Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Fallout series

Old 06-08-2010, 01:41 PM   #1
acare84

Talking Fallout: New Vegas will use Steamworks!

Yes, cool news indeed. Steamworks is way better than GFWL and I am so happy for this news. I can't wait for the game.

http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php...fan-interview/
Old 06-08-2010, 02:13 PM   #2
DarkOmegaX

T_T
10 char
DarkOmegaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 10:17 PM   #3
VividNinjaScar

Quote:
Originally Posted by acare84 View Post
Yes, cool news indeed. Steamworks is way better than GFWL and I am so happy for this news. I can't wait for the game.

http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php...fan-interview/
Steamworks sucks compared to GFWL. Gotta say this is a little disappointing. Guess I won't buy, I mean rent, this after all.
VividNinjaScar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 10:21 PM   #4
acare84

Quote:
Originally Posted by VividNinjaScar View Post
Steamworks sucks compared to GFWL. Gotta say this is a little disappointing. Guess I won't buy, I mean rent, this after all.
Firstly you can't rent PC game game that is using Steam. Secondly GFWL is region restricted and only support 26 countries also it has limited activations so what is good about GFWL?
acare84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 11:41 PM   #5
maul_inc

Banned
Quote:
Firstly you can't rent PC game game that is using Steam. Secondly GFWL is region restricted and only support 26 countries also it has limited activations so what is good about GFWL?
I sense a console Retardo
maul_inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 11:42 PM   #6
VividNinjaScar

Quote:
Steam is a rental.

Even if your activations run out, you still have offline profiles, therefor you can still play. Online interaction is optional. Steam, pish, you have to be online to install, even from the box. Have fun with that when Steam is gone.
Old 06-09-2010, 12:04 AM   #7
TurkeySandwhich

Quote:
Steam is a rental.

Even if your activations run out, you still have offline profiles, therefor you can still play. Online interaction is optional. Steam, pish, you have to be online to install, even from the box. Have fun with that when Steam is gone.
And of course you don't have any games on Steam, right?
TurkeySandwhich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 12:48 AM   #8
General Frags

Quote:
We don't advocate piracy on these forums mate.
General Frags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 12:53 AM   #9
Noob-ber-ry

Quote:
Go back to the GFWL forum you troll.
Noob-ber-ry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 01:06 AM   #10
FuuKuy

Such GREAT news!!

Quote:
Steamworks sucks compared to GFWL.
Are u kidding me?!

- STEAM Cloud
- No DVD check-in
- Multilanguage options
- In-game voice & text chat
- STEAM Overlay
- STEAM Community

GFWL have NOTHING better than STEAM.
FuuKuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 01:28 AM   #11
VividNinjaScar

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuuKuy View Post
Such GREAT news!!

Are u kidding me?!

- STEAM Cloud
- No DVD check-in
- Multilanguage options
- In-game voice & text chat
- STEAM Overlay
- STEAM Community

GFWL have NOTHING better than STEAM.
Cloud is available for GFWL
DVD checks are not required for games purchased on the service, and cracks are available otherwise
Windows supports all languages
Voice and text are both in GFWL, with the ability to talk to users on the 360 as well
GFWL has an interface all its own
GFWL Community > STEAM Community. Plus, again, GFWL also has the Xbox community with it.

Steam beats GFWL with supported countries and supported games. Other than that, no. GFWL is less intrusive than Steam, as you don't even need an account. Accounts are only required if you wish to utilize the online features. Other than that, offline profiles are available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noob-ber-ry View Post
Go back to the GFWL forum you troll.
I troll where I please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Frags View Post
We don't advocate piracy on these forums mate.
Didn't even hint at piracy. You don't own anything on Steam, you rent it while the service is available.

Last edited by VividNinjaScar: 06-09-2010 at 01:31 AM.
Old 06-09-2010, 02:06 AM   #12
FuuKuy

Cool

Quote:
Cloud is available for GFWL
DVD checks are not required for games purchased on the service, and cracks are available otherwise
Windows supports all languages
Voice and text are both in GFWL, with the ability to talk to users on the 360 as well
GFWL has an interface all its own
GFWL Community > STEAM Community. Plus, again, GFWL also has the Xbox community with it.

- What?! Don't lie. Name one game with Cloud support on GFWL. I haven't seen any (and I have Batman AA, Gears of War, SFIV, Fallout 3, Shadowrun, GTAIV, GTA:LCS and The Club).

- Multilanguage support on GFWL?! No way. On STEAM if I want to change my game language settings are just selectable on game properties. On GFWL I have to reinstall the whole game again. And not all games have multilanguage support, due to country restrictions.

- Your solution to DVD check is using a crack?! Great... ¬¬

- Direct voice & text chat are NOT available on GFWL. The only way to comunicate on GFWL is with crappy messages, not in real time. And only with ONE person at once. And you have to be in-game. No standalone client chat.
And you can chat in STEAM with MAC users aswell.

- GFWL interface is a crappy console port. It's lack on options, feeling and usability.

- Rent games?! What? I own all the games I've bought on STEAM. I haven't rent any games. In case in the long future STEAM closes (oh wait! XBOX LIVE closed their service for the original box in 6 years and STEAM is running now for 7 years and keep growing) I'm gonna be capable of keep gaming with the games I've purchased. If the same happens with GFWL I doubt you can still play...

- GFWL community does not even exist. Groups? Clans? Events? 25 million users? Statistics? No. STEAM beats GFWL, again.

* And what about updates? STEAM can do background updates, GFWL not.
* And what about multiplayer games? STEAM users can join friend's match just with one click. GFWL requires lame invitations and don't have dedicated servers support.

* Microsoft Points?! WTF! It's just ridiculous.

Nowadays there's no reason to support GFWL against STEAM. BEcause STEAM works and you OWN all the games you buy. You don't rent.

Last edited by FuuKuy: 06-09-2010 at 02:12 AM.
FuuKuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 02:38 AM   #13
VividNinjaScar

Quote:
- What?! Don't lie. Name one game with Cloud support on GFWL. I haven't seen any (and I have Batman AA, Gears of War, SFIV, Fallout 3, Shadowrun, GTAIV, GTA:LCS and The Club).
Available. Not all games use it. World of Goo does, as does Osmos, I believe.

Quote:

- Multilanguage support on GFWL?! No way. On STEAM if I want to change my game language settings are just selectable on game properties. On GFWL I have to reinstall the whole game again. And not all games have multilanguage support, due to country restrictions.
Windows itself supports different languages. GFWL uses your default

Quote:

For games that require a DVD, yes.

Quote:

- Direct voice & text chat are NOT available on GFWL. The only way to comunicate on GFWL is with crappy messages, not in real time. And only with ONE person at once. And you have to be in-game. No standalone client chat.
They are indeed there, but at the moment only ingame. Otherwise, so many other programs are available to fill in the gap of out of game, that also cover Mac users.

Quote:

- GFWL interface is a crappy console port. It's lack on options, feeling and usability.
No, version 1.0 was a console port. The current version, 3.3, is its own system.

Quote:

- Rent games?! What? I own all the games I've bought on STEAM. I haven't rent any games. In case in the long future STEAM closes (oh wait! XBOX LIVE closed their service for the original box in 6 years and STEAM is running now for 7 years and keep growing) I'm gonna be capable of keep gaming with the games I've purchased. If the same happens with GFWL I doubt you can still play...
No, you don't own any of them. If Steam shuts down, you lose all those games you rented. As I have said before, and will say again, offline profiles are what make GFWL better than Steamworks. I can still play all of my boxed copies of my games ten years down the line, no matter what. If Steam's servers even go down you lose. The original Xbox LIVE did close, but guess what. Only the multiplayer was lost, which is expected when the service hosting it closes down. The Xbox itself, and all of its games, still work fine.

Quote:

- GFWL community does not even exist. Groups? Clans? Events? 25 million users? Statistics? No. STEAM beats GFWL, again.
Yes, Steam is bigger. Steam also had about a five year head start. This does not mean that GFWL does not have a community. You'll find that lots of games prefer GFWL than Steam, particularly Capcom's fans.

Quote:

You are correct on this one.

Quote:

* And what about multiplayer games? STEAM users can join friend's match just with one click. GFWL requires lame invitations and don't have dedicated servers support.
Not true. Dedicated servers are decided by the developers. GFWL fully supports them, as you see with Halo 2, Section 8, Shadowrun, ect. Invitations are not required to join games, with the exception of private matches. Simply go to their profile, and click join session in progress. Easy.

Quote:

Yes, Microsoft Points. What you fail to see is that these are for a different market. Those that do not have a credit card, which you can also use on GFWL, can go to the store and pick up a card with cash. Nothing wrong with covering your bases.

Quote:

Nowadays there's no reason to support GFWL against STEAM. BEcause STEAM works and you OWN all the games you buy. You don't rent.
GFWL works. Works just fine. GFWL is the new Vista. People that haven't even used it hate it because 'someone told them it sucks'. You will see countless posts about how people avoid games that are GFWL because of what they have heard about it. That is, until they actually use it and see that it is actually rather good.

Again, you don't own anything on here.

Steam has its own pluses, yes, but I prefer GFWL as do many other gamers. Granted, not as many that do Steam, but at least GFWL isn't forced in any games. You never HAVE to make an account to play.
Old 06-29-2010, 10:20 PM   #14
006danny

Quote:

I think you just won the internet.

Also, I had to use GFWL for Bioshock 2...oh God it was terrible.
006danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 01:22 PM   #15
Iconoclast XVII

Quote:
So, I just reformatted my computer and copied my saves from Borderlands (which I have on Steam) and Fallout 3 (which uses GFWL). Guess how much I had to do with Borderlands? Just redownload it and I could play. Fallout 3, after I installed it, installed Pitt/Anchorage from my disc, and downloaded the other 3 DLCs, it still took me a WEEK to get it to work. I'd try to play it, it would make me login to LIVE, update LIVE, and that never worked. It literally took half a dozen attempts to update the stupid thing before it would let me play. Not to mention I have to wait for it to login every time I want to play.

Also, I think it is a good move for the Fallout series with New Vegas moving to Steam instead of GFWL. Why? Besides the obvious, have you ever looked at the Technical Support for LIVE section of the GFWL forums? They have three forums: Connection Issues, Download Issues, and Fallout 3 Specific Issues. They have had so many problems between Fallout 3 and LIVE that they needed their own forum for it.

Oh, and with Steam, if I want to play offline, I can actually SAVE MY GAME.

Last edited by Iconoclast XVII: 06-09-2010 at 01:24 PM.
Iconoclast XVII is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Fallout series