PDA

View Full Version : Missing Music image download

BloodShed
10-24-2009, 12:47 PM
Since I own an original copy of JK: DF2 I felt sorry for those who can't hear the music because steam has no form of Red Book emulator.

So what I did was make a image of my CD and strip the data track of it's contents (and replaced with a ReadMe.txt with notes and usage of the image).

Download

Dark Forces II
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/52620862/Steam%20Missing%20Music/Star%20Wars%20Jedi%20Knight%20Dark%20Forces%20II.r ar
Mirror (https://docs.google.com/uc?id=0Bwlfw__24XKPSjRFeFRIOHhxV2s&export=download)

Mysteries of the Sith
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/52620862/Steam%20Missing%20Music/Star%20Wars%20Jedi%20Knight%20Mysteries%20of%20the %20Sith.rar
Mirror (https://docs.google.com/uc?id=0Bwlfw__24XKPTUg4dEFwcEtPOTQ&export=download)

For those who don't have a CD emulator.
DAEMON Tools Lite (http://www.daemon-tools.cc/eng/products/dtLite)

Images for other games can be found here.
Hexen II (http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1402902)
Kingpin (http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=996109)
Quake, Quake II and addons (http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=996272)

Chewy1015
10-30-2009, 11:54 PM
Is there any other zip software I can use other than WinZip? The evaluation version of my WinZip has expired, and I don't feel like buying it.

Chewy1015
10-31-2009, 12:54 AM
Forget that last message. What I need to know is how to get it working. I got the image, I got the Daemon Tools, I mounted the image to a virtual drive, not how do I get the music to play in the game? I even went to regedit and edited the CD path for JK and it still didn't work.

BloodShed
10-31-2009, 03:01 AM
Forget that last message. What I need to know is how to get it working. I got the image, I got the Daemon Tools, I mounted the image to a virtual drive, not how do I get the music to play in the game? I even went to regedit and edited the CD path for JK and it still didn't work.

Are you playing from a save game?
When I tested the image it would not work from a save game (don't know why).
Try starting a new game.

Chewy1015
10-31-2009, 01:13 PM
I actually did try starting a new game, but I did with my current user name. Should I make a whole new user name then start?

Actually, one problem that I noticed having was that before starting the game, I went to regedit to change the CD path, then I went to start the game, and when I went back to regedit, the CD path was on its original location. Is there a way to change it permanately?

BloodShed
10-31-2009, 02:06 PM
I actually did try starting a new game, but I did with my current user name. Should I make a whole new user name then start?

Doesn't hurt to try.

Also try using the reg script on the image (read the readme.txt for more details).

Actually, one problem that I noticed having was that before starting the game, I went to regedit to change the CD path, then I went to start the game, and when I went back to regedit, the CD path was on its original location. Is there a way to change it permanately?

Sadly no

Chewy1015
11-01-2009, 07:19 PM
Well I tried looking for the readme.txt file for Jedi Knight, and I couldn't find one, and I never remember deleting one.

Chewy1015
11-01-2009, 07:30 PM
Nevermind that. You meant the readme.txt file on the image, not the game. Well I went to that I followed all the directions, and still didn't work. Let me try deleting and reinstalling the game and see if that works.

Chewy1015
11-01-2009, 07:59 PM
Okay, so that didn't work. I'm wondering what else I could be doing wrong.

BloodShed
11-02-2009, 01:17 AM
Okay, so that didn't work. I'm wondering what else I could be doing wrong.

See if you can play the music in windows media player just to rule out any problems with the image.

zsitvaij
11-02-2009, 02:53 AM
This was mentioned in another thread, but you need to actually burn an audio CD. The music won't play through drive emulation because the game uses the optical drive's hardware function to play it, the one that requires a cable connecting the drive to the sound card (or on-board sound, nowadays). Since you can't actually wire up daemon tools, that's not going to work.

BloodShed
11-02-2009, 06:31 AM
This was mentioned in another thread, but you need to actually burn an audio CD. The music won't play through drive emulation because the game uses the optical drive's hardware function to play it, the one that requires a cable connecting the drive to the sound card (or on-board sound, nowadays). Since you can't actually wire up daemon tools, that's not going to work.

Then explain to me why it works when I test the images.

zsitvaij
11-02-2009, 07:18 AM
Perhaps you still have the disc in your drive?

I was going on info from this thread: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=973328

And my limited testing (ripping my discs and installing from those) confirmed no audio. There could be an option I missed.

EDIT: I see now that you mention an older daemon tools release. Did they remove this feature at some point?

BloodShed
11-02-2009, 09:49 AM
Perhaps you still have the disc in your drive?

Nope, I make sure there are no disc in the drive (even going as far as turning it off).

EDIT: I see now that you mention an older daemon tools release. Did they remove this feature at some point?

I don't know.

But I do know they started to include ads and other BS in newer versions.

Browncoat1984
11-04-2009, 08:05 PM
This is a great idea, could you possibly do something like this for Mysteries of the Sith as well?

BloodShed
11-05-2009, 02:50 AM
This is a great idea, could you possibly do something like this for Mysteries of the Sith as well?

Sadly the version of Mysteries of the Sith I have has no redbook audio on the disc -_-

Emon
11-18-2009, 11:31 AM
The music won't play through drive emulation because the game uses the optical drive's hardware function to play it, the one that requires a cable connecting the drive to the sound card (or on-board sound, nowadays).
No, that's not true. The game just uses a standard API to play music from the disc -- it doesn't matter if you have a cable connecting the CD drive to your soundcard. Such cables were necessary years ago, but now it's handled in software. It makes no difference to JK how this happens. It can be a cable, in software, or though emulation, as mentioned here.

I use an MDS image rip of my original JK disc, which has the audio working just fine when mounted in a virtual drive.

Cedge
11-25-2009, 04:26 AM
An audio disc image for MotS is available in this thread on LucasForums:
http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=200732

mogar18
12-03-2009, 04:35 AM
This should be sticky.

KayossZero
12-22-2009, 08:53 PM
Since I own an original copy of JK: DF2 I felt sorry for those who can't hear the music because steam has no form of Red Book emulator.

So what I did was make a image of my CD and strip the data track of it's contents (and replaced with a ReadMe.txt with notes and usage of the image).

Download
http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/2663913/Steam%20Missing%20Music/Star_Wars_Jedi_Knight_Dark_Forces_II_missing_music .rar

For those who don't have a CD emulator.

Daemon tools 3.47 (older version, before they added all that mal and adware)
http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/2663913/Steam%20Missing%20Music/daemon347.exe

Images for other games can be found here.
Hexen II (http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1007886)
Kingpin (http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=996109)
Quake, Quake II and addons (http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=996272)

No offense, but there's 0 malware forced upon you inside Daemon Tools 4.35.5 and never has been (you select what you want or do not want installed) might want to clear that up as DT 3.47 is an ancient build.

BloodShed
12-23-2009, 04:13 AM
No offense, but there's 0 malware forced upon you inside Daemon Tools 4.35.5 and never has been (you select what you want or do not want installed) might want to clear that up as DT 3.47 is an ancient build.

It may be ancient but It works.

Alpaca!
12-26-2009, 06:43 PM
Agreed, Daemon tools is EASILY the best program out there for mounting tools. No nagging, nothing. Only issue I have is having to reset my computer, I hate that.

Thanks though, if you can figure out something for MOTS, that would be great. I have the original DFII discs, but recently bought MOTS. Worked on the first try, was so happy.

Shilor
12-28-2009, 06:21 PM
I use an MDS image rip of my original JK disc, which has the audio working just fine when mounted in a virtual drive.

Hey do your tracks only play once per level or do they loop momentarily? Mine only play once but I believe I remember them looping periodically back in the day.

Oh and I'm using an actual CD by the way. The virtual mounting didn't work for me

bbch
01-03-2010, 06:42 PM
Downloaded the image, mounted it, did the drive letter switch,started a new game, no music. Gonna try the burning of an audio cd tomorrow.

BloodShed
01-04-2010, 11:50 AM
Downloaded the image, mounted it, did the drive letter switch,started a new game, no music. Gonna try the burning of an audio cd tomorrow.

Shot in the dark.

Is your CD-audio volume turned op?

bbch
01-04-2010, 01:41 PM
The tracks play in winamp from the mounted image. It might be a registry issue. I'm not sure the regedit sticks - I get the feeling it changes the cd path back to the steam folder as soon as the game starts.

Shilor
01-04-2010, 01:42 PM
I'm not sure the regedit sticks - I get the feeling it changes the cd path back to the steam folder as soon as the game starts.

Yeah mine was changing back also :confused:

bbch
01-07-2010, 07:11 AM
To those who've managed to enable the music via image file - how exactly did you tweak the registry for the cd path change to stick?

Btw, I keep forgetting to buy an empty cd, I'll update if I got it to work when I try it.

wulf 21
04-28-2010, 07:45 AM
It works for me, but not with registering the other drive letter. It seems always to play from the drive with the lowest letter, so I needed to burn the image and do it in the first drive or swap the letters of my deamontool drive and the first CD drive...

But my problem is that a track plays only once, when it should repeat. This seems to happen in every game that uses CD music. The only way to keep it playing is to save, abort game and load my saved game again. Any idea why? Maybe because I have Vista?

Shilor
04-28-2010, 07:57 AM
It works for me, but not with registering the other drive letter. It seems always to play from the drive with the lowest letter, so I needed to burn the image and do it in the first drive or swap the letters of my deamontool drive and the first CD drive...

But my problem is that a track plays only once, when it should repeat. This seems to happen in every game that uses CD music. The only way to keep it playing is to save, abort game and load my saved game again. Any idea why? Maybe because I have Vista?

hmm turns out mine actually did work after all... I just assumed it needed that audio cable from the CD drive and yes I now have your problem. I also believe the track is only playing once. I do remember that the repeat was not instant back in the day.. I'm pretty sure there was a fair gap of no music before it would repeat. Only now it just doesn't repeat even after waiting for so long. Or am I not waiting long enough?

Chewy1015
05-25-2010, 10:05 PM
Finally got it to work! I just had to make the mounted drive the lowest possible letter!

Shilor
05-25-2010, 10:10 PM
Finally got it to work! I just had to make the mounted drive the lowest possible letter!

Chewy, does your music only play once or does it loop momentarily?

Chewy1015
05-25-2010, 11:41 PM
As a matter of fact, it loops momentarily. I believe two tracks will play, then they'll be a good few moments of silence, and after a while, the songs will start again.

Shilor
05-26-2010, 12:03 AM
As a matter of fact, it loops momentarily. I believe two tracks will play, then they'll be a good few moments of silence, and after a while, the songs will start again.

Ah maybe I am simply just not waiting long enough. When you say you mount your drive as the lowest possible letter do you mean it comes before the actual CD drive?

Chewy1015
05-26-2010, 12:40 AM
The lowest possible CD drive letter that is, which in most cases would be D:.

Chewy1015
05-27-2010, 09:12 PM
I have a question for Bloodshed. I may have forgotton this from back in the day, but is the music on the original game's disc 2 the same as disc 1? And by that I mean track-for-track.

Shilor
05-27-2010, 09:43 PM
I have a question for Bloodshed. I may have forgotton this from back in the day, but is the music on the original game's disc 2 the same as disc 1? And by that I mean track-for-track.

CD 2 is meant to be entirely different.

On another note it is possible the tracks for disc 1 might be out of order if this disc image was assembled with track 1 as track 1. The game treats track 2 as the first musical track because originally track 1 was the data files of the game disc. This was the issue with the Mysteries of the Sith soundtack image found off of a link in this thread. I haven't tested this image with Jedi Knight myself but it may have the same issue of being out of the original intended order.

EDIT: Well, I just tested it and is in fact in the right order as there is already some data on the image being treated as "track 1", So your solution would be to find an image of disc 2 that has been assembled in the same manner to ensure the original track order.

Shilor
05-28-2010, 12:19 AM
So it seems the soundtrack loops momentarily (as it should be) when I play Jedi Knight through windows XP. But when I play from within Windows 7 the soundtrack only plays once and that's it. Silence for the rest of the level except for the sound effects.

Obviously one solution is to just play it in XP but I'd rather stay in the one operating system than having to boot up XP for just 1 game.

Any ideas as to what could be done to solve this in Windows 7?

NeroConiglio
07-01-2010, 08:11 AM
I don't understand why LucasArts hasn't released the soundtrack for JK and MotS herself. They surely have access to the soundtrack and it shouldn't be too hard to make the cd images and include them with the Steam installations.

Shilor
07-01-2010, 07:37 PM
I don't understand why LucasArts hasn't released the soundtrack for JK and MotS herself. They surely have access to the soundtrack and it shouldn't be too hard to make the cd images and include them with the Steam installations.

I agree. It shouldn't be too hard at all. The company Rebellion proved that it can be done in their release of "Aliens Vs Predator Classic 2000" on Steam. The original game many years ago required CD tracks for music just like Jedi Knight did.

Kyle07
07-10-2010, 08:18 AM
This Trick doesn't run.:(

And I can't set my CD-Drive to D: because I have already a Partition with D:

So which letter I should choose, to run the music in the game?

Shilor
07-10-2010, 09:27 AM
This Trick doesn't run.:(

And I can't set my CD-Drive to D: because I have already a Partition with D:

So which letter I should choose, to run the music in the game?

It needs to be your lowest CD drive or virtual drive, I have many partitions so I can't use D: drive. For me my lowest CD drive is Drive H: and it works but if I use it in a higher letter it wont work in that drive anymore. Give that a try.

Kyle07
07-11-2010, 08:48 AM
It needs to be your lowest CD drive or virtual drive, I have many partitions so I can't use D: drive. For me my lowest CD drive is Drive H: and it works but if I use it in a higher letter it wont work in that drive anymore. Give that a try.

As Partitions I have:

C: D: and E:

As DVD-Drive I have:
F:

As virtual DVD-Drive I have:
K: (and it doens't work)

And at least I have:
G: H: I: and J: (these all are USB- or SD-Card-Slots)

Is K: the correct letter for the virtual DVD-Drive?

EDIT:
BTW: I have Windows Vista 64-Bit

Shilor
07-11-2010, 09:45 AM
Is K: the correct letter for the virtual DVD-Drive?

EDIT:
BTW: I have Windows Vista 64-Bit

I believe you will need to swap K with F if you are planning to use the virtual drive to play the music otherwise burn that image to a CD and it should play in Drive F without changing any settings. Hope this helps

BloodShed
08-17-2010, 08:04 AM
keeping this old boy alive

BloodShed
09-18-2010, 12:51 PM
Avoiding the purge

NOFpuXnk
09-18-2010, 03:42 PM
come play with us guys..
irc.gamesurge.net #jediknight

BloodShed
10-16-2010, 10:12 AM
Avoiding the purge

BloodShed
11-29-2010, 06:01 AM
void'n the purge

BloodShed
12-21-2010, 12:39 AM
Bumping for holiday sale.

HowIChrgeLazer
12-31-2010, 11:32 AM
Link is dead for the moment. Chances of a mirror?

zebber
12-31-2010, 02:11 PM
So, just to clarify, does this mean the Steam version as delivered doesn't have its music? Or, is this some extra soundtrack CD the game came with back in the day? I don't remember it having such a thing, but that was a few years ago now...

HowIChrgeLazer
12-31-2010, 07:42 PM
This image contains the actual music scores for the levels. When you played the game, it read the music off the game disk like an audio CD. The steam version cannot do this (as there is no CD) so the OP kindly provided the audio tracks to mount as an image so the game can play the scores during SP.

BloodShed
01-01-2011, 02:27 AM
Link is dead for the moment. Chances of a mirror?

If you know of some good mirrors where I can have all the images hosted on, then please tell me so we can have some to download from.

I_Ramiz
01-01-2011, 02:28 AM
Well, may be there are another link for this music-disk... Cause current link are dead now.

P.S. And is there a disc for MotS needed / existed?

zebber
01-01-2011, 05:39 AM
When you played the game, it read the music off the game disk like an audio CD.

Ok, I'm going to take that as a "Yes, the game will not have any music as delivered."

As for mirrors, how large is this file you're trying to share? Might you be able to use something like 7zip to split it into smaller pieces, and perhaps even distribute those pieces across different hosts? And as for the actual hosts, is there a reason you're avoiding the "obvious" ones, like Megaupload or Mediafire?

BloodShed
01-01-2011, 07:20 AM
Ok, I'm going to take that as a "Yes, the game will not have any music as delivered."

As for mirrors, how large is this file you're trying to share? Might you be able to use something like 7zip to split it into smaller pieces, and perhaps even distribute those pieces across different hosts? And as for the actual hosts, is there a reason you're avoiding the "obvious" ones, like Megaupload or Mediafire?

For Dark Forces 2 the image is about 200MB and 2.60GB for all the images (Kingpin, Quake etc..).

I don't use services like megaupload since they delete files after a period of inactivity and therefore require me to upload the files all over again.

tendo
01-01-2011, 03:08 PM
Can you upload it to megaupload at least for now? With the Steam sale that link got hammered and closed.

Enemy crab
01-01-2011, 03:24 PM
Mediafire does not delete I think.

BloodShed
01-02-2011, 01:19 AM
Can you upload it to megaupload at least for now? With the Steam sale that link got hammered and closed.

I'll upload to megaupload and add the link to the first post when it's ready.

Mediafire does not delete I think.

They do, read their FAQ

BloodShed
01-02-2011, 04:18 AM
Mirror now available

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=H7F02YJX
MD5: 6C368728BF1811943141D5AB5FF50609

HowIChrgeLazer
01-02-2011, 07:39 AM
Much appreciated. Thank you BloodShed.

Enemy crab
01-02-2011, 07:49 AM
Thanks BloodShed! Here's another mirror.
http://www.fileserve.com/file/RMSX7Uz

I_Ramiz
01-02-2011, 08:15 AM
About changing registry in every launch. In file .../steam/star wars jedi knight/32380_install.vdf you can change to needed cd-drive. But still no music :( Mb start new profile to see

Enemy crab
01-02-2011, 08:25 AM
It didn't work for me setting it to my lowest available drive, but once I switched my recovery partition with my virtual drive it worked (which ended up being D). So the lowest drive you should be using would probably be the next drive letter from your current primary partition with your OS.

I_Ramiz
01-02-2011, 09:11 AM
It didn't work for me setting it to my lowest available drive, but once I switched my recovery partition with my virtual drive it worked (which ended up being D). So the lowest drive you should be using would probably be the next drive letter from your current primary partition with your OS.

Not possible for me then. Well, not critical I guess?

BloodShed
01-02-2011, 09:59 AM
Thanks BloodShed! Here's another mirror.
http://www.fileserve.com/file/RMSX7Uz

Thanks I'll add that to the list

For me it was the first optical drive

Enemy crab
01-02-2011, 10:19 AM
Thanks I'll add that to the list

For me it was the first optical drive

What I meant was, it worked but I had to switch some drive letters around because the lowest letter my daemon tools could mount to wasn't the correct one so I had to change my D drive into something else to make room for it.

BloodShed
01-02-2011, 11:16 AM
What I meant was, it worked but I had to switch some drive letters around because the lowest letter my daemon tools could mount to wasn't the correct one so I had to change my D drive into something else to make room for it.

I find that quite weird o_O

http://img593.imageshack.us/img593/4470/clipboard02t.jpg
As you can see here the image is mounted as M:\ and I edit (and run) the reg file (or as I_Ramiz suggested the VDF file in the game directory) and start a new game the music will run.

Enemy crab
01-02-2011, 11:53 AM
Windows 7 64 bit here.

BloodShed
01-02-2011, 12:40 PM
Windows 7 64 bit here.

That is what I'm running as well

Enemy crab
01-02-2011, 07:17 PM
Has anybody fixed the issue where their music plays once per level and then silence for the rest of the level?

I_Ramiz
01-04-2011, 12:26 AM
Well. Burn that CD and insert it on my only drive and music plays almost perfect. Now, issue in finding a image for MotS )

F4LL0UT
01-04-2011, 04:29 AM
Uhm, is it just me or is CD 2 missing? Is there a reason for this?

And in case it might be helpful: I still have all original discs of Jedi Knight and Mysteries of the Sith, so I can provide you with the necessary audio tracks or create an image myself, for both JK Disc 2 or MotS.

BloodShed
01-04-2011, 06:04 AM
Uhm, is it just me or is CD 2 missing? Is there a reason for this?

And in case it might be helpful: I still have all original discs of Jedi Knight and Mysteries of the Sith, so I can provide you with the necessary audio tracks or create an image myself, for both JK Disc 2 or MotS.

If I remember right Disc 2 does not have any music.

I would like an ISO of MotS.

Trojax2010
01-04-2011, 09:29 AM
My disc 2 has 12 tracks (1 data/11 audio). I think you had to switch discs as the game progressed because the movies were spread out on 2 discs.

BloodShed
01-04-2011, 10:25 AM
My disc 2 has 12 tracks (1 data/11 audio). I think you had to switch discs as the game progressed because the movies were spread out on 2 discs.

Hmm I'm gonna check that when I get the time.

F4LL0UT
01-04-2011, 12:21 PM
Trojax is right. Disc 2 is used after defeating Maw (if I remember right) and features even more music than disc 1. Also: I already have a clean wav-rip of the MotS soundtrack and will upload it along with the music from disc 2 to my webspace and send you a link to the files, probably during the next couple of hours.

Edit:
It's done. Upload is ready and you got the links via PM. I won't publically provide my webspace for this though as long as I'm not completely positive that nobody is gonna complain because of copyright issues. In fact, I remember a website that provided all Star Wars game soundtracks as mp3s and had to remove those because LucasArts complained about it. Would be neat though to explain to them that this is just meant to clean up their mess with the lacking music and to get permission to host your images.

BloodShed
01-08-2011, 04:04 AM
Trojax is right. Disc 2 is used after defeating Maw (if I remember right) and features even more music than disc 1. Also: I already have a clean wav-rip of the MotS soundtrack and will upload it along with the music from disc 2 to my webspace and send you a link to the files, probably during the next couple of hours.

Edit:
It's done. Upload is ready and you got the links via PM. I won't publically provide my webspace for this though as long as I'm not completely positive that nobody is gonna complain because of copyright issues. In fact, I remember a website that provided all Star Wars game soundtracks as mp3s and had to remove those because LucasArts complained about it. Would be neat though to explain to them that this is just meant to clean up their mess with the lacking music and to get permission to host your images.

Where is the PM?

F4LL0UT
01-08-2011, 07:10 AM
Urgh, crapola. I made a mistake. I'm sending you another one right now. >.<

NeroConiglio
01-31-2011, 04:01 PM
I don't demand anything from you guys, but are you going to provide links to the JK and MotS complete soundtracks?

EDIT: by the way, couldn't we ask LucasArts to include the soundtracks along with the game files on Steam?

I mean, I know they have lost the source code and couldn't reprogram the game to read the tracks from the HD even it they wanted to, but they could give us the soundtracks to create the cd image on our own.

BloodShed
02-01-2011, 08:03 AM
I don't demand anything from you guys, but are you going to provide links to the JK and MotS complete soundtracks?

Sorry about that.

Work has been keeping me really busy, but now I have finished making the mix-mode images.

Uploading to dropbox now should be ready in 40min or so.

EDIT: by the way, couldn't we ask LucasArts to include the soundtracks along with the game files on Steam?

I mean, I know they have lost the source code and couldn't reprogram the game to read the tracks from the HD even it they wanted to, but they could give us the soundtracks to create the cd image on our own.

Doesn't hurt to ask.

BloodShed
02-01-2011, 09:50 AM
UPDATE:

Dark Forces II
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2663913/Steam%20Missing%20Music/Star%20Wars%20Jedi%20Knight%20Dark%20Forces%20II.r ar

Mysteries of the Sith
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2663913/Steam%20Missing%20Music/Star%20Wars%20Jedi%20Knight%20Mysteries%20of%20the %20Sith.rar

NeroConiglio
02-01-2011, 10:13 AM
Thanks.

I've looked for LucasArts contact info, but the only email address they provide is for tech support.

wesqmd
02-03-2011, 07:10 PM
basically, making this work is the same as load the tracks on media player and then play then in random mode? Moreover, I saw few tracks on this files.... the game repeats them all the time?

SparkTR
02-05-2011, 12:36 AM
At what point in the game do I have to load up disc 2?

CGB_Spender
02-06-2011, 09:40 AM
Hey guys

I just finished reading through this whole thread, and still haven't gotten music to work. I found my original disc, i bought like 13 years ago, music works fine in windows media player, but not in the game. I downloaded and edited the reg file, as instructed in this thread, still no dice. I also noticed the reg file says version 1.0, when I have version 1.01. Should this be a concern? Also, I can't play the music files from the bin files provided by this thread. is that normal?

I really appreciate you guys creating this thread and helping those of us who feel the game is bland without music. I had this game since I was 7 years old, and never played it without music till now.

wesqmd
02-06-2011, 09:05 PM
Hey guys

I just finished reading through this whole thread, and still haven't gotten music to work. I found my original disc, i bought like 13 years ago, music works fine in windows media player, but not in the game. I downloaded and edited the reg file, as instructed in this thread, still no dice. I also noticed the reg file says version 1.0, when I have version 1.01. Should this be a concern? Also, I can't play the music files from the bin files provided by this thread. is that normal?

I really appreciate you guys creating this thread and helping those of us who feel the game is bland without music. I had this game since I was 7 years old, and never played it without music till now.

me too... i couldn't make this thing work with a virtual drive emulator (which does exactly the same) and the songs appear in windows media player as a audio cd
I don't know what is happening and I did what all people here said

can someone help us with some tips? :(

SparkTR
02-07-2011, 12:31 AM
The registry edit doesn't work for me, the CD Path just reverts back to the JK Steam directory instead of sticking to my disc drive.

BloodShed
02-07-2011, 10:34 AM
The registry edit doesn't work for me, the CD Path just reverts back to the JK Steam directory instead of sticking to my disc drive.

Try this method
Goto "Steam\steamapps\common\jedi knight mysteries of the sith"

Open "32390_install.vdf" with notepad and change "CD Path" "%INSTALLDIR%" to the drive this image is mounted on.

Example: the image is mounted on F:\

The "CD Path" should look like this

"CD Path" "F:\\"

Save the changes and set the game to not auto update in the steam client.

spacebug
02-07-2011, 03:38 PM
What is the behaviour of the music supposed to be? Does it just play through the disk from start to finish, or is some of the music cued to events?

I'm considering just playing the music in the background in WMP, but if the behaviour is meant to be more complex than just played I'll do the whole virtual drive thing.

CGB_Spender
02-08-2011, 12:02 PM
No special behaviour of any kind, other than the music stops after the track is over, then it loops a few minutes later.

I noticed something of interest while playing the music in the background in WMP. When I adjust the in-game sound effects volume, WMP volume is also adjusted with it. Does this mean anything?

BloodShed
02-08-2011, 01:13 PM
No special behaviour of any kind, other than the music stops after the track is over, then it loops a few minutes later.

I noticed something of interest while playing the music in the background in WMP. When I adjust the in-game sound effects volume, WMP volume is also adjusted with it. Does this mean anything?

Other then they share the same volume, it does not mean anything else.

CGB_Spender
02-09-2011, 06:49 PM
I give up. Tried everything. Just gonna play mp3s from WMP. Where can I find the music mp3s? I can't seem to get the MDS file to work in WMP. Is it supposed to work?

spacebug
02-10-2011, 03:34 PM
You'd need to rip the mp3s yourself.

Use Daemon Tools (or some other CD emulator) and use it to mount one of the .cue files. Now your computer should think there is an audio CD in a CD drive. Use whatever mp3 ripping software you prefer to convert the songs for you.

Yeah, it's still a bit of messing about, but you don't have to worry about the game itself detecting the virtual drive. Once you've got the soundtrack as mp3 it'll be much more straightforward in future.

true_blue
02-12-2011, 03:03 AM
well I don't know what everyone is doing wrong but I downloaded your updated images and set the file to my mounted drive letter as you said and the music works even in an old save game :)
However.. if you complete a level then for some reason it doesn't start the music for the next one. You must save then ABORT to main menu then load your last save to get the music working.

Many thanks Bloodshed. I have the original discs also from the time they came out.. the manual paper is yellow with age :D But this is better than having the disc in the drive.

OH btw I mounted the image with MagicISO not DT so you don't NEED DT to do this.

spacebug
02-13-2011, 03:17 AM
Goto "Steam\steamapps\common\jedi knight mysteries of the sith"

Open "32390_install.vdf" with notepad and change "CD Path" "%INSTALLDIR%" to the drive this image is mounted on.

Example: the image is mounted on F:\

The "CD Path" should look like this

"CD Path" "F:\\"

Save the changes and set the game to not auto update in the steam client.

Well I tried this method and it worked, yay no messing about in the registry! I also had to go to Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Computer Management, Disk Management and change the drive letter of my real DVD drive to G so that the virtual drive could take F (so it's the highest drive other than physical hard drives). And it played music. At least, it plays the first two tracks and then stops.

I've made a playlist of all the tracks from both disks and I think I'll just put that on random repeat in WMP instead :)

true_blue
02-13-2011, 09:30 AM
Yes I noticed that too.. it plays 2 tracks and then stops.. as i said if you abort then load from main menu it starts again. But why does it stop after 2??? Is the 3rd track corrupt maybe?

At least, it plays the first two tracks and then stops.

I've made a playlist of all the tracks from both disks and I think I'll just put that on random repeat in WMP instead :)

CGB_Spender
02-13-2011, 09:23 PM
I still don't get why the actual game disc doesn't play the music, even with the game installed using the disc. Anyone have this problem?

true_blue
02-14-2011, 12:29 AM
As someone mentioned before, it is probably because there is no audio cable connecting your CD drive to your sound card. Which is what was needed to play the audio tracks years ago.
See this Picture. (http://www.cablesdirect.co.uk/Write/Images/CD-110.jpg)

I still don't get why the actual game disc doesn't play the music, even with the game installed using the disc. Anyone have this problem?

BloodShed
03-10-2011, 03:06 AM
voiding the purge

BloodShed
04-10-2011, 04:53 AM
Purge null and void

BloodShed
05-08-2011, 10:17 AM
Avoiding the purge

KowKiller
05-21-2011, 06:36 AM
At what point in the game do I have to load up disc 2?

I would like to know this too.

BloodShed
06-09-2011, 02:23 AM
voiding the purge

Snorkel
06-17-2011, 01:43 AM
You could ask a moderator if they'll sticky the thread...

Dragonsbrethren
07-08-2011, 08:59 AM
Has anybody fixed the issue where their music plays once per level and then silence for the rest of the level?

This is a pretty old post so I'm not sure if you're even checking for replies anymore, but if anyone else comes across this the only solution is to play on XP or an older version of Windows. Sorry. MS changed something about how CD audio is played in Vista, which prevents the music from looping properly. This affects pretty much every mid-90's game that played audio from the CD. :(

Bucky21659
07-11-2011, 09:17 PM
Download

Dark Forces II
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2663913/Steam%20Missing%20Music/Star%20Wars%20Jedi%20Knight%20Dark%20Forces%20II.r ar

Mysteries of the Sith
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2663913/Steam%20Missing%20Music/Star%20Wars%20Jedi%20Knight%20Mysteries%20of%20the %20Sith.rar

I CAN'T GET THE LINKS TO WORK! :eek: Can you put them both up on Megaupload??

BloodShed
07-12-2011, 01:47 AM

There are already mirror's for megaupload.

Document
07-25-2011, 12:36 AM
This is a pretty old post so I'm not sure if you're even checking for replies anymore, but if anyone else comes across this the only solution is to play on XP or an older version of Windows. Sorry. MS changed something about how CD audio is played in Vista, which prevents the music from looping properly. This affects pretty much every mid-90's game that played audio from the CD. :(

It happens for me under XP too, but loading a saved game starts the music up again.

BloodShed
08-06-2011, 10:41 AM
Purge null and void

Document
08-10-2011, 10:44 AM
The links work fine for me.

Muyfa666
08-27-2011, 02:31 AM
I've been trying to get the audio to work, but to no avail.

Now I'm opting for the mp3 approach. One thing thou: is there any of you JK-fans that knows which songs are played on which levels, or does the audio just play all the songs then loop?

Snorkel
08-29-2011, 03:04 PM
It just starts at track 1 and plays tracks in order.

Muyfa666
08-29-2011, 09:40 PM
Ok, tnx.

BloodShed
09-11-2011, 02:18 PM
Moving away from the purge.

Metin
11-06-2011, 03:09 PM
I am still confused as to how to get these files to work. I downloaded the JK files from the first link, unpacked them, then made an ISO and mounted it on the earliest possible letter of virtual drive, but I get nothing. What am I doing incorrectly?

e: I also tried burning an actual CD with the bin and cue files from JK_1 and still the game doesn't play it.

BloodShed
11-26-2011, 05:38 AM
Avoiding the purge

Dragonsbrethren
12-09-2011, 12:02 AM
I am still confused as to how to get these files to work. I downloaded the JK files from the first link, unpacked them, then made an ISO and mounted it on the earliest possible letter of virtual drive, but I get nothing. What am I doing incorrectly?

e: I also tried burning an actual CD with the bin and cue files from JK_1 and still the game doesn't play it.

I'm not sure if this applies to JK, but I know Quake and its kin only check the first CD drive letter. To get music in Quake, I had to make my virtual drive D and my physical drive E. Music works okay for me in JK; I'm just mounting the bin/cue with Daemon Tools. I shouldn't say "fine;" it never loops, as mentioned above, and it tends to stutter a lot.

Choum
12-29-2011, 01:58 AM
You can play music anymore with virtual drive as it no longer support analog audio, at least with daemon tools 4.
I don't know if there's a virtual drive software with analog audio support.

I have the original version on cd, I have to put the cd on one of my physical dvd-rom drive, and the dvd rom drive should have the analog audio cable connect on my sound card to have music.

I never try on a sata drive at this time (as on sata, there's no analog audio connector.)

Snorkel
01-29-2012, 02:42 PM

They work fine for me.

Oh, alas poor megaupload, I knew it well Horatio!

airblad3
02-06-2012, 03:36 PM
Thanks

SparkTR
02-10-2012, 10:39 AM
At what point in the game do I switch discs?

OptimusHun
02-10-2012, 12:55 PM
Just one question: if I wrote out theses images to a CD works to?

BloodShed
02-10-2012, 01:33 PM
Just one question: if I wrote out theses images to a CD works to?

yes as long the game know where the disc is

gordonfreeman1_
02-15-2012, 09:57 AM
Firstly, thanks BloodShed for sharing this music set. Now, after having gone through this thread completely, here are a few things I'd like to confirm:
1. On Windows Vista/7 it's not possible to get the music playing even when changing the drive letter in the 32390_install.vdf and 32380_install.vdf and mounting the image in a daemon tools virtual drive or actually burning a CD and putting it in a SATA drive which has no analog audio connector right?

2. To get this to work the only solution is to play the game in Windows XP, there is absolutely no way for this to work under windows 7?

If someone could make a mod with the music using references from http://www.jkhub.net/ to make the music totally hard disk based it would be awesome if point 2 is a yes.

gordonfreeman1_
02-16-2012, 12:26 PM
RESOLVED: Did the thing which I should have done first and changed the drive letter of my daemon tools drive to A: (no floppy drive these days :) ) as noted at one point here and IT WORKED!!! I guess I just ended up thinking that on 7 there was no point even trying that solution because of no directsound implementation. So Windows 7 64-bit daemon tools set to A: does make the audio work, thanks everyone :)

Also, would you be interested in sharing the dropbox files with my account BloodShed so we can have 2 mirrors of the links in case of bandwidth issues which cause people to have Bandwidth exceeded warnings sometimes when downloading?

BloodShed
02-17-2012, 08:36 AM
Also, would you be interested in sharing the dropbox files with my account BloodShed so we can have 2 mirrors of the links in case of bandwidth issues which cause people to have Bandwidth exceeded warnings sometimes when downloading?

Just pm me the links and I'll add them at the top.

Nomadif
03-31-2012, 07:01 PM
How do i know if my image has music or not? how can i tell?

BloodShed
04-01-2012, 12:18 AM
How do i know if my image has music or not? how can i tell?

You will know when you can play the music like a normal music cd (just keep in mind that track 1 contains data and thus does not play)

Nomadif
04-06-2012, 03:46 PM
Where can i find Daemon tools 3.47? i read somewhere that its the best version to use for this sort of situation. Also can i emulate CD audio with poweriso?

BloodShed
04-07-2012, 12:08 AM
Where can i find Daemon tools 3.47? i read somewhere that its the best version to use for this sort of situation. Also can i emulate CD audio with poweriso?

I have and old version of daemon tools you can use.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2663913/daemon347.exe

I believe you can, if it has a virtual drive.

EinKopfschuss
04-16-2012, 06:30 AM
I didn't read through this whole thread but just in case it wasn't mentioned to make the CD audio play the music, the disk must be mounted/inserted into the first CD drive in your list (for example if you have D: E: F: which are all CD drives... only D: will be used by the game to try and play music) I made my daemon tools drive my first CD drive in the order and the iso's play music just fine from it. I made iso images with stipped data track and just music with a readme quite a long time ago and had it hosted on megaupload so I'm glad someone sorted it out and hosted another.

OptimusHun
04-21-2012, 10:15 AM
It doesn't work for me. I burned the image to a disk, edited the reigtry file to E: since there's my DVD dirve, but nothing. I don't want Daemon Tools on my system right now. So far I have problem with the graphics. :D

GundamMKII
05-20-2012, 12:48 AM
So I have the cue file mounted to the virtual drive of my letter with great success with music plays, but with one problem, it goes through the entire track. Playing the first stage it will play all the music on the file and will stop after it has run its course. It will replay once the level has changed, but does the same thing again. So could someone kindly explain to me what I am doing wrong?

BloodShed
05-20-2012, 02:22 AM
So I have the cue file mounted to the virtual drive of my letter with great success with music plays, but with one problem, it goes through the entire track. Playing the first stage it will play all the music on the file and will stop after it has run its course. It will replay once the level has changed, but does the same thing again. So could someone kindly explain to me what I am doing wrong?

The game has problems with newer OS nothing you can do about it.

rlowy86
06-20-2012, 10:45 PM
I got the images and tried setting them to "E" which is the first one after my DVD drive. From what people said here they've had mixed results with using any letter after their hard drives, can anyone confirm that it needs to be the first letter because I'd rather not screw with that.
I tried both methods with no results at all. I first tried with the latest DT then because someone posted that the new ones don't have the right functions I tried the old one but it says that it's not compatible with my OS (Windows 7 64-bit). would really love to have this working.

BloodShed
06-21-2012, 07:45 AM
I got the images and tried setting them to "E" which is the first one after my DVD drive. From what people said here they've had mixed results with using any letter after their hard drives, can anyone confirm that it needs to be the first letter because I'd rather not screw with that.
I tried both methods with no results at all. I first tried with the latest DT then because someone posted that the new ones don't have the right functions I tried the old one but it says that it's not compatible with my OS (Windows 7 64-bit). would really love to have this working.

The drive you are using for the music MUST be the first.
Also did you remember to read the instructions thats on the image?

gordonfreeman1_
06-21-2012, 11:55 AM
Just set your drive letter with the latest Daemon Tools to A:, floppy drives are most likely not part of your rig ;) Also, I've tested this and it works in Windows Vista 64-bit. The music does not loop but it's still much better than complete silence!

rlowy86
06-21-2012, 12:21 PM
tried a combination of switching the DT drive to "D" the first available drive, and making the DT drive a "SCSI" type instead of a "DT" type drive. not sure which did it but it works now.
only problem is it only plays once then stops, unless i go back to the main menu and load the game. i have heard that this is an issue with windows 7 64-bit. i was wondering, is there any reason that you can't make an image of the discs but switch the original sound files with versions that you made the music longer? i mean use audacity or something and then just make the track as however many times you want it to loop?

Myself =P
06-23-2012, 11:15 AM
tried a combination of switching the DT drive to "D" the first available drive, and making the DT drive a "SCSI" type instead of a "DT" type drive. not sure which did it but it works now.
only problem is it only plays once then stops, unless i go back to the main menu and load the game. i have heard that this is an issue with windows 7 64-bit. i was wondering, is there any reason that you can't make an image of the discs but switch the original sound files with versions that you made the music longer? i mean use audacity or something and then just make the track as however many times you want it to loop?

Probably its an issue that the music isn't configured to loop on Win7, maybe messing around with Direct Sound should do it, but I'm not sure

gordonfreeman1_
06-24-2012, 11:33 AM
Direct Sound has been removed from Windows Vista onwards so the looping of audio cd tracks does not work in many legacy games as per my understanding. It's something of a miracle the single playback is working to be honest, probably there's some legacy handling of analog CD audio signals still remaining in Windows.

rlowy86
06-26-2012, 09:39 PM
is there a way to download direct sound? i know that many windows features that were cut out from vista onwards can be downloaded and installed seperatly

gordonfreeman1_
06-27-2012, 11:39 AM
I don't think it's an issue with DirectSound itself as whatever MS included as its replacement does much of its work, instead I'd advise Creative's OpenAL and Rapture if you have a Creative Sound Card to restore EAX in old games. Concerning Jedi Knight, the problem is that CD drives came with an analog audio cable which allowed the CD audio to be streamed to your computer straight from the drive which allowed old games to play CD quality music without taxing slow old processors. As this does not seem to have remained on modern disc drives (and since this game version is a download), that expected audio signal is absent and the newer versions of Windows have dropped support for processing it in the expected way even if it is provided as DirectSound was dropped. If you find any way of getting the looping running please do let us know.

Also, if anyone is interested in making an audio mod which correctly inserts reencoded audio for this game as the background music, please do so, http://www.jkhub.net/ has tonnes of documentation and resources to help! [I just don't have the knowledge to do all this!]

mecagoentoooooo
07-01-2012, 05:25 AM
Well, Usually I havenīt have any problems with Daemon Tools except now. I have not any kind of partitions on my hard disk. My Daemon Tools version is 4.08HE and I canīt switch the Unit disk letter to D: or A: or other letters except E: (this letter is the next one to D: I have read all the readme texts I have changed
"%INSTALLDIR%" to this "E:\\" Finally all looks like these: "CD Path" "E:\\".

But, the music canīt work in the game. I am confused because by the moment I can only listen the music through the windows media player by double clicking at the disk unit mounted by Daemon Tools, so please can you help me? In addition I would like make two questions. When does start the music at the game? Maybe I should play more to see If it works or not, and the second one is, When I should use the rest of CD images? Sorry for my english and thanks.

eatken3
07-20-2012, 08:45 PM
Thank you so fricken much :)

BloodShed
08-01-2012, 01:03 PM
Avoiding the purge

BloodShed
11-19-2012, 09:53 AM
Purge is Null

BooCheese
11-26-2012, 09:31 PM
Your music threads should get stickied. Thanks.

EdisLeado
01-04-2013, 01:36 AM
For some odd reason, neither of the Dropbox links are working for me. Would someone be so kind as to upload it to another file host (other than Megaupload and the like that are down)?

BloodShed
01-04-2013, 05:33 AM
For some odd reason, neither of the Dropbox links are working for me. Would someone be so kind as to upload it to another file host (other than Megaupload and the like that are down)?

They are working fine right now.

BloodShed
08-02-2013, 11:50 AM
Added mirrors

Snorkel
01-16-2014, 03:42 PM
Finally got round to extracting the Mysteries of the Sith music and discovered that it re-uses tracks from Dark Forces II

Tracks 1-4 are DF2 Disk 1 tracks 3-6
Tracks 5-10 are DF2 Disk 2 tracks 2-7
Tracks 11-13 are DF2 Disk 2 tracks 9-11

So for people who are using the music player solution, you may not want to bother downloading and extracting MotS seperately :)

CombustableLems
01-19-2014, 07:57 PM
I mounted the JEDI_1.bin image and did all things regarding the "set CD_Path.reg" no music plays

i am using VirtualCloneDrive

gordonfreeman1_
01-20-2014, 06:52 AM
I mounted the JEDI_1.bin image and did all things regarding the "set CD_Path.reg" no music plays

i am using VirtualCloneDrive

Try setting virtual drive letter to A:, helped solve the playback issues for some people.

CombustableLems
01-25-2014, 05:21 PM
just to get it out there, i was able to get the music working in-game by downloading the JK_.CD steamfix (http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1656336/JKSteamFix.zip) after doing the rest of the rest of the stuff (registry change, setting disk mount to drive A etc etc)

extract ONLY the JK_.CD file into \common\Star Wars Jedi Knight\Resource

ZedHqX4
04-05-2014, 04:25 PM
In case anyone would like to know the order of the tracks they play per level here they are (remember track 1 is the data track)

CD1
1: "Double-Cross on Nar Shaddaa" 2 2 3
2: "The Lost Disk" 3 3 2
3: "The Return Home to Sulon" 4 5 4
4: "The Jedi's Lightsaber" 5 5 4
5: "Barons Hed - The Fallen City" 6 7 6
6: "Into the Dark Palace" 2 3 2 (though i think it was a mistake form someone on LA and it should be 6 7 6, i'll explain at the end why)
7: "YUN - The Dark Youth" 8 8 8
8: "Palace Escape" 7 7 6

CD2
9: "Fuel Station Launch" 2 4 2
10: "8t88's Reward" 3 4 2
11: "GORC AND PIC - The Brothers of the Force" 8 8 8
12: "Escape With The Map" 4 4 2
13: "The Lost Planet of the Jedi" 5 7 5
14: "MAW - The Revenge" 9 9 9
15: "The Falling Ship" /"Into the Darkside" 8 8 8
16: "SARISS - Jedi Battleground"/"YUN - Battle to the Death" 10 10 10
17: "The Valley Tower Ascent" 6 7 5
18: "Descent into the Valley" 7 7 5
19: "The Valley of the Jedi" 7 7 5
20: "BOC - The Crude"/"BOC - A Nuisance" 11 11 11
21: "Jerec - The Force Within"/"JEREC - Battle for Power" 12 12 12

Every level has a playlist of 3, and then it loops. I dont know it it has some kind of trigger inside the levels, since i havent played it in almost 10 years, but i remember parts where the next track wouldnt keep playing till later on.

CD1 has 8 tracks (track 1 is the data)
CD2 has 12 tracks (track 1 is the data)

I got these from my cd, inside the #:\GAMEDATA\EPISODE\JK1.GOB file.

I'll get technical from here on, so you can ignore the rest of this post.

Inside the JK1.GOB file, there are the levels. Opening that file with "container manager" (conman), you can find the levels in format jkl if you open those in notepad, you'll find on most levels the line 00_soundtrack.cog twice, the second time it appears, it has the parameters to which tracks to play. the only exception to this are levels 06a (5.- Barons Hed - The Fallen City) and level 09 (9.- Fuel Station Launch), those include a line to a file called 0#_starlevel.cog that has the track order.

I think on level 6 someone made a mistake, since it has both the line 00_soundtrack.cog, and the 06b_starlevel.cog, on the line it calls for tracks 2 3 2, but on the file it calls for tracks 6 7 6.