PDA

View Full Version : 64 Bit incompatibility

Timon5022
10-26-2009, 03:56 AM
Hi Guys

Recently I've been trying to make a game (Baldur's Gate) work on Win7 64 bit and no matter what I do I just can't seem to make it work. I've tried all the in-built compatibility measures from Win 95 to Windows XP to no avail.

Is there anything else I can do to make it work? I know it works on 32 bit and now I just wanna make it work on 64 bit :)

When I start it up, it says "launching" and then that's it. It crashes, it's supposed to show me a menu but I guess it doesn't get that far. When I tried using win 95/98 it came up with the "the application has encountered and unexpected error" or something like that.

Thanks in advance :)

Specs:
Win 7 64 bit
8800GT
C2D E6750
2GB Ram

PS:
I just read about this:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms164699.aspx
Corflags conversion tool that apparently enables you to force an executable to run in 32 bit mode, is that something I can use? if so, how do I actually access that tool?

Braineh
10-26-2009, 04:16 AM
I guess you won't need a tool like that because games r programmed 32bit anyway, even steam runs as 32bit process. So forcing a 32bit program running 32bit doesn't make sense :)

Timon5022
10-26-2009, 04:21 AM
I guess you won't need a tool like that because games r programmed 32bit anyway, even steam runs as 32bit process. So forcing a 32bit program running 32bit doesn't make sense :)

Well most games are, anyways, but this game works on 32 but not 64 so I guess forcing 32 bit would work?

Braineh
10-26-2009, 04:27 AM
If you got at least the professional win 7, you could try running it using a Virtual PC, you got a free XP included in Win 7... I don't think forcing it to use 32bit makes a difference as it's anyway 32bit (shoulda see that when launchin it, look into the task manager).

Timon5022
10-26-2009, 05:07 AM
If you got at least the professional win 7, you could try running it using a Virtual PC, you got a free XP included in Win 7... I don't think forcing it to use 32bit makes a difference as it's anyway 32bit (shoulda see that when launchin it, look into the task manager).

oh, how do you access that virtual PC? and is that virtual PC also 64bit?
I just looked at their website and installed the 64bit version, should I have installed the 32 bit version instead?

Braineh
10-26-2009, 05:36 AM
You'll find it here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=fb633e9d-ddbc-4044-bb09-4f99e757064e

It's XP SP3, that's just 32bit :)

System Requirements

Supported Operating Systems: Windows 7Windows 7 Professional, Windows 7 Ultimate, or Windows 7 Enterprise.

Hard disk requirement: 2GB for installing Windows XP Mode. Additional 15GB of hard disk space for the virtual Windows environment.Note: You can use Windows Virtual PC (http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=149077) to run Windows XP Mode on your computer. Windows Virtual PC requires processor capable of hardware virtualization, with AMD-V™, Intel® VT or VIA® VT turned on (http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=160097) in the BIOS.

Timon5022
10-26-2009, 05:49 AM
oh great, tyvm :)

just one question, I have two files, which one should I download?

WindowsXPMode_en-us.exe 469.8 MB
WindowsXPMode_N_en-us.exe 449.0 MB

does it matter?

TangleFoot
10-26-2009, 06:24 AM
Does this (http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_n.asp) answer your question?

Timon5022
10-26-2009, 07:12 AM
Does this (http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_n.asp) answer your question?

yeah it does, tyvm :) I'll see if I can make it work a little later today, ty

Timon5022
10-26-2009, 09:03 AM
Okay, the Virtual PC idea was actually really good, except from the fact that there is hardly any 3D Graphics support on Virtual PC so what else can I do? besides multi-booting?

Can I persue a solution through the CorFlag tool? or is that really a no-go?

Timon5022
10-26-2009, 11:04 AM
Okay I tried getting all this to work, but now I'm at another dead-end. Look at this picture:
http://img49.imageshack.us/img49/4827/86603482.png

Is this because this is because it's not really a .net assembly right? so how do I procede from here?

Thanks in advance.

Braineh
10-26-2009, 11:15 AM
Okay, the Virtual PC idea was actually really good, except from the fact that there is hardly any 3D Graphics support on Virtual PC so what else can I do? besides multi-booting?

Can I persue a solution through the CorFlag tool? or is that really a no-go?
Did you install drivers and so on on the virtual PC? You can install everything you want, gfx drivers, .net framework, Visual C++ Runtime, whatever is needed. :)

Timon5022
10-26-2009, 11:25 AM
Did you install drivers and so on on the virtual PC? You can install everything you want, gfx drivers, .net framework, Visual C++ Runtime, whatever is needed. :)

Are you sure? I believe I read somewhere that there were no support.. and when I look at the virtual PC it only has a pentium III processor.. how do I change its hardware?

TangleFoot
10-26-2009, 11:28 AM
Is this (http://forums.bioware.com/viewtopic.html?topic=700768&forum=10) of any use to you?

Timon5022
10-26-2009, 11:34 AM
Is this (http://forums.bioware.com/viewtopic.html?topic=700768&forum=10) of any use to you?

Sorry it doesn't, it only addresses how to play widescreen mode. And I've already tried all the compatibility options.

Braineh
10-26-2009, 11:36 AM
Are you sure? I believe I read somewhere that there were no support.. and when I look at the virtual PC it only has a pentium III processor.. how do I change its hardware?
awwww, you could be right there. Just installed it and I get a 15 year old gfx card lol. must have been something different then...

Timon5022
10-26-2009, 11:43 AM
awwww, you could be right there. Just installed it and I get a 15 year old gfx card lol. must have been something different then...

hehe so I guess I'm out of luck then? >.<

TangleFoot
10-26-2009, 11:45 AM
Have you tried running the game executable directly?

Timon5022
10-26-2009, 04:13 PM
Have you tried running the game executable directly?

yup, but still doesn't work. it's like it doesn't really start up.

MADDOGGE
10-26-2009, 06:07 PM
Hi Guys

Recently I've been trying to make a game (Baldur's Gate) work on Win7 64 bit and no matter what I do I just can't seem to make it work. I've tried all the in-built compatibility measures from Win 95 to Windows XP to no avail.

Is there anything else I can do to make it work? I know it works on 32 bit and now I just wanna make it work on 64 bit :)

When I start it up, it says "launching" and then that's it. It crashes, it's supposed to show me a menu but I guess it doesn't get that far. When I tried using win 95/98 it came up with the "the application has encountered and unexpected error" or something like that.

Thanks in advance :)

Specs:
Win 7 64 bit
8800GT
C2D E6750
2GB Ram

PS:
I just read about this:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms164699.aspx
Corflags conversion tool that apparently enables you to force an executable to run in 32 bit mode, is that something I can use? if so, how do I actually access that tool?

Not sure just how old Baldur Gate is but chances are if it's old enough, it has a 16 bit installer even though you say the game itself is 32 bit. I have several games in the same boat that I play on Win7 64. BUT to do so I multi boot. I install them on a 32 bit OS(XP) on another partition and play them on Win7 through a shortcut to the .exe file on the XP partition. They work fine for me that way.

As for virtual box, though I still can't get Win98 to properly install and then work; I did get XP installed last week and running some early win98 games using the beta graphical support. It's not great because it only ran 2 of the five games I tried but it does beats the normal 8mb graphics limit from before though.

I wish we could get a real virtual machine of some type with at least a emulated 64 to 128 mb graphics card.

Timon5022
10-27-2009, 02:47 AM
Not sure just how old Baldur Gate is but chances are if it's old enough, it has a 16 bit installer even though you say the game itself is 32 bit. I have several games in the same boat that I play on Win7 64. BUT to do so I multi boot. I install them on a 32 bit OS(XP) on another partition and play them on Win7 through a shortcut to the .exe file on the XP partition. They work fine for me that way.

As for virtual box, though I still can't get Win98 to properly install and then work; I did get XP installed last week and running some early win98 games using the beta graphical support. It's not great because it only ran 2 of the five games I tried but it does beats the normal 8mb graphics limit from before though.

I wish we could get a real virtual machine of some type with at least a emulated 64 to 128 mb graphics card.

oh, so you are saying that it is possible to play the game on Win 7 just by creating another partition and installing XP and then place a shortcut from that drive on Win7 and then run it? If that is so, then isn't it possible to just create a new partition and do some crazy formatting of sorts and then run it that way without dual-booting. I mean, if all you actually do is install it on another partition but still run it through win7 and its resources.. then why do you actually need the Win XP? other than the partition itself?

Mr_Zo
10-27-2009, 05:02 AM
A partition is a partition, nothing more.
If it is a 16-bit application it will not run in a 64-bit Windows environment, it's simply not supported. If you really want to play this game, you will have to create a dual boot or find an emulator that can run 16-bit applications.
Can you confirm that the game itself is 32-bit?

MADDOGGE
10-27-2009, 05:46 AM
oh, so you are saying that it is possible to play the game on Win 7 just by creating another partition and installing XP and then place a shortcut from that drive on Win7 and then run it? If that is so, then isn't it possible to just create a new partition and do some crazy formatting of sorts and then run it that way without dual-booting. I mean, if all you actually do is install it on another partition but still run it through win7 and its resources.. then why do you actually need the Win XP? other than the partition itself?You need the OS to do the work of installing the game. An empty formatted partition is just so much empty space doing nothing. I mean if you have Vista 32 on your rig it will probably do the job also if the game doesn't have any unsigned drivers to halt installation. It's just so much easier on XP.

A partition is a partition, nothing more.
If it is a 16-bit application it will not run in a 64-bit Windows environment, it's simply not supported. If you really want to play this game, you will have to create a dual boot or find an emulator that can run 16-bit applications.
Can you confirm that the game itself is 32-bit?I agree Mr_Zo you will not run a 16 bit application/game on a 64 bit OS. If the Wiki can be trusted it says the original game was a Win95 game. This means that both game and installer could be 16bit. There were a lot of games back then that actually were DOS games that just installed through the Win95 interface. Ya hoo for graphical interfaces.