Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Hardware and Operating Systems

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2010, 02:41 PM   #1
Nik00117
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Reputation: 138
Posts: 278
I require works of Responsibility

For Christmas I spent $2,300 on a M17X laptop, should I spent $2,000 on a custom built rig (by me) for a

CPU: Quad Core
MOBO: Evga Crossfire board
GPU: 5870
RAM: 6 gigs?

Plus various accessories such as case, mointor, etc, etc, etc

Or should I be happy with my M17X? I'm tempted to drop the dough....
Nik00117 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 02:42 PM   #2
Baron_Fel
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Reputation: 1931
Posts: 8,822
you dont need to spend $2k on a good gaming PC, itll be alot closer to $1k.

or just keep using the laptop, maybe wait for new parts to come out.
Baron_Fel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 02:59 PM   #3
Nik00117
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Reputation: 138
Posts: 278
Quote:
you dont need to spend $2k on a good gaming PC, itll be alot closer to $1k.

or just keep using the laptop, maybe wait for new parts to come out.
O believe me I know Back in the day when I mowed yards, washed cars, and stuff I would build some wicked gaming rigs on shoe string budgets. Fortantely I'm no longer in that boat. So when I do buy computers I don't go for "bang for the buck"

I think I am going wait, financially speaking it would be stupid of me to drop 2k on a gaming rig. Largely because my Alienware has plently of life left in it. Plus I want to see what Nvidia's response to the 5870 is going to be, in addition I want a X58 and a SDD if I wait another 8-12 months those prices will drop making it less
Nik00117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 03:13 PM   #4
karnavor
 
Banned
Join Date: Jan 2009
Reputation: 118
Posts: 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik00117 View Post
in addition I want a X58 and a SDD if I wait another 8-12 months those prices will drop making it less
Never works.

New more expensive hardware will come out and you'll want that instead.
karnavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 03:16 PM   #5
kaheiyeh
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Reputation: 28
Posts: 603
Quote:
Originally Posted by karnavor View Post
Never works.

New more expensive hardware will come out and you'll want that instead.
It's a never ending cycle.

1) New hardware comes out, but then you know newer hardware will come out a bit later, so you wait for the newer hardware.

2) Newer hardware comes out, but then you know again that newer hardware will come out a bit later, so you wait.

3) Repeat from Step 1.
kaheiyeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 05:05 PM   #6
Bulletbrain7
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Reputation: 77
Posts: 1,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik00117 View Post
O believe me I know Back in the day when I mowed yards, washed cars, and stuff I would build some wicked gaming rigs on shoe string budgets. Fortantely I'm no longer in that boat. So when I do buy computers I don't go for "bang for the buck"

I think I am going wait, financially speaking it would be stupid of me to drop 2k on a gaming rig. Largely because my Alienware has plently of life left in it. Plus I want to see what Nvidia's response to the 5870 is going to be, in addition I want a X58 and a SDD if I wait another 8-12 months those prices will drop making it less
Don't get the point of the thread. You answered your own question pretty much within minutes of posting the question.
Bulletbrain7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 04:09 PM   #7
marie pavie
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Reputation: 25258
Posts: 10,255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik00117 View Post
$2,000
I'm tempted to drop the dough....
What problem would this be the solution to?
marie pavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Hardware and Operating Systems


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site Content Copyright Valve Corporation 1998-2014, All Rights Reserved.