Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Star Wars collection > Dark Forces

Old 01-04-2010, 03:36 PM   #1
Gordon He-Man

X-Wing / TIE-Fighter games? Please STEAM?

I know this isn't the right forum for this, but I can't post a new thread in the main Star Wars forum, so I thought I'd stick it here.

No love for these old games?
Make your responces HEARD!!
Old 01-04-2010, 08:10 PM   #2
Sweetz

Given how much people b*tch and moan about the fact that Jedi Knight and KOTOR don't work 100% perfectly on new systems, I wouldn't blame Lucasarts for not releasing the Fighter games simply to avoid having to deal with crap from people who have unreasonable expectations about classic games sold for super cheap prices.

Probably the same people that say they want the game would then whine incessantly about it when they find that the game needs some tweaking to get running on hardware that came out 10+ years after it was released. (imagine that!)

Anyway, there's a general Lucasarts forum here: http://forums.steampowered.com/forum...play.php?f=649
That's the more appropriate place for a thead like this.

Last edited by Sweetz: 01-04-2010 at 08:12 PM.
Sweetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 12:37 AM   #3
MG_Man

TIE Fighter and X-Wing will be much easier to setup than Jedi Knight was, as you don't need to mess around with CD music or dated driver support. All they need to work well is DOSBOX.
MG_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 07:18 PM   #4
rftl

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG_Man View Post
TIE Fighter and X-Wing will be much easier to setup than Jedi Knight was, as you don't need to mess around with CD music or dated driver support. All they need to work well is DOSBOX.

Only if you use the original versions.

The enhanced CD versions used CD Audio.

And the even more enhanced remakes (with the X-Wing vd Tie-Figther engine) are a real pain to get working on a new system.
rftl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 07:53 PM   #5
swaaye

It goes like this
X-Wing floppy
mission pack (Imperial Pursuit)
mission pack (B-Wing)
TIE Fighter floppy
mission pack (Defender of the Empire [TIE Defender])
X-Wing Collector's CD (DOS, voice, TIE floppy engine w/ Gouraud shading, mission packs included)
TIE Fighter Collector's CD (DOS, voice, SVGA, DotE and new Enemies of the Empire campaign [Missile Boat])
X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter (Win95, texture mapped 3D, D3D patch)
X-Wing Collectors Series (XW95, TIE95, XvT demo) (XvT engine for old games, no MIDI, buggy D3D)
X-Wing Alliance (Win95/98, D3D, prettiest of them all)
X-Wing Trilogy (XW95, TIE95, X-Wing Alliance)

Yea I bought most of these back in the day. In my opinion they should just release the DOS CD versions of X-Wing and TIE because they have the amazing interactive MIDI and they really embody the original look/feel of the series in the best way that exists. The 95 versions were prettier but they just have looping John Williams instead of the best interactive and original MIDI soundtrack out there. The 95 versions are also definitely far more difficult to get working (if it's even possible anymore.)

Last edited by swaaye: 09-08-2011 at 08:13 PM.
swaaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 06:32 AM   #6
Myself =P

I love'em both!

I think we must get an Oldschool Starwars collection at steam, with X-Wing, T-Fighter, Shadows of the Empire, KOTOR 2, Racer, Rogue Squadron, they are just so much awesome!
Myself =P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 07:03 PM   #7
Gilgalad80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myself =P View Post
I love'em both!

I think we must get an Oldschool Starwars collection at steam, with X-Wing, T-Fighter, Shadows of the Empire, KOTOR 2, Racer, Rogue Squadron, they are just so much awesome!
+1 !! Love all those.. I hope they do.
Gilgalad80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 08:11 PM   #8
swaaye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myself =P View Post
Shadows of the Empire, Racer, Rogue Squadron
I think each is trouble.

I know that Shadows of the Empire runs too fast if you are above like a Pentium 2 450 MHz. It also needs Direct3D features that don't exist anymore, like table fog.
swaaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 01:56 PM   #9
DJ Cryotek

Lucasarts really needs to make a deal with GoG to get these old games out there again. I doubt they would go for GoG's "no DRM" policy, though :/
DJ Cryotek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 05:47 PM   #10
Gentlemen?

Easily solved as the best versions were the Collectors' CDROM versions. So DOSBOX it is!
Gentlemen? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 11:02 AM   #11
wylroberts

Banned
I would gladly pay for these games even if they didn't work at first.
wylroberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 09:42 PM   #12
SlyCell

TIE Fighter, was a to get running under Windows 7 64, but I finally managed to do it.

Curiously enough, just plugging in an XBox 360 controller works suspiciously well. Just like classic joysticks, it needs to be used in conjunction with the keyboard, but there's some curiously excellent button placement. Tap left or right trigger to set 1/3 or 2/3 throttle respectively, hold to cut the engines or give full throttle. Holding B rolls, click the right stick to match target speed, X will target nearest bogey. It's actually really playable.

And I'm having a LOT of fun with it.

Again.
SlyCell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 08:11 PM   #13
azstinger11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlyCell View Post
TIE Fighter, was a to get running under Windows 7 64, but I finally managed to do it.

Curiously enough, just plugging in an XBox 360 controller works suspiciously well. Just like classic joysticks, it needs to be used in conjunction with the keyboard, but there's some curiously excellent button placement. Tap left or right trigger to set 1/3 or 2/3 throttle respectively, hold to cut the engines or give full throttle. Holding B rolls, click the right stick to match target speed, X will target nearest bogey. It's actually really playable.

And I'm having a LOT of fun with it.

Again.
care to share how you finally got it running??
Old 09-13-2011, 01:49 PM   #14
spyrochaete

I give my thumbs up to every game being requested here. X-wing vs. Tie Fighter was my favourite because of the fantastic game engine, but the original Tie Fighter was really great too. I'd buy the whole collection if I could.
spyrochaete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 03:46 PM   #15
ilovedawkins

I just wanna throw this out...

Tie Fighter is the single greatest game I have ever played.

(closely followed by Thief the Dark Project)

Can we please get in on steam; I wanna cover Admiral Harkov in Jarate.
ilovedawkins is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Star Wars collection > Dark Forces