PDA

View Full Version : Valve, Remove DING Sounds....We're Not Dumb

Keithustus
10-27-2009, 07:14 AM
I've just been playing the campaign, obviously, but that annoying as hell and distracting as hell DING DING DING DING sound comes up every time one of my teammates gets hit by a special infected. Keep L4D2 like L4D1, ok? NO DING SOUNDS! Especially in Versus Mode, my teammates and I KNOW we're giving/taking SI damage, so I'd like to actually hear the GAME sounds, and not some artificial distraction that drowns out what I need to hear (hunters pouncing/clawing, teammates reloading, etc.).

NO DING IN VERSUS, please?

Like L4D1! It was perfect. Don't change.

StickZer0
10-27-2009, 07:19 AM
I thought L4D1 DID have ding sounds. Well, you learn something new every day...

tad604
10-27-2009, 07:24 AM
I didn't hear any dinging sounds... or maybe I just didn't notice?

Keithustus
10-27-2009, 07:33 AM
I thought L4D1 DID have ding sounds. Well, you learn something new every day...

Only the PC version did, but they could delete the .wav or whatever if they wanted to. We will have to endure and lose the ability to HEAR the game in L4D2 since we can't do that.

I didn't hear any dinging sounds... or maybe I just didn't notice?

Let the jockey/smoker/charger/hunter smack on someone for a couple seconds or more instead of freeing them instantly.

loonigs360
10-27-2009, 08:09 AM
Valve, do NOT listen to this man. I'm pro-ding, but make it optional.

Aelok
10-27-2009, 08:12 AM
Any bonus indicator to the player that another player is in trouble aside from the already given sound effects of that SI attacking that player is a BAD IDEA in PvP modes, and hopefully won't be there in versus or scavenge.

peteypiranha128
10-27-2009, 09:26 AM
No ding in realism mode.
Simple as that.

Sukorshadow
10-27-2009, 09:31 AM
Here is an idea. Get the pc version you can remove the ding sounds if you want.

peteypiranha128
10-27-2009, 09:39 AM

oh my god... will people just shut up.
We get it, the PC's better.

tad604
10-27-2009, 09:43 AM
I recently bought the pc version of l4d just to play with the editor.. I'll probably shell out for the pc version l4d2 (when they have a sale and when the sdk/editor is confirmed). My mac-mini probably isn't really beefy enough to play the game though. Maybe when I get Windows 7 and the windows partition can see all the memory it will work better or maybe after finishing a decent map I'll build a gaming pc.

I know cooly story? right bro?

Sukorshadow
10-27-2009, 09:50 AM
I recently bought the pc version of l4d just to play with the editor.. I'll probably shell out for the pc version l4d2 (when they have a sale and when the sdk/editor is confirmed). My mac-mini probably isn't really beefy enough to play the game though. Maybe when I get Windows 7 and the windows partition can see all the memory it will work better or maybe after finishing a decent map I'll build a gaming pc.

I know cooly story? right bro?

L4D is built on the source engine which is build on the goldsorc engine which was build on the QUAKE engine. It doesn't take a super comp to run Valve games.

ShoeMaster
10-27-2009, 09:56 AM
L4D is built on the source engine which is build on the goldsorc engine which was build on the QUAKE engine. It doesn't take a super comp to run Valve games.

Tf2 begs to differ. :mad:

tad604
10-27-2009, 10:00 AM

No, but for it to run and look nicer than it does on my xbox 360, I probably need something better than my mac mini.

I kind of want a workstation for development work anyways. Either a Mac pro (if money falls from the sky) or a custom built pc with one of the new lynnfield core i7's.

Keithustus
10-27-2009, 10:06 AM
Any bonus indicator to the player that another player is in trouble aside from the already given sound effects of that SI attacking that player is a BAD IDEA in PvP modes, and hopefully won't be there in versus or scavenge.

Exactly. ....

As posted on the PC forums a sec ago..... (http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?p=11702409#post11702409)

Valve, please remove the DING sounds from L4D2, especially the Versus mode (both as infected and especially as survivor). Keep L4D2 like xbox L4D1, [I own and play BOTH] ok? NO DING SOUNDS! Especially in Versus Mode....

1. My teammates and I KNOW we're giving/taking SI damage, so I'd like to actually hear the GAME sounds (see below). Dings provide NO information that I am not already provided from the interface, and actually makes receiving useful information more difficult. Dings drown out useful information.

2. Playing survivor, there's already a perfectly acceptable way to see who is taking how much damage: watch halos and the life deplete on the GUI. Just like on L4D1 Xbox, here's what I WANT to HEAR when playing: 1) my teammates, 2) hunters pouncing/clawing, smokers extending their tongues, boomers spawning, etc., and 3) teammates reloading and using items. Note there was no ding there.

3. As infected, there's already a perfectly acceptable way to see who is doing how much damage: the upper-left corner score tallies, but who really cares? It's a team game, so I'd really rather not be bothered by the score, which is why it's so great NOT hearing the dings in L4D1. Here's what I WANT to HEAR when I'm playing as infected: 1) my teammates, 2) survivor characters talking, 3) survivors reloading or using pipebombs, etc. Note there was no ding in there.

4. If you can't already tell from the game sounds or from your teammate screaming in his mic "GET THE HUNTER OFF ME" that you're supposed to be saving him, you need to play the game more, instead of asking Valve to give you a warning sound for dummies. If you are waiting to attack with your infected until the survivors are already taking damage, perhaps your teamwork and coordination needs some rethinking as well.

L4D1 has perfect sound for versus mode on xbox, and on PC if you delete the ding sound files; you hear gunfire, your teammates, and the SI sounds. There's no need for any sound that interferes with your being able to hear those. The dings make it more difficult to hear the important sounds (boomer spawn, smoker tonguing, etc.), and provides NO extra information that you don't already have. Keep the dings OUT of L4D2!

At least on PC I can delete the audio file, but I shouldn't have to. On my xbox copy of L4D1, I feel we've been fortunate and favored to not have those annoying-as-hell and distracting-as-hell DING DING DING DING sound comes up every time a survivor gets hit by a special infected. Sound was perfect on xbox L4D1! Don't change it. NO DINGS IN VERSUS, please?

Are people really so inept as to not know when they're causing or taking SI damage?

Keithustus
10-27-2009, 11:01 AM
Follow-up to naive PC players on their forum suggesting to get "good headphones":

Turtle Beach X31. $100.

And everything sounds perfect.....because there are NO dings.

For those of you with no attention span, I'll write again:

I play mostly on xbox, where there are NO dings, and it is wonderful.

When I play on PC, even with good headphones (Sennheiser), it's ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ annoying to have to weed through those bastar sounds to hear what I want to hear: my teammates, and the in-game sounds.

Yes, I can delete or replace the sound files, ON MY PC VERSION, but on my xbox version, we've enjoyed having NO DINGS for the last year, and now get them thrust upon us by L4D2 like a ecstacy-popping elderly hooker.

Make them optional? Fine. Get rid of them? Fine. Leave them intact and make the game more annoying, more aggravating, for everyone, no matter what? NO.

Runningdude08
10-27-2009, 12:09 PM

Don't you have your own l4d2 platform specific forum? Oh yeah you do.

Sykopathic
10-27-2009, 12:11 PM
I didn't like them at first the bloob noise in particular, however they've grown on me already. Make it an option yea but I say leave em.

Bellcross
10-27-2009, 01:34 PM
we have the DING sounds in L4D2?? sweetness cant wait to play VS now to hear ding,ding,ding,ding,ding when i get a good boom on

gaugebozo
10-27-2009, 01:43 PM
I guess I wouldn't have such a problem if you are the infected and you hear dings because sounds are not so important for SI, but please not for the survivors. At least put in an option to turn it off.

BenzoMay
10-27-2009, 01:55 PM
I thought the ding plays when you protect someone, doesn't happen that often, live with it.

Mushroom Scoot
10-27-2009, 03:31 PM
Pro ding here.
Ignore the OP.

nygamer28
10-27-2009, 03:35 PM
I've just been playing the campaign, obviously, but that annoying as hell and distracting as hell DING DING DING DING sound comes up every time one of my teammates gets hit by a special infected. Keep L4D2 like L4D1, ok? NO DING SOUNDS! Especially in Versus Mode, my teammates and I KNOW we're giving/taking SI damage, so I'd like to actually hear the GAME sounds, and not some artificial distraction that drowns out what I need to hear (hunters pouncing/clawing, teammates reloading, etc.).

NO DING IN VERSUS, please?

Like L4D1! It was perfect. Don't change.

MAN WHAT THE HELL YOUR TALKING ABOUT,ITS NOT ANNOYING,ALSO CHANGE THE SOUND LEVELS IN THE OPTIONS MENU(AND THEIR NOT GONNA TAKE IT OUT CAUSE OF A WHINEY GAMER LIKE YOU

BR5555
10-27-2009, 05:11 PM
On a related note, we don't need the survivors to comment on how the "bulletproof" uncommon infected are wearing armor every single time one of them appears.

Coach: THESE ZOMBIES ARE BULLETPROOF
Nick: THESE ZOMBIES ARE WEARING ARMOR?!
Ellis: THESE ZOMBIES ARE BULLETPROOF
Rochelle: SHOOT THE ARMORED ZOMBIES IN THE BACK

Maow
10-27-2009, 11:46 PM
Ditto, it ruins the atmosphere and screams of noob training wheels being attached to the game at the expense of these who dont need their hands held.

mike90t09
10-28-2009, 12:38 AM
I love the bloop, bleep, ding noises. So I say make them an option.

Keithustus
10-28-2009, 12:42 AM
MAN WHAT THE HELL YOUR TALKING ABOUT,ITS NOT ANNOYING,ALSO CHANGE THE SOUND LEVELS IN THE OPTIONS MENU(AND THEIR NOT GONNA TAKE IT OUT CAUSE OF A WHINEY GAMER LIKE YOU

Wow, anger issues much?

Please visit the audio options yourself, and you will see that you cannot specifically change the volume level of specific sounds, only those of the "game sounds" v. music.

WHY ADD EXTRA SOUNDS, GUYS? OUR version of L4D1 is superior because we hear the GAME sounds, not ♥♥♥♥ty point-calculating distracting bull♥♥♥♥.

insane521
10-28-2009, 12:57 AM
Wow, anger issues much?

Please visit the audio options yourself, and you will see that you cannot specifically change the volume level of specific sounds, only those of the "game sounds" v. music.

WHY ADD EXTRA SOUNDS, GUYS? OUR version of L4D1 is superior because we hear the GAME sounds, not ♥♥♥♥ty point-calculating distracting bull♥♥♥♥.

lol sure keith.

I am pretty sure the pubs hearing the ding can let everyone know when the common have hit the targets so they can go in thus resulting in better cordination and more fun in pubs. Wait till l4d2 is in your xbox before you QQ lol.

Tek Wangsen
10-28-2009, 03:40 AM
OP
//signed

+ rep

ForbidAn
10-28-2009, 06:26 AM
There is a ding sound for doing anything that rewards points:
Protecting someone
Giving Pain Pills/Syringe
Using Med Pack on either yourself or someone else.

I'm not sure of my opinion on it yet though.

tad604
10-28-2009, 06:32 AM
Ok now that I listened for them and can hear them. Please put me down as against ding sounds. Or pro configurable sounds.

spikeyroxas
10-28-2009, 06:42 AM
I personnally havnt noticed si hit dings
only protection dings but i dont mind them...

KickButtUnngoy
10-28-2009, 08:08 AM
Don't mind, sound fine.
Rewards for teamwork should be given, because that's what the game is focused on.

Keithustus
10-28-2009, 07:42 PM
Don't mind, sound fine.
Rewards for teamwork should be given, because that's what the game is focused on.

Wait until "Damn! I couldn't hear the boomer spawn. ♥♥♥♥ing dinging!" happens.

EinsamFechter 1
10-28-2009, 08:12 PM
the ding is just a waste. I mean if you can not tell when things happen in the game you are playing, you have problems. The ding does nothing tell you again that you did something that it flashed on the screen. It should be optional so those of us that can afford to pay attention can turn it off.

Kemdrath
10-28-2009, 08:47 PM
Yeah, so you don't need the ding.

But I like it! It's just so...satisfying.

Bellcross
10-28-2009, 10:25 PM
I like it! It's just so...satisfying.

this is why I like it also In VS now eveytime a round ends we get to hear the Ding,ding,ding, sounds as our points go up :D

rpalace
10-28-2009, 10:30 PM
There is a ding sound for doing anything that rewards points:
Protecting someone
Giving Pain Pills/Syringe
Using Med Pack on either yourself or someone else.

I'm not sure of my opinion on it yet though.

Take out dings on protecting someone. It really confuses the hell out of me. It does sound a lot like the Xbox tone.

Bellcross
10-28-2009, 10:39 PM
You guys do know that the PC also has this sound right? in fact they have this sound in L4D1 if we had it at the start I bet you, wouldn't be complaining about the sound.

Keithustus
10-28-2009, 11:13 PM
Bell, please read the thread before adding information that was already well covered. As mentioned above, L4D1 is better than the PC version almost simply because there is no ding in ours.

For those who find it satisfying, is the game that boring for you, that you can't get satisfaction from beating a good team? If so, find better opponents (http://gamebattles.com/xbox360/left-4-dead/ladder/team). How does a sound that makes important game sounds muffled add to the enjoyment?

thecreepout
10-29-2009, 12:31 AM

♥♥♥♥ off back to the PC forums. Moron.

Tek Wangsen
10-30-2009, 01:20 AM
screams not dings

Quietshow
10-30-2009, 02:54 AM
I've played the demo many times and I've never really felt like the ding noises were obtrusive to the point that many posters are claiming. Perhaps I've simply filtered them out when I was concentrating. Usually, all I hear are firearm reports, growls, screams, S.I. sounds, and mic chatter. Now that I'm hyperaware of the dings I hope I don't get fixated on them like some of you seem to be. :eek:

Mike_Bson
10-30-2009, 04:18 AM
Don't mind, sound fine.

Um, the dinging is a reward in no way.

It's not that loud. . . .

tad604
10-30-2009, 04:49 AM
Um, the dinging is a reward in no way.

It's not that loud. . . .

maybe he's been conditioned like Pavlov's dogs? He hears the in game ding and starts drooling?

The Charger
10-30-2009, 05:24 AM

So you missed the caption saying '[Boomer Alert]', the '[Boomer Groan]', '[Boomer Rage]' on screen, as well as the music cue for the boomer, his very loud gurgling...

There's about 1000 entries warning you of a boomer when he spawns and when he's still alive. The dings are great.

Keithustus
10-30-2009, 06:35 AM
I'm not going to play with captions on. That's why I have ears and expensive headphones. And yes, the dings DO become quite distracting when the competition is fierce and every second matters in identifying and locating every sound. Go try to play a serious game of L4D on PC with the dings and you'll see that. It's one of the reasons I rarely play my PC copy compared to my Xbox copy.

DrkBlueXG
10-30-2009, 12:56 PM
On a related note, we don't need the survivors to comment on how the "bulletproof" uncommon infected are wearing armor every single time one of them appears.

Ellis: THESE ZOMBIES ARE BULLETPROOF

Agreed, I have noticed this and it is very annoying. Along with the DING sounds. Totally worthless.

ESG Griefer
10-30-2009, 01:17 PM
Hey guys, I just found a small annoyance that me and my friends happen to care about, just wanted to post on the forums about the fact that the water is half an inch too low, obviously not making the start saferoom a possible theory.

NUMB3RS
11-04-2009, 01:40 AM
ive played pc and 360 versoins of l4d 1 and never noticed dings on pc version LOL oh well i shall post back if a get annoyed :p LETS START A PETITion or somthing just saying there should be an option for the dingin noise :P :P :P
;p

NUMB3RS
11-04-2009, 01:41 AM
lol duble posted so now i have to edit and put somthing

Keithustus
11-04-2009, 04:52 AM
Actually, this forum lets you delete your own posts. Just go to "edit" then look for the "delete" option. Great for when you accidentally double post.

HeavyVeaponsGuy
11-04-2009, 08:15 AM
I hated the dings in pc l4d1 and now it's in my Xbox l4d2. GAH.

I advertised GameBattles.
Well, some things never change. The old you is shining through.

How about I don't, and if you don't like tha', I stab ya in the gums with me screwdrivah?!

Rep to the person who gets the reference.

Ninja53595
11-04-2009, 02:59 PM
So you missed the caption saying '[Boomer Alert]', the '[Boomer Groan]', '[Boomer Rage]' on screen, as well as the music cue for the boomer, his very loud gurgling...

There's about 1000 entries warning you of a boomer when he spawns and when he's still alive. The dings are great.

I play on subtitles only and still hear boomers over dings

guess he's just going deaf.

sloppinjoe
11-04-2009, 06:31 PM
VALVe, dont listen to these noobs. The dings are fine :)

Keithustus
11-04-2009, 10:46 PM
Sloppinjoe, we've had a great year of ding-free L4D. Why do you want to mess up perfection?

slayer013
11-05-2009, 12:17 AM
Make it an option. If you like it turn it on. If not...you get the picture. I hate when games stick you with crap like that. Not having full customization of controls is another example. Now some freak will tell me to go and buy a pc because it let would let me make the controls however I want them.:eek:

Keithustus
11-18-2009, 01:43 PM
Make it an option.

Okay, Valve. We've had our chance to play for a day or so now, and we're disappointed there is no option to disable the ding sounds, especially when we're playing as infected. GIVE US THE POWER. DINGS ARE TERRIBLE.

Copperskull
11-18-2009, 08:53 PM
I agree the dings are loud and distracting. I wish there was more control over the volume of the dings, such as another slider in the audio controls for "notification noises." I would like them a lot more if they were more of a background noise, but at their current volume level, they just kind of take over. On another note, I'm annoyed by how similar the jockey's hands and the spitter's hands are. Sure, a box pops up and tells you what you're spawning as when you jump into ghost mode, but what about when you insta-spawn during finales? If you spawn right around the corner from the survivors, you may think fast and try to jump on a survivor's back only to watch in dismay as a ball of spit flies miles past them.

Bellcross
11-18-2009, 10:24 PM
keep them I like hear the dings when I spitt my acid and they all get hit. such a wonderfull sound ding,ding,ding,ding,ding,ding,ding

JigsawJesus
11-19-2009, 02:15 AM
I LOVE THE DING SOUNDS!

it's just like "HELL YEAH"!

KickButtUnngoy
11-19-2009, 04:00 AM
Okay, Valve. We've had our chance to play for a day or so now, and we're disappointed there is no option to disable the ding sounds, especially when we're playing as infected. GIVE US THE POWER. DINGS ARE TERRIBLE.

4/6 of the infected give you no control over your actions when the dings are happening, and there are 1-2 ding per minute as survivor. I use headphones when playing (and I rely constantly on sound to alert me to SI, CI, or survivors around me) and I have no problem with it.

Leave em in.

Keithustus
11-19-2009, 06:05 AM
4/6 of the infected give you no control over your actions when the dings are happening, and there are 1-2 ding per minute as survivor. I use headphones when playing (and I rely constantly on sound to alert me to SI, CI, or survivors around me) and I have no problem with it.

Leave em in.

Apparently we're playing different games, because in mine, I still have control over the most important action when dinging as infected: communication. But talking to and hearing my teammates is degraded in L4D2, but not L4D1, when attacking, because of all the dings.

PC players have an option to eliminate the sound (delete the sound file). Why can't we?

BR5555
11-19-2009, 10:32 AM
If your team can't hear you talking over the dinging sound, they need to not have their volume up so loud. It's not nearly as loud as you're making it out to be.

Wahey
11-19-2009, 10:33 AM
i like the dings
i dont know why.
It's wierd :)

Cyphilis
11-19-2009, 10:55 AM
I don't mind the dinging when I am playing versus,.. helps me know when I landed some spit in the correct place. However on campaign, it is very annoying. I to wish there was an option to turn it on and off.

Copperskull
11-19-2009, 03:05 PM
I would rather see a "Notification sounds" volume slider in the audio settings than a simple on/off setting. I wouldn't mind leaving the dinging in, but I wish it were quieter. There are times it seems to take over the speakers. I play with Dolby turned on, so maybe it seems louder to me because it plays over all audio channels? Not sure if it does, but I just thought of that. Ultimately, if you're playing with headphones, you could turn the game's master volume down to help you hear voice chat better. You may lose the ability to hear distant infected, but it would help with team communication.

LiarCake
11-19-2009, 05:04 PM
I like the dings a lot.

There's something satifying about seeing 'LIARCAKE hit PLAYER x123456789101213141516171819' on my screen following an assault as the Spitter--I don't have to be out in the open, yet I get to know if I'm hurting someone.

Also, the dings are pretty handy when someone is getting killed and I manage to ignore the dramatic audio cue that would normally advise me to help them.

I would still like to have the dings, even if they magically become optional--which I'm not opposed to.

Keithustus
11-19-2009, 08:02 PM
Also, the dings are pretty handy when someone is getting killed and I manage to ignore the dramatic audio cue that would normally advise me to help them.

Huh? Confused. What do you mean by that? If you mean while playing as survivor, the dings you hear as survivor are for helping people, not them taking damage from SI.

PastorPooPoo
11-20-2009, 01:33 PM
I can see that Valve might want to cater to the masses by placing pleasing dings every time a surviver does something right and im ok with that. I can also see why they can put a Ding in to teach less experienced players what to look out for when something is wrong. Imok with that too.

BUT. There are a large group of people that play this game competetively and they wish it had less distracting noises and captions. Valve gave us the ability to play without captions and we thank them for that. They gave us realism mode to really show our stuff. Thanks for that as well. So with that in mind, can Valve PLEASE give us an option to turn sound Ques off!

I have always been a big fan of hearing all the awesome sounds L4D had to offer. I could hear a bum fight across the parking lot behind the dumpster and i was totally immersed in the action. Now it feels like a circus game of shoot the zombie baby.

I want a ding that tells me when the fight is over at the end of the round, and you can keep the other dings to yourselves!

Other than that, GREAT GAME AND THANK YOU VALVE!!

biggest fan,
PooPoo