PDA

View Full Version : Why does EA always stop supporting their games?

vorT1
10-17-2009, 02:15 PM
They always release a game and then stop updating it less than 6 months later. They dont fix game-breaking bugs and huge imbalances. This has happened with all the Battlefield games, Command and Conquer games, and more.

not to mention they buy-out game companies and then ruin all their games. They bought out Westwood and then discontinued all support for westwood games, they even TOOK DOWN the online servers which still had a lot of players, which killed the communities of all those games.

EA is the devil.

DeathRay2K
10-17-2009, 02:50 PM
It's because they've discovered that they can make the same games every year and people will buy them every year, for full price!

tonka
10-17-2009, 02:55 PM
Because EA likes the money only.

Domo
10-17-2009, 03:25 PM
yeah, i remember when BF2142 came out. It was just a bad BF2 mod. Ive seen player make better Mods (OperationPeaceKeeper for example).

warmaster670
10-18-2009, 06:18 AM
They always release a game and then stop updating it less than 6 months later. They dont fix game-breaking bugs and huge imbalances. This has happened with all the Battlefield games, Command and Conquer games, and more.

not to mention they buy-out game companies and then ruin all their games. They bought out Westwood and then discontinued all support for westwood games, they even TOOK DOWN the online servers which still had a lot of players, which killed the communities of all those games.

EA is the devil.
lol, they just released an update for battlefield 2 not long ago.

its also funny you act like its only EA that does this, newsflash, its not, why not go to teh saints row 2 boards and see how many patches whatever dev company that did the pc port made.

most companies stop patching games withing a year, get over yourself.

vorT1
10-18-2009, 09:02 AM
lol, they just released an update for battlefield 2 not long ago.

its also funny you act like its only EA that does this, newsflash, its not, why not go to teh saints row 2 boards and see how many patches whatever dev company that did the pc port made.

most companies stop patching games withing a year, get over yourself.

you clearly dont know ♥♥♥♥.

companies like EA are ruining the game industry.

MADDOGGE
10-18-2009, 03:39 PM
you clearly dont know ♥♥♥♥.

companies like EA are ruining the game industry.I agree but as long as people that know better keep buying their games in droves they have no reason to change and won't. I'm still messing in the registry on MW so I can have Underground on the same machine. How hard would it be to make a quick patch to give those 2 games separate exe file names instead of the same one. Ten minutes work? Never been done never will be.:mad: you have to suck it up if you want to play; that or give up gaming on the PC at least.

SkyHiRider
10-19-2009, 02:55 AM
Make game, sell game, get $$$, stop making updates, make a new game with the same game principles but new shiny graphics, sell game, $$$, repeat until humans are stupid. It's just more cost effective to stop supporting a game if it had poor sales or has a low player base and just make a new one, you get most money of sales when the game is new due to overhype with a good marketing campaign that anything else, loyal customers just don't pay the bills as much. Same system as Bethesda has, but at least they give players the options to fix bugs via their toolset, if it wasn't for the toolset all Elder scrolls games would be dead in a year or so.

Domo
10-19-2009, 05:23 AM
Oh well, ive learned at laest from the past.
Its not worth to send those companys feedbacks. Best think you can do by companys like EA, is to not buying ther games/expansion anymore. Or wait till the game is finished.

LTCHIPS
11-14-2009, 04:30 PM
I bet the CEO of EA said this one day relizing the sales of one of their crappy games,

"Wow look at all this money! I don't think we need to launch any patches, because we're the richest game company in the WORLD!"

What I would do for now on, is before buying a game by EA, wait for 1 to 2 months and look out for updates. if they stop supporting the game before the 2nd month, then don't buy it. In fact I'd recommend waiting longer than that.

JackNiko
01-18-2010, 02:14 PM
the problem with EA is they have adopted from the begining a captitlist aproach of making money with no care for maintaining a look to the future aproach

the only games they bring out are yearly remakes of sports games, any other game franchise that they make seriousmoney from is one,they aquired from buying other gaming companys

BF2 does get patched, but the space between patchs is very long

EA has essentially bought up part of or fulldistribution, or all rights to many highly sought gaming franchises, this is why you wont see about 3 dozen games on steam anytime soon

personally i would like to see

Alpha Centauri
Alien Crossfire
Alice
Battlefield 2142
Blade Runner
Undying
Command & Conquer the first decade
Dune
Dune 2
Dune 2000
Dune Emperor
Dungeon Keeper
hellgates london
Lord of the Rings Battle for middle earth
Sim City
Sim City Societies
Theme Hospital
Syndicate
Syndicate Wars

but 14 of these games where not created BY EA, and EA bought them over and development team an coding notes etc and rights are caught in a cluster **** of paperwork

it is common practise when EA finishs its games the team that created the game either gets completely disbanded and high perfomance cheap members of the team, are kept and resused in other priority projects while the rest are fired in most cases, so if you had one team give you a very good first game the sequal may suddenly be taken in a new direction, or due to there desired input, and the persons they put in charge do inproper research on the franchise may suddenly take it a diffrent direction

EA owns the rights to TWO MMO's that where in mid development, including the DUNE MMO, that westwood where working on, and all the rights to what has been said numerous times the best strategy games ever made

SunriseDriver
01-18-2010, 08:46 PM
Maybe they're supporting but surely Steam versions aren't in their support list.

Kahrandras
01-18-2010, 10:59 PM
Blade Runner

There is a Blade Runner game?????!?!?!?!!?!? Holy ♥♥♥♥, I must have it!

OP, go play Blizzard games if you want consistent updates over a long period of time. They're still writing updates for Starcraft. I think they discontinued updates for Warcraft II: BNE several years ago, but I could be wrong. That game is collecting dust at the back of my closet.

medieval76
03-31-2010, 03:01 PM
its called making money =D

DarkevilPT
04-02-2010, 06:33 PM
Why is vorT1 Banned?

medieval76
04-04-2010, 01:15 AM
cause he speaks his mind :D thats why he is banned its sad now days what u can and cannot say on a virutal website

DarkevilPT
04-04-2010, 08:27 AM
cause he speaks his mind :D thats why he is banned its sad now days what u can and cannot say on a virutal website

heheh

LTCHIPS
04-18-2010, 07:10 PM

EA is the devil.

That is a true statement. EA is the Microsoft of Video Games in general, even for console games.

92Hotel
04-20-2010, 03:12 PM
personally i would like to see

Alpha Centauri
Alien Crossfire
Alice
Battlefield 2142
Blade Runner
Undying
Command & Conquer the first decade
Dune
Dune 2
Dune 2000
Dune Emperor
Dungeon Keeper
hellgates london
Lord of the Rings Battle for middle earth
Sim City
Sim City Societies
Theme Hospital
Syndicate
Syndicate Wars

but 14 of these games where not created BY EA, and EA bought them over and development team an coding notes etc and rights are caught in a cluster **** of paperwork

it is common practise when EA finishs its games the team that created the game either gets completely disbanded and high perfomance cheap members of the team, are kept and resused in other priority projects while the rest are fired in most cases, so if you had one team give you a very good first game the sequal may suddenly be taken in a new direction, or due to there desired input, and the persons they put in charge do inproper research on the franchise may suddenly take it a diffrent direction

EA owns the rights to TWO MMO's that where in mid development, including the DUNE MMO, that westwood where working on, and all the rights to what has been said numerous times the best strategy games ever made

I would particularly like to see Blade Runner released on Steam as a classic/budget title. At a few bucks a pop this would probably generate more revenue than it ever did for the original Westwood release some 13 years ago.

I haven't owned it recently, but it did work on fairly recent operating systems. I wonder how much revision it would require. I'm thinking not much.

MithranArkanere
04-21-2010, 11:52 AM
Because they want everyone playing only sports games.
They can make minimal changes with those and release them almost every year.
So they seek and destroy any game they can that makes players use their imagination.
They do it with such a subterfuge, that many people doesn't notice.
Look at what Spore could have been... and what it ended being.
Even after they made a 'partnership' with PlayFish (a flash game company well known for their games on FaceBook), their games are going downfall.

Remember Idiocracy? EA wants you to be like the people on that movie, and play only sports games.

sinisterene
06-18-2010, 04:28 PM
I agree but as long as people that know better keep buying their games in droves they have no reason to change and won't. I'm still messing in the registry on MW so I can have Underground on the same machine. How hard would it be to make a quick patch to give those 2 games separate exe file names instead of the same one. Ten minutes work? Never been done never will be.:mad: you have to suck it up if you want to play; that or give up gaming on the PC at least.

Make game, sell game, get $$$, stop making updates, make a new game with the same game principles but new shiny graphics, sell game, $$$, repeat until humans are stupid. It's just more cost effective to stop supporting a game if it had poor sales or has a low player base and just make a new one, you get most money of sales when the game is new due to overhype with a good marketing campaign that anything else, loyal customers just don't pay the bills as much. Same system as Bethesda has, but at least they give players the options to fix bugs via their toolset, if it wasn't for the toolset all Elder scrolls games would be dead in a year or so.

These two guys have it pretty dead-on.

It's not like EA's customer base demands quality, so why should they bother offering it?

Sonicfan574
06-19-2010, 09:09 PM
It's called lying

They make a crappy game and post so many good things about it and don't even support it because they know there will always be people buying the crappy game at full price. A lot of companies do this. You could probably resale the original Zork for $50 and people would still buy it.

Von Hammler Koq
06-20-2010, 03:58 PM
Because piracy on the PC format is basically imposable to stop. But with consoles, its much easier to control (as all consoles are the same, and they lock the actual machine right up, so its hard to "hack" anything).

PS3 stopped piracy rather well, 360 did with constant firmware updates, not sure about the Wii as I dont have one, but from what I know it has a difficult time staying cracked before some new games need a new firmware that isnt cracked.

I only have a PS3 console now, use it for movie and tv show watching, own a few games. But I am all about the PC, and whilst the often hated or loved WoW keep going and making filthy amounts of money, pc gaming will live on. With EA making rubbish, and Activision coming in second with garbage and Ubisoft making a late entry into the "lets ♥♥♥♥ it all up" with there odd DRM (which was not only cracked BEFORE the game hit main sale here in the UK, but you could actually play legit online with a pirated copy...so the old system atleast stopped that..)

Skipernicus
06-28-2010, 07:49 PM
PS3 stopped piracy rather well, 360 did with constant firmware updates, not sure about the Wii as I dont have one, but from what I know it has a difficult time staying cracked before some new games need a new firmware that isnt cracked.

This is one of the things I love about console gaming - you never have to worry about your game being disabled due to a copy protection scheme gone wrong, or too many installs... Once you buy the game, you own the game and (if you pirated the game, you *will* get busted). Which is awesome in that it does not punish the legitimate users.

The other thing is that I know my software will *always* be compatible with my hardware.

Regarding PC gaming, I think it's great, but it's plagued by pirates. Like this guy:

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/03/30/breach-thief-jumps-bail-currently-playing-modern-warfare-2/

I wonder how that's gonna play out in court...

It makes it hard on the developers to protect their works and it makes it hard on the legitimate users who have to jump through the various hoops of copy protection. It's a tough problem to solve...

Scefyx
06-30-2010, 05:13 AM
Command and Conquer deserved an truly epic ending... Instead, we get THIS...

WHY DID YOU DESTROY WESTWOOD EA, OH WHY, OH WHYYYYY!

nosmiles
07-30-2010, 02:51 AM
Lol Stupid question , the answer? because Ea sux , ea rox in ps3

Wolvie007
08-10-2010, 04:06 AM
Maybe they're supporting but surely Steam versions aren't in their support list.

Battlefield 2 1.5< patch released 4 years after? Steam version automaticly has that patch.

Wolvie007
08-10-2010, 04:08 AM
This is one of the things I love about console gaming - you never have to worry about your game being disabled due to a copy protection scheme gone wrong, or too many installs... Once you buy the game, you own the game and (if you pirated the game, you *will* get busted). Which is awesome in that it does not punish the legitimate users.

The other thing is that I know my software will *always* be compatible with my hardware.

Regarding PC gaming, I think it's great, but it's plagued by pirates. Like this guy:

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/03/30/breach-thief-jumps-bail-currently-playing-modern-warfare-2/

I wonder how that's gonna play out in court...

It makes it hard on the developers to protect their works and it makes it hard on the legitimate users who have to jump through the various hoops of copy protection. It's a tough problem to solve...

For every firmware upgrade, it will be cracked very soon.. XD

Ganger
08-13-2010, 12:00 PM
I never forgiven EA for not removing that silly radio chatter in BF2. 'Enemy boat spotted' anyone ?