Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Star Trek Online

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2010, 12:11 PM   #1
leobox1
 
Guest
Posts: n/a
Why is so many people grumbling about this game?

i kinda enjoy it. ( am new to the game )
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 11:37 AM   #2
Z3R0B4NG
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Reputation: 3
Posts: 247
ignore it... every game has it's haters.
with Star Trek in the title you just get more angry Nerds.

I'd say 50% of the complaints are legit the other half, *meh* flamers...
Z3R0B4NG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 08:05 PM   #3
Averum
 
Banned
Join Date: Oct 2009
Reputation: 0
Posts: 21
The trip through the game is fine. However, things soon become repetitive and the endgame lacks any sort of direction or means of advancement. In short, it just becomes boring rather fast.

I also do not like how much stuff is piled into the Cryptic store. You are paying 15 a month as it is. Now they have piled several races, multiple outfits and even ships into the micro transaction store. Some items going as high as 25 dollars.
Averum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 11:21 PM   #4
Lord Mordeth
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Reputation: 138
Posts: 1,807
Quote:
Originally Posted by Averum View Post
The trip through the game is fine. However, things soon become repetitive and the endgame lacks any sort of direction or means of advancement. In short, it just becomes boring rather fast.

I also do not like how much stuff is piled into the Cryptic store. You are paying 15 a month as it is. Now they have piled several races, multiple outfits and even ships into the micro transaction store. Some items going as high as 25 dollars.
This, this and this.

People grumble because they see the game being not worth it.

Sure, it can be fun for a while, but in the long run, STO offers absolutely nothing except repetitious grind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3R0B4NG View Post
with Star Trek in the title you just get more slobbering Hammer Legion Members in denial.
Fixed that for you.

Last edited by Lord Mordeth: 07-09-2010 at 11:25 PM. Reason: Typos, etc..
Lord Mordeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 05:57 AM   #5
Z3R0B4NG
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Reputation: 3
Posts: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Mordeth View Post
Fixed that for you.
no, you broke it.
Z3R0B4NG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 08:48 PM   #6
Portal Boy
 
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Reputation: 178
Posts: 994
Quote:
Originally Posted by Averum View Post
The trip through the game is fine. However, things soon become repetitive and the endgame lacks any sort of direction or means of advancement. In short, it just becomes boring rather fast.

I also do not like how much stuff is piled into the Cryptic store. You are paying 15 a month as it is. Now they have piled several races, multiple outfits and even ships into the micro transaction store. Some items going as high as 25 dollars.
I agree entirely with what Averum posts here. I`ll add that the game's Klingon "faction" is an example of shameful developer dishonesty, in that it is "monster-play" that continues to pretend its a fully fledged equal to the federation side of the game. Klingon players are ignored to the point where they must struggle to get even uniform options as a feature. Oh and all the new federation ships seem to be getting cloak etc etc.

It's a single player game with some multiplayer and deathmatch features. The only thing that might make me consider a return is a proper world pvp feature. However, with the horrific instancing feature i doubt it would even be possible. The whole game conspires to keep players away from one another.

It's sad.
Portal Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 07:56 AM   #7
rss0900
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Reputation: 5
Posts: 85
Well here's my take on this game for what's it's worth. As a brand new player I'm not sure I exactly understand what I'm doing, the lack of in game help or direction is too high. I tried the demo and thought wow look at all those places to fly to, visitm and explorer the lands - I was expecting a "Spore" type environment. The demo was mis-leading, to me anyway.

After buying the full game I found I can fly to all those places but there is nothing to do once you get to them except fight wave after wave after wave of enemy ships. No beaming down, no exploring, as other have said nothing but repetition. So I discovered missions and they have already become repetitive too, fight this fight that, beam down somewhere occasionaly and do this or do that .... I'm not finding the open world I thought I would, frankly I've given up playing this game already but will see what the new season patch brings before I cancel my membership. I'm not grumbling or complaining in the forums, except this post, but I'm certainly not happy or pleased with this game either. Frankly, what a disappointment.
rss0900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 11:42 PM   #8
Tallinn
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Reputation: 8
Posts: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by rss0900 View Post
Well here's my take on this game for what's it's worth. As a brand new player I'm not sure I exactly understand what I'm doing, the lack of in game help or direction is too high. I tried the demo and thought wow look at all those places to fly to, visitm and explorer the lands - I was expecting a "Spore" type environment. The demo was mis-leading, to me anyway.

After buying the full game I found I can fly to all those places but there is nothing to do once you get to them except fight wave after wave after wave of enemy ships. No beaming down, no exploring, as other have said nothing but repetition. So I discovered missions and they have already become repetitive too, fight this fight that, beam down somewhere occasionaly and do this or do that .... I'm not finding the open world I thought I would, frankly I've given up playing this game already but will see what the new season patch brings before I cancel my membership. I'm not grumbling or complaining in the forums, except this post, but I'm certainly not happy or pleased with this game either. Frankly, what a disappointment.
I had the same experience. Don't bother
Tallinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 11:29 PM   #9
Micah Otac
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Reputation: 6
Posts: 82
If this was like guild wars, It would be great. its a FTP game they are charging for. Ill have a blast for my 30 days after season 2 comes out. But its not long term sub material.
Micah Otac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 04:20 AM   #10
Mr.Bigtime
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Reputation: 3
Posts: 733
iam new to this game. Lt. Commander 6 so far. and enjoying so much. This is the game i was waiting for a long time. iam just hoping HIGH END PC STRESSING visuals Dx10 or maybe Dx11 etc etc...
Mr.Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 02:24 AM   #11
Cheve
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Reputation: 2
Posts: 188
IT is playing alone what becomes repetitive. This game gives YOU the choice to play alone or with people.

Look for a fleet which plays the way you like and join, or simply look in the forums for people who plays the way you like and make a new one.

If you make a group of people willing to play together, the game changes a lot. The instancing only means that it is harder to make random groups on the run, but that's what the forums are for, to plan the group and enter together.
Cheve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 04:40 AM   #12
Cristari
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Reputation: 31
Posts: 583
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheve View Post
IT is playing alone what becomes repetitive. This game gives YOU the choice to play alone or with people.

Look for a fleet which plays the way you like and join, or simply look in the forums for people who plays the way you like and make a new one.

If you make a group of people willing to play together, the game changes a lot. The instancing only means that it is harder to make random groups on the run, but that's what the forums are for, to plan the group and enter together.

Why when all the instances, save but a few, are so easy you don't need to group up to do them?
Cristari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 05:18 AM   #13
Cheve
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Reputation: 2
Posts: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristari View Post
Why when all the instances, save but a few, are so easy you don't need to group up to do them?
Because the difficulty adapts to the group, and teaming adds strategy to the game. It is harder to go two against 4 NPCs that 1 against the same, because the bad guys beef up and the players have to coordinate. If you don't like the game only because you go around on your own shooting at people, I have to warn you that you are playing against bad guys adapted to the fact that you are alone, and who are leveled to you.

When you add people on your side to your missions, you will have stronger or more bad guys, and you'll be forced to plan who is atacking who, what spaceship hability you can activate to aid your team, and that kind of things. Small minion battles will go easy, and if you band with people who is of much higher level than you without activating the option to autobalance the team's levels, they will smash everyone without needing you, but if you do activate the autobalance, everything turns social, more fun and difficult, and much more "MMoish", or at least, coop gaming.

Playing alone or with people is an option you have to follow by yourself (As the difficulty slider, which you apply or don't as you see fit). If even that seems easy to you, you can rise the dificulty slider and you will have punishment when you die and respawn, with consecuences which will affect your functionality, and therefore affect the team as well. So, you have to plan the fight, take care of your teammates...

It is also much more fun, and if you use any program to talk with audio, the game becomes even much more fun.

Last edited by Cheve: 07-30-2010 at 05:21 AM.
Cheve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 06:52 AM   #14
shadewarlock
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Reputation: 1
Posts: 77
I was SO tempted to lifetime sub this game. Im glad i didnt. Its such a boring bland monotonus grind. The thing that drew me to the game was the intricate universe they spun in the lead up to launch and the politics and happenings in the universe (ya know the treky stuff from the shows!) and its such a let down.

Warp to system. kill 5 set of baddies (in the same fighter, cruiser and battleship configuration regardless of race), POSSIBLY beam down to planet to engage in clunky combat, and possibly return to space and scan objects or destry another "boss" ship.

Im not even kidding that was the formula used in 90% of the missions in the game when i played.

stay away from this cash cow.
shadewarlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 01:12 PM   #15
Lord Mordeth
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Reputation: 138
Posts: 1,807
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadewarlock View Post
stay away from this cash cow.
Calling the game cash cow implies that STO is successful, which it clearly isn't.

Then again, i'm sure the fluff from C-Store (or whatever it's called) generates some revenue so who knows.. maybe it is a cash cow, though i honestly doubt it.
Lord Mordeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Star Trek Online


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:57 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site Content Copyright Valve Corporation 1998-2014, All Rights Reserved.