Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Broken Sword series

Old 12-03-2009, 12:53 PM   #1
Mitsukayoi

BS2: missing intro

So I loaded up the steam version of bs2, and instead of an intro it said 'go to scummvm.org and download the videos.' Shouldn't those be on steam already? I'll try the dxa pack for bs2 from the scummvm website and edit this post if that works out.

EDIT: go to scummvm.org and get the broken sword 2 cutscene pack from their website. extract the files into your main directory for the game in your steam folder. cutscenes run fine after that. not sure why steam didn't include a note or the files themselves.

Last edited by Mitsukayoi: 12-03-2009 at 01:22 PM.
Old 12-04-2009, 10:09 AM   #2
^DJ_Link^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitsukayoi View Post
So I loaded up the steam version of bs2, and instead of an intro it said 'go to scummvm.org and download the videos.' Shouldn't those be on steam already? I'll try the dxa pack for bs2 from the scummvm website and edit this post if that works out.

EDIT: go to scummvm.org and get the broken sword 2 cutscene pack from their website. extract the files into your main directory for the game in your steam folder. cutscenes run fine after that. not sure why steam didn't include a note or the files themselves.
Wf..?? They really don't care about customers. I buy on steam because I have confidence that I can delete my games and re download them. What happens if that site with the videos stops distributing them? damn
^DJ_Link^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 08:44 AM   #3
Gone'Postal

Banned
Was shocked to not get the videos as well

Thanks steam!

Here for the Video Pack.

Thanks ^DJ_Link^ for a quick fix as well!.

It's the 111Mb file thats needed and they need to be extracted to:

\Steam\steamapps\common\broken sword 2

and it works fine

Last edited by Gone'Postal: 12-07-2009 at 09:12 AM. Reason: Updated with the Filesize needed to download and the location for extraction. Full credit to DJ_Link.
Gone'Postal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 12:31 PM   #4
Flexzi

In terms of availability I can only agree with you, but it ain't that bad. Believe me, if the site were taken offline (which I doubt, it's SCUMMVM people!) Steam would probably just put up a link from one of their own servers or put it up for grabs in the "tools" section.

It doesn't help shouting "what if..?" over thing like this, since the truth is: it isn't. so there's no problem.

However, the lack of the vids on steam themselves does take away that special service feeling I usualy get when buying games or starting steam...shame.
Old 12-16-2009, 11:21 AM   #5
Aura891

Why do you guys blantantly blame steam for something steam has no control over? Steam did not go to "Kalypso Media Digital" and grab this game, delete the videos, and then host it on steam as a game you can buy, that's not how it works at all

Kalypso Media Digital decided to sell this game on steam, and gave valve/steam all the necessary files to have the game run, steam will only provide us customers what the publisher/developer of the game provides, so if you want these videos without having to go to a website for them, then ask Kalypso Media Digital, they are the ones who took the videos out, or did not provide them, for a reason that is unknown to us ATM, but the problem is SOLELY on them, and not steam/valve, as they did not make this game

You guys blaming valve is like blaming Walmart that you bought a re-release of a game, and the re-release did not have the videos for some reason on the disc, like the original release did, how exactly would that be walmarts fault? same applies here

Last edited by Aura891: 12-16-2009 at 11:38 AM.
Aura891 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 12:32 AM   #6
Robrecht

As far as I can tell, the movies are actually in the 'extras' folder in the Steam BS2 folder already. So they're included, just not 'installed'.

Which is, I assume, related to how the files were sent to Valve.
Robrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 04:11 PM   #7
naber31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robrecht View Post
As far as I can tell, the movies are actually in the 'extras' folder in the Steam BS2 folder already. So they're included, just not 'installed'.

Yeah you're absolutely right about this, the files we needed are stay in that folder already, just select them all and copy-paste them into main directory. Thx for the heads up!
naber31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 01:49 PM   #8
Blarg Blargson

Quote:

...Now that there is what I call a design flaw. I wonder why Valve doesn't simply alter their BS2 package a little bit to rearrange the files? It doesn't sound like it would require much work... Then again, BS2 hasn't been on this site that long.
Blarg Blargson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 01:30 AM   #9
Perpetual

Quote:

Oh for the love of god. The Steam employees that were responsible for BS2 are pathetic. A single playtest would have brought this bug to light. A warning on the store page that this product is incomplete, or a sticky in the thread, is all I ask. This is the second game I've had to resort to community support to get working properly. And yet, the community isn't where my purchasing dollars go. Boo, Steam, boo.
Perpetual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 10:56 AM   #10
Aura891

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perpetual View Post
Oh for the love of god. The Steam employees that were responsible for BS2 are pathetic. A single playtest would have brought this bug to light. A warning on the store page that this product is incomplete, or a sticky in the thread, is all I ask. This is the second game I've had to resort to community support to get working properly. And yet, the community isn't where my purchasing dollars go. Boo, Steam, boo.
lol wow you realize VALVE IS NOT ALLOWED TO CHANGE WHAT WAY THE GAME IS PRESENTED TO THEM AS THAT WOULD BE ILLEGAL right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RikuoAmero View Post
random rambling
You do not understand simple logic so i guess that sucks for you but there's no need for you to post a large post, thanks anyways for trying
Old 07-05-2010, 11:01 AM   #11
Kobra

Guess who wasn't paying attention and installed the first game cutscenes instead.

But yeah steam needs to include these files.
Kobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 12:15 AM   #12
RikuoAmero

Banned
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aura891 View Post
Why do you guys blantantly blame steam for something steam has no control over? Steam did not go to "Kalypso Media Digital" and grab this game, delete the videos, and then host it on steam as a game you can buy, that's not how it works at all

Kalypso Media Digital decided to sell this game on steam, and gave valve/steam all the necessary files to have the game run, steam will only provide us customers what the publisher/developer of the game provides, so if you want these videos without having to go to a website for them, then ask Kalypso Media Digital, they are the ones who took the videos out, or did not provide them, for a reason that is unknown to us ATM, but the problem is SOLELY on them, and not steam/valve, as they did not make this game

You guys blaming valve is like blaming Walmart that you bought a re-release of a game, and the re-release did not have the videos for some reason on the disc, like the original release did, how exactly would that be walmarts fault? same applies here
Um maybe because I have never once come across a legit company selling me a game but only to find its missing half the content? If it said on the Steam Store page "Sorry but due to insane ing licencing laws and/or Kalypso Digital's half a brain, there are no cutscenes included with this game". No, advertising laws the world over state that goods must match the description. The screenshots on the Store page are from the cutscenes. Ergo, I expected to get the cutscenes.
What if you saw an ad for a car where it showed a cool cd player? And then you bought the car, only to learn afterward that there is no cd player?

"re-release did not have the videos for some reason on the disc, like the original release did". Because it is described as a re-release. Does it say the videos are gone? No! Did I own it before and expected to get precisely the same experience as before? So if I bought a re-release of say Disney's Snow White on DVD, and only get the audio. Sorry bud, but here in Ireland at least, when I buy something from someone, we have a contract, I give money and I get the product as described. Not get a game, install it, only to realize that half the content is missing, without warning.

Last edited by RikuoAmero: 07-03-2010 at 12:19 AM.
RikuoAmero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 01:24 AM   #13
Boff

I completely agree.

This is a customer service thing.

You buy a product, you want to have access to that product.

Not rely on a third party site, which is based on enthusiasts input (no offence to the scummVM people as they have been the living thumping heart of the "adventure game scene" between it's death and rebirth.)

But the scummVM people are not an affiliated company, nor have any particular rights, they've been living under fear that they are hacking orignal material to provide some measure of support to get it up and running on modern systems.

But it's really bad customer service for a company to do this.
But this isn't the first time a company selling through steam has launched a nerf'ed version of it. (sq3 is missing the correct soundblaster driver to give sampled sound effects (of which i've circulated), and it even worked for one of the kings quests games as well apparently.

When you buy on steam you expect it to at least work out of the (digital) box, not start trawling through the internet to find the files you are missing. Naturally our beef isn't with steam more valve but more the publishers.

Last edited by Boff: 01-23-2010 at 01:29 AM.
Boff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 12:28 PM   #14
Aura891

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boff View Post
I completely agree.

This is a customer service thing.

You buy a product, you want to have access to that product.

Not rely on a third party site, which is based on enthusiasts input (no offence to the scummVM people as they have been the living thumping heart of the "adventure game scene" between it's death and rebirth.)

But the scummVM people are not an affiliated company, nor have any particular rights, they've been living under fear that they are hacking orignal material to provide some measure of support to get it up and running on modern systems.

But it's really bad customer service for a company to do this.
But this isn't the first time a company selling through steam has launched a nerf'ed version of it. (sq3 is missing the correct soundblaster driver to give sampled sound effects (of which i've circulated), and it even worked for one of the kings quests games as well apparently.

When you buy on steam you expect it to at least work out of the (digital) box, not start trawling through the internet to find the files you are missing. Naturally our beef isn't with steam more valve but more the publishers.
apparently you didn't read this thread and find out that the videos are in this game, but for some reason in the wrong folder
Old 08-03-2010, 07:44 AM   #15
TheJoe

Quick update for you:
The latest version of ScummVM supports the original Smacker cutscenes. If those are included with the Steam version of Broken Sword (I don't own it), all you need to do is download the Windows zipfile of ScummVM and replace scummvm.exe (wherever it is in the Steam folder) with the one from the zipfile. I also recommend replacing SDL.dll.

You're looking for the .smk files to see if the cutscenes are there.

If the .smk files are not in the Steam version, you will need to keep downloading them. I would recommend updating ScummVM, regardless.

I will also suggest that anyone reading this buys Broken Sword II from GOG.com instead of Steam for less hassle.
TheJoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Broken Sword series