Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > ARMA series > ARMA 2: Operation Arrowhead

Old 07-15-2010, 11:25 AM   #1
Megakill

Arma 2 operation arrowhead BIG PROBLEM

hey for some reason no matter what settings i put it to or resolution on arma 2 operation arrowhead i get lagg, even on the main screen where its just a camera moving around scenery.

In my system i have a ati radeon 5830 and i3 cpu 530 overclocked to 4ghz by overclocker.co.uk

I have told these the problem also and they seen to think it maybe a faulty part on that card that controls the direct x.

Any ideas? as i say doesnt mattetr wether its on low mid high extra high or what resolution or post process on or off, makes no difference. yet when i set it system recommendations it set it all to high....so i dont understand it.
Old 07-15-2010, 12:01 PM   #2
mcilrain

ArmA2's engine is very different compared to many other games, as it is designed for scope and flexibility (the engine is used in software used by militaries the world over).

A commonly overlooked aspect of degraded performance is the HDD performance, as there is a lot of data that needs to be loaded. Take a look at the HDD indicator next time you play, for me, it is often on more than it is not.

Also, keep in mind that the simulation is much more computationally expensive, for example, when someone fires a bullet, it's trajectory, penetration, deflection, tracer effect has to be calculated, aswell as the sound generated by the bullet, the sound of it being fired from the weapon, the sound of the sonic-crack (if not subsonic) and the sound of it hitting (potentially more than once).

Each sound requires a lot of computation too, as distance and obstructions are taken into account (far sounds are delayed according to speed of sound and terrain and structures muffle sound a bit). The AI is also sophisticated enough to "hear" these sounds.

Compare this to a common game such as MW2, where bullets are simple raytraces, the speed of sound is infinite, drawdistance is tiny and AI "cheat" to locate targets.
mcilrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 08:14 AM   #3
b00tsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcilrain View Post
ArmA2's engine is very different compared to many other games, as it is designed for scope and flexibility (the engine is used in software used by militaries the world over).

A commonly overlooked aspect of degraded performance is the HDD performance, as there is a lot of data that needs to be loaded. Take a look at the HDD indicator next time you play, for me, it is often on more than it is not.

Also, keep in mind that the simulation is much more computationally expensive, for example, when someone fires a bullet, it's trajectory, penetration, deflection, tracer effect has to be calculated, aswell as the sound generated by the bullet, the sound of it being fired from the weapon, the sound of the sonic-crack (if not subsonic) and the sound of it hitting (potentially more than once).

Each sound requires a lot of computation too, as distance and obstructions are taken into account (far sounds are delayed according to speed of sound and terrain and structures muffle sound a bit). The AI is also sophisticated enough to "hear" these sounds.

Compare this to a common game such as MW2, where bullets are simple raytraces, the speed of sound is infinite, drawdistance is tiny and AI "cheat" to locate targets.
yeah but he was talking about already being laggy on the main screen. I have that too, you would expect a better frame rate when you are on the main screen then ingame doing a mission or something. Why is the fps the same?
b00tsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 08:37 AM   #4
gossamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by b00tsy View Post
yeah but he was talking about already being laggy on the main screen. I have that too, you would expect a better frame rate when you are on the main screen then ingame doing a mission or something. Why is the fps the same?

if you are lagging in the main menu, you have SERIOUS performance issues.
gossamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 10:26 AM   #5
b00tsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gossamer View Post
if you are lagging in the main menu, you have SERIOUS performance issues.
Well laggy, I have the same fps on the main screen as in ingame according to fraps. My graphics card indeed needs to replaced with something better, everything else should be good enough to play ArmA without lag on normal, normal/low settings. I was just thinking that ingame it would require much more computing so you would expect smoother performance on the main screen, but it's the same for me.
b00tsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 02:38 PM   #6
7th_Serf

I've always had 'load lag' when I first start Arma2 and OA up. It takes about 20 seconds and then the game seems to stabilize. I wonder if you are running other programs in the background that may be affecting your game performance.

I'm running a dual core rig with Win XP pro. 4 gig of ram and a 9800 GTX+ at 19x12 and the game runs excellent. I turn textures to high, shadows off, anti aliasing 2x, and post processing off (gets rid of that annoying blur when I turn my head and the bloom/shiny effect). There are mods that might also help your performance (USSOCOM has one, do a search for it on armaholic.com or on the US Socom webpage, it limits the textures of the plants or something). I've seen some anti-blur mods too that might help.

Not sure about your directx not working...have you tested it?

Anyhow good luck, the game is worth the effort (well..if you like realism that is).
7th_Serf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 06:27 PM   #7
FubyDoo

After setting to quality Normal and turning off post effects..
Unfortunate as it may be... your beating your head against the wall trying different graphic settings. ArmaII series has always lagged. The bigger block is your CPU. Yes, 4 ghz is fast but your a dual core. Arma likes multiple cores and I would say that is the part that your feeling. Even good systems with quads will feel FPS hit during big battles or just moving thru cities. And the fastest rigs are averaging 45-50 fps.. that should tell you something.

You will notice most threads in here complaining all boil down to performance of ArmaII. it's a great game..it just lags.
Hopefully, they will improve it in time.. just don't hold your breath on it.

Last edited by FubyDoo: 07-15-2010 at 07:14 PM.
FubyDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 12:48 AM   #8
BuckyBit

I really don't get it, how some people have such problems with ArmA2 or ArmA2OA - look at my low-specs here: http://forums.steampowered.com/forum...2#post16056092 and it runs perfectly fine!

I do not brag, but simply let others know, that maybe it's not the game, but your end/your setup?! Also these ArmA games scale enourmously UP and DOWN - so changing settings will result in playable framerate whatsoever.

I bought ArmA2OA and play that as well on 'very high' settings - without AA - in 1440x900 - again, no graphic card problems whatsoever with AMD/ATI.

Feel sorry for those, who have framerate problems. But I cannot see the reason why.
BuckyBit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 05:33 AM   #9
Megakill

i had a look on the recommended by arma 2 and is says it would be good if you have a i3 530 2.93ghx cpu...which i do and overclocked it better than the 540 lol, my card it one of the top cards....maybe lower spec compuyers can run it becasue as you say the game needs to be improved so atm lowest comps are kinda level with the game, as for better systems maybe it trying to pull more out the game it can handle and that where the problem is??

Overclockers said it may a fault withi my graphics card which controls the dx level because arma 2 is dx11? but i cant see that myself - or i that a knwoen fault??
Megakill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 05:36 AM   #10
Megakill

i had a look on the recommended by arma 2 and is says it would be good if you have a i3 530 2.93ghx cpu...which i do and overclocked it better than the 540 lol, my card it one of the top cards....maybe lower spec compuyers can run it becasue as you say the game needs to be improved so atm lowest comps are kinda level with the game, as for better systems maybe it trying to pull more out the game it can handle and that where the problem is??

Overclockers said it may a fault withi my graphics card which controls the dx level because arma 2 is dx11? but i cant see that myself - or i that a knwoen fault??

How do you test if you DX is faulty?
Old 07-22-2010, 03:14 AM   #11
Megakill

Lagg on main screen, stutters like hell ive told my manufacturers as this computer is new and they said the DX part on my card maybe faulty, so there avin it in the test it alll and replace parts if needed.
Old 07-22-2010, 06:57 PM   #12
rsharpe95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megakill View Post
hey for some reason no matter what settings i put it to or resolution on arma 2 operation arrowhead i get lagg, even on the main screen where its just a camera moving around scenery.

In my system i have a ati radeon 5830 and i3 cpu 530 overclocked to 4ghz by overclocker.co.uk

I have told these the problem also and they seen to think it maybe a faulty part on that card that controls the direct x.

Any ideas? as i say doesnt mattetr wether its on low mid high extra high or what resolution or post process on or off, makes no difference. yet when i set it system recommendations it set it all to high....so i dont understand it.
I have a i7 920 modestly OCed at 3.5ghz and a 5850. I had the same problem as you did on any setting until I disabled Hyperthreading on my CPU. Now I have most of the settings at high or more without any problem.
rsharpe95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 10:44 PM   #13
Fasteagle107

I have experience lag all the time and i am BELOW the recommended settings but i turn anti analising and post processing OFF and it all runs the same and i can turn my setting to high with a little bit of lag so i use medium. You may not want to turn these off but it helped me tons and now i can play below the requirements and no lag on med settings!!
Old 07-26-2010, 11:20 AM   #14
Megakill

Just got confirmation that there was an error with my graphics card and they have replaced it, tested the game and it seems to be fine now
Old 07-27-2010, 06:42 AM   #15
Dwarden

Bohemia Interactive
thanks for telling us ... have fun with the game

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > ARMA series > ARMA 2: Operation Arrowhead