Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Alien Swarm

Old 08-01-2010, 05:13 PM   #1
jjjon123

Petition: Fix the flamer NOT nerf it, and answer to speed runs

The Flamer needs to be FIXED not NERFED. The problem is not with the weapons, its with the swarm!

Here is a proposed fix to the flamer that i believe everyone would find suitable.

Lower the time it takes to light a marine on fire BUT NOT TO THE POINT THAT IT LEADS TO GRIEFING! No more than a 30% reduction.

DECREASE damage to drones/acid spitters(?) on easy/normal, so its not a one hit kill! This not only fixes the op problem but the ammo conserving problem by forcing extended blasts on each bug.

INCREASE the damage/fire duration it does to other shieldbugs/boomers ect.

In other words, the damage is done in % of max health instead of a fixed point system thus doing less damage to drones and more damage to larger bugs.

And to fix the insane solo speed run problem that started the nerfing/op weapons war, I propose a bug that slows down soldiers by spitting sticky goo on them. They are slow, stay away from the action (like the acid spitters), have low health but they must be taken out from far away (so no flamers!) as they explode, leaving sticky goo that, if it lands on a soldier slows then down for x seconds letting the swarm come closer. If not taken care of after a few seconds they shoot a ball of goo with a good amount of accuracy.
They should be spawned more if a team goes especially fast.

Sign Here if you think that the flamer should be Fixed and speed runs should be a little more challenging.

Signers (including myself):
jjjon123
madnesscom9

Last edited by jjjon123: 08-01-2010 at 09:09 PM.
Old 08-01-2010, 05:18 PM   #2
TrueSurvivor

Banned
Wow you just know it all.
TrueSurvivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 07:23 PM   #3
Madnesscom9

If you said something about signing, Id sign.
Old 08-01-2010, 10:13 PM   #4
Aglari

Uh, it shouldn't do more damage to big stuff, it already stuns them. And how does this affect speed runs? Its good for speed runs because it keeps stuff away from you, not because it kills it.
Aglari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 10:31 PM   #5
RaranTroff

Here we go again with the campaign to destroy yet another weapon that is just fine as it is. So what if its a little OP, its a fun gun to use.

I understand now, its fun and not "Pro/leet/serous business" so it must be destroyed. Well I have news for you this game is about fun and will never, ever be considered a pro game that people get paid to play. Deal with it.
RaranTroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 11:00 PM   #6
Urban-GER

disagree to RaranTroff

Flamer isnt a fun gun, it is the gun of all choice.

No matter if for solo insane run or team speed run - 95% of all youtube videos will include flamers.

The tesla gun was nerfed because it does both, damage and stun effect. In my eyes the flamers is the new tesla gun, because it 'stuns' the swarm to. As I said in some thread before:

Quote:
Now the mighty FLAMETROHWER
In my eyes just imba and need to be nerfed to, like the tesla gun. But in another way, not stealing the damage, but need to steal the "stun" effect on the swarm.
Drones are crawling on the ground, shield bugs decide sometimes to stand where they are and wait for better weather.
Only boss/punk drones survice a 0,2 sec blast from your flamer, all other drones die 100% after short time.
Did you ever was set on fire? I guess you wont wait for some rain. Even animals seems not to slow down while set on fire. If you dont believe me catch your dog or cat. Very quick moving before your victim ist stumbling on the ground. I understand that the aliens are surprised by the shiny glow, but they wont stop for long time.
This is the way how it should be. Stun drones for a very short duration but when caught up in flames they should continue their suicide attacks. Similar to Shield bugs.
Only buzzers(flying one) seems to be a little fire proof. They keep on flying and atacking by normal speed.
I wonder why the swarm caught up in flame from a 0,2 sec spray of napalm, but my allies not. It would be realstic when my allies caught up instantly too.
When I used theese 0,2 second shots, Im able to fire in the middle of my team to hit the drone whos going for the medic with very poor FF. Why my pals caught up instant when moving through a fire on ground, but not when covered with burning napalm?

Sign for some change!
Old 08-01-2010, 11:09 PM   #7
Rss

Don't nerf the flamer, buff those bugs. Perhaps spawn more of them when player just lights them up and bypasses them.
Rss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 12:07 AM   #8
Dr.Stinglock

Have you guieze created the friendface group for this yet? I cant see any links.

Id really like signing things too though, add me and ziggy564 to the list of people who light two sign. oh and me and zig have a small village in a remote part of tasmania that will signned this too so you can add them, there's about fourtey of them but they dunsnt hab ne steam accounts

/siggnnededed (plus one, plus the other fourtey eqalz fourtey three!!!)
Dr.Stinglock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 10:47 PM   #9
Pyroguy

It turns the game into easy mode, no matter what difficulty you are playing on.

Yes, I suppose a quick fix is to use other weapons when there are no parasites/spiders around. But I shouldn't have to invent ways to make the game more challenging, other than ratcheting up the difficulty setting (and, heck, it almost sets the difficulty for you as it is).

If you find easy fun, then play on easy.
Old 08-01-2010, 11:07 PM   #10
RaranTroff

I actually play on hard when I play and have a blast. You actually hit the solution to your problem with the flamer. Have the self control to not use it if you feel it makes the game too easy. But self control is probably too much to ask from people who resort to the role of forum post bombing terrorists to get their way. Do note I said your problem and not a problem the vast majority of people that play this game have. It is a vocal minority that think the flamer is a OP weapon, just as it was a vocal minority that ed and whined till the Tesla gun had all of the fun sucked out of it.

One last time, say it with me. Self Control, look it up in the dictionary if you don't know what it means.
RaranTroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 11:10 PM   #11
Razumen

The flamer is FINE. the problem is friendly fire at higher difficulties should increase until it is 100% at insane. That would make players a bit more cautious when using it and learn to stay in formation better due to the possibility of increased FF.

Oh, and no offense, but a weapon that does a percentage based damage just makes no sense.
Razumen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 12:32 AM   #12
Liath_WW

Actually, I'd say leave the flamer's damage alone. But, rather than slowing the swarm, make them frenzied by it. Drones are sacrificial bugs anyways, like Zerglings in SC. So instead of slowing down, since they're suicidal anyways, make them charge people even faster, and knock the crap out of them.

Also, just for kicks, it would be nice, and slightly realistic for flaming bugs and marines to set things around them alight. For the players, that would mean that the flamer can be used for crowd control, but with a tactical risk (if there are many swarm drones, could be suicidal). Dunno about the last bit, but I do think that the behavior of aliens on fire is slightly... odd.

Current behavior:
"Hey, damn, this hurts, so I'm going to just sit here and burn to death!"

Should be:
"Man, this burns!! I'mma cut you to friggin pieces before I die!"
Liath_WW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 12:45 AM   #13
Razumen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liath_WW View Post
Actually, I'd say leave the flamer's damage alone. But, rather than slowing the swarm, make them frenzied by it. Drones are sacrificial bugs anyways, like Zerglings in SC. So instead of slowing down, since they're suicidal anyways, make them charge people even faster, and knock the crap out of them.

Also, just for kicks, it would be nice, and slightly realistic for flaming bugs and marines to set things around them alight. For the players, that would mean that the flamer can be used for crowd control, but with a tactical risk (if there are many swarm drones, could be suicidal). Dunno about the last bit, but I do think that the behavior of aliens on fire is slightly... odd.

Current behavior:
"Hey, damn, this hurts, so I'm going to just sit here and burn to death!"

Should be:
"Man, this burns!! I'mma cut you to friggin pieces before I die!"
^^ This is a good idea. Would make players fire their flamethrowers longer to make sure the bugs die quicker, and give Tesla a more unique position in the weapons.
Razumen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 01:38 AM   #14
doctordodgy

You don't have to use the flamer if you find it 'too easy'. If you want a challenge, then attempt a solo insane speedrun using only level one weapons. Now stop demanding nerfs and ruining the game for the majority of people who like the game as it is.
doctordodgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 01:41 AM   #15
Qbix

Flammer is ok as it is. Enough people didn't discover it's advantages yet, so I don't see any problem. People like jjon should apply for every weapon being taken away from the game to make it more difficult to be good. .

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Alien Swarm