PDA

View Full Version : Low FPS on FutureMark 06

Duralast
09-30-2009, 11:23 AM
Hello all, new to the Forums but like everything so far.

so let me cut right to it
New build PC
AMD Phenom II X4 2.3 Ghz
Ause M4N78 PRO MB
8 gig Corsair Dual Channel PC6400 DDR2 800MHz Memory
XFX GeForce GTX 260 Black Edition Video Card - 896MB DDR3
On board sound
Win Vista 64 bit Prem all SP installed
Also running Win XP 32 bit Sp3
Ok now that that’s out of the way. Under win vista I’m getting very poor FPS in most games if not all and under Future Mark 06 got 9300 as apposed to Win XP 11000 where in win Xp will only see 3.3 Gig of the 8 gig of ram. The real question is should I be looking at my CPU as i can upgrade to say an X2 3.1 Ghz for a $100.00 US. Or is there something going on with the OS itself...oh I have formatted like 3 or for times even ran windows 7 32 bit for about 3 days took it off it was even lower FPS. I want to run windows Vista 64 bit as i know that it is a better OS than win XP 32 bit.. As of right now I’m running windows XP primarily. As I get much better performance. Any help would be awesome.

oh and i'm running a 650W PSU

Pickanewnameplzkthx
09-30-2009, 03:24 PM
Hi Duralast,
What you are seeing is pretty normal. You will see a drop in scores with FM Benches when using Vista. It's becasue Vista has more stuff going on. You can diable alot of it, but for the everyday user it's not really necessary just to get a score. What you really wanna look for is does your score comapre to other like systems with the same drivers and settings.

You will always seen a substantial icrease in score with XP and those benches. They simply run better in XP than Vista. The only exception to that is Vantage which require Vista becasue it usess DX10.

As for the low FPS in games, could youi be speciffic? You may not have an issue. I need to know which games and what kind of FPS. Again, I'll state that Vista has alot of running processes and loads the system more. You can shut alot of these down by running a program called GameBooster from IOBit. It makes it easy to shut them down and go back to normal mode after you are done gaming and I saw an increase in Vista. Not a huge one miond you, but it did increase it a bit. Also, if you run games in DX10 in Vista, they will run lower FPS than they did in XP with DX9. There are differences. You get better graphics quality, but you loose a few FPS. Youi can also tweak games to optimize them for each OS also. With Vista I've noticed I have to do a bit more tweaking to get the best balance of Eye Candy and Performance (FPS). I use alot of tweakguides and advanced tweaking in the game ini files. With DX10 and these new games comes some C_vars that can be a bit more critical and can impact performance dramitically depensding on you system. You have to set them up for the speciffic systema bit more than you used to to get the most out of them.

Hope some of this helps you. Post some games and the FPS you're getting and maybe we can see about what to do with them.

Duralast
09-30-2009, 07:37 PM
thank you so much for the reply!
one game i play a lot of is Lord of the rings Online... i'm getting 4-16 FPS on Vista and XP i get 60-150 FPS...8xAA Very High setting it is a demanding game i know this for sure but it dose not seem to matter if it is on the lowest or the highest setting it seems to preform the same..
as for now i'm going to format the drive and install Vista 64 bit reinstall everything so i can one and for all kill this beast !:) i hope that i have provided good info here you sure did for me.. makes me think there is hope after all for this CPU...

Duralast
09-30-2009, 07:48 PM
thank you so much for the reply!
one game i play a lot of is Lord of the rings Online... i'm getting 4-16 FPS on Vista and XP i get 60-150 FPS...8xAA Very High setting it is a demanding game i know this for sure but it dose not seem to matter if it is on the lowest or the highest setting it seems to preform the same..
as for now i'm going to format the drive and install Vista 64 bit reinstall everything so i can one and for all kill this beast !:) i hope that i have provided good info here you sure did for me.. makes me think there is hope after all for this CPU...
as a side note: if you can suggest any good tool's to test my system so to compair it with like systems that would be great i'm kinda new at this benching thing..:confused:

Pickanewnameplzkthx
09-30-2009, 09:47 PM
On the Vista issue I'd try messing with you settings some. If Lord of the Rings is running in DX 10 on Vista you may need to adjust settings a bit. Also if you are running a high res, coupled with high setting, and DX10 combined it's really gonna put a hit on it. You can tweak the settings a bit, play with the ini some and kinda tinker around until you get the best balance of Quality to Performance.

I have not played that game personally, but it sounds as if it's pretty graphics intensive. Also, you might wanna search around the internet for tweaks guides for it. There may be certain issues with it. Every game has it's little things they do.

I've got more rthan a few games, and every single one of them are a bit different. When I first got Fallout 3 I thought that game was possessed! LOL After a bit of trail and error and driver changes I finally tamed the beat and now it runs great.

Another possibility is if you are running hi res coupled with those high settings in DX10, you may be running out of Grpahics RAM. That can be an issue with hi resolutions.

I'm just kind athrowing ideas out there for you to check on.

Duralast
10-03-2009, 08:02 PM
Just an FYI i changed CPU. changed to a Phenom II X2 550 and it works with no problems. oh i had a Phenom X4 9600 not a Phenom II... big diifrence there...