PDA

View Full Version : Game controller for pc

HylianTheBlade
10-07-2009, 12:58 PM
i was wondering whats the usual cost of a game controller, i think they are xbox ones? don't know for sure anyone with some info please enlighten me.

StingingVelvet
10-07-2009, 01:03 PM
Don't get any controller other than the Xbox one right now, it is the standard now and all games support it, sometimes only it.

As for cost, brand new I believe it is $50, but you can get an old one for much less. Check your local used shops. I highly suggest a wired controller for your PC, it has less issues and is much cheaper.

CannibalBob
10-07-2009, 01:03 PM
Around $50 though you can get one cheaper on ebay if you're diligent enough.

linfosoma
10-07-2009, 01:04 PM
The xbox 360 gamepad, the most common on PC isaround 30 bucks in amazon.
I have one, it's great (minus the d-pad).

HylianTheBlade
10-07-2009, 01:11 PM
thanks for the info, i looked at a couple pictures of some and does it have to be specifically for PC or can regular xbox controllers work? i thought i saw a usb on the end of a regular one.

edit: thanks for the info just found 1 on amazon used but 19 bucks thanks for the help fellow steam peeps.

StingingVelvet
10-07-2009, 01:19 PM
thanks for the info, i looked at a couple pictures of some and does it have to be specifically for PC or can regular xbox controllers work? i thought i saw a usb on the end of a regular one.

Xbox controllers are all the same, they all work on PC... if you go wireless though, you need a PC-only wireless dongle thing.

MADDOGGE
10-07-2009, 01:20 PM
thanks for the info, i looked at a couple pictures of some and does it have to be specifically for PC or can regular xbox controllers work? i thought i saw a usb on the end of a regular one.The regular Xbox wired and wireless both work fine on the PC. I have used them both. While it's true because of MS that more games use the 360 controller there are PS3 controllers also but I think remapping might be a big hassle depending n the game. I wish I had a usb PS3 controller for Midnight Club 2 on my PC. it's not worth it for one game though. The 360 one is kinda awkward for that game. There are also 3rd party 360 controllers cheaper than MS brand.

linfosoma
10-07-2009, 01:27 PM
I used a PS3 controlller to play Street Fighter 4 with a friend, but the mapping was all wrong, L2 paused the game :eek:

HylianTheBlade
10-07-2009, 01:34 PM
ah k thanks for clearing up the pc biz with me. i haven't owned a console since ps2 so i've been out of the loop :P

Cedge
10-07-2009, 01:44 PM
The 360 controller is definitely best for recent most games, but for 2D games with analogue control, I'd recommend using a PS2 controller (MUCH better d-pad, in a much more comfortable position), and a PS2-to-USB adapter (you can get them on eBay).

Startingline13
10-12-2009, 06:02 PM
Can a wireless 360 remote work with Win7 64? I searched for Vista 64 drivers six months back, and there was no such luck.

MADDOGGE
10-12-2009, 06:26 PM
Can a wireless 360 remote work with Win7 64? I searched for Vista 64 drivers six months back, and there was no such luck.It works fine. Thats what I run Win7 64. You plug it in and it should plug and play mine did. It downloaded the drivers and installed them automatically, no problem.

steveroger
10-12-2009, 06:34 PM
If you want to pay less for a 360 controller consider buying a knock off. Like the gamestop.com brand or madcatz. You can buy them used online or at your local gamestop.com. I actually like the gamestop.com wired 360 controller better than the official microsoft controller. I have one hooked up to my PC right now. You can get a wired gamestop controller for $24.99 or a used one for $19.99 (or less).

The point is that YOU DONT HAVE TO BUY A MICROSOFT VERSION OF THE XBOX 360 CONTROLLER. They are much more expensive.

Scared
10-12-2009, 06:42 PM
Unfortunately a lot of developers are dropping support for pretty much every controller out there except for the 360 controller. So the best 'supported' controller in newer games is the 360 controller....but that doesn't mean it is anywhere near the best controller (only what MS is forcing people to use now).

picary
10-12-2009, 06:55 PM
Does the 360 controller come with a usb head or cable? Or do we need to go and buy a PC adapter?

Startingline13
10-12-2009, 07:06 PM
Thanks for the info regarding the remotes.

Also, is it possible to use the wireless 360 remote with Vista 64? I mean where is the other end of the IR receiver on the PC? Or is there a separate adapter I need to purchase?

Scared
10-12-2009, 07:39 PM
Thanks for the info regarding the remotes.

Also, is it possible to use the wireless 360 remote with Vista 64? I mean where is the other end of the IR receiver on the PC? Or is there a separate adapter I need to purchase?

Xbox controllers are all the same, they all work on PC... if you go wireless though, you need a PC-only wireless dongle thing.

10quotes .

paratech2008
10-12-2009, 07:56 PM
Yeah, the ***WIRED*** 360 uses a USB plug.

Addicted_Gamer
10-12-2009, 08:17 PM
If anyone else is interested here's where to buy a Xbox 360 controller http://microsoft.links.channelintelligence.com/pages/prices.asp?sSKU=C8G-00004
For Vista/Windows 7 users, just use the "windows update" feature to download to download the software to run it.

thePyro_13
10-12-2009, 08:31 PM
Wait, so a standard 360 controller will work on PC? I presume they use an USB interface.

That's pretty cool, I've spent a while looking for a 360 controller for PC but if we can just by the console one and plug it in then that makes thing so much easier.

luminous_flux
10-12-2009, 08:35 PM
I found a logitech USB mock PS2 controller for $15 at gamestop. Works flawlessly with prototype and Street Fighter IV. It's called logitech dual action.

ATimson
10-12-2009, 08:36 PM
That's pretty cool, I've spent a while looking for a 360 controller for PC but if we can just by the console one and plug it in then that makes thing so much easier.
The console *wired* one, yes, that's plug-and-play. You need a special receiver for the wireless ones; it doesn't use something standard like Bluetooth. Microsoft used to sell them separately, but now they only come with a controller.

Scared
10-13-2009, 04:06 AM
I found a logitech USB mock PS2 controller for $15 at gamestop. Works flawlessly with prototype and Street Fighter IV. It's called logitech dual action.

I have a dual action, its pretty good. Too bad its becoming increasingly hard to get it working with games now that developers are dropping DirectInput.

mchufnagel
10-13-2009, 05:45 AM
Unfortunately a lot of developers are dropping support for pretty much every controller out there except for the 360 controller. So the best 'supported' controller in newer games is the 360 controller....but that doesn't mean it is anywhere near the best controller (only what MS is forcing people to use now).

I have a few Logitech controllers. I used to use them with older games and emulators, but I now use the Xbox controller the majority of time. I do feel that the Xbox controller is the best one out there. It's very comfortable with an excellent button layout. The only problem is the d-pad. But the Logitech's d-pad isn't the best either. If you are looking for a controller with a great d-pad, buy one of the "Saturn" style usb controllers. You can find them at various online stores or if you have a PS2 controller, get a usb adaptor for it.

ATimson
10-13-2009, 06:15 AM
I have a dual action, its pretty good. Too bad its becoming increasingly hard to get it working with games now that developers are dropping DirectInput.
They're dropping DirectInput because Microsoft removed big chunks of it (like the configuration UI) in Vista.

netbozo
10-13-2009, 12:39 PM
Can anyone recommend a 360 controller knockoff with the dualshock layout? (both sticks down front and d-pad upper left) Does such a beast exist? I can't stand the 360 controller layout, but with all the PC games going xinput, looks like i'll have to get something.

Thanks....
..netbozo