Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > H - L > James Cameronís Avatar: The Game

Old 12-04-2009, 05:37 AM   #1
Fatality1963

For those who have the full game, do you like it?

I've read enough of the official game reviews. Now I would like to know what people who actually have the full game think of it. Do you like it? What you think means more to me than what reviewers who are paid to write about the game think.

Thanks
Old 12-04-2009, 08:21 AM   #2
Ragnokak

Yes, its not ground shattering or something I would "write home about", but the gameplay is good and the graphics are great. Its not perfect, there are some minor things here and there like water graphics don't always "flow" properly over elevation changes.

I would recommend it if your not limited to just buying one game over the next 2-3 months.
Ragnokak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 01:03 PM   #3
OGkush&CO

Banned
Although there is not a demo on the Steam page, you can find demos for it online. I believe I got mine from Gamershell.
OGkush&CO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 11:32 PM   #4
bes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnokak View Post
Yes, its not ground shattering or something I would "write home about", but the gameplay is good and the graphics are great. Its not perfect, there are some minor things here and there like water graphics don't always "flow" properly over elevation changes.

I would recommend it if your not limited to just buying one game over the next 2-3 months.
My wife bought me this game for my birthday...since I have been talking about going to see the movie..

Im actually enjoying it and the graphics are very cool(awesome! crystal clear at maxed out settings!).. I dont really understand the negativity with this game at all..

Yes the game has bugs like any other PC game.. people should get a grip and understand that PC games will crash and glitch until they work out all the bugs...unless UBISOFT wont.. since they arent known for their updating of games..

The game crashed 5 times in 12hours of game play ...not a big deal since it saves constantly...just load it back up and play..

My minor bugs are very minor ...like not even worth ing about..

So I agree pretty much with what Ragnokak said
bes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 08:33 AM   #5
Vaemer-Riit

Quote:
Although there is not a demo on the Steam page, you can find demos for it online. I believe I got mine from Gamershell.
Unfortunately the demo is only for the RDA, I had a lot more fun playing as the Na'Vi then the RDA.

All said and done I had a lot of fun with the game.
Vaemer-Riit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 03:58 AM   #6
Freyar

A bit of a Necro, I suppose, but since it's still on the first page, why not.

I spent my first two hours with it, so I'll break it down into two parts.

Singleplayer

First and foremost, this game is definitely a console port. Controls with the mouse and keyboard feel awkward, though aiming is a bit easier with a mouse. The inclusion of a "quick-turn" on the second mouse button is something that irked me until I replaced it with something more useful. However, I do find myself wishing for a scope or combat zoom of some sort.

The visuals are absolutely stunning (as far as environment goes). The use of SpeedTree [wikipedia] is definitely noticeable here, and while I have only seen more jungle here than in Far Cry 2, the reactions by "static" plant life to various effects is enjoyable. This gives the feeling of actually fighting in a jungle, rather than Far Cry 2's habit of making you feel like you are shooting through paper.

Pathing seems a bit strange in some cases. AI pathing for the RDA in their compounds seem a bit confused with the inclusion of gates, looking as if there were some checks forgotten with regards to checkpoints, and it can be a bit glaring while "at home". That said it isn't as much of a problem away from RDA bases, or so it looks like.

The story is pretty "thick" (thick as in mediocre). Sure this is a movie game, but with the game coming out before the movie did (or at least before I have seen it), it's a bit frustrating for the game to assume you know everything. Or worse off, after letting you make a few choices turns around and tells you how evil you are. (You are a naughty child, and should be beaten with a yardstick.)

The general gist of the story so far feels like it has only dug into the absolute surface of the conflict. I want to know who the RDA is, who the Na'vi [youtube] are (although their name alone is enough for me to want to slaughter every single one of them..), what exactly the RDA is doing, and so-on. Instead you are left in the dark with vague clues in a Mass Effect-esque compendium that you must open (pausing the game) each time you want to learn more about the world you're fighting in.

This will be one I'll be able to get through, and later on I may enjoy it immensely. So far, it's proving to be a movie game, but not a horrible one. Think Butcher Bay, only a few steps below that. (For those critical, Escape From Butcher Bay was in fact one of the best "movie" games ever.)

Multiplayer

Logged in, used my key, tried to find a deathmatch. No players... After thirty seconds I was hosting an empty game.

The odd thing about the system is that rather than having a central lobby to tell if anyone is there and where they are fighting, you're taken to a map of Pandora (I hear Borderlands each time I see a Pandora reference..) and you have to select a "zone" which consists of a gametype and map. You can't tell which places have players in them (unless they are ALL empty), so that means finding someone to play with as of yet has been impossible.

---

When it comes to Activation, I'm glad to have read that you get one activation back a month, that's all I really needed.
Freyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 10:12 AM   #7
{Yotsuba}

Quick question, the extra weapons in the special edition of the game, are they available in single player or multi player only?
{Yotsuba} is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 05:50 PM   #8
Freyar

Quote:
Originally Posted by {Yotsuba} View Post
Quick question, the extra weapons in the special edition of the game, are they available in single player or multi player only?
They are available in the singleplayer campaign.
Freyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 09:11 AM   #9
{Yotsuba}

They are available in the singleplayer campaign.

I ended up getting this game a few days ago (to help cheer myself up after getting some very very bad news). Anyhow, how do I know that I have the extra weapons? I tried registering the key to "unlock content" (via the in-game menu) but it tells me the key is already in use =/.
{Yotsuba} is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 09:49 AM   #10
HL2-4-Life

I just tried the demo, caught the movie yesterday which explains my sudden interest, I like it though the controls leave something to be desired. What I love about it is that it has native ultra wide screen support like 5760x1200 (those who have EyeFinity setup would love this!). Runs completely smooth (not surprising since it uses the Dunia engine like FC2) with Ultra setting DX10 + 2xAA.
HL2-4-Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 12:28 PM   #11
JoeB

Thanks for the review Freyar. I heard this has native iz3D support. I might just get this when that monitor I ordered arrives. I will try the demo at least to see how well it fares with iz3D.
JoeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 08:34 PM   #12
Freemon

I really like the game. If you liked the movie (loved in my case) you will surely enjoy the game). Like others said it's a "obvious" console port with some awkward commands, but you will rapidly get over them. The graphics are very very good, the gameplay is fun!
Freemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 09:51 AM   #13
oliath

Banned
But don't you guys feel like its really lacking in a final polish?

It looks wonderful but everything is just so botched together and the story telling is terrible and doesn't flow at all.

For such a great film... with such a great story you would have thought they could at least get something decent out of that.

I am enjoying the game to a point... but i honestly don't think i would be compelled to keep playing if i hadn't paid for the game.

Its a confusing one for me. I kind of enjoy it, but all the elements come together and just feel half arsed. Combat is weak, the plot progression is horribly mechanical and all the set pieces are just unimaginative. It could have been an awesome game but just falls so short its frustrating.
oliath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 10:18 AM   #14
alceste

I think it's worth 25-28 dollars, decide fast
Old 10-09-2010, 05:28 AM   #15
bmxjumperc

yes the game is well made it's not a bad attempt like most games made from Hollywood Movies.
bmxjumperc is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > H - L > James Cameronís Avatar: The Game