOS.

Jimiester
10-01-2009, 04:15 AM
Ok i fixed the problem, the heat sink fan was not properly placed on top of the CPU and when it was re-adjusted it works perfectly now. Since that fan is extremely old, im going to upgrade to a cooler master V8, they look awesome.

Thanks for the help guys, i appreciate it.

Astaco
10-01-2009, 06:39 AM
It was the temperature getting that high within seconds??
Woa, and I thought my Core i7 was getting hot quickly.

Yeah, good plan to change the cooler and/or fan.
In case you want to test your system, you can use programs like 'Prime95' to generate 100% load. That way you can be sure, that the cooler/fan will be sufficient in every case.

Off-topic:
My stock cooler/fan (form a boxed cpu) wasn't enough, so I had to buy a new one. But this I don't understand... how can you sell a cooler with not sufficient cooling as a boxed (certified) product? :confused:
By the way it was a boxed Core i7 920 with Intel-Fan and factory sealing.

The thing was fully mounted (and with a pad), but because that didn't work, I put heat-conductive on it instead. I couldn't believe it and did the job four times ;)

steveroger
10-01-2009, 06:52 AM
Ok i fixed the problem, the heat sink fan was not properly placed on top of the CPU and when it was re-adjusted it works perfectly now. Since that fan is extremely old, im going to upgrade to a cooler master V8, they look awesome.

Thanks for the help guys, i appreciate it.

I win th booby prize:p

Jimiester
10-01-2009, 06:57 AM
Sure thing, ill give Prime95 a go, thanks for the tip.

The stock fan wasn't enough? well thats strange, maybe Intel need to get their act together haha.

I win th booby prize:p

Yep, you did give the idea that eventually worked, thanks. :)

steveroger
10-01-2009, 07:11 AM
Sure thing, ill give Prime95 a go, thanks for the tip.

The stock fan wasn't enough? well thats strange, maybe Intel need to get their act together haha.

Yep, you did give the idea that eventually worked, thanks. :)

I am glad it worked at least my annoying behavior is balanced by this good deed. Anyhow, it happened to me once. Come to think of it, a bad motherboard happened to me once too.

Bad_Motha
10-01-2009, 10:39 AM
Intel and AMD have been this way for years, giving out a sub-standard stock cooler for their high-end CPUs that maybe all good and well for the budget CPU, but don't cut it for the high end CPUs. I've always hated this about them both and I suggest that most users with higher-end CPUs get a really nice case with ALOT of airflow, use Arctic Silver thermal paste, and ditch the stock CPU cooler for a nicer 3rd party solid-copper or copper w/ tin-coating cooler.