PDA

View Full Version : The Resolution Issue

Codename
10-14-2009, 04:49 AM
Hey guys, just wandering if I could steal some of your time quickly to help me with the "Resolution is Out of Range" issue.

I've used the search function and found relative threads to L4D and TF2 etc abou how to fix this problem (I had it with L4D but that fixed itself in no time at all) but SoC seems to be giving me a problem. I'm actually at a loss for things to try next and coming to the conclusion that my monitor might simply be "too old" now. Either that or I'm being a prat and hopefully someone will correct me before I get anymore frustraited.

The list of things I've tried so far are as follows;
I've tried changing resolutions using the commands via "Properties > Launch options etc"
I've tried editing my User.ltx
Within the User.ltx I've tried turning on and off 60hz to see if there was any difference
I was unable to get it into windowed mode
Veryfied the Cache
Tried the "-nodistort"

I will admit, with L4D I got a completely black screen with a blue box hovering around chanting "you are out of range" but with SoC I still have my old friend the blue box but I have what looks like the bottom left hand of the menu screen on the top right hand side of the monitor. So I can see something, I just can't click the controls to allow me to change my visuals.

Any information on this would be greatly appreciated! If I take a while to reply then it's because I've gone to work and won't be back till later this evening, but I'll try fill in any details I've forgotten about if it helps.

Thanks!

Highway Chile
10-14-2009, 05:55 AM
What resolution are you trying to run it at ?

What res is it running at ?

You're running this on a TV or monitor ?

Bad_Motha
10-14-2009, 10:25 AM
If you have an issue like this with any of the STALKER games, simply delete your USER.LTX, then loading the game up will give you all the default settings, from which you can then proceed to make your changes. Once you've got the settings where u need/want them, exit the game so it writes a new USER.LTX file, then re-launch the game and play it.

Codename
10-14-2009, 02:47 PM
Sorry for the delayed reply. I'm currently running on a monitor, a "hp pavilion f1703" if you google that. It's pretty old like I said.

My desktop is running at 1280x1024, and the majority of my games are as well. I tried lowering SoC down to 800x600 and that was the only remote picture I seem to be getting, albeit all in the wrong corners.

The deleting user thing seemed to work, everything was i nthe wrong corner again but I could see the menu box to which after much guessing I got the optiosn. Saw a box that said full screen and unticked that. Solved the problem, raised the rez a bit and all seemed fine! So i ticked the full screen box again...big mistake. Black screen now.

Bad_Motha
10-14-2009, 04:08 PM
Ok well just delete the user.ltx again to get back to where you can get in the game once again. Next time leave it at 800x600. Go to Options > Advanced, check 60hz. If it is already checked, uncheck it. Then just click apply and click OK, then exit the game. Go back into the game and then check 60hz. Now exit once again so it saves it. Now go back into the game and then select 1280x1024. At this point it should run 1280x1024 with 60hz and should be ok. The screen may go black for a few secs. but then give you a picture. If the picture doesn't properly match up with the edges of your monitor screen, adjust the monitor through it's on-screen menu, then hit AUTO ADJUST so the monitor properly realigns the picture properly to the screen's edges.

Here is the specs. of you 17" LCD monitor. (http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/bph08419.pdf)
It supports upto 1280x1024 @ 60hz and 75hz, so there should be no reason that Stalker won't display properly under this res. As long as your system and graphics card can handle it.

SquareTriangle
10-27-2009, 08:13 AM
I have the same or similar problem. I bought SoC from steam (3.50!!! couldnt say no) and downloaded it, all good, started it and my screen is black and it says "cannot disply video mode, optimum resolution 1280 by 1024, 60hz" So I tried the things listed above, deleting user.ltx made no difference? what should I do, I am complete noob?

Specs: Win Xp, sp2, AMD Athlon 64 2 Dual Core processor 5000+ 2.60ghz 3.18Gb Ram.

saberiv
10-27-2009, 10:14 AM
My TV says "unsupported video mode". I can display resolutions up to 1900 x 1080 perfectly and this is the *first* game I've not been able to run.

I've tried using steam "set launch options", tried windowed, 600x800, 1024x726, everything! Also I've tried deleting the user.ltx file too.

I can hear the THQ logo sound underneath so it is loading, but the video won't display!

Is it because I'm using Vista 64-bit?

Please help!

SquareTriangle
10-27-2009, 10:49 AM
I also can hear everything happening underneath, just no image, only other time this happened to me was with battlfield 2142 when i stupidly set the resolution higher than my screen can manage (1280 by 1024 is maximum) and had to go into some folder and replace or delete a file which worked. Getting desperate to play cos i keep reading good things on this forum :S

saberiv
10-27-2009, 12:11 PM
If ANYONE finds a fix please, PLEASE post. I'm also anxious to play this game.

Just glad I spent 3.50 and not 13.99 like I was planning to a few weeks ago.

marie pavie
10-27-2009, 12:34 PM
XP? Got the correct .inf files?
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=pv-36744-1&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&os=228&product=324213

SquareTriangle
10-27-2009, 12:36 PM
http://uk.gamespot.com/pc/action/stalker/show_msgs.php?topic_id=m-1-44962824&pid=540331

tried what is said here and that didnt work either. set it to 1280x1024 nothing set it 600x800 nothing still same message when started up. But it might work for u above mate. what is this hz thing and how does it affect the resolution, should i change that somehow?

SquareTriangle
10-27-2009, 12:41 PM
I have a Dell screen, it has no markings and is incredibly bland and undistinguishable from so many other monitors. If it were human it would definatley work in an office and not get up to much at the weekend, it would wear generic T-shirts and say nothing too alarming ever (so i speculate). I dont know if that helps?

Dell 17" TFT Monitor Model E177FPI

saberiv
10-27-2009, 01:37 PM
http://uk.gamespot.com/pc/action/stalker/show_msgs.php?topic_id=m-1-44962824&pid=540331

tried what is said here and that didnt work either. set it to 1280x1024 nothing set it 600x800 nothing still same message when started up. But it might work for u above mate. what is this hz thing and how does it affect the resolution, should i change that somehow?

No. That doesn't work for me either.

It must be something else other than resolution. As I had this problem with Batman : AA, I accidently set the resolution to something stupid, but it was easily fixed with the Steam "Set Launch Options...".

This S.T.A.L.K.E.R issue happens regardless of which launch options I choose.

I'm scared to buy anything from Steam again. XD

Tacroy
10-27-2009, 11:34 PM
I bring aid and succor!

I've been having the same problem, but fortunately my monitor provided me with a clearer error message.

What seems to be happening is that STALKER tries to run its menu at the highest available refresh rating, which is bad if your monitor can't actually refresh that fast. In my case, STALKER was trying to run at 85 MHz, despite the fact that my monitor tops out at 75. This is most likely due to my monitor being relatively old, and not being able to tell Vista what its limits are.

Fortunately, there is a solution! And yes, I can verify that it works on 64bit Vista, too, so it'll probably work on anything else as well.

There's a program floating around called Refresh Force 1.10 (reforce.exe). Its stated purpose is to let you play games at refresh rates higher than 60 or 70 MHz, but fortunately it doesn't mind being used to forcibly lower the refresh rate. Grab that*, run it (as administrator on Vista), and let it auto-populate its list of modes. It'll give you a list of [X] [Y] [Frequency] rows. Once you click Apply, it'll tell Windows that these are the only modes your monitor supports. Go through and set the Frequency entries to your monitor's maximum refresh rate**. Then click apply settings and restart your computer. STALKER should work now.

*: you should not download random files on the Internet just because someone told you to. Make sure you scan it for viruses.

**: If you don't know your monitor's maximum refresh rate, you can mess around with it by going into Display Settings -> Advanced -> Monitor. If you want to be safe, just use whatever it's set to right now (obviously, that works).

SquareTriangle
10-28-2009, 05:57 AM
Thankyou very much for your help tacroy..unfortunatley it hasnt helped me, set it to 60hz even though my windows settings were 75, set windows to 60 and set refresh force to 60 and it didnt work. but thanks very much for your help anyway. :)

saberiv
10-28-2009, 07:52 AM
I've given up now. It'd be nice if I could play STALKER but whatever, I'm still playing through Uncharted 2. :D

Lola
10-28-2009, 09:22 AM
I've got the same problem. I've got an Eizo monitor, which will run a high enough resolution, but it loses the signal when I start Stalker.

SquareTriangle
10-28-2009, 07:56 PM
I may even go as far as to buy a new monitor...it sounds pretty awesome on the forums like a kind of cult classic...hmmm

if that would solve the problem that is...

dacherx
10-28-2009, 08:45 PM
Hey folks, I just got it on the $5 deal.

And to my dismay, first time running I get a blank screen, "Signal Out Of Range" I did a steam cache check, no problem. I've never seen this before on my high end 24" lcd.

I'm running Vista with NVidia Geforce 8600, 1900x1200, 59 hz (I had flickering problems when it was 60 hz).

Anyway, I looked around the game STALKER config files and fixed it pretty fast, hope it helps some folks here. I found the config files from the old stickied troubleshoot thread http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=711792.

Here's what I did to easily fix the problem:

1) open C:\Users\Public\Documents\stalker-shoc\user.ltx in text editor notepad
(According to support page, for XP users I think user.ltx is in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\STALKER-SHOC folder)

2) go to bottom of the file. Change the last line from "vid_mode 1024x768" to "vid_mode 1440x900"

3) start STALKER normally.

Viola, works now. Whew! I hope it helps some people having a similar problem. Game looks really interesting in the 30 minutes I played so far. Good luck!

Valsimot
10-28-2009, 09:54 PM
Try This:

Go to start menu.
Click run.
run dxdiag.
Click on the More Help tab.
Click overide.
Then set to 60 or less. 60 worked for me. then in the game so you don't have the overide on constantly if it bothers you and take off fullscreen in stalker or better yet change the refresh rate in the options of Stalker. then go back into dxdiag and click default on the overide. If it still messes up then redo and take off full screen in the options of Stalker.

SquareTriangle
10-29-2009, 08:48 AM
ok well I got mine working!!!!!!! YES! But i went back and used the refresh force differently, since there were six different default monitors i only set one of them last time, so i set all of them to 800x600 60hz and went into user.ltx and set that at 600x800 just to be on the safer side of sure and it worked! gonna change settings in stalker now and try and set it up higher.

THANKS SO MUCH for all the help guys, and I hope everyone else gets it working too!

Lola
10-29-2009, 09:35 AM
Try This:

Go to start menu.
Click run.
run dxdiag.
Click on the More Help tab.
Click overide.
Then set to 60 or less. 60 worked for me. then in the game so you don't have the overide on constantly if it bothers you and take off fullscreen in stalker or better yet change the refresh rate in the options of Stalker. then go back into dxdiag and click default on the overide. If it still messes up then redo and take off full screen in the options of Stalker.

Thanks for that. I tried it, and it worked, so I exited, changed it back to the Default setting, but it didn't work afterwards.

Still, at least I can play it, even if it means a bit of mucking about.

DaNGaC
10-29-2009, 07:24 PM
guys we are all having the same problem here. sine this whole resolution deal has occurred only when i buy from steam, STALKER will probably be the last purchase steam gets from me. ($5.00 is too good of a deal, had to do it.) anyway i hear sounds from the menu, but no video what so ever. i have to turn off my computer to get out of the program. Ctrl+Alt+Del wont work....JEEZ

Lola
10-31-2009, 07:37 AM
guys we are all having the same problem here. sine this whole resolution deal has occurred only when i buy from steam, STALKER will probably be the last purchase steam gets from me. ($5.00 is too good of a deal, had to do it.) anyway i hear sounds from the menu, but no video what so ever. i have to turn off my computer to get out of the program. Ctrl+Alt+Del wont work....JEEZ

You can't alt-tab out of it?

Malk
11-01-2009, 01:46 PM
Have the same problem on windows 7 64 bit, and none of the "fixes" posted here works.
Ive tried lowering the desktop resolution and refreshrate, i tried lowering the resolution in game and locked the refreshrate to 60 Hz (which is my screens refreshrate) but that didnt work either :(

I am also VERY glad i only spent 5 Euro on this crap.
I really dont get it, i played this game before with zero problems, and Clear sky also runs fine.

r4en4rok
11-01-2009, 03:38 PM
I actually got this idea from another post, I'm suprised no one has mentioned it here yet. Like my reply title says, it worked for me when all of the before-mentioned ideas failed to deliver.

If you have access to a spare CRT monitor,...

1) Set your resolution to something basic like 800 x 600.
2) unplug your HD.
3) plug in your CRT.
4) run stalker.
5) goto the options and under the advanced video tab insure your select the 60 hz option, click use and exit to desktop.
6) unplug crt.
7) plug in HD.
8) run stalker.
9) set video options to what you want, but leave the 60 hz option checked.

I truly hope this works for some of you.

SquareTriangle
10-30-2010, 01:38 PM
Ok, Its me again.....I decided tor reinstall and I now have the same problem except Im running on win 7 and cant get refreshforce to work. Does anybody have any ideas on what I could do?