Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Amnesia: The Dark Descent

Old 09-07-2010, 05:51 AM   #1
Kexin

I hate this game.

Its too damn scary. I've played horror games before, Doom, Resident Evil, and Dead Space. Those games are very scary but their shooter element also take the edge off the fear and infuse some much welcomed adrenaline into the affair. I derive a lot of satisfactions from blowing the heck outta the monsters that scares me so much when I finally confront them.

That isn't possible in this game. I spend a lot of time in the demo cowering and scared witless. It's just too much. Too scary all the time and it's preventing me from having fun.
Old 09-07-2010, 05:53 AM   #2
marsson

Well there's a fine line between being scared and being so scared that it isn't fun to play the game. Personally I found the game to be scary in a fun way, so I'm totally looking forward to be playing it!

Something you can try to do is telling yourself that it is just a game, and therefore making it less scary Though I got to admit that Frictional Games makes me proud to be a Swede since their games is the best when it comes to Survival Horror in recent years.

Last edited by marsson: 09-07-2010 at 05:57 AM.
marsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 12:57 PM   #3
Kexin

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsson View Post
Well there's a fine line between being scared and being so scared that it isn't fun to play the game. Personally I found the game to be scary in a fun way, so I'm totally looking forward to be playing it!

Something you can try to do is telling yourself that it is just a game, and therefore making it less scary Though I got to admit that Frictional Games makes me proud to be a Swede since their games is the best when it comes to Survival Horror in recent years.
Its not that I'm badass in real life and having my character freak out is a disconnect. Far from it. Its just that I find act the being the prey none stop and constant feeling of dread un-fun. It would be nice to have a gun or some sort of weapon to fight back once in a while.
Kexin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 06:43 AM   #4
Chapa9dj

Yup, i love survival horror and suspense. I've played throught all the Resident Evil games, Silent Hill, Dead Space and Obscure, but Penumbra and Amnesia take this genre to a whole new level.

I've never felt so scared before, especially in Penumbra. I was so scared that i had to stop playing it, but i grew some courage and told myself that it was just a game and managed to finish both Penumbra (Overture and Black Plague, Requiem was just puzzles)

If you want a better experience with the game. Play at night with all the lights out and some good headphones .
Chapa9dj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 06:45 AM   #5
iSpaceman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapa9dj View Post
If you want a better experience with the game. Play at night with all the lights out and some good headphones .
Good idea in principle, but considering there is this new sanity mechanic and the unsettling event noise, you might, just might, end up ting brix.
iSpaceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 06:53 AM   #6
praetorian42

is it really this scary? I'm getting interested in this game now.

Are you guys distinguishing between scary and startling? I'm startled by games all the time, something jumping out from around the corner or whatever. But rarely scared, freaking out about what might be around the corner.
praetorian42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 07:01 AM   #7
Rogersdead

Quote:
Originally Posted by praetorian42 View Post

Are you guys distinguishing between scary and startling? I'm startled by games all the time, something jumping out from around the corner or whatever. But rarely scared, freaking out about what might be around the corner.
No it's scary. It builds an uncomfortable atmosphere. Similar in a way the original Silent Hill did (back when it was new)

It certainly doesn't rely on cheap shocks ala FEAR to try to scare nor does it need to.
Rogersdead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 07:19 AM   #8
oscar123123123

Thumbs up

Quote:

Scare, true horror. The game builds up more and more until you quit because of the darkness lurking in the distance. Also the game engine and the insanity meter really adds to this immersion and attachment to David.

One thing though, the oil meter is kind of detaching, I have to check the tab menu all the time, they should add something in the view model to easily check for oil level. Besides that, the game is 100% immersive and psychologically scary.
oscar123123123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 07:21 AM   #9
iSpaceman

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscar123123123 View Post
Scare, true horror. The game builds up more and more until you quit because of the darkness lurking in the distance. Also the game engine and the insanity meter really adds to this immersion and attachment to David.

One thing though, the oil meter is kind of detaching, I have to check the tab menu all the time, they should add something in the view model to easily check for oil level. Besides that, the game is 100% immersive and psychologically scary.
*Daniel.
Not david
iSpaceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 07:37 AM   #10
Heids24

Quote:

I don't want to steal someone else's comment, but there was a post in the forum that I felt summed up what this game does quite well...

Paraphrased from an earlier post that I can't find right now...

A haunted house is scary. Seeing someone brutally murdered and disfigured inside that haunted house is horror. And knowing that whatever just killed and disfigured that person is still out there, probably coming after you, is terror. Amnesia blends scary, horror, and terror really well.

Again, great assessment by whoever originally stated that.
Heids24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 07:59 AM   #11
Kitsunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heids24 View Post
I don't want to steal someone else's comment, but there was a post in the forum that I felt summed up what this game does quite well...

Paraphrased from an earlier post that I can't find right now...

A haunted house is scary. Seeing someone brutally murdered and disfigured inside that haunted house is horror. And knowing that whatever just killed and disfigured that person is still out there, probably coming after you, is terror. Amnesia blends scary, horror, and terror really well.

Again, great assessment by whoever originally stated that.
It's only semantics, but I think it would be better to replace the word scary with creepy, scary is more of a word for anything that scares you, whereas creepy is more of the feeling of an atmosphere, there doesn't have to actually be anything disturbing there to make something creepy.

Hopefully I said that in an understandable fashion...
Kitsunin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 07:16 AM   #12
Larry1212

I couldn't stand DOOM III. It was much too dark to be enjoyable, I simply could not see a single freakin' thing untill it hit me. Totally ruined the experience for me.

Penumbra, while I liked it, freaked the crap out of me and I got stuck far too often for far too long for my liking... Never completed it because of this.

Amnesia, however, seems to be a bit more in line with what i'd like from a horror game. Focus on survival, doing what you'd actually do in such a situation and not as many annoying parts where you're left scratching your head because some of what they ask/want/need you to do isn't common sense or even something you'd think to do... take http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W70lr...eature=related for example. Watch from 4:30 onwards. The guy, like myself, is pretty clueless on what to do untill he finally stumbles upon what it is he has to do. It's pretty funny, really good "Let's play", and pretty much exactly what most or some of us were like in parts, simply left looking around scratching our heads, wandering around the same parts, trying different things only to die in the end.

From the Amnesia demo most of the puzzles seem rather straight forward or, atleast, require a bit of common sense and not something completely abstract(Like who would think to throw a drink over a thermastat that's inside a freezer?).
Larry1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 08:01 AM   #13
thefreeman0001

it is actually scary. DON'T GO INTO THE WATER!. I loved that bit everytime i thought to myself "yes ive made this jump SPLOSHHH!! OH GOD RUNNN" and the insanity mechanic is great. i just finished playing through the demo on my first go and when i realised i was out of lamp oil and tinder i frantically ran around looking for light until i collapsed and dragged myself into another room amongst crazy sounding whispers and warpped vision. then when i finally found some tinder i actually caught myself thinking "theres nothing there theres nothing there theres nothing there" i was actually frightened.
thefreeman0001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 08:07 AM   #14
praetorian42

What is this insanity mechanic that's being mentioned?
Is that like Eternal darkness : sanity's requiem? that had an insanity meter. and that really did scare me. my friend told me all the weird stuff that might happen. I still shrieked a little and had to calm my breathing when it faked a yelling neighbor pounding on my wall.
praetorian42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 08:09 AM   #15
N3oN667

Quote:
What is this insanity mechanic that's being mentioned?
Is that like Eternal darkness : sanity's requiem? that had an insanity meter. and that really did scare me. my friend told me all the weird stuff that might happen. I still shrieked a little and had to calm my breathing when it faked a yelling neighbor pounding on my wall.
If you look at disturbing events/monsters or sit in the dark too long your sanity drains. And once it gets low you start hallucinating things. In a video review I watched one of the examples they used was your character was hallucinating bugs crawling on him, and they were all over your screen.
N3oN667 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Amnesia: The Dark Descent