PDA

View Full Version : Creator of DOTA working with Valve?

Mddisalvo
10-05-2009, 10:52 AM
I saw this and didn't see it posted anywhere. Icefrog, the mapper that created the popular Warcraft 3 map Defense of the Ancients claims to be working with Valve on a new project.

http://www.playdota.com/forums/blogs/icefrog/264/great-news-dota-fans/

This could turn out to be interesting.

linfosoma
10-05-2009, 10:56 AM
Is he working on Episode 3 which is coming on the Source 2 engine?
I know, I know, but I can always dream, that is for free ;)

redbomber09
10-05-2009, 10:56 AM
exactly how is this going to work out because valve usually have rp games not rts. Also, how if there games are based on human beings in future tense not elves, and stuff!

relaxeder
10-05-2009, 10:59 AM
Episode 3 confirmed for RTS

Sirfinkus
10-05-2009, 11:00 AM
Maybe valve is looking to branch out into other genres.

redbomber09
10-05-2009, 11:03 AM
wow episode three as rts should be intresting because how and where are they going to set up the factions for story mode and skirmish?

relaxeder
10-05-2009, 11:22 AM
wow episode three as rts should be intresting because how and where are they going to set up the factions for story mode and skirmish?Did you know gullible's not in the dictionary?

Varsity
10-05-2009, 11:25 AM
Episode 4 was at one point being developed by an external studio, and was a very different game from the HL series to date (unless PC Gamer US made up their quote from Gabe). We also know that the original design for TF2 was an RTS/FPS hybrid like Battlefield 2 or Natural Selection. So perhaps the idea of Valve working on an RTS isn't so outlandish.

I don't expect Ep3 to be the big departure, though.

relaxeder
10-05-2009, 11:29 AM
Gabe's quote about Episode 4 doesn't carry much water, I think he was just dreaming out loud about what they might do if they outsourced it to another studio or even made it at all.

epsylon_Z1
10-05-2009, 11:33 AM
Valve can't make RTS.

mriguy
10-05-2009, 01:42 PM
A Valve RTS game which is treated like TF2 with free content updates and an active modder/mapper community would be awesome. My dream is for Valve to create something like DOTA.

IceFrog's proven long term commitments to his players will really work out well at Valve.

Ginge
10-05-2009, 03:36 PM
A Valve RTS game which is treated like TF2 with free content updates and an active modder/mapper community would be awesome. My dream is for Valve to create something like DOTA.

IceFrog's proven long term commitments to his players will really work out well at Valve.

Valve have shown that TF2 is the last game that gets the free regular update treatment, but we can dream.

ninjaz1337
10-05-2009, 03:58 PM
Valve have shown that TF2 is the last game that gets the free regular update treatment, but we can dream.

yep.....

If Valve makes a RTS oh friggen gawd. I don't wanna play half life as a RTS no thank you. I hope Valve sticks with their FPS, the last thing you wanna see is a TF2 RTS/RPG (to me items and unlocks was a step towards this).

Nekomancer
10-05-2009, 04:16 PM
Just remember the halfassed RTS they made from Halo, which was developed as a RTS in the first place until MS bought Bungie.

Let's see what happens. Just because it's from Valve doesn't means it's based on Half Life, Counterstrike or Team Fortress. It could be something completely new.

dat1337vet
10-05-2009, 04:46 PM
I think a TF2 moba would be pretty sweet

Rhylos
10-05-2009, 04:48 PM
You guys are taking this the wrong way. Icefrog is not making a HL game, probably going to have nothing to do with the source engine at all. Valve is just giving him a team to make an RTS standalone game of DotA. As a long time player of DotA, I welcome this. It means it'll be no longer confined to Warcraft 3 and nor will he have to transfer it to Starcraft 2.

McLachy
10-05-2009, 05:37 PM
It means it'll be no longer confined to Warcraft 3
Dota has already been somewhat remade on a new engine with 'Heroes of Newerth'

picary
10-05-2009, 06:57 PM
This Icefrog will trump Heroes of Newerth big 10,000 feet.

wits
10-05-2009, 07:56 PM
Why if they made an RTS would it have to be in the Half-Life universe? Maybe this is Valve trying to diversify it's games list.

And do you guys really think that if Valve were to release an Half-Life RTS that it would be half-assed?

Rhylos
10-05-2009, 09:29 PM
Dota has already been somewhat remade on a new engine with 'Heroes of Newerth'

HoN and League of Legends are just trying to ride off the success of DotA. Truth is the majority of DotA players will go where Icefrog goes.

CannibalBob
10-05-2009, 10:29 PM
Interesting stuff. I figured if Icefrog wanted to eventually make a stand-alone version of DotA, then he wouldn't allow others to make HoN or LoL. Sure, it's a mod of Warcraft 3 and technically Blizzard "owns" it, but regardless, it's his own idea, hence his own intellectual property and has control over it. Maybe he didn't plan ahead or is welcoming competition (or gets a royalty?).

IcarusNine
10-05-2009, 10:52 PM
You can't own a game type. That's not to say that you couldn't try to pull a fast one on the patent office... Everyone else does.

HoN and League of Legends are just trying to ride off the success of DotA. Truth is the majority of DotA players will go where Icefrog goes.

Don't forget Demigod.

carn1x
10-06-2009, 12:41 AM
You can't own a game type. That's not to say that you couldn't try to pull a fast one on the patent office... Everyone else does.

Don't forget Demigod.

While I'm sure some DOTA-players will surely be as offended as if you just ♥♥♥♥♥ their 2 week old baby son for mentioning Demigod, I personally think Demigod is much more like what Valve would put out than HoN.

HoN is horribly inaccessible, whereas Demigod is very playable and I think much more polished in an original fashion. Sure HoN is very slick too, but it all feels like it's just Warcraft 3 buffed up even in the UI (not so surprising looking at it's target audience).

Demigod's fault are however seemingly a lack of budget or ambition in terms of content. But I see Valve as being a team that are much more capable of pushing the content than the GPG/Stardock combo.

Then again, as this could turn out to be a new genre for Valve, we might end up seeing a half priced title that has all the mechanics and a bit of content to just see how it pans out, and then add more content if it's successful. This is what happened with TF2, and other than L4D they haven't released a full priced release (Yes yes L4D wasn't finished, shutup) for a very long time.

Colour me excited/intrigued :)

EDIT: Just so all those rabid DOTA fans don't jump down my throat, I'm not saying anything about DOTA/HoN's greatness. I'm just commenting on it's focus, and that is definitely not towards the n00b, whereas Valve have certainly shown a reluctance to produce a title that isn't new player centric. Maybe this will be a turning point though?

Cohrek
10-06-2009, 01:05 AM
Wow cool news!

I have already pre-ordred Heroes of Newerth and League of Legends. Both games betas are a blast. I would love to see what Valve could do with the genera.

psihomir2
10-08-2009, 02:40 AM
Interesting stuff. I figured if Icefrog wanted to eventually make a stand-alone version of DotA, then he wouldn't allow others to make HoN or LoL. Sure, it's a mod of Warcraft 3 and technically Blizzard "owns" it, but regardless, it's his own idea, hence his own intellectual property and has control over it. Maybe he didn't plan ahead or is welcoming competition (or gets a royalty?).

I'm not sure he would've been able to do that even if he wanted to. It's an idea, which is not something you can copyright - or at least I haven't heard of a single case of this happening (patents are a different thing, but you can't patent a video game concept).

mriguy
10-08-2009, 02:59 AM
Demigod's fault are however seemingly a lack of budget or ambition in terms of content. But I see Valve as being a team that are much more capable of pushing the content than the

I agree 100%. Demigod is a great game that had a rough start with it's netcode. Although I love Stardock and GPG, the commitment (money?) needed to keep this title alive just was not there. Even if they release new maps and two more Demigods it will probably be too late. In order for Demigod to have taken the crown it really needed to be actively treated like Valve treats TF2. Part of this issue is the separation of publisher and developer. GPG was already starting on Supreme Commander 2 when Demigod came out. Posted in Stardock's own forums, many Demigod users are already looking at moving on to HoN (or LoL). However, I am recently seeing a lot more interest in HoN over LOL.

carn1x
10-08-2009, 02:14 PM
I tried the HoN and LoL betas. I think LoL also has a greater accessibility, like Demigod in a way, whereas HoN definitely seemed to assume I knew all about DotA. Even going on the beta forums, there were way more stickied topics (!) explaining HoN vs DotA rather than simply introducing the player to the game. HoN certainly felt very polished though, but too "hardcore" as some might say, it put me off.

yhar
10-08-2009, 02:23 PM

Referencing L4D? I think you're wrong there. L4D and TF2 and a potential RTS are worlds apart. While yes, TF2 and L4D can be played multiplayer without effort, the focus with l4D is on team work and co-operation, not running around and shooting which is what TF2 is. L4D doesn't have the right backing as a game (if that makes sense) compared to TF2, TF2 will never end, L4D will. They're also limited in what they can provide as extras, too much will change the entire game dynamic.

That probably makes no sense, but TF2 and L4D are not comparable.