PDA

View Full Version : Radeon 4xxx series card, crashes after 20 mins of good play

HannibalX
10-26-2009, 03:44 PM
Basically this is my problem, im copy pasting from another site.

Borderlands ATI 4xxx series problem : You play normally for around 20 minutes or so, before the game suddenly freeze, screen goes black, and a message box from the CCC pops ups telling you that VPU Recover has reset your driver due to it having stopped responding.

I have a Radeon 4890 HD.

Anyone else have this problem here? Know any quick fixes or do I have to wait for a patch? Ive already updated my drivers but it didn't help.

Skeena
10-26-2009, 03:53 PM
I also have a 4890 but it does not crash for me, I read in some other guys post that the cause is the 32 bit os(windows vista 32bit)I have 64 bit so maybe that is why it works for me.

Hopefully they fix this.

j3sus
10-26-2009, 04:03 PM
im having similar crash problems, however now its aprox 3 mins into game. as soon as i start the skags mission it crashes. i have a 4870 but am running windows 7 64-bit

HannibalX
10-26-2009, 04:15 PM
im having similar crash problems, however now its aprox 3 mins into game. as soon as i start the skags mission it crashes. i have a 4870 but am running windows 7 64-bit

ok now im in the same boat as you. I load the game, start the skag mission and it crashes

2Real
10-26-2009, 04:16 PM
i have a 4850 and works perfect

thedoomisnear2
10-26-2009, 04:20 PM
Ok I was going to download this immediately but after seeing this im hesitating. Heres my gfx and os: Radeon HD 4670 ice q and im running windows vista 64... is this going to affect me?

dubbs
10-26-2009, 04:23 PM
Ok I was going to download this immediately but after seeing this im hesitating. Heres my gfx and os: Radeon HD 4670 ice q and im running windows vista 64... is this going to affect me?

i have the exact same gfx card but im using windows 7 x64

waltwalt
10-26-2009, 04:24 PM
I've got a 4870 X2 updated to this weeks drivers and after about 20 minutes I start getting serious artifacting. I noticed the GPU temp got up to about 52c.

I'm running 2560x1600 16AS with v-sync enabled, flawless other than the artifacting after 20 minutes or so.

Win7 64

-ww

j3sus
10-26-2009, 04:26 PM
ill update my drivers and post if that helps

thedoomisnear2
10-26-2009, 04:26 PM
52 c is hot? My friend had his idle at around 65.... thats hot... Anyways I dont have any problems with other games such as TF2... dubbs is yours working fine?

j3sus
10-26-2009, 04:44 PM
no improvement after updated drivers -_- and mine runs over 52c most of the time...

j3sus
10-26-2009, 04:45 PM
also i have no audio during the disappointingly low res movies

sfade
10-26-2009, 04:52 PM
Running a 4870 under Windows 7 x64 and it's flawless. Nearly 4 continuous hours of play before taking a break here, not a single glitch. Game is fantastic!

Sounds like a lot of people might not have proper case ventilation. Just a note here, your GPU core temp can be in an acceptable range while the memory can be way too hot, depending on circumstances. Cards such as the 4870 are capable of showing you memory temps, I'd suggest checking them after running the game bit. I typically run at around 70c core and 80c on the memory while in game (card is overclocked).

slly
10-26-2009, 08:20 PM
intel q6600, 8gb ram, ati/amd 4870, windows 7 here. did the same thing in vista.

there seems to be a problem with fan control in the game and causes the graphics system to reset.

anyway, install and launch catalyst control center, enable the advanced mode.

graphics menu | ati overdrive
click the lock icon to unlock the settings
check the box for manual fan control
move the slider to 60%
click apply

i guess we wait for a driver update from amd/ati.

killedlove
10-26-2009, 08:26 PM

resident evil 5 is very problematic with ATI cards(with mine as well). even with newer cards like 4890, and they didn't release a fix so far.... ati has very poor 'client care'

JayFirelance
10-26-2009, 08:38 PM
I have 4870, I'm doing fine.

the dunce
10-26-2009, 08:39 PM
4870 here, played for 5 hours straight without a single issue.

markkleb
10-26-2009, 08:43 PM
I have a pair of 4770s and its working fine for me so far

Krid
10-26-2009, 09:00 PM
52C? 70C? 80C?
I had to take steps to cut down my 4850's workload because my computer kept doing an emergency power-off whenever my video card hit 120C - and yes, I DO mean water-boiling heat.

I think my next 'case' will be an aquarium filled with mineral oil that will be pumped through old car radiator. The car radiator, of course, will be left outside on the northern face of my building for maximum cooling. Or stuck in a fridge. Whichever.

ias600
10-26-2009, 09:14 PM
I have a Radeon 4890 and could only play for about 2 min to 3 min before it would hang with a black screen or crash to the desktop.

I went in C:\Users\Nick\Documents\My Games\Borderlands\WillowGame\Config and edited WillowEngine.ini to turn VSync on usevsync=true

I changed UseVsync=false to UseVsync=true
I also changed:
Motionblur=true
bloom=true
lensflare=true
allowd3d10=true

all these settings are in the [SystemSettings]
part of WillowEngine.ini

I have played for 2 hours straight now, I don't know which one helped but it works now.

I am running windows 7 64bit
Phenom II X2 545
4GB Ram
Radeon 4890

Samsara
10-26-2009, 09:15 PM
I have occasionally had problems with this in vista 32-bit and very rarely in windows 7 64-bit with various games.

especially with vista, ATI cards have problems with some games when Aero is enabled, try turning off aero themes in windows vista, or alternatly create a special shortcut for the game and set the advanced option "Disable Desktop Composition".

see if that helps, im not having the problem (well still downloading the game right now) so i cannot test.

pdcrowley
10-27-2009, 09:00 AM
4870x2 with latest 9.10. I have manual fan control on 75%. The card gets up to 105 degrees after 5 minutes of gameplay and starts to artifact. I've been able to play if I turn down all the settings but otherwise it is way too hot. I tried reinstalling the drivers - nothing.

I don't have this problem with TF2, Cysis Warhead, or Bioshock.

Win 7 x64
q6600
8 gb ram
4870x2

sander_dutch
10-27-2009, 09:14 AM
Seems like a problem with some 4870x2 doing some heavy artifacting and high temps. I had a crashing/artifacting problem before with my 4870 (single) because it apparently had a old firmware that didn't switch well between 2d and 3d processing. Dawn of War Soulstorm and Dbefense Grid always crashed within minutes even on lowest settings!

After the firmware update it runs everything great.
So don't just check your driver (ATI 9.10 is the latest), but check if your card's firmware is known for problems. Only update your firmware if you have problems though, as it is not without risk and it is a bit of a hassle to boot in DOS.

Oh, and my 4870 idles around 65 degrees or 60 degrees with 30% fan in CCC overdrive (over 30% the fan gets too loud). Room temp is 25

Xealot42
10-27-2009, 09:26 AM
4870 here, played for 5 hours straight without a single issue.

Same here. I played for around 6 hours with my 2 1GB 4870s in CrossFire with no problems (Win7 64 bit, Catalyst 9.10). The game is pretty demanding though. They were at 70%-100% load most of the time and around 65-70 degrees C.

pdcrowley
10-27-2009, 10:35 AM
Seems like a problem with some 4870x2 doing some heavy artifacting and high temps. I had a crashing/artifacting problem before with my 4870 (single) because it apparently had a old firmware that didn't switch well between 2d and 3d processing. Dawn of War Soulstorm and Dbefense Grid always crashed within minutes even on lowest settings!

After the firmware update it runs everything great.
So don't just check your driver (ATI 9.10 is the latest), but check if your card's firmware is known for problems. Only update your firmware if you have problems though, as it is not without risk and it is a bit of a hassle to boot in DOS.

Oh, and my 4870 idles around 65 degrees or 60 degrees with 30% fan in CCC overdrive (over 30% the fan gets too loud). Room temp is 25

where did you get the firmware update?

nocturnefoxx
10-27-2009, 10:40 AM
4850 with Vista 32bit; only had one crash early-on, after an hour of play. Then played for three more hours without even a hiccup. So, take that for what you will.

dred79
10-27-2009, 10:46 AM
it sounds like there are no ATI issues. Most complaints seem to be heat or artifacting which relates to overheating. =P If you guys built computer in a tiny box with no airflow open the sidepanel. or better yet get an air can and clean out the fan on the video card.

I had a friend where his pc was freezing in every game all the sudden after working flawlessly for 6 months. he checked his videocard temps and they were crazy high. He cleaned the card many times and still had high temps. Finally he removed the plastic shell housing over the heatsink and fan and he had this Ginormous dust ball blocking all airflow. lol

He cleaned that up been working perfectly ever since.

Korn1699
10-27-2009, 11:12 AM
I didn't have any issues with my 4890. I also have a 9800 GTX+ for games with PhysX. I'm running Windows 7 x64 with setting maxed out.

Vasives
10-27-2009, 11:21 AM
it sounds like there are no ATI issues. Most complaints seem to be heat or artifacting which relates to overheating. =P If you guys built computer in a tiny box with no airflow open the sidepanel. or better yet get an air can and clean out the fan on the video card.

I had a friend where his pc was freezing in every game all the sudden after working flawlessly for 6 months. he checked his videocard temps and they were crazy high. He cleaned the card many times and still had high temps. Finally he removed the plastic shell housing over the heatsink and fan and he had this Ginormous dust ball blocking all airflow. lol

He cleaned that up been working perfectly ever since.

Im not sure it is an overheating issue, ive played games where my temps get into the mid 90s C (4870x2) and no crashing.

This game even tho system specs are not all that high seems to be really pushing my card. I think it is either driver issues or coding issues. Hopefully one of these gets fixed.

I was however able to make my card not crash. I play the game in windowed mode forcing one of my gpu cores to run at max default clocks. Not sure why this works and disabling crossfire does not, I guess it has something to do with full screen.

pdcrowley
10-27-2009, 12:12 PM
^
he is right-i've had this card for a year and can play anything out there with no problems. I'm pretty sure it is a driver issue.

Is there a setting for windowed mode or did you have to change it somewhere else?

Vasives
10-27-2009, 12:25 PM
to enable window mode you can go to C:\Users\User\Documents\My Games\Borderlands\WillowGame\Config and willowengine.ini

edit Fullscreen=False change False to True... or you can hold alt and enter to force windowed mode while in game.

dubbs
10-27-2009, 12:27 PM
resident evil 5 is very problematic with ATI cards(with mine as well). even with newer cards like 4890, and they didn't release a fix so far.... ati has very poor 'client care'

i have no problems with resident evil 5.

i get like 50-70 fps constant with a 4670 and thats with 4x AA all settings max

also ATI bring new drivers out every months, RE5 was fixed in one of them.

just make sure u have up to date drivers

NFS shift on the other hand hasnt been fixed

Vaskre
10-27-2009, 12:35 PM
I had issues with my 4870X2. Only way I could play was to disable dynamic shadows and lower my resolution to 1024x768... =/

dred79
10-27-2009, 12:56 PM
I would still make sure you have cleaned your fan on the video card out if you have had it over 6 months.. My friends 4870x2 did start to overheat after 6 months but once he cleaned it out been rock solid. i watercool mine so all i can say is played for 5 hours straight hosting on my computer playing co-op with two of my friends each having an air cooled 4870x2 video cards and not a single issue. using windows 7 64 bit. so no idea how it could be a driver related issue.

CaptnCrunch
10-27-2009, 01:04 PM
I have a 4870 and every thing has been running great with max settings at 1600x900. It might just be overheating or it might not even be a video card problem. Also if it helps I have Windows 7 64bit and a Q6600. BTW nothing in my pc is overclocked.

pdcrowley
10-27-2009, 01:17 PM
please stop posting if yours has been working properly with Badlands, you are not helping anyone. We are looking for ways to fix it other than driver updates.

It is no coincidence that there is a portion of 4xxx owners that had cards that worked fine with other games, and now they don't. We all don't have dust problems either as mine is clean - I clean it every month.

Vaskre, I had to do the same thing to stop the overheating. I haven't tried windowed mode yet but someone said that helps. I also tried to force the low level clocks using Riva Tuner to stop ATI Powerplay from switching from 2d/3d and did not have any success.

pdcrowley
10-27-2009, 01:20 PM
and a good thread at the official forum for 4xxx users - many of the same issues: http://gbxforums.gearboxsoftware.com/showthread.php?t=78815

dred79
10-27-2009, 01:25 PM
Vaskre, I had to do the same thing to stop the overheating.
Video games should never cause your card to overheat. Unless you have a video card defect i fail to see where this maybe a software issue such as drivers. sure you can run in window lower your clocks to compensate for bad cooling/airflow but that still doesn't mean its a software issue.

Edit: actually an easy thing to do would be if you have a desk fan that you can put up agains your case with the sidepanel off and blow on the videocard if it becomes stable and no crashing you just confirmed you need to get your card cooler.

Obviously this is a pain but if you wanted to really rule out software as the cause of the issue you could backup your computer and do a fresh install windows and try the game with latest drivers.. if it still fails then you know its not software its hardware.

On the subject of cleaning the dust out of your videocard ya sorry to sound like a broken record. but my friend cleaned his 5 times and he was still overheating.. he even removed the heatsink and reapplied compound and it was still overheating.. it wasn't untill he removed the plastic shell housing covering the fan and heatsink did he find this huge patch of dust bunny blocking all his airflow that he wasn't able to blow out.. he had to dismantle his heatsink.

So again if you guys are still having strabge crashing and stability issues and nothing software is solving the problem. i highly recommend looking into that.

pdcrowley
10-27-2009, 01:31 PM
I had a similar problem with this card and Crysis Warhead before they released new drivers. This card works flawlessly with any other game I play right now, hovers around 80 degrees which is normal.

Read up on ATI Powerplay, it's known to cause overheating from switching between 2D/3D.

I just did a clean install of Windows 7, not an upgrade. I also already reinstalled the drivers after cleaning the registry. Again, I can play TF2, Crysis, and Bioshock maxed out with no issues.

jrobs
10-27-2009, 01:34 PM
I just noticed these lines in the config file:

DisableATITextureFilterOptimizationChecks=True
UseMinimalNVIDIADriverShaderOptimization=True

Seems like there manufacturer specific optimizations

dred79
10-27-2009, 01:41 PM
Well i searched the powerplay stuff but couldn't find anything concrete. There seems to be some sort of powerplay issue when its switching from 2d to 3d but could not find any guaranteed solution to it.. What i do know is if powerplay was the sole cause of this why wouldn't it effect everyone?

If you think that relates to the issue maybe you can find a way to turn it off? see if it fixes the issue.

Also if it were a software issue wouldn't we see someone with this problem on a watercooled video card? IF not then maybe one way to work around the problem is just cool your card beyond normal means? =P i know lame solution but just saying. =)

pdcrowley
10-27-2009, 01:45 PM
The past work around was to use RivaTuner to force low level clock settings.

This did not work for this game. I may try the new beta ATI drivers. Otherwise I'm just going to wait for them to fix it. I've ruled out everything else.

dred79
10-27-2009, 02:41 PM
pdcrowley I don't know about you.. But this some games working and some don't thing would be pissing me off. I would be thinking defective card maybe? maybe you need to update the motherboard bios maybe change your bios settings like the pcie speed or something. It can't be software cause the software on your computer is the exact same i am using on mine. same cards. yet i do not have any issues. I feel like it has to be something else. The evidence to prove its software does not make sense or is not concrete.

HannibalX
10-27-2009, 03:11 PM
Just to add, Ive never had problems with any other games since i got my HD4870, so it leads me to believe that its a software problem. Nevertheless, I opened up the side of my computer and put a desk fan going full bore onto my card, and now I am only having intermittent troubles.

dysphunktion
10-27-2009, 03:59 PM
I'm having the same issue.
Albeit with an Nvidia card.
I'll pay for anywhere from 10-30 minutes, screen goes black but I can still hear everything. If I ctrl alt del it'll eventually come back but not before telling me my Nvidia card has suffered an error.

I'm only posting this because it is way to similar to be specific to ATI. As all the same symptoms are happening to me as well.

Vista Premium 32bit.
AMD X2 6000
Nvidia 8800GT
2G Geil

trusteft
10-27-2009, 04:04 PM
If you have ATI card, go to the CCC and set the fan to manual to at least 55%
The auto fan sucks big time and in a demanding game will let the gpu overheat and try only at the last moment to fix things, some times in time, some not so much and it will crash either the game or the system.
See the auto fan doesn't go more than 27-33% no matter what, unless the card reaches like 90C or something when the higher speeds kicks in, which IMO is a bit late.
What I do is have it at auto or manual at 33% when I am not doing any gaming, and when I game I set it to 55% or 65% if it is a very demanding game (just in case), like Crysis or whatever.

pdcrowley
10-27-2009, 04:35 PM
4870x2 with latest 9.10. I have manual fan control on 75%. The card gets up to 105 degrees after 5 minutes of gameplay and starts to artifact.

the manual fan control is not the problem - others have tried the same

pdcrowley
10-27-2009, 04:39 PM
Another update - I set all settings to low and turned off every option I could. I kept resolution at 1980x1200 - same problem. Tried it at 1600x1200 - same problem. No matter what setting i pick, it still reaches 105.

I went and played Crysis Warhead maxed out immediately afterwords and watched the temp go back DOWN to 78 as I played! This card does not get along with this game for me at all

dred79
10-27-2009, 04:44 PM
Guys i did some more research on the crashing and most of the fixes i see are people turning up there fans speeds or avoiding 90c temps. While i know a lot of you said you have tried everything. Has anyone here tried taking the heatsink off and putting on new compound?

It just seems like to me everyone who having issues is getting there cards to certain temps thresholds and the card gets unstable. Even tho we have the same card maybe your card is more sensitive to heat than mine. I still think if you have the means to cool it better you should do it. Take the heatsink off replace compound. I have yet to see anyone say i still have the problem and i got my videocard running at 60c load.

I want to help you guys but i haven't seen anyone say hey i tried what you suggested and still no go. everyone thinks i am crazy and it has to be software.. i dunno i am not conviced its software. =P

Kr4zyK0w
10-27-2009, 04:55 PM
I want to help you guys but i haven't seen anyone say hey i tried what you suggested and still no go. everyone thinks i am crazy and it has to be software.. i dunno i am not conviced its software. =P

I'm seeing the crash detailed in the thread (I have R4890x2 - brand new, I bought the cards a week ago), and I've run the game while watching the GPU temperatures (full screen - I have two monitors). The game hard locked for me with a temperature of 80C, well within tolerable ranges (they run this hot for other games). I haven't seen this behavior in any of the other games I've run.

Even if some people on this thread are crashing because of GPU overheating, there's still the question of why their GPUs only overheat while playing borderlands - this indicates a software issue, albeit one that might be causing GPUs to boil.

Musty
10-27-2009, 05:16 PM

Borderlands ATI 4xxx series problem : You play normally for around 20 minutes or so, before the game suddenly freeze, screen goes black, and a message box from the CCC pops ups telling you that VPU Recover has reset your driver due to it having stopped responding.

I have a Radeon 4890 HD.

Anyone else have this problem here? Know any quick fixes or do I have to wait for a patch? Ive already updated my drivers but it didn't help.

I have 4890, but game hasn't crashed yet, or any game for that matter. Good card.

dred79
10-27-2009, 05:16 PM
so you got the vpu recover error or was it a hard lock and the whole system froze? Are you using windows 7? fresh install of windows?

have you tried running only one card? does it still freeze?

If your temps are good and you have a fresh copy of windows with drivers and every other game works. Then ya i would usually think a game patch would fix the problem. The whole situation is strange to me cause i have the same card as most of the people in this thread. I even built 4 of my friends computers recently 2 with 4870x2 and another two with 5870 video card. i played a 5 hour gaming session with them yesterday no issues we are all using windows 7 64 bit. All them are using aircooling with Antec 300/900 cases. And i am watercooling.

To me with those kind of statistics i would think you guys have defective cards.. cause assuming were all using the same software. what else could it be?

dred79
10-27-2009, 05:21 PM
Just to add, Ive never had problems with any other games since i got my HD4870, so it leads me to believe that its a software problem. Nevertheless, I opened up the side of my computer and put a desk fan going full bore onto my card, and now I am only having intermittent troubles.

what do you mean intermitent troubles? your saying that it helped a little? or that you still have all the problems?

Vasives
10-27-2009, 05:38 PM
so defective.... but only with borderlands.... software problem....

Just to let you know, im currently dual booting Windows Vista x64 and Windows 7 x64. Game works in Vista does not work in 7 I really think its a software problem.

Kr4zyK0w
10-27-2009, 05:44 PM
so you got the vpu recover error or was it a hard lock and the whole system froze? Are you using windows 7? fresh install of windows?

have you tried running only one card? does it still freeze?

It was a hard lock, on a clean install of windows 7 home premium 64bit (reformatted the drive). It still locked when I tried running with only one card (though this failure mode seems to be more common in SLI rigs).

If your temps are good and you have a fresh copy of windows with drivers and every other game works. Then ya i would usually think a game patch would fix the problem.

Yea, this is exactly my situation. This is the only game that's exhibited this kind failure (or any failure, none of my other games have crashed since the clean install of windows 7).

To me with those kind of statistics i would think you guys have defective cards.. cause assuming were all using the same software. what else could it be?

I admit, this whole situation is a bit of a head scratcher. It's hard for me conclude a hardware failure given my comp's track record in other games (this seems to be a problem unique to borderlands for the other posters here too). Worth noting that even the same OS will have different drivers etc. depending on the exact hardware configurations (there was another crash detailed on the borderland forums that seems to have been caused by a particular kind of sound card).

dysphunktion
10-27-2009, 06:05 PM
Confirmed with my 8800GT. I cranked the fan to max and no more crashing.

See my post on previous page to understand why I'm mentioning this with an Nvidia card.

Edit: Also worked on my brothers 4890HD

dred79
10-27-2009, 06:17 PM
Well i gotta take off now. But hope you guys keep trying. Something like this would make me tinker with the computer all day till i figure it out.. i would probably be doing everything possible to keep the temps down as much as possible. Thats the only thing i seen in this thread that makes sense. The lower the temps the less likely it is to crash.

I understand you guys perspective on the other games work fine only borderlands causes it so it must be software, but since i got 5 computers i just built with no issue all fresh installs of windows 7. if it was software i should be experiencing the same problem and none of us are.

Hope you guys figure it out soon.

pdcrowley
10-27-2009, 07:56 PM
Dred - I gotta give you credit for the clogged heatsink on my card. I usually blast around air in the cooler but took your advice and took it apart. There was clogged dirt in the heatsinks BLOCKING the airflow.

My temps are a good 40 degrees cooler now. So I appreciate your help on that one.

However, the drivers are not optimized for this game. I get the notorius screen shutter/chop that I got the first day with Bioshock. Game is very playable now but I still hope to see some driver fixes.

private_part
10-27-2009, 09:08 PM
i too having the same problem with my 1gb 4870hd video card. i tried setting the fan speed to 75% and it's still no go. :mad: should've bought the console version.

AtomicPenguin
10-27-2009, 09:18 PM
Well i gotta take off now. But hope you guys keep trying. Something like this would make me tinker with the computer all day till i figure it out.. i would probably be doing everything possible to keep the temps down as much as possible. Thats the only thing i seen in this thread that makes sense. The lower the temps the less likely it is to crash.

It's not a temperature issue. It's possible that some people are having temp related problems, obviously, but the blank screen hard lock problem after playing a short period of time isn't exclusively temp related.

I have this problem on my system at home, it crashes after 10-20 minutes of play time and just hard locks and a blank screen. I've got a 4870 1gb card, running the newest drivers on it (had the same problem on a driver rev 1 step before this too).

Gigabye EX58-UD3R
I7 920, default clock speed
6gb Corsair DDR3-2100
HD4870 1gb video card

The temp on my card never breaks 70-75 degrees, nothing out of line for a 4870 at all and not hot enough to trigger a reset. It's a clean computer; I just built it the first week of June. Has a fairly fresh install of Windows 7 on it, there's nothing really odd installed... just a few other games and Steam.

I did try the fan speed thing, tried it windowed, updated drivers to recent for everything from the motherboard and sound card to the video drivers. Nothing overclocked at all, system is rock solid stable in every single other app I've ever run. Even Borderlands runs perfectly up until the freeze; there's no artifacting or performance issues that would indicate another issue, it just crashes hard with no error message.

I used the .ini files to enable vsync, disabled mouse smoothing. Tried it with the -dx9 switch and with -windowed, but not sure the -dx9 even did anything and it still had the same problem windowed.

It almost seems like something with the physics engine. Has anyone tried setting the Physx tag to False in the .ini file to see if it helps? I'll give it a shot when I get home if I can, but running out of other things to try rather than just waiting for an update.

private_part
10-27-2009, 09:29 PM
gearbox software sucks. this is the last time i pre-order a beta game from gearbox software. how difficult is it to qa a game with different hardware setup?!?! :o

RoarofRages
10-27-2009, 09:40 PM
I have an ATI 4870 and i am running it on Win7 64 bit. I am doing fine except for the random freaking out geometry -_-

j3sus
10-27-2009, 09:47 PM
i fixed my problem, ati is just crap at producing cel shaded graphics, so i just had take off dynamic shadows and run at a low resolution and i havent crashed since :D

Kr4zyK0w
10-27-2009, 10:34 PM
I've disabled dynamic shadows, and that seems to help a lot (i.e. i've actually gotten to play the game for 20 minutes without crashing). Also, dynamic shadows have a GIGANTIC performance hit on my box. With them on, i was running 30-50 fps in town (and hitting GPU temp of 85C+), when they're off I'm running a constant 60fps and temp of 75ish. I have a good rig, there's no way it should be that slow (and HOT) short of a bug.

invisiblejesus
10-27-2009, 11:03 PM
I had this problem earlier, cranked my fan up to 70% (60% didn't cut it) and set DisableATITextureFilterOptimizationChecks in the WillowEngine.ini to True. No crashes, had a nice long evening hosting 4 player. I just set the texture filter thing back to False, as I read in a UT3 tweak guide that it's just a troubleshooting thing and shouldn't ordinarily be enabled; I'll tool around some more tomorrow and see if the problem's still solved (in which case the fan fixed it) or if it crops up again (in which case changing that config setting might fix it).

private_part
10-28-2009, 01:14 AM
I had this problem earlier, cranked my fan up to 70% (60% didn't cut it) and set DisableATITextureFilterOptimizationChecks in the WillowEngine.ini to True. No crashes, had a nice long evening hosting 4 player. I just set the texture filter thing back to False, as I read in a UT3 tweak guide that it's just a troubleshooting thing and shouldn't ordinarily be enabled; I'll tool around some more tomorrow and see if the problem's still solved (in which case the fan fixed it) or if it crops up again (in which case changing that config setting might fix it).

I tried:
DisableATITextureFilterOptimizationChecks=Ture

- got the black screen after loading a save.

DisableATITextureFilterOptimizationChecks=False

- got general protection error after loading a save.

AtomicPenguin
10-28-2009, 01:54 AM
/edit:

Scratch that, had the same crash this morning in multiplayer.

latxnemesis
10-28-2009, 02:34 AM
Listen, I've had tons of VPU Recovery errors in the time I've had my 4870X2.

I launched Borderlands yesterday, and after 5 minutes, It crashes and gave me a VPU Recovery.

Now, the two things that generally cause this problem is:
A bad overclock (overclocking CPU, RAM, etc has a BIG indicator on this problem)
You're card is exhausted! Max fan speed, clock it down if you clocked it, and stay low on the video settings.

Either way, I had my Q6600 clocked to 3.6 GHz, my ram to 1066MHz and very good timing, I got told that I could clock down to 3.2 GHz, and so I did. And it worked perfectly - haven't had ONE single crash since.

Either way, I might be wrong. But if you had clocked your computer, clock it down a little.
If not, you might have a exhausted video card, it may be on the verge to break sooner or later.
Try downloading the newest drivers, also AF and pixle settings also makes VPU recovery come a lot more.

Sorry for the English, and I might be wrong on a lot of things - but this is my experience after having a ♥♥♥♥ed up 4870x2 for a long time.

dred79
10-28-2009, 02:41 AM
Dred - I gotta give you credit for the clogged heatsink on my card. I usually blast around air in the cooler but took your advice and took it apart. There was clogged dirt in the heatsinks BLOCKING the airflow.

My temps are a good 40 degrees cooler now. So I appreciate your help on that one.

However, the drivers are not optimized for this game. I get the notorius screen shutter/chop that I got the first day with Bioshock. Game is very playable now but I still hope to see some driver fixes.

Nice! I knew someone out there had to have this problem but wasn't aware of it.. Glad that at least helped make the game more playable for you. Like i said my friend had exact same issue and took us a day or two to figure itout. he took the heatsink off twice but never took the shroud off replaced compound everything he still got outragious temps.. finally he took the shroud off and was like " LOL are you ♥♥♥♥ing kidding me?!?! " Cleaned up his giant dust ball and boom solved all his issues.

Again this really only applies to people who have been running there video card for 6 months or so. Brand new cards ( as long as they really are brand new and not used) should not have this issue.

Check the borderlands forums they had a good sticky for tweaking the game making look better and run better. maybe if you turned on v-sync that might help the screen tearing your getting. if not vsync i know someone mentioned that games using the UE3 engine you can change some setting to something slightly below your refresh rate which defaults at 62 and you can change it to 58 or something and smooths out the jitter and stuff. Here is the direct link to the tweak thread.

http://gbxforums.gearboxsoftware.com/showthread.php?t=79043

I still think since most people with radeon cards are not having problems with the game. ( i know 5 of my friends running default settings without issues) that chalking it up to the drivers or the game doesn't make sense.. i mean come on. its using the unreal engine its a proven graphics engine. games like batman arkym asylum and UT3 all run fine with radeon cards. Why would borderlands be singled out? not to mention we know lots of people are running it fine in the forums. I still think checking the cooling your bios settings maybe the firmware on the video card are good places to look into and hopefully solve the problem.

I still

pdcrowley
10-28-2009, 08:36 AM
Yeah I've been using that thread. Turning off Dynamic shadows has seemed to get rid of my problem. Makes it much more smooth.

invisiblejesus
10-28-2009, 10:07 AM
I still think since most people with radeon cards are not having problems with the game. ( i know 5 of my friends running default settings without issues) that chalking it up to the drivers or the game doesn't make sense.. i mean come on. its using the unreal engine its a proven graphics engine. games like batman arkym asylum and UT3 all run fine with radeon cards. Why would borderlands be singled out? not to mention we know lots of people are running it fine in the forums. I still think checking the cooling your bios settings maybe the firmware on the video card are good places to look into and hopefully solve the problem.

Well, as I'm able to run both UT3 and Bioshock flawlessly I don't think Borderlands being on the UE3 engine gets it off the hook. And besides, I didn't have this problem when I was running the Catalyst 9.11 beta drivers, only after I switched to the 9.10 official set. There is clearly some difference between it and other UE3 games that is causing problems for some users, or at very least contributing to existing ones.

invisiblejesus
10-28-2009, 10:20 AM
I tried:
DisableATITextureFilterOptimizationChecks=Ture

- got the black screen after loading a save.

DisableATITextureFilterOptimizationChecks=False

- got general protection error after loading a save.

Sounds like a different problem, since you weren't able to load a save at all. Here's a thread about the general protection error over on the Gearbox boards, maybe it'll help. (http://gbxforums.gearboxsoftware.com/showthread.php?t=79328) The OP says updating his PhysX software fixed the problem, and I know mine is up to date even though I don't have an Nvidia card. So maybe that'll help you.

KillerMunch
10-28-2009, 10:44 AM
So i installed the lastest driver yesterday and the game ran for a few hours. Then today it would get the black screen crash again with the sound playing. I uninstalled and reinstalled the driver again and now it seems fine. I feel like this issue is hit or miss. Sometimes the game works flawless, other times no go.

Kr4zyK0w
10-28-2009, 12:26 PM
Turning down dynamic shadows only seems to have lessened the problem. Last night I was able to play from 20 to 45 minutes before a hard lock.

A couple questions:

1. Has anyone besides invisiblejesus tried the beta 9.11 drivers? Did it help at all?

2. Who here has duel monitors? (I do) I saw some speculation that duel monitors interacted poorly with borderlands and that disabling one of the monitors while playing seemed to help (though I haven't verified this myself and it's not clear the person suggesting the fix was experiencing the same failure mode, i.e. hard locks).

HannibalX
10-28-2009, 12:44 PM
what do you mean intermitent troubles? your saying that it helped a little? or that you still have all the problems?

Well every once in a while my card still resets, but not until after a few hours of play. I noticed that If I open alot of boxes and lockers, it causes the card to reset so I stopped that. But it has reset when im just driving along too. Right now I have set my fan speed a little higher manually, but I don't think its going to help to much because to be honest my card hasn't been getting all that hot.

EDIT:
also does anyone know a program I can run and watch while in game that will allow me to see my video card temps? I actually am not sure how hot my card is getting.

dred79
10-28-2009, 12:55 PM
So both you guys are still sitting in the low 70c temperature when running borderlands? when you say it resets like the whole computer reset or you just get a vpu recover reset error?

Kr4zyK0w
10-28-2009, 01:05 PM
also does anyone know a program I can run and watch while in game that will allow me to see my video card temps? I actually am not sure how hot my card is getting.

You can run Catalyst Control Center to see the GPU temp.

JC_Denton
10-28-2009, 01:38 PM
Not sure if it has been said earlier but... you have to have ambient occlusion OFF. I was having the same problem with my brand new install of win7 x64 with a new 5870, turned off ambient occlusion because I remembered reading that ATI cards = no go with is on and I just got finished playing for 5 hours straight with no problems.

Kr4zyK0w
10-28-2009, 01:47 PM
@HannibalX

Be aware that, the range of normal GPU temperatures for Radeon 48XX cards varies greatly by make and model (some run at < 80, while others are > 90).

For example:

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2009/03/24/msi_r4870_md1g_video_card_evaluation/11

@dred79 (no sure if you were addressing me, i'll throw in my 2 cents anyway)

My GPUs are running at around 85C while playing borderlands (this is a typical game-playing temperature for my cards). The game hard-locks (no error message, the screen freezes for a few seconds then goes gray - strangely, my other monitor turns brown?!?), and the computer is unresponsive - requiring a hardware reboot (i.e. i need to hit the reset button on my case, nothing else works)

Again, my cards are brand new (less than 2 weeks old), there's no visual artifacting prior to crashing (which is what I would expect if the cards were overheating), I'm running a brand new (clean) install of Windows 7 64 bit, and this only happens in borderlands. All my other games are running flawlessly.

JC_Denton
10-28-2009, 01:50 PM
I'm telling you, ambient occlusion... or don't read what I say lol.

pdcrowley
10-28-2009, 02:25 PM
where is that option in CCC?

dred79
10-28-2009, 02:28 PM
Krazy what motherboard are you using? I know when you have to run crossfire you have setup the pci-e speeds. So are yours set to 16x one slot 8x the other? or 16x both slots? Some motherboards have jumpers for this maybe you can try checking what they are and see if something needs to be changed?

I hate recommending this cause you have to be careful when you do it. But maybe flashing the bios on your motherboard would help? I have had to do this on my friends Phenom II to support his CPU maybe with the 4890 crossfire it needs an update to stop hard locking? Find out how old your bios is.. if its really old like a year or more i would go for it. Just be extremely careful when you do it.. I usually quadriple check that the bios file is correct. ( I learned a my lesson a long time ago)

Can't think of anything else outside what has probably already been said. latest drivers, maybe a firmware update for the videocard (tho you almost never have to do this) can't think of anything else.

trusteft
10-28-2009, 02:30 PM
JC_Denton I don't think anyone reads your post but me lol.

Beakerz
10-28-2009, 02:33 PM

This - mine was had artifacts (a lot of them) on the opening movies until I turned this off, then I turned off the movies and its definitely all good now xD

lyravega
10-28-2009, 02:48 PM

I have a Radeon 4890 HD.

Hannibal, I have 2x 4890. Whenever game freezes, there's no coming back for me, on crossfire, I was never able to get back from a freeze, VPU Recover always fails (at least for me)

I have similar problems also on Empire: Total War and Champions Online. I think it's dynamic shadows, but I refuse to turn it off. Everything is so "shiney" when that's off.

Kr4zyK0w
10-28-2009, 02:59 PM
dred, I'm using a MSI X58 Pro-E Motherboard:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5019765&csid=ITD&body=MAIN#detailspecs

It doesn't have any 8x slots, so I don't think that can be the problem. I believe the motherboard has only been on the market since june (at least, that's when the first reviews are showing up on newegg), so I doubt the bios is out of date (though I'll check when I get home).

I've been running crossfire with no issues in other games, and BL still hard locks, even when crossfire is disabled.

There's a bunch of people on this thread that have definitely been victims of card overheating, unfortunately there's a bunch of us that don't seem to fall into that category :(

Vasives
10-28-2009, 03:35 PM
update your drivers to the 9.11 betas
Ive been playing at max settings with a 4870x2 for almost an hour now, no crash, the thing i noticed. my card isnt running at nearly 99% constantly and the temps are about 10 to 20c cooler.

AtomicPenguin
10-28-2009, 03:43 PM

I read it, I'm 99% sure I tried that already and still have the problem. I'll double check it tonight to be sure, though.

dred79
10-28-2009, 05:31 PM
Well i tried doing a little research on your crossfire setup Krazy. I have read a few people that have the exact same issue as you but there seemed to be no resolution in the thread but i have found some issues very similar to yours and the things that were suggested were to check dxdiag make sure everything looks and read properly in it.

Also one person had some crashing and artifacts when playing games tho it was effecting most of his games the problem he had was bad memory. replaced the memory everything is working fine.

I know checking some of these things are like a shot in the dark but at this point what have you got to lose? you just have to cross your t and dot the i and check anything that may cause.

I might suggest playing borderlands with one stick of memory or maybe when you have time just boot off a CD and run memtest on your computer for a an hour or two make sure it passes all tests. no need to run the test when wanting to use the pc tho i probably run memtest when i go to sleep then when i wake up see the results.

you may even try upping the voltage on the memory? i have heard of some motherboards detecting the memeory at the wrong voltage and could possibly be overvolting or undervolting it. Again just more ideas if you feel like trying them.

I think i am targeting your computer stability cause if it was perfectly stable why would it hard lock the whole machine. Knowing that i have a fresh install of windows 7 with latest drivers and you have the same but yours is hard locking? speaks hardware or bios settings to me. =P

Kr4zyK0w
10-28-2009, 06:01 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions dred!

I'm going to try running the 9.11 beta drivers (seems to have helped some people), and failing that I'll start going through the more invasive tests you're recommending.

Fingers crossed...

U_T
10-28-2009, 06:03 PM
4870x2 and no problems here

car 9.10

AtomicPenguin
10-28-2009, 09:43 PM
4870x2 and no problems here

car 9.10

It's not a Radeon or 48xx issue.

http://gbxforums.gearboxsoftware.com/showthread.php?t=80267

Guy reporting the same exact crashes there is running an 8600GTS.

invisiblejesus
10-28-2009, 10:58 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions dred!

I'm going to try running the 9.11 beta drivers (seems to have helped some people), and failing that I'll start going through the more invasive tests you're recommending.

Fingers crossed...

I didn't crash when using the 9.11 drivers, but I did get weird grey/black textures in the floors and walls of shops. And performance seemed to be worse, though I didn't do a serious parsing of it, just watched my framerates and guesstimated. Go ahead and try them though, maybe they'll work better for you than they did for me. Worst that can happen is you switch back.

Big O
10-28-2009, 11:06 PM
I have a Radeon 4890 and could only play for about 2 min to 3 min before it would hang with a black screen or crash to the desktop.

I went in C:\Users\Nick\Documents\My Games\Borderlands\WillowGame\Config and edited WillowEngine.ini to turn VSync on usevsync=true

I changed UseVsync=false to UseVsync=true
I also changed:
Motionblur=true
bloom=true
lensflare=true
allowd3d10=true
Radeon 4890

the only thing I had set different was 'allowd3d10', which did not fix this problem for me, I've tried turning off dynamic shadows as well, so far no good.

4850 with windows7 home premium x64 here

Kr4zyK0w
10-28-2009, 11:31 PM
I didn't crash when using the 9.11 drivers, but I did get weird grey/black textures in the floors and walls of shops. And performance seemed to be worse, though I didn't do a serious parsing of it, just watched my framerates and guesstimated. Go ahead and try them though, maybe they'll work better for you than they did for me. Worst that can happen is you switch back.

I just tried the 9.11 drivers, and I saw the same grey texture glitch in the shops, and I was getting hopeful when I was able to play for around 30 minutes with no crash. Unfortunately the hard lock crash persists, even with the 9.11 drivers. Damn.

Big O
10-28-2009, 11:41 PM
Not sure if it has been said earlier but... you have to have ambient occlusion OFF. I was having the same problem with my brand new install of win7 x64 with a new 5870, turned off ambient occlusion because I remembered reading that ATI cards = no go with is on and I just got finished playing for 5 hours straight with no problems.

this helped, instead of stuttering for 10-20 seconds every 2-3 minutes, it happens every 5-10 minutes. still can't enjoy this game

tried the 9.11 drivers, problem persists, and now i have missing textures too great

4850, win7 x64 here

dred79
10-29-2009, 12:08 PM
Any update Krazy?

So the more i think about the thread the more i think you have hardware/bios issues. =P We know the following.

1. i have built 5 computers all within the last 4 weeks all use radeon cards all with fresh install of windows 7 and latest drivers and borderlands runs flawlessly not a single crash and not a single tweak in the drivers or ini of borderlands. Not mention countless people chiming in forums without any issues.

2. That many of you in this thread with problems have already done a fresh install of windows latest drivers and installed the game but the game crashes or gives you problems. knowing #1 this is why it is not a software issue.

3. When dealing with the unexplainable such as this game being the only one crashing etc. All you can do is check every possibility. This means testing everything hardware wise that can confirm what is good and what is not.

So in your guys shoes i would be doing the following

1. check your motherboard for bios updates read the notes maybe something pertains to your issues with the video card your using. Either way if your comfortable and triple check you have the correct bios file go ahead and update it and make sure you clear cmos or reset the defaults.

2. check your bios settings. Lots of new motherboards lately have detected memory at the wrong voltage undervolting or overvolting. Check the specs on your memory make sure the voltage and timings are correct. Maybe even loosen the timings for more stability. Check every option in the bios find out what it does. Some motherboards add in options that can cause issues like this.

Perfect example If anyone of you buy a DFI amd motherboard 790FX for example. windows 7 64bit will fail to boot unless you enable ACPI XDST table in your power management settings.. ( I know stumped me for 2 hours.. fricken dumb setting) now it works great tho.

3. check your cooling on cpu and memory and motherboard. Make sure nothing is overheating. If you want to make sure system real cool quickly open the sidepanel stick a desk fan up to and cool see if it increased stability. Also its very common in high end radeon cards that have been running for 6 months to get some nasty dust and dirt in the fan that cannot be removed unless you take the fan shroud off and clean it out.

4. run stability programs on your computer. memtest and prime95 are staple programs for stressing the computer and making sure nothing is wrong. for hard lock ups i would suspect memory. try running with one stick or run memtest all night make sure it has done 1 or 2 passes with no errors.

5. Well if i think of anything else i will add it here. if you have an old video card like an 8800GT laying around cause you upgraded to that new radeon card but its unstable try the old card see if its stable if not its definently not he video card fault.

If you have done all this and still problems.. then i dunno.. bad videocard?!? hope this helps.

berserkhobo
10-29-2009, 12:30 PM
hey i run two 4870x2's and i have been crashing since late last night however i have fixed my situation i opened ccc and whatched my heat on both my cards they both skyrocketed in 20 mins past the limit then crash so until theres a patch or something you will manually have to adjust your fans to play the game hope this works for you guys

Cheers

dred79
10-29-2009, 12:46 PM
hey i run two 4870x2's and i have been crashing since late last night however i have fixed my situation i opened ccc and whatched my heat on both my cards they both skyrocketed in 20 mins past the limit then crash so until theres a patch or something you will manually have to adjust your fans to play the game hope this works for you guys

Cheers

check #3 in my post above. If you had your card for 6 months or so it will accumulate some dust that cannot be removed with an air can. You have to remove the shroud off the heatsink/fan and clean out the dirt. My friend as well as someone else in this thread did just that and there temps dropped 40c. both have 4870x2 i believe.

trust me probably worth a look.

HannibalX
10-29-2009, 12:49 PM
Any update Krazy?

So the more i think about the thread the more i think you have hardware/bios issues. =P We know the following.

1. i have built 5 computers all within the last 4 weeks all use radeon cards all with fresh install of windows 7 and latest drivers and borderlands runs flawlessly not a single crash and not a single tweak in the drivers or ini of borderlands. Not mention countless people chiming in forums without any issues.

2. That many of you in this thread with problems have already done a fresh install of windows latest drivers and installed the game but the game crashes or gives you problems. knowing #1 this is why it is not a software issue.

3. When dealing with the unexplainable such as this game being the only one crashing etc. All you can do is check every possibility. This means testing everything hardware wise that can confirm what is good and what is not.

So in your guys shoes i would be doing the following

1. check your motherboard for bios updates read the notes maybe something pertains to your issues with the video card your using. Either way if your comfortable and triple check you have the correct bios file go ahead and update it and make sure you clear cmos or reset the defaults.

2. check your bios settings. Lots of new motherboards lately have detected memory at the wrong voltage undervolting or overvolting. Check the specs on your memory make sure the voltage and timings are correct. Maybe even loosen the timings for more stability. Check every option in the bios find out what it does. Some motherboards add in options that can cause issues like this.

Perfect example If anyone of you buy a DFI amd motherboard 790FX for example. windows 7 64bit will fail to boot unless you enable ACPI XDST table in your power management settings.. ( I know stumped me for 2 hours.. fricken dumb setting) now it works great tho.

3. check your cooling on cpu and memory and motherboard. Make sure nothing is overheating. If you want to make sure system real cool quickly open the sidepanel stick a desk fan up to and cool see if it increased stability. Also its very common in high end radeon cards that have been running for 6 months to get some nasty dust and dirt in the fan that cannot be removed unless you take the fan shroud off and clean it out.

4. run stability programs on your computer. memtest and prime95 are staple programs for stressing the computer and making sure nothing is wrong. for hard lock ups i would suspect memory. try running with one stick or run memtest all night make sure it has done 1 or 2 passes with no errors.

5. Well if i think of anything else i will add it here. if you have an old video card like an 8800GT laying around cause you upgraded to that new radeon card but its unstable try the old card see if its stable if not its definently not he video card fault.

If you have done all this and still problems.. then i dunno.. bad videocard?!? hope this helps.

The problem is that I have done everything you can think of and I still have the problem. The game just doesn't like my unique hardware setup and causes the reset glitch. I have found that it resets on command when I open tall lockers so as long as I dont do that I can play for a long time now. Im not going to go get a new card or buy windows 7 just to play this one buggy game. My card doesn't overheat and I have never had any other problems with any other game. Many other people are having similar problems so I know im not alone in my struggle. There isn't much we can do until they release a patch, but I think things will be good once that happens.

dred79
10-29-2009, 12:54 PM
No i agree if your computer is not hard locking or crashing and its just a VPU recover error then its more likely its software. Its very easy for me to backup my computer. I just create an image of my small 40gb c drive and copy it to my D drive. Then wipe C drive and reinstall windows and see if the problem goes away.

I know thats not easy for everyone especially if you are under time contraints and have software that irreplacable. but if it were me i would. Having something like that so intermitent and random would just drive me nuts and would have to get to the bottom of it. Worst thing you could do is wait for a patch and find out you still have the problem and blame the game for a bad patch and then find out after finally formating the computer and starting over it works perfectly.

you won't know till you try.

Vasives
10-29-2009, 02:31 PM
ive read several posts of people doing fresh installs of their entire systems and still getting the problem

Well i thought i was getting the same problem again, as i noticed my GPU working at 99% again, and so i turned off ambient occlusion and Anistrophic Filtering and they went down to 70% and bout 70c from 90c

dred79
10-29-2009, 02:52 PM
see i don't know what the max temp threshhold for ATI cards are but all your doing is lowering your temp to make the game stable. that should tell you something.. you need better cooling.. or maybe that dirt inside the fan shroud is causing it.

When you say i turned off a 3d setting so the game will run better. oh btw the temps dropped 20c but its stable. there is something wrong there.

Vasives
10-29-2009, 03:00 PM
Ive hit 100c before without hardlock, one time my drivers were messing up and the fan wasnt running properly and i hit 106c and i got some artifacts but no hard lockup, the i highest ive seen this game is about 94 and it really hasnt been the temps that i see being the problem as ive seen it lock up in the mid 80s

lyravega
10-29-2009, 03:01 PM
I turned CF off and no more BSODs for me. And weird thing is, I felt like, CF reduces the performance on this game... Have no idea, needs extensive testing anyway.

edit: My VPU recovery always fails. So it's a BSOD for me when games freeze.

lyravega
10-29-2009, 03:07 PM
I turned CF off and no more BSODs for me. And weird thing is, I felt like, CF reduces the performance on this game... Have no idea, needs extensive testing anyway.

edit: My VPU recovery always fails. So it's a BSOD for me when games freeze.

Guys, that error has multiple reasons. It could be overheat, it could be driver problems, it could be hardware problems... On my old PC, I was getting that error like every 5 mins, I changed Ganged mode to Unganged, and it was stable, I mean better than before. Then I changed DDR2-1066 to DDR2-800, error nearly got vanished. And now I have a new PC, and CF causes problems on some games, especially with some visual effects. In same areas I mean.

And about cooling, many people don't get how your cooling, how your case is, but get a good one with enough intake/exhaust fans/fan slots. Put as many fans as you can. On my old case, EVEN I underclocked my cards, they were running at 90-100 degrees. And they don't have stock coolers on them, so imagine how it was. Now changed the case with Thermaltake Spedo Advance, and degrees are max 50 with overclock. Ambient temp is 22.

dred79
10-29-2009, 03:10 PM
Well every game stresses a card differently. Is this the first unreal engine game to use cel shader? Either way you shouldn't be afraid of 99% gpu usage. When i get home i will find out what my gpu usage is when in game.

the fact is by turning off that 3d setting you have lowered temps by a lot. you think thats just coincidence? again i keep refering to all of us have the same drivers the same card mostly the same operating system (i know not all but many) and game runs great.

yet you want to assume you you have some wacky drivers or game thats unstable when so many of us are stable? again i refer back to my long post from last page that i rather go through all those steps and verify everything than sit around waiting for something that might never come.

lyravega
10-29-2009, 03:19 PM
Constant 99% usage is something to avoid if you ask me. Try GPU-Z to monitor the temps. Log a file. Because if you're using CCC to monitor temps, when you alt-tab temps suddenly go down, meaning, it's inefficient to monitor while you're playing a game. And the only thing stresses a card at 99% is Furmark I think, a benchmark, and most of the benchmarkers REALLY don't recommend that, they coined a term for Furmark - something like burn test if I remember correct.

Vasives
10-29-2009, 03:24 PM
i just did a quick test with everything enabled played for about 10min, temp maxed out at about 85c, the cores were fluxuating a lot, some times one would go 100% then 70% 30%. but no lockups. ill do a longer test later.

Also i have yet to crash with the 9.11 betas, i know not everyone is having success. but this is proof that it very well could be a software problem.

Just ran a test with Far Cry 2, Cores never went about 80% usually around 60% temps stayed about mid 70s. and the cores were not jumping around wildly like in Borderlands.

I am using Riva Tuner to monitor my card, with a G15 keyboard using the LCD screen to check the status of the card so i am not alt tabing to check the status.

berserkhobo
10-29-2009, 03:27 PM
i run one of my cards with stock and the other 3rd party cooling anyways i maintain my machine weeekly. what fixed me was upping my fan speed in the stocked cooling card and viola can run countless hours on end and no crashes no nothing

dred79
10-29-2009, 03:32 PM
how long have you had the card vasives? you do know that earlier in this thread pdcrowely was saying every other game works but borderlands keeps crashing and he thought it was software too. i kept bring up the cooling thing and we debated how it shouldn't be a big deal etc all other games work blah blah. i told him how the fans when run for a very long time (6 months or so) get lots of dirt stuck in the fan shroud and simple air can can't clean it out. Sure enough he took the fan shroud off tons of dirt. cleaned it out and now he has a 40c improvement! he said the game is not crashing tho he complained of some tearing or something but that could have been vsync or something

Anyway while i don't doubt your right about the drivers helping you. I am using older drivers with pretty much same setup as you.. and not a single issue. 5 hours hour gaming session with my buddies who also have the same graphics card as me.

There has got to be something different between our computers and it must be hardware. Its not like we downloaded the drivers from two different locations.. we have the exact same software. so what could it be?

invisiblejesus
10-29-2009, 03:45 PM
I am using older drivers with pretty much same setup as you.. and not a single issue.

Exactly which driver set are you using?

dred79
10-29-2009, 03:52 PM
just the 9.10 not using any betas

Vasives
10-29-2009, 06:04 PM
I have the Asus Tri-Fan edition 4870x2, bought it in May and have recently used an air can on it. I just got done playing over an hour with max settings. Temps stayed around 82c. only thing that bothers me is the rapid changing of usage % of the two cores. one thing that i thought could be causing the problem is because they were running at 99% in 9.10 that it was eating up too much power and my 750 PSU couldnt handle it. but im not sure.

dred79
10-29-2009, 06:23 PM
if it its a 750w single rail like a corsair that should be more than enough. you have a 4890 or 4870x2? about to head home now let you know on my gpu usage. GPU usage should not be an issue at all. the card is meant to be used to its fullest potential The only issue i see is that if it were stuck at 100% usage the temps would peak and get really hot. which seems to relate to people crashing.

all you would have to do is verify the people who are running fine to see if there gpu usage results are the same (which they should be) and then you know the only difference might be the temps were all running at.

If they weren't the same and mine was always at 50% while yours at 100% then yes you would have to find out why yours is getting stuck at such a high perfecentage while everyone elses is not.. but i don't think thats whats happening.

Vasives
10-29-2009, 07:13 PM
disabling crossfire fixed the gray texture issue

trusteft
10-29-2009, 07:22 PM
With a 4870X2, drivers 9.8 without disabling anything, no crashes. I set the fan speed to 70% and the temp didn't go over 74C.

t-zakjeZ
10-30-2009, 04:29 AM
I also got a General Protection Fault after 5-10 minutes of gameplay. Today I set the fan speed at 70% and voila, it worked :D Been playing for 3 straight hours, wonderful.

Baron_Fel
10-30-2009, 04:31 AM
4870x2 with latest 9.10. I have manual fan control on 75%. The card gets up to 105 degrees after 5 minutes of gameplay and starts to artifact. I've been able to play if I turn down all the settings but otherwise it is way too hot. I tried reinstalling the drivers - nothing.

I don't have this problem with TF2, Cysis Warhead, or Bioshock.

Win 7 x64
q6600
8 gb ram
4870x2

turn it back to auto, that way itll throttle up to 100% when it needs to.

Michiko
10-30-2009, 09:02 AM
I also got a General Protection Fault after 5-10 minutes of gameplay. Today I set the fan speed at 70% and voila, it worked :D Been playing for 3 straight hours, wonderful.

I don't think that the fan speed is the issue...But...perhaps?

I never got GPFs until last night and i got one after playing for 10 minutes...after a two hour stint of playing

(left game, then went back in)

Really hope they patch this soon as I've read over 20 pages of tech support regarding GPFs and they seem to happen all over the place...some people get them while playing randomly at random time intervals and some players can't even get their game to load.

Such random crazy crud.

Dohzr
10-30-2009, 09:11 AM
I have a 4870.. everything default.. hasnt crashed on me a single time since release..

BloodBlister340
10-30-2009, 09:50 AM
try updating drivers.. ll i can say is my 4870x2's work fine

trusteft
10-30-2009, 09:56 AM
4870X2 FTW (love the card)

The people that have crash problems (if you have a legal copy/version of the game), what Catalyst version do you have and what fan setting?

As I said earlier 9.8 and 70% (even tried 60% same thing) and no crashes.

herbert spatula
10-30-2009, 10:09 AM
No crashes on my HD4650 yet, but performance is horrible. It's hardly a top of the range card, and I do plan to upgrade it, but even with all my settings on low (or off if available) and the res at 1280x768, I frequently drop below 30FPS. I've got a Q8200 with 4GB of RAM, if you're wondering.

Do I need an upgrade or is this just poor optimization?

trusteft
10-30-2009, 10:11 AM
Do you have a problem with 30sFPS because of the number or because you have gameplay problems with the speed?

This thread better stick to the problems with crashes for owners of the 4xxx series than other problems. :)

herbert spatula
10-30-2009, 10:15 AM
It's mainly gameplay issues, with the occasional grey textures. I'll look around for similar problems

dred79
10-30-2009, 10:21 AM
I have not tried on my spare computer with a 4670 at home. Maybe later the weekend i will try and let you know what the performance is like.

Hate to say it guys but i think the vast majority of people in this thread are dealing hardware problems. I have put in about 15 hours or so of game time not a single crash in the game. rock solid stable. that goes the same for my 4 friends that i built the exact same rig for. i listed all the steps to help resolve or identify the issue on your computer in page 7. I also highly recommend backing up your data and reinstalling windows and do a fresh install to rule out software as the issue.

If it still crashes its hardware related. We all downloaded the game from steam we all downloaded the ATI drivers from ATI website. There is no way this can be software unless your windows is messed which is why i recommend a reinstall to confirm everything is perfect.

3 AMD computers (including mine) with 4870x2 and 2 amd computers with 5870s and all of us have put in over 10 hours and not a single problem with default 9.10 drivers and default settings in borderlands.

Kr4zyK0w
10-30-2009, 12:47 PM
I was away from my computer most of the day yesterday, but I managed to try a few more things (the crashes STILL persist. argg!):

Verified BIOS was up to date (current as of 7/09)
Checked memory settings, everything looks normal
Tried running w/ one monitor (still crashes)
Ran Furmark stability tests (no issues, I'd like to run it longer though, I didnt have much time last night :( )
Ran 3d Mark benchmarks (no issues)
Super-cooled my case (cards aren't breaking 75C - though they ran other games at >85 with no issues)
Played some other games for a while (borderlands is still the only game that's crashed on me)
Tried disabling Crossfire again (still crashes)
Tried disabling Catalyst AI (no help)

I started running memtest this morning, it was ~50% through the first pass when I left - no issues.

Tonight I'm going to try swapping in one of my old nvidia cards - it doesn't seem that nvidia cards are having the same kinds of issues.

A bunch of users on this thread seem to be experiencing overheating errors - try cooling your cards better, it's helped several people!

And an FYI for people on this thread, I've found other threads addressing the same issues, maybe the proposed fixes will help someone here:

http://gbxforums.gearboxsoftware.com/showthread.php?t=78815
http://gbxforums.gearboxsoftware.com/showthread.php?t=80837 (mix of nvidia and ati crashers)
http://gbxforums.gearboxsoftware.com/showthread.php?t=81126
http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=227&threadid=121153

dred79
10-30-2009, 12:54 PM
Well good stuff Krazy. I think memtest is the most interesting one since your hard locking which makes it more likely to relate to memory. Maybe try running with 1 stick of ram sure it might run slower but your computer is super fast game would run fine be curious if it would be more stable.

Also if your computer is hard locking have you tried going into control panel > administrative tools > event viewer and see if when it hard locks there is any log indicating what is causing the crash?

thats all i got for now.

Oh and keep in mind when doing game testing your cards are consistantly crashing at the 30min mark right? so if you run any intensive graphic card tests i would make sure it runs longer than 30 minutes to confirm its stable.

Kr4zyK0w
10-30-2009, 01:34 PM
Oh and keep in mind when doing game testing your cards are consistantly crashing at the 30min mark right? so if you run any intensive graphic card tests i would make sure it runs longer than 30 minutes to confirm its stable.

Well the crash intervals are pretty random, sometimes it'll happen within a couple minutes of starting the game, sometimes it'll take 20+ minutes (just long enough to give me false hope that i've finally fixed it :o)

In any case, my intention is to run the stability tests for 2+ hrs, just to be sure.

joeyshadows
10-30-2009, 02:45 PM
I'm playing on my Radeon 4650 and have had no problems so far. I left the Occlusion thing set to no like JC_Denton said. I'm not sure if it's why, but the game has been running perfect.

Kr4zyK0w
10-30-2009, 07:47 PM
Someone just posted something on the Gearbox forums thread that is most enlightening:

http://gbxforums.gearboxsoftware.com/showpost.php?p=1614807&postcount=81

Summary:

He's seeing the same thing as everyone on the thread, but had the insight to check to see if his computer was still active on the network: it was! However, everything would lock up as soon as he attempting any system command (i.e. ctrl+alt+del) - if he left the crash alone long enough, it would occasionally recover (producing the VPU error message from Catalyst), but mostly it wouldn't (this probably would have been my experience too, but I got too impatient and hit ctrl+alt+del too quickly for the recovery message to pop up)

This rules out hardware failures in everything except the GPU (since the comp is still functioning on the network), and given the specificity of the error it seems really unlikely that everyone would be having a hardware failure which produces _exactly_ the same symptoms.

dred79
10-30-2009, 08:38 PM
well thats really interesting. If all other games and software run fine you wouldn't think such a severe GPU error would cause the whole system to freeze up. I mention the possibility of defective card in my previous posts just didn't seem likely with other games running fine. Krazy you said you had an nvidia card to test laying around.. I would give that shot.. it would confirm your system is stable if the game ran perfectly fine. Then it would just be down to the GPU being defective or a software issue.

My opinion is still on the side of hardware fault tho. Cause if it was software then your basically saying you could take my graphics card out of my amd system put it in yours and you would replicate the error.

I know 2 other friends of mine that have the exact same card as me and it works great. If you know anyone like that and its not too much trouble you could ask them to borrow there card.. or maybe let them try yours in there system.

If they crashed with your card you would then know for fact its a bad card.

Big O
10-30-2009, 08:43 PM
mine usually recovers when I leave it alone long enough, and 9/10 times it stays in the game and I can continue to play where I left off, but within 10 minutes, it would happen again, black screen, audio loop, after a minute it'd be fine again, etc etc

Big O
10-30-2009, 09:51 PM
just tried a few diff versions of catalyst

9.8 = hard locks, requires reboot
9.9, 9.10, 9.11 beta = black screen, audio loop, after a minute it'd be fine, then a few minutes later everything repeats.

9.11 beta causes missing textures

Kr4zyK0w
10-30-2009, 10:52 PM
well thats really interesting. If all other games and software run fine you wouldn't think such a severe GPU error would cause the whole system to freeze up. I mention the possibility of defective card in my previous posts just didn't seem likely with other games running fine. Krazy you said you had an nvidia card to test laying around.. I would give that shot.. it would confirm your system is stable if the game ran perfectly fine. Then it would just be down to the GPU being defective or a software issue.

Yea, I'm going to give it a shot, though the forums make it look like nvidia cards have their own share of issues, maybe i can dodge a bullet there.

(fyi: memtest passed with flying colors - and i left it running for 10+ hours. I haven't found anything to indicate faulty hardware of any sort.)

In any case, there's enough evidence for me to conclude that this is almost certainly a software issue for a few reasons:

1) The post I cited, which makes it clear that the issue could not be due to any hardware besides the GPU.
2) It seems that this is a uniquely borderlands phenomenon - no one is reporting problems running other games (myself included). It's hard to imagine a hardware failure that only manifests in a very specific application - the GPU should be glitchy in general.
3) This error is restricted to 48XX GPUs. If this was caused by run-of-the-mill hardware failures, you should see the failures distributed over all makes and models (erring towards older, more worn out cards), this is not what we see.
4) The error seems to be the same for everyone and no one sees glitching or artifacting up until the crash (except for the missing textures in the 9.11beta - but those seem like standard beta issues).
5) As Big O demonstrated, you can change the failure mode by changing drivers: 9.8 always hard locks, 9.9 - 11 recover on their own sometimes.

I'm going to keep poking at my system to see if I can find anything wrong with it (I'll run the furmark stability test longer tomorrow to see if anything crops up) - it's just looking more and more like a software issue.

dred79
10-30-2009, 11:05 PM
Good work krazy. It sounds like your system is rock solid and the issue is going to be GPU or software. What makes this problem so fustrating is knowing that i have absolutley no problems or that lots of other people are running the same setup with no issues. Thats what makes me have a hard time with software being the cause. But at the same time in your scenario you have two 4890 cards running in crossfire and if one of them was bad you should be able to turn off one and run stable on the other. you already tried that and it crashed. The idea that two 4890 cards could be bad sounds like 1 in a million.

So the whole situation sucks and I hope you can get it fixed soon.

trusteft
10-31-2009, 08:37 AM
I use 9.8 and it hasn't locked/crashed on me yet. With a 4870X2.

dred79
10-31-2009, 02:26 PM
Hey guys just want to say there seems to be a wealth of info on fixing this crashing problem at gearbox's forums. One of the interesting tweaks someone mentioned to help fix or at least make the game last longer before it crashes.
They turned off Hyperthreading in the bios and also set the affinity on the multi-core cpu to run borderlands with only 1 core.. you don't have to do both one or the other seems to improve the length you can play the game before it crashes..

By all means you can try both if you want. hope this helps.

Big O
11-01-2009, 01:24 AM
I solved the issue by disabling ati overdrive, no control over core/mem, and none on fan speed either, all back to default... weird.

Lorentz
11-01-2009, 05:17 AM
I wonder if this due to revisions to the card. My 4850 is from when it was just released. It's a single slot design. New ones seem to be double-slot. Perhaps the reference circuit has slightly changed during it?

As I said, I have the old card, and Borderlands also crashes every once a while for me too, that black out thing.

Can people describe which card they have and when they got it/which revision they have? And whether it plays Borderlands fine or not.

filivanili
11-01-2009, 06:59 AM
Thank you slly - setting fan speed to 60% has allowed me to play Left 4 Dead for about 3 minutes in windowed mode without a crash and temp running at 52-53C during action, 40-42C idling. Will do more tests and report back.

EDIT- Crashes persist. I'll post from another forum everything I've tried (below)

My ATI Radeon 4850, 512mb has same crashing issue. Doesn't happen every game, but Left 4 Dead only lasts about 5-40 seconds before vid card stops working, and had same problem in an old Halflife mod, "Age of Chivalry". What happens is this: the monitor goes out like the card powers off, then it runs again but with a generic video driver. Tells me the error is the ATI driver ati2dvag that caused the error.

GAMES THAT WORKED

1. Darkest Hour (mod for HL2)

2. Company of Heroes

GAMES THAT CRASHED:

1. Left 4 Dead

2. Age of Chivalry (mod for Halflife - the old one!)

STUFF I TRIED

Using Left 4 Dead as a test, I tried the following things to fix this based on various forum posts:

1. Run in windowed mode, no border = FAIL. Windowed mode = FAIL

2. Manually set fan speed at 60% in CCC = FAIL. Crashed at temp of 53C.

3. Turn down video settings in game = FAIL

4. Put freezer packs next to my vid card = FAIL

5. Uninstalled driver, reinstalled new 9.1 driver = FAIL

6. Uninstalled new 9.1 driver, installed old 8.9 driver = FAIL

7. Uninstalled Left 4 Dead, re-installed Direct X 9.0c, Reinstalled Left 4 Dead = FAIL

8. Ran memtest86 on each of my 4 RAM sticks, then all of them together, they all passed = FAIL

9. Prayed to Yumma Yumma, the god of food & pleasure = FAIL

10. Googled "recommended power supply for Radeon 4850" and found the answer = DOH! However, upgraded to Corsair 750W that is "recommended" by ATI and FAIL. Still crashing.

11. Did an MSI liveupdate to make sure my motherboard BIOS crap is all updated, and it is.

12. Installed all the drivers and codecs from Sapphire for the 4850 they made, and FAIL.

13. I'm confused at this point and don't know what to try next.

PLEASE HELP!

My system:

<>Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3 (2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.090804-1435)

<>System Manufacturer: RS480_
<>System Model: AWRDACPI

<>BIOS: Phoenix - Award BIOS v6.00PG
<>Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3500+, MMX, 3DNow, ~2.2GHz

<>Memory: 3070MB RAM
<>Page File: 560MB used, 6954MB available
<>DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.5512 32bit Unicode

intel q6600, 8gb ram, ati/amd 4870, windows 7 here. did the same thing in vista.

there seems to be a problem with fan control in the game and causes the graphics system to reset.

anyway, install and launch catalyst control center, enable the advanced mode.

graphics menu | ati overdrive
click the lock icon to unlock the settings
check the box for manual fan control
move the slider to 60%
click apply

theyarecoming4u
11-01-2009, 08:29 AM
Running a 4870 here. No problems. However, the game is clearly very demanding - it causes the fan to fire up quite often and when I checked the GPU temperature it was 97C.

thapickle
11-02-2009, 09:53 AM
I also have the same issue. Mobility Radeon HD 4650. This is absurd! I got the part where I have to get the key to go kill sledge (inside zone). It didnt crash it did not crash until I was there. It must have done the same crash 20+ times in a multiplayer game with my gf over lan. I thought it was a realtek issue but my other laptop with an nvidia 9300gs even though it runs like crap 800x600 it doesnt crash. Im running windows 7 64 fresh install. 6gb of ram and it also happens on damn near every ut3 engine game except for maybe deadspace. It happened also on farcry 2. If it is connected to my HDMI my 42 inch lcd just says loss of signal and i can hear the sound stuttering. I have to hold the power switch to reboot. Does it without HDMI just on the notebook monitor as well. Things I have tried.

1. Reinstalling OS. (this happened on vista 64 as well as my new windows 7 64.

2. Overclocking, Underclocking etc. Tried and fail.

3. I cannot do the fan speed fix because of the mobility does not have overdrive and no tool allows me to control the fan speed.

4. 9.9 9.8 9.1 drivers. Ive tried these and they do the same thing. the 9.1 drivers eff up my monitors resolution too.

5. Disabling soundcard. (alot of people in other UT3 engine games said this fixes the issue.)

6. Running the game in a windows. Also with gpuz and hwmonitor open next to it to check the temps. Temps are very good. No overheating my notebook actually has an excellent cooling system stock in it. vaio fw series.

What the hell else can i do. ATI please fix this issue I buy all of these games and are unable to play any of them because of this issue.

1. Bioshock

2. Mass Effect

3. Borderlands

4. Far Cry 2.

5. Batman Arkham Asylum

Anyone else have any insight?

thapickle
11-02-2009, 10:11 AM
I also have the same issue. Mobility Radeon HD 4650. This is absurd! I got the part where I have to get the key to go kill sledge (inside zone). It didnt crash it did not crash until I was there. It must have done the same crash 20+ times in a multiplayer game with my gf over lan. I thought it was a realtek issue but my other laptop with an nvidia 9300gs even though it runs like crap 800x600 it doesnt crash. Im running windows 7 64 fresh install. 6gb of ram and it also happens on damn near every ut3 engine game except for maybe deadspace. It happened also on farcry 2. If it is connected to my HDMI my 42 inch lcd just says loss of signal and i can hear the sound stuttering. I have to hold the power switch to reboot. Does it without HDMI just on the notebook monitor as well. Things I have tried.

1. Reinstalling OS. (this happened on vista 64 as well as my new windows 7 64.

2. Overclocking, Underclocking etc. Tried and fail.

3. I cannot do the fan speed fix because of the mobility does not have overdrive and no tool allows me to control the fan speed.

4. 9.9 9.8 9.1 drivers. Ive tried these and they do the same thing. the 9.1 drivers eff up my monitors resolution too.

5. Disabling soundcard. (alot of people in other UT3 engine games said this fixes the issue.)

6. Running the game in a windows. Also with gpuz and hwmonitor open next to it to check the temps. Temps are very good. No overheating my notebook actually has an excellent cooling system stock in it. vaio fw series.

What the hell else can i do. ATI please fix this issue I buy all of these games and are unable to play any of them because of this issue.

1. Bioshock

2. Mass Effect

3. Borderlands

4. Far Cry 2.

5. Batman Arkham Asylum

Anyone else have any insight?

------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 11/2/2009, 09:09:23
Machine name: BIGVAIO
Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) (7600.win7_rtm.090713-1255)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Sony Corporation
System Model: VGN-FW480J
BIOS: BIOS Date: 05/09/08 11:12:06 Ver: 08.00.10
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU P7350 @ 2.00GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.0GHz
Memory: 6144MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 6112MB RAM
Page File: 3128MB used, 9092MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
DxDiag Version: 6.01.7600.16385 64bit Unicode

trusteft
11-02-2009, 10:37 AM
pickle did you set the fan at high speed?

thapickle
11-02-2009, 11:39 AM
pickle did you set the fan at high speed?

I cant my notebook only has one fan.. I have a mobility radeon hd 4650. I tried software to attempt to change fan speed but cannot. Since its mobility i dont have the overdrive tab in CCC.

slly
11-02-2009, 11:51 AM
i opened a case with AMD of my configuration, problem, and workaround.

here was their first round of troubleshooting:
Response and Service Request History:

ensure the latest motherboard BIOS and motherboard and CHIPSET drivers are installed. These are available from the system or motherboard manufacturer’s website.

Also, make sure that the computer meets all of the recommended system requirements for the application or the game. Disable all background programs and services that are not necessary to run Windows. Make sure there is an adequate power supply.

In some cases, a clean uninstallation, followed by an installation of the latest drivers can resolve issues. For a step by step guide to please refer to knowledgebase article: “ATI Catalyst Driver Suite Installation Instructions”.

Other troubleshooting steps to try
Adjust graphics hardware acceleration as follows:

Click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.
Double-click Display.
On the Settings tab, click Advanced.
Click the Troubleshoot tab.
Move the Hardware Acceleration slider two notches to the left of Full (the Disable all cursor and advanced drawing accelerations setting).
Click OK, and then click OK again.
Turn on DirectDraw Acceleration, Direct3D Acceleration, and AGP Texture Acceleration

Click Start, click Run, type DXDiag in the Open, and then click OK.
On the Display (or Display 1) tab, under DirectX Features, click Enable next to DirectDraw Acceleration, Direct3D Acceleration, and AGP Acceleration.
Run the available tests to ensure that each of the three components passes.
Click Exit.
Restart the computer by using a clean boot procedure
NOTE: Users may experience a temporary loss of some services functionality when following these steps. Restoring the settings restores the functionality, but it may result in the return of the original error message or behavior.

Click Start, click Run, type msconfig in the Open box, and then click OK.
On the General tab, click Selective Startup.
Under Selective Startup, click to clear "Load Startup Items".
On the Services tab, click to select the Hide All Microsoft Services check box, and then click Disable All.
Click OK, and then click Restart.
If the poor performance continues, check in the Catalyst™ Control Center to see if any performance settings can also be lowered. The settings for AA (Anti-Aliasing) and AF (Anisotropic Filtering) settings have the greatest impact on gaming performance. In the Catalyst Control Center, set these to “application controlled”. This will let the application decide what level of AA and AF to use.

In order to update this service request, please respond, leaving the service request reference intact.

Best regards,

AMD Global Customer Care

my response:
In Windows 7, there is no option for me to change troubleshooting settings.

In Windows 7's dxdiag, there are no options to check/uncheck in Display 1 properties, nor is there any 'Test' facilities.

Disabling the startup items in msconfig had no impact. The symptoms still exist.
i got a response today from AMD, they're escalating support. i'll keep you folks posted. :)

stu-noob
11-02-2009, 04:00 PM
Yeah, I have a 4890. I'm having a miserable time with Borderlands, but nothing else so far.

If ATI does not fix this ASAP it will be the last ATI product that I buy. This is the second time I've had issues with ATI cards, and in between the ATI cards I've had Nvidia stuff with no problems. What gives.

HannibalX
11-02-2009, 09:24 PM
For what its worth I have finally figured out how to play without any problems. As long as I don't open the tall lockers then the game never crashes, as soon as I do though, the card resets but I am able to keep playing after it resets. Sometimes just looking at the tall lockers resets the card but only rarely. Game is very playable now though, so all I need is a little patching.

dred79
11-03-2009, 12:21 AM
For what its worth I have finally figured out how to play without any problems. As long as I don't open the tall lockers then the game never crashes, as soon as I do though, the card resets but I am able to keep playing after it resets. Sometimes just looking at the tall lockers resets the card but only rarely. Game is very playable now though, so all I need is a little patching.

Its amazing to me how anyone could run into an issue like this when so many people with the same hardware setup are not having any problems.. If 1 out of 300,000 people experience this how the hell can a company be expected fix something like that if they can't replicate it themselves.

I don't doubt the fix or the issue your having i just haven't seen anyone else mention a problem like this. I hope a new patch comes and helps resolve some of these issues everyone is having. I just don't put much hope in patches. If the game didn't run for me and my friend who has an identical computer runs great i would probably tear my computer apart replacing everything till it worked.

t-zakjeZ
11-03-2009, 05:38 AM
This is such a strange problem. I can play Solo on 70% fan speed, never had a crash; co-op as well. But last night when I played co-op with someone with the in-game mic disabled and on Skype (much better mic sound) I did get a General Protection Fault randomly between 1 and 25 minutes, even when I set the fan speed at 80%. I think it's because I had skype running as well and considering the amount of RAM/CPU Borderlands asks from a computer, it couldn't cope with two programs running? :o

Bossebrutal
11-03-2009, 06:43 AM
Got a HD4550 works like a charm.

Team MX | Major
11-03-2009, 07:32 AM
Same problem here:

Have ATI 4870x2 card and got the strange freezes for every few minutes or hard lock.
Things i try:
- Check my temp (doesn't go over 58oC) even i know its not possible to go over 80-90oC coz i got new cooler on it.
- Lower all setting - put it on 1024x768, all details to low, all other to off
- Window mod play
- Play in compability mod (I am using Vista 64)
- Disable all those things in that ini file
- Disable Ati Power play
- Disable Ati A.I.
- Put manually fan @ 60-70-80-90% still the same
- Download latest driver 9.10 - crash
- Download beta 9.11 - driver stopped responding and i can play for a while until it just hard lock
So basically i did all and still i can't make this game to work.

trusteft
11-03-2009, 07:44 AM
Did you try to disable ambient occlusion?

dred79
11-03-2009, 11:33 AM
Same problem here:

Have ATI 4870x2 card and got the strange freezes for every few minutes or hard lock.
Things i try:
- Check my temp (doesn't go over 58oC) even i know its not possible to go over 80-90oC coz i got new cooler on it.
- Lower all setting - put it on 1024x768, all details to low, all other to off
- Window mod play
- Play in compability mod (I am using Vista 64)
- Disable all those things in that ini file
- Disable Ati Power play
- Disable Ati A.I.
- Put manually fan @ 60-70-80-90% still the same
- Download latest driver 9.10 - crash
- Download beta 9.11 - driver stopped responding and i can play for a while until it just hard lock
So basically i did all and still i can't make this game to work.

that 58c temp you mentioned was under load in bordrelands? or is that idle temp? use something like hwmonitor to check the max temp while in game if your not sure.

personally to rule out software being the cause i would back up all data and just reinstall windows put on fresh drivers install the game and try it right away. if it crashes still then i would be looking into more hardware related stuff.

Check motherboard bios and maybe try making your memory timings more stable. I know none of this is really a solution in your situation i just try to rule out every possibility before i just assume its the games fault and you have to wait for a patch.

filivanili
11-03-2009, 11:54 AM
I've spent too much time trying to get a vid card working and am going to return the Radeon HD4850. Guess I need to look at nVidia again after having a couple ATI cards.

dred79
11-03-2009, 12:00 PM
I've spent too much time trying to get a vid card working and am going to return the Radeon HD4850. Guess I need to look at nVidia again after having a couple ATI cards.

Well i don't blame you.. whatever it takes to get it working.. I personally like ATI for the great price and awesome performance they offer over nvidia. I have had about 4 ATI cards in the past and two nvidia. I always felt the ATI worked better for me. 7900 SLI drivers kinda sucked. I always had to reinstall them once a month to keep SLI functional.

In the end as long as the card gets the job done it doesn't really matter which one you get.

HannibalX
11-03-2009, 01:36 PM
Ok disregard what I said earlier, my video card is resetting kind of at random now, happened a few times.

dred79 Ive done all the tweaks I could find but nothing is helping. How could it be a problem with my hardware if Ive never had a problem with any other game and the card is relatively new? My card isn't overheating and even though you don't think so, there are many people with a similar problem, as you can see from all the replies to this thread and on other forums. I think they will fix it up though when a big patch is released.

dred79
11-03-2009, 01:59 PM
Ok disregard what I said earlier, my video card is resetting kind of at random now, happened a few times.

dred79 Ive done all the tweaks I could find but nothing is helping. How could it be a problem with my hardware if Ive never had a problem with any other game and the card is relatively new? My card isn't overheating and even though you don't think so, there are many people with a similar problem, as you can see from all the replies to this thread and on other forums. I think they will fix it up though when a big patch is released.

Well as long you feel positive you have exhausted every hardware possibility and confirmed everything is stable and working in every other game then it must be software. The problem is i seem to have the exact same setup as many of you here. If you were correct and its a game bug why do i not experience it? what you suggested to me is the exact same i suggest to you. Why do i not crash? why am i stable? what makes my setup different?

The only way i see it being software is if you have tweaked your windows or maybe a virus or possibly a hard drive that just crashed and corrupted a lot of files and maybe you need to reinstall the game. Those are the things that come to mind when you say software is the cause. Which is why i feel if everyone did a fresh reinstall of windows updated to latest drivers reinstalled the game and played it almost immeddiatly and it still crashes?

Then i am back in hardware thinking its a hardware issue only because i know thousands of people in forums have the same hardware as me and it works fine.

HannibalX
11-03-2009, 08:27 PM
Well as long you feel positive you have exhausted every hardware possibility and confirmed everything is stable and working in every other game then it must be software. The problem is i seem to have the exact same setup as many of you here. If you were correct and its a game bug why do i not experience it? what you suggested to me is the exact same i suggest to you. Why do i not crash? why am i stable? what makes my setup different?

The only way i see it being software is if you have tweaked your windows or maybe a virus or possibly a hard drive that just crashed and corrupted a lot of files and maybe you need to reinstall the game. Those are the things that come to mind when you say software is the cause. Which is why i feel if everyone did a fresh reinstall of windows updated to latest drivers reinstalled the game and played it almost immeddiatly and it still crashes?

Then i am back in hardware thinking its a hardware issue only because i know thousands of people in forums have the same hardware as me and it works fine.

What exactly is your system setup? I know you don't have problems but as you know, there are thousands of different hardware and software setups that are possible and every person can have a unique problem. The thing is, my problem is shared by many other people too that also have similar hardware setups. I think then that there is some kind of conflict with the game and my computer setup, but I am not about to go and buy new stuff for a 45 dollar game, especially when I have had no problems with other games you know?

Team MX | Major
11-04-2009, 12:22 AM
that 58c temp you mentioned was under load in bordrelands? or is that idle temp? use something like hwmonitor to check the max temp while in game if your not sure.

personally to rule out software being the cause i would back up all data and just reinstall windows put on fresh drivers install the game and try it right away. if it crashes still then i would be looking into more hardware related stuff.

Check motherboard bios and maybe try making your memory timings more stable. I know none of this is really a solution in your situation i just try to rule out every possibility before i just assume its the games fault and you have to wait for a patch.

When I am out of the game the temp is about 42-44oC depeneds what i am doing.
In the game temperature don't go over 58oC i check that.
Also I did try fresh install of windows.
Just installed drivers and the game and still the same.
Only thing that i didn't try but I saw on some other thread that i should put out my memory sticks and leave only 1. I know its not that issue but I can try.
Anyway when I get home I will fresh install Windows, this time I will install W7. Put out all my memory and try with only single one. Will install 9.10 catalyst and we will see what happens.

dred79
11-04-2009, 01:00 AM
What exactly is your system setup? I know you don't have problems but as you know, there are thousands of different hardware and software setups that are possible and every person can have a unique problem. The thing is, my problem is shared by many other people too that also have similar hardware setups. I think then that there is some kind of conflict with the game and my computer setup, but I am not about to go and buy new stuff for a 45 dollar game, especially when I have had no problems with other games you know?

I have an AMD Phenon II triple core black edition overclocked to 3.6ghz and 4870x2 with 4GB of DDR3 memory. I watercool so my temps are quite low.

All my friends aircool and have Phenom II quad setup with a 4870x2 and have been playing 4 player co-op with me all week so thats what i mean by similar setup. We all use windows 7 play with the stock settings for borderlands and radeon drivers. no tweaks were needed to play.

This is why i get hung up on it being hardware issue because a fresh install of windows should rule out software as being the cause. Then it just comes down to bios settings or defective hardware.

However i understand that after doing everything maybe it is software. Its just one of those thing that doesn't make sense to me if it is sofwtare.

ClanLord
11-04-2009, 04:25 AM
my 285GTX is having similar problems..

first it freezes and then a Black screen
I know theres an error message but I couldnt see

My card is running @ full load @ 60C
I never had problems b4 but just happened 2 times now

WinXP 32Bit
i7 920

cid crispy
11-04-2009, 08:41 AM
"First it freezes and then a Black screen
I know there's an error message but I couldn't see"

The message is something like "Video driver atikmag stopped and recovered" or whatever your driver is called.

This is the exact same problem I had on Fallout 3 that I was never able to resolve. At least in Fallout I could get up to 2 hours of gameplay sometimes. With Borderlands 10 maybe 20 minuets before fail and never more.

Before the fail it runs fine at lowest settings on my Radeon HD3450

ClanLord
11-04-2009, 11:24 AM
it only onccured after I have changes some settings in cfg.. hmm

Boozer Dawg
11-04-2009, 11:49 AM
Il post what i posted on the official Borderlands forums -

I used to have this exact same problem in Crysis and Tomb Raider Anniversary with my 4870. They were the only games where it would black screen, sound repeats, and i had to hard reset the computer to get it going again. Every single other game i played worked absolutely fine (I spent over 40 hours playing RE5 PC on it, along with others like Left 4 Dead etc), i didnt understand it at all. I checked temps, and they reached over 100c, so i thought it might be overheating (which didnt make sense to me seing as everything else didnt crash).

When i replaced the 4870 with a 5770, this issue completely disapeared, i recently went through the whole of Crysis without even a hint of a crash.

Im led to beleive that either certain games are more prone to causing it, that theres a problem in the drivers somewhere that hasnt really been noticed until now, or that simply my 5770 runs cooler thereby stopping the problem.

I wish i could help you guys out as it was something i could never ever get sorted with my 4870, no matter how many forum posts i made about it, no1 could help me. I went through so many driver revisions, even motherboards and memory and power supplies, nothing would solve it. I strongly beleive its a nasty bug in the ATI drivers that only effect a small ammount of people, hopefully with Borderlands being a new game and everyone reporting in on it, it will get investigated and hopefully fixed.

Does anyone suffer the same issue while playing Crysis/Tomb Raider Anniversary ?

dred79
11-04-2009, 12:30 PM
Boozer my interpretation of what you said to me would mean a defective card that when certain shaders or stream processors were stressed the card would fail and black screen on it. not all games stress the card the same way. If it was truly a software bug it could be replicated on every radeon card out there.

HannibalX
11-04-2009, 01:31 PM
I have an AMD Phenon II triple core black edition overclocked to 3.6ghz and 4870x2 with 4GB of DDR3 memory. I watercool so my temps are quite low.

All my friends aircool and have Phenom II quad setup with a 4870x2 and have been playing 4 player co-op with me all week so thats what i mean by similar setup. We all use windows 7 play with the stock settings for borderlands and radeon drivers. no tweaks were needed to play.

This is why i get hung up on it being hardware issue because a fresh install of windows should rule out software as being the cause. Then it just comes down to bios settings or defective hardware.

However i understand that after doing everything maybe it is software. Its just one of those thing that doesn't make sense to me if it is sofwtare.

See we have very different setups. I only have one 4890HD card, windows xp home, 4 gigs ddr2 ram, and a duo core intel cpu 3.2 ghz. The game could be conflicting with any one of these things so even if it works for you, you can't compare because our setups are not alike.

HannibalX
11-04-2009, 01:31 PM
dred just curious but do you work for gearbox? lol...

dred79
11-04-2009, 02:46 PM
dred just curious but do you work for gearbox? lol...

Nope just a hardware geek that troubleshoots this kinda stuff for a living. Earlier in this thread a lot of people were saying they had the 4870x2 with a fresh install of windows 7. that is very similar to what i have. Sure different processors but unless you saying intel is more unstable than amd? i don't know why intel vs amd cpu would make any difference with these cards.

Also while your card is different from mine its not all that different. It is a high quality radeon graphics card with 800 stream processors. Mine is the same just two 800 stream processors instead of one.

Not to mention the problem is not isolated to your card. people are complaining about many different model radeons while playing borderlands tho most are the high end ones. like 4850-4890 or so.

anyway my point is when you say it must be radeon drivers fault or borderlands needs a patch to fix this. It should reproducable on my system and i can't reproduce it.

So all i am saying is unless you can single out whats causing it in software i would still be focusing on what makes my system different and less stable compared to someone else who has similar specs and works great.

Like someone said earlier they replaced there card with a 5770 and all the problems went away. Maybe it was a defective card all along.

Issus_C
11-04-2009, 03:34 PM
I'm running dual 1gb Radeon HD 4870s with Windows 7 - 64 bit and I'm having problems like this with several games. This is a brand new rig (less than a week old) and it should be knocking these games out of the park. Out of the 6 games I have installed only 2 run without issues (team fortress 2 and l4d1)

Borderlands (running in windows 7 64 bit) crashes shortly after starting the game, during the tutorial around the point when you access the "new you device" for the first time. In compatability mode as XP (SP3) it runs now for about 20 - 30 mins before getting one of three problems.
-The screen freezes & sound loops (least common)
-The controls seize up but the game continues until I'm forced to restart my pc(more common)
-The screen goes black and the computer spontaneously shuts down.
No error messages appear for any of these, even on restart.

Crysis (I've tried a few different compatability modes but all have the same effect) installs fine, boots fine but as soon as a game is started the entire thing freezes on the first screen (black screen with "17th August 2020" at the bottom) and then I either have to restart or a few seconds later the computer turns off. The first time this happened there was a blue screen, I assumed it was a one off and didn't pay it much attention, but it hasn't appeared again.

Call of Duty : World at War - Computer crashes randomly.

Left 4 Dead 2 Demo - Computer crashes randomly (sometimes twice in 15 mins, sometimes not at all in 2 hours).

I was wondering if it was windows 7 causing the instability, but after seeing this thread and hearing from friends that the same games work fine for them it looks like this might be the issue.

dred79
11-04-2009, 04:55 PM
issus_C i would take one of the 4870 cards out of your system and try one card. monitor your temps with hwmonitor to make sure nothing is too hot. Also with one card it kinda makes sure its not the PSU causing the problem.

I would try one card one at at a time till it worked. Honestly my best guess is that there are quite a few flaky or faulty radeon cards out there but who knows it could be other things. all i can suggest is to keep testing and rule out everything you can.

ClanLord
11-04-2009, 05:24 PM
so far this has happened to me 2 times.. but I have GTX 285 card.. so maybe it has nothing to do with Radeon cards?

WFG
11-04-2009, 05:31 PM
so far this has happened to me 2 times.. but I have GTX 285 card.. so maybe it has nothing to do with Radeon cards?It seems that a lot of people who are having issues are using ATI 4xxx cards, but yes there also seems to be some nvidia users with similar issues as well.

Issus_C
11-05-2009, 07:31 AM
I've had a deeper look into my dual 1 GB Radeon HD 8870s and found that at the moment only one is running properly. One was labelled as the primary adapter and the other as the disabled adapter. I've enabled ATI Crossfire so that the second one is now the "linked adapter" but it's made no difference.

The thing that REALLY caught my eye however is that at a 0% activity level the GPU is settling at 90% fan speed and 93 degrees celsius... O_o

On the borderlands menu screen that rises to 100% fan speed, 104 degrees only at a 35% activity level. When I'm actually playing the temp peaks at 110 degrees, the activity at around 80 and then the system crashes or locks up.

It seems I've found my problem and meshcomputers will be getting a call in the next 5 mins. My question now though is do I ask them to replace the fault card(s) with 2 non faulty 4870s (which according to this post are still an issue) or do I ask them to change to another model?

dred79
11-05-2009, 09:20 AM
Issus_C If you have a warranty thats up to you.. I know calling in warranties are not fun cause you usually have to wait to send the card or computer out for repair. If its local than yea why not? If you can swap them out for something better like the 5850 or 5770 i think those might be better since they run cooler and give more performance.

Otherwise i think your temps shouldn't be going higher than 80c when playing a game.. I know sometimes 80+ is fine but if your hitting 110c you definently need to get it cooler and would most likely solve your issue.

Really only two ways that could be causing all that heat.

You either have a poor computer case design with very low airflow.

The heatsinks on the cards have some dirt in them and its blocking all the airflow. you can try an air can but sometimes you have to take the fan cover off to really clean the dirt out.

Finally you could just live in deathvalley with a temp of 120f and no air conditioner.

Either way you have options to fix this. whatever you think is best.

Issus_C
11-05-2009, 09:41 AM
Really only two ways that could be causing all that heat.

You either have a poor computer case design with very low airflow.

The heatsinks on the cards have some dirt in them and its blocking all the airflow. you can try an air can but sometimes you have to take the fan cover off to really clean the dirt out.

Finally you could just live in deathvalley with a temp of 120f and no air conditioner.

Either way you have options to fix this. whatever you think is best.

Well the case design has one side made almost entirely of mesh and a big hole in the back to pull air through so I don't think that's an issue. At the moment it's on top of a table in a well aired room so surrounding heat isn't a problem, and it's less than a week old so I doubt it's dirt either.

ATM I'm leaning towards it being a faulty card but mesh are determined to be unhelpful. They keep telling me to call them back after trying certain things, they took me around in a circle from disabling ATI crossfire to enabling it again, taking the side off and then putting it back on. They say they've helped but I've told them nothing has changed, and then they made it sound like I was making THEIR lives difficult by calling when they asked me to! Very frustrated!

dred79
11-05-2009, 12:27 PM
Who did you buy the computer from? it doesn't sound like a well known company. If its custom built there is no telling where they got the video cards from. For all we know the tech that built the pc for you put in his 4870 cards and used the money to upgrade himself to 58xx series.

well until you get the temps down there is no reason not to believe that is the cause of your crashing. i can say if you have good airflow in the case then the only possible cause is either dirt in the card blocking airflow or somehow the card is not making full contact with the heatsink. basically not seated right..

I tend to believe dirt is the most likely cause tho because my friends 4870x2 after 6 months of running was caked with dirt and made his temps hit 110c and freeze his computer in every game. Air can was not enough to clean it out. he had to yank the fan cover off and get ito ut. now he gets like 70c and everything runs fine again.

Lorentz
11-05-2009, 10:01 PM
OK, I can now run Borderlands.

Had to underclock it to minimum, then the game became playable.

Probably is a temperature issue then, even though after getting a custom cooler onto the card, must be getting pretty hot in that case.

Again, my card is the first gen 4850 (the single slot type), which was known to cause massive amounts of heat. Ran other games fine though, wonder why this game does it.

Oh well, card's still good enough to run Borderlands with all the details up, even when underclocked.

Team MX | Major
11-06-2009, 02:21 AM
I just realised that also the problem is in L4D2 demo game.
Here is the pictures of when problem starts in game:

First picture is when I start Borderlands. This red lines blinks all the time in start of the game (when logos showing) and after that it just stops and go back to normal. Then i can play for a while and it just freeze.
http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa236/SaleZmaj/1-1.jpg
Second one is in L4D2 demo.. I got this when the game loads game before joining server. Then it just stops responding after few minutes.

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa236/SaleZmaj/2-1.jpg

C4Chaos42
11-06-2009, 02:51 AM
I have a solution that worked for my dual 8800gts. The problem was software related in relation to the GPU temperatures, apparently 71-80 degrees celcius was too hot... and something other than both my cards were causing them to stop for a brief second.

Solution to my problem: Set the GPU fan speed to 74% and HDD+CageFan to 41%. That stopped the problem.

ClanLord
11-06-2009, 05:12 AM
I just realised that also the problem is in L4D2 demo game.
Here is the pictures of when problem starts in game:

First picture is when I start Borderlands. This red lines blinks all the time in start of the game (when logos showing) and after that it just stops and go back to normal. Then i can play for a while and it just freeze.
http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa236/SaleZmaj/1-1.jpg
Second one is in L4D2 demo.. I got this when the game loads game before joining server. Then it just stops responding after few minutes.

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa236/SaleZmaj/2-1.jpg

your grahics card is dying.. time for a replacement!

Team MX | Major
11-06-2009, 05:27 AM
If my card is dying how can I play Batman Arkham Asylum without a single crash?

Tondra
11-07-2009, 02:55 PM
I get this when I play for about 20 min.... Game or GFX card?

http://photos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs063.snc3/13042_577609977962_15105614_33654104_143666_n.jpg

YahooElite
11-07-2009, 05:06 PM
It could be a mix between your GPU and your Drivers.

For ATI/Nvidia cards that get a driver reset when playing games it usually has to do with too high of an Overclock or something wrong with the drivers.

Earlier this year after Nvidia updated their drivers a few times, i started getting the drivers crash ONLY durring Online games, mainly Versus. now for the record i did have my GPU OC'd a lil bit, at 1st i didnt think that was the problem but it turned out it was even though the problem never happend on other games, so i uninstalled the drivers, driver cleaned them, reinstalled and lowered the OC a lil and it fixed the problem.

Nvidia drivers since this problem started have also fixed the problem.

It seems to be a problem when the drivers miss something, i cant remember exactly what it is but its an issue with Vista that has always been around for nvidia and ATI cards.

Using the program Game Booster http://www.majorgeeks.com/Game_Booster_d5952.html to disable un-needed services n such to improve gaming on low end systems fixes the problem. one of the services that causes the Drivers reset issue gets disabled and thus allows you to avoid this problem. i tested it myself when i was having the driver problem and it worked for me. it also works on high end systems to fix possible issues such as this one but aside from that its generally not needed.

so for those of you that dont have an OC'd video card and yet its still resetting your drivers when playing a game, you may want to try it and see if it works for you

Team MX | Major
11-10-2009, 03:34 AM
I get this when I play for about 20 min.... Game or GFX card?

http://photos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs063.snc3/13042_577609977962_15105614_33654104_143666_n.jpg

I am sure it's not GPU coz lot of people got this issue.

TIWizard
11-10-2009, 10:32 AM
I am getting the freeze after 10-15 min of gameplay, multiplayer and singleplayer.

ATI 4870X2 (Liquid cooled, plently of case fans...)
Intel X6800 @ 2.93 Ghz (stock speeds, also liquid cooled)
2GB RAM

I was monitoring the temps. through GPUZ while playing, and it seems when my GPU hits its max of 71 degrees after 3-5 minutes it crashes... Oddly enough, the GPU is at 40-50% usage up until the temps go to 70 degrees, where it spikes to 90-100% for second then goes back down to 80%... Then it crashes and the usage goes to 0%.

I have this issue on Mirror's Edge AND Borderlands, which I believe are BOTH Unreal Engine 3 games... Weird... I think this may be an Unreal Engine issue or something.

Tried this on Vista, Windows 7, 9.6, 9.8, and 9.10 drivers.

jhartzog
11-10-2009, 04:51 PM
I am also having the same issues as described above. I have a 4870 with all kinds of case fans keeping it nice and cool. I have tried running the fan at 70%, no good. I have read this entire thread and I think that my problem most resembles Kr4zyK0w because other games such as TF2 run completely fine. This is a brand new card in a brand new case with all new parts.

SlappyMoose
11-10-2009, 05:33 PM

Same, 4850 x2 works like a charm. Only very minor artifacts once from overheating.

Tondra
11-10-2009, 09:50 PM
I have this issue on Mirror's Edge AND Borderlands, which I believe are BOTH Unreal Engine 3 games... Weird... I think this may be an Unreal Engine issue or something.

Actually, I have Unreal Tournament 3 and I use the Radeon HD 4870... the game crashes on the original game too o.o This definitely sounds like a unreal engine problem. The only difference is on the UT3 game, it simply crashes to desktop, on borderlands, it makes me restart the comp from a unrecoverable crash

Tides
11-10-2009, 11:16 PM
I have 3870 Crossfire in my laptop and it crashes after a hour every time I play. I have tested the RAM and played other games for very long periods of time and this is the only game that crashes for me. It is strange because it is always around the hour mark. Using 9.10 by the way.

Tondra
11-15-2009, 03:10 AM
I'm working with ATI on this issue, maybe they can find something with the GPU card >_<

LastDay
11-15-2009, 04:31 AM
I have ATI Radeon HD 4350 and it works almost perfectly.
I no-lifed and played Borderlands for over 12 hours straight.
It jammed once after alt+tab.

Granted, it's a budget card designed to run a bunch of games for cheap, so I play without dynamic shadows and bloom, resolution at 1024x768.
Everything else maxed.

|Tom|
11-15-2009, 04:57 AM
See the problem here is you're using a radeon

yankeesfan40
11-15-2009, 05:59 PM
I'm also having trouble with my borderlands game. It constantly crashes with the error message that "borderlands has encountered a problem and needs to close" I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling, to no avail. Updating my video card drivers didnt help either. I can run Modern Warfare 2 on max, but not this? Any help appreciated, Thanks!

My specs:

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @3.16Ghz
4Gb Ram
HD Radeon 4850 512MB

dred79
11-15-2009, 09:31 PM
9/10 its a heat issue. When its not a heat issue and you double checked everything else in your system then i would say a defective card. I know thats not the easiest solution for everyone but i have seen some posts with people saying they replaced there radeon with another radeon and it solved there issue.

If it was a software glitch it should effect everyone with a radeon. At this time my 5 friends all using 4870x2 with various hardware configs such as intel and amd and borderlands runs perfect with no modification or drivers updates required.

So if its not too much trouble swap out our radeon for another one.. i bet it will work.

PoIson895
11-16-2009, 01:31 AM
If you have any overclocked settings, restore them to the previous stock settings. Worked for me. Im running on a 4890 as well.

KmK.LadyMoon
11-16-2009, 11:32 AM
Well, after 2 weeks trying everthing you can imagine to get rid of those crashes, i got it to work. My crashs were random 5, 10, 30 min. But i have to say it was not only in Borderlands, but also almost all games. Even in XP SP3 i got crash.

SOLUTION:
I have 6GB DDR3 Corsair that are a Tripple Channel stuff. I did a "memory scan check" with 6GB and it was OK for windows. But it seems that my BIOS (or motherboard INTEL DP45SG) does not support tripple channel. When it was with all 3 pents, it says "single channel". I remove 1 pent, stay with 4GB, and it says "dual channel". 4GB resolve the problem.

I figure out the problem contacting Shappire tech suport, that read my crash log, and told me it could be a possible hardware problem. Since many people were having these crashs, in my mind, it was not a VGA problem to waste 4 weeks to get a new vga from them.

Might help somebody: remove 1 memory pent and analise.

My specs:
Win 7 64bits
Quad Core 9550
HD 4890
750W Corsair
4GB DDR3 Corsair
9.8 ATI CCC

The crash log i used to have:

Nome de Evento de Problema: APPCRASH
Nome do Aplicativo: Borderlands.exe
Versão do Aplicativo: 1.0.0.0
Carimbo de Data/Hora do Aplicativo: 4ab92691
Nome do Módulo de Falhas: KERNELBASE.dll
Versão do Módulo de Falhas: 6.1.7600.16385
Carimbo de Data/Hora do Módulo de Falhas: 4a5bdbdf
Código de Exceção: e06d7363
Deslocamento de Exceção: 0000b727
Versão do sistema operacional: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
Identificação da Localidade: 1046
Informações Adicionais 1: 13ec
Informações Adicionais 2: 13ece0ac85e577864d4a27db3f7cc704
Informações Adicionais 3: b6b1
Informações Adicionais 4: b6b18f8e8ae011e1ddf071e50feaeee7

Nome de Evento de Problema: APPCRASH
Nome do Aplicativo: DAOrigins.exe
Versão do Aplicativo: 1.1.9363.0
Carimbo de Data/Hora do Aplicativo: 4ae9d4e2
Nome do Módulo de Falhas: DAOrigins.exe
Versão do Módulo de Falhas: 1.1.9363.0
Carimbo de Data/Hora do Módulo de Falhas: 4ae9d4e2
Código de Exceção: c0000005
Deslocamento de Exceção: 0065d4ae
Versão do sistema operacional: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
Identificação da Localidade: 1046
Informações Adicionais 1: 0a9e
Informações Adicionais 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
Informações Adicionais 3: 0a9e
Informações Adicionais 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e78

Sorry my english ;)

tipper
11-16-2009, 12:02 PM
i run it perfectly fine with an ati 4870 1gb and an intel 8600

Better|Off|Dead
11-16-2009, 01:15 PM
See the problem here is you're using a radeon

If you have nothing meaningful to contribute then please don't post.

Thanks.

mesaone
11-16-2009, 01:38 PM
it doesnt really matter what your GPU fan speed is. Air is insulative, and if you're not blowing the hot air out of the case then you'll still have the same problem.

I have a nVidia GTX-275 (who thought high temps were ATI-exclusive??) and I get "driver stopped responding" errors on Call of Duty World at War and Dragon Age. It's because of the temps. I'm getting a new case soon, but installing a few extra fans in the meantime.

The problem is that the hot air may be blown away from the GPU, but after awhile the entire case gets hot enough to render the fan useless -- it's blowing hot air away from the graphics card, but more hot air is replacing it.

Try this: take the side panel off your case and put a large fan next to it. Then run the game. If you still get a crash, then chances are air circulation isn't the problem and it's time to check other drivers or RMA the card or whatever.

Milknife
11-16-2009, 06:35 PM
Housemate had consistant crashes 20 min in. 4850x2
Disabling Catalyst AI restored stability.

jhartzog
12-01-2009, 07:43 AM
So no one has been able to come up with any fixes?

eastcoasthandle
12-01-2009, 07:50 AM
Here's the deal
1. If you patched up the game unpatch it. When I started over the beginning movie provides no sound while the unpatch version does. So the patch is not stable for me. This is an indications that there maybe other issues.

2. If you have a CPU overclocked make sure you have enough vcore. For example if you have it at 1.30V bump it up to 1.32V to see if the problem stops. Remember, the data to display on the screen does come from the CPU to the video card. Even though your current vcore makes the CPU stable it may not allow the CPU to be fast enough for the task at hand. So check that out.

3. Rename borderland.exe to UT3.exe and see if that profile helps.

Korn1699
12-01-2009, 09:01 AM
I get the same issue on my 4890. I never had any issues until I got to crazy earl's scrapyard, but it sounds like it isn't just me and isn't just there...

thapickle
01-22-2010, 11:32 PM
Ive read these forums and posted and i thought i would share what did it for me. I dont think its the driver version or any of that crap. I had the same exact crashes in all Unreal 3 engine games from Bioshock, Bordlerlands, Batman Arkham Asylum, and pretty much any other UT3 engine game. I finally read something on a Bioshock forum that said You should underclock your gpu core and mem. For some reason at certain clock speeds it causes the crash (black screen loss of signal to monitor, sometimes sound stuttering in background). I am actually using a laptop. Sony Vaio FW series. It has a ATI mobility radeon 4650. I am unable to alter the fan speed separately so that fix never worked. My stock speeds on the laptop video are 450 gpu core and 600 for memory. I downclocked from to 400 and 550 respectively and for 2 weeks I have not had one single crash in Batman or Borderlands or Bioshock. I am super thrilled and I hope this fixes someone else's issues.

mesaone
01-23-2010, 03:37 AM
I downclocked from to 400 and 550 respectively and for 2 weeks I have not had one single crash in Batman or Borderlands or Bioshock. I am super thrilled and I hope this fixes someone else's issues.

i know some games are sensitive to overclocking, but I have never had to down-clock anything. What were the original speeds, and the underclocked speeds? your post was a bit confusing with the numbers.

thapickle
01-23-2010, 11:10 AM
i know some games are sensitive to overclocking, but I have never had to down-clock anything. What were the original speeds, and the underclocked speeds? your post was a bit confusing with the numbers.

450 gpu 600 mem and its downclocked to 400 gpu and 550 mem

thapickle
01-23-2010, 03:12 PM
Ive read these forums and posted and i thought i would share what did it for me. I dont think its the driver version or any of that crap. I had the same exact crashes in all Unreal 3 engine games from Bioshock, Bordlerlands, Batman Arkham Asylum, and pretty much any other UT3 engine game. I finally read something on a Bioshock forum that said You should underclock your gpu core and mem. For some reason at certain clock speeds it causes the crash (black screen loss of signal to monitor, sometimes sound stuttering in background). I am actually using a laptop. Sony Vaio FW series. It has a ATI mobility radeon 4650. I am unable to alter the fan speed separately so that fix never worked. My stock speeds on the laptop video are 450 gpu core and 600 for memory. I downclocked from to 400 and 550 respectively and for 2 weeks I have not had one single crash in Batman or Borderlands or Bioshock. I am super thrilled and I hope this fixes someone else's issues.
Oh I have core 2 duo p7350 6gb ddr2 mobility radeon hd 4650 512mb catalayst 9.1 modded with mobility modder (so i can install the desktop drivers on my notebook) and windows 7 64 bit.

squirrel_jocky
08-20-2010, 10:54 PM
I have an Eah4890 2min then crash :(

NickIsCool91
08-21-2010, 02:18 AM

this

running catalyst 10.6

havent had any problems yet

redfortune
01-12-2011, 10:58 AM

I got the same laptop, and the same problems. Currently my solution is to put the card power settings in the control panel (advanced power settings in power plan, control panel) in "maximum battery life" instead of "maximum performance". I can survive gaming, but then my graphics stutters therefore I am not happy with my gaming experience.
SO...
Teach me how to how to underclock, please...

kebabsoup
02-02-2011, 07:28 PM
Mhhh never had that problem before, didnt even have this problem yesterday. And now, today I keep crashing every ~20 mins or so. I didn't have any updates/installs/messing around in between.

I'm on Win7 64x
4GB ram
AMD Phenom X6
HD4780

Maybe it's a coincidence, but I wasnt able to connect to online games anymore, usually it works well, I actually almost only play online. Weird....I'll try again tomorrow.

Winterkid
02-02-2011, 08:14 PM
To my mind, the most sense would be to slightly underclock the GPU and put the video card Fan speed up to max. See if that helps

kebabsoup
02-03-2011, 05:01 PM
Ok...now this is totally weird....yesterday I crashed 4 times, every ~20 mins. Today I was able to play 2 hours non-stop.

It has something to do with planet alignements and santa claus' mood I guess.

depzoo
04-18-2011, 10:53 AM
Ok...now this is totally weird....yesterday I crashed 4 times, every ~20 mins. Today I was able to play 2 hours non-stop.

It has something to do with planet alignements and santa claus' mood I guess.

same here.

any fix yet?