Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > GRID

Old 07-07-2010, 03:46 AM   #1
AmEyeBlind

grid.exe opening a lot tcp ports

hi guys,
i got the grid during that weekend sale and do have some strange behavior on it.

everytime i play the grid.exe is opening and closing a hell lot of tcp ports. found that out by useing TCPView and can feel that some times during the race. (its slightly lagging)

so far i'm only playing single player and cut my connection while i play, i don't feel the lag when i do that.
it doesn't madder if steam is in online or offline mode.

any 1 got an idea what this is?
do you have the same stuff happening?
Old 07-08-2010, 02:21 PM   #2
_jema987

I think its the in-game advertising trying to phone home.
_jema987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 02:14 AM   #3
Transmeta

It's fairly normal, it background checks for new content, like we'd ever have any, and also checking the multiplayer server, just block it with your firewall if it bothers you that much.
Transmeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 02:35 AM   #4
AmEyeBlind

thx for the replies guys.
stupid code when it does that during a single player race!

i dont have a software firewall other than that stupid built in windows thing, where i already refused the rights for the grid.exe, but it doesnt seem to bother it.

could it be possible to change some files to get around it?
AmEyeBlind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 04:27 AM   #5
_jema987

The only file I can think of would be the exe itself and that's a bit of a no-no.

I don't use the built in fw, for this very reason, so there will be some guess work here but what I think you've done is refuse incoming connections to GRID, not the outgoing ones that we're after.

What you could try is switching Steam/GRID to offline mode and before starting GRID block outgoing for your network profile, like this http://rogerkar.blogspot.com/2009/05...-firewall.html and then start GRID and see if it helps. Note the default values so you can undo this later since it will close _ALL_ outgoing traffic from your machine. If you are uncertain of which profile you're using you can check the 'network and sharing center' or just block em all, its a test after all.
If this fixes the problem we can go into a bit more advanced permanent solution. Btw what version of windows are you running?
Old 07-10-2010, 08:49 AM   #6
AmEyeBlind

i got win xp sp3 32 bit
well, like i wrote above, i always cut my connection when i play grid, so i wont be disturbed in game by this.
i was just wondering about the games behavior, cause i never seen something like this before on a game.

would be great if codemaster or steam come up with a patch to fix that BS,
but hell, i know that wont happen. ^^

thx again guys, at least i know now that its "normal" for this game.
Old 07-10-2010, 10:32 AM   #7
_jema987

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmEyeBlind View Post
i got win xp sp3 32 bit
Ah well, seems I made assumptions again, the firwwall in XP wont block outgoing connections at all. As long as you have a workable solution I guess all I can say is, enjoy your racing .
Old 07-13-2010, 02:03 AM   #8
Transmeta

It's not normal for it to stutter, it may be running into a loop where it's expecting a response to a packet it sent and just keeps retrying over and over, it might be opening ports, but it wont keep them open the whole time unless you are playing multiplayer, try allowing the game to connect and see if that helps. (think of a webpage, most will open a connection to port 80 on the site you want to browse, grab the data you requested, then close)
Old 07-13-2010, 04:23 AM   #9
AmEyeBlind

i had allowed it to connect at 1st, but its the same thing.
there seems to be a major bug in the release, this is definitely not normal.
when i load the game it opens about 300 connection all to the same ip and closing em quite fast. the only way i can play this game is to cut my connection. pretty sad wanted to do some online racing now where i completed the race world.

as well i get the message that the grid.exe encountered a problem and needs to shut down when i close the game.

do i maybe just have a ed up installation?
or is this the next bug on the list?
Old 07-13-2010, 03:25 PM   #10
Transmeta

What exactly are the specs of your machine, it sounds like it's not really a network problem but more of a processing problem. When was the last time you did a fresh install of XP or cleaned up drivers and the registry?
Old 07-13-2010, 05:25 PM   #11
AmEyeBlind

http://www.sysprofile.de/id29820
my specs are ok, quite fresh windows, last installed april, all cleaned up, with up to date drivers.
like written above, when i'm offline its all good, just when i'm online i can feel that ~300 ports opening and closing.

the tcpview is linked in the 1st post, maybe some of you guys can get it, and see if the same bull is happening for you as well.
Old 07-14-2010, 04:56 AM   #12
Transmeta

No real specs, no help, get rid of the troll link... unless you tell us what you are really running we cannot help you, we can look at packet logs all day, perhaps you run your card promiscous too much and thats the problem

Last edited by Transmeta: 07-14-2010 at 04:59 AM.
Old 07-14-2010, 06:54 AM   #13
AmEyeBlind

hm?
what more specs do you need?
did you even toke a look at that link?
i wont type everything in here! what for when i got that profile with the link. look at it and see my system specs.

and what do you mean with:
"perhaps you run your card promiscous too much and thats the problem"

sorry i don't get that, even when i translate it to german it makes no sense to me.
Old 07-14-2010, 02:34 PM   #14
_jema987

AmEyeBlind, the computer you run GRID on has its own network connection right? There are no other machines that connects to the internet through it?

At any rate I don't thin that is it. Now you could try with vsync on I suppose or give this a spin http://www.realredraider.com/vbullet...ad.php?t=12706
Old 07-14-2010, 03:09 PM   #15
AmEyeBlind

yes, its only my pc on the line, no 2nd pc, no open wlan , no nothing else.
vsync is always on by default.

the link you posted wont help me, but thx anyway.

it definitely godda have something to do with the ~300 ports that the grid.exe is opening and closing! cause when i'm offline i don't have any problems! i already completed all events in the race world with that method.

ah well, guess i gonna contact the support, see what they will say to it.

thank you guys for trying to help.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > GRID