View Single Post
Old 03-21-2011, 09:09 PM   #16
HugePinball

Here ya go guys:
Quote:
*EDIT: Just a reminder, this bug was NOT fixed by the patch - so unless you're willing to complete these playthroughs in a single game session, this is how to get those rewards.

As you probably know, currently on PC you don't get the reward items unlocked for Zealot and Hard Core playthroughs as intended (apparently unless you complete each of those playthroughs in a single game session - I haven't been able to test that myself). Here is a simple fix to get those items unlocked in your game exactly as they should be (will be available in any store for free, in any loaded game) - no need to use edited saves or additional files.

You'll simply be changing some values in your settings.txt file. It's located in "C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\Local Settings\Application Data\EA Games\Dead Space 2\" on XP or in "C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\EA Games\Dead Space 2\" on Windows 7 or Vista.

The two settings you're looking for are Controls.AcL.X and Controls.AcL.Y. These values are used to track your achievement/trophy completion - I'll only mention the three achievements related to item unlocks.

I'd suggest converting the hexadecimal values to binary (can use the Windows Calculator in scientific view), so you can verify the flags aren't already set, and it can be easier to understand and get your new values as well. I'll use these values from some normal gameplay as an example:

Controls.AcL.X = 0xFFA5FF7E
Controls.AcL.Y = 0x000717AF

in binary, with the bits of interest indicated:
Code:
Controls.AcL.X = 1111 1111 1010 0101 1111 1111 0111 1110
                                  ^^
Controls.AcL.Y = 0000 0000 0000 0111 0001 0111 1010 1111
                                      ^
Here's what those three bits do:

Controls.AcL.X, bit 16:
Achievement: Made Us Whole
Description: Complete the game on any difficulty setting
Unlocks: Riot Security Suit
* this one works as it should - if you've completed the game, it should already be set
* this is also what puts the completed Marker in the main menu
* also needed to unlock Hard Core mode, along with Game.PDiff = 1 and Game.Played = 1

Controls.AcL.X, bit 17:
Achievement: Mission Impossible
Description: Complete the game on Zealot difficulty setting
Unlocks: Arctic Security Suit

Controls.AcL.Y, bit 14:
Achievement: Hard to the Core
Description: Complete the game on Hard Core difficulty setting
Unlocks: Soldier Suit, Hand Cannon

So let's say I want the Arctic Suit, obviously because I've just completed the game on Zealot difficulty. In the Controls.AcL.X value I'll flip bit 17 to 1:
Code:
Controls.AcL.X = 1111 1111 1010 0111 1111 1111 0111 1110
                                  ^
converted back to hex, this is:

Controls.AcL.X = 0xFFA7FF7E

Put that new value into settings.txt and save it, and now the Arctic Suit will show up in stores just like the Riot Suit did.
HugePinball is offline   Reply With Quote