Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Borderlands

Old 11-14-2010, 01:35 PM   #1
n2it

Is this my game still? I didn't want this patch

What right have you got patching my single player part of Borderlands without my permission I liked the game the way it was I don't think this is right. I can understand the multi player part of the game but the single player part is my game that I bought and only I play. so what does it matter to you. I would like this patch removed from my game that is if it is still my game. It wouldn't affect anyone else but me I never play on line anyway. Besides I'm not to sure that this isn't a breech of privacy. If not it sure isn't very ethical. Maybe me posting this on the forum isn't this best idea I should probably take this to support
Old 11-14-2010, 01:53 PM   #2
Redtide

You can turn off the automatic patching feature and since you didn't you have to live with the consequences. It sucks but thems the rules.
Redtide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 02:37 PM   #3
n2it

How do I do that "turn off the auto patch"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redtide View Post
You can turn off the automatic patching feature and since you didn't you have to live with the consequences. It sucks but thems the rules.
I wasn't aware that you had an auto patch program it is not mentioned any where that one would read maybe in some small print some where but come on man give me a break who reads that crap. I just want to play "MY" game by myself whats wrong with that?
n2it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 05:13 PM   #4
flava_clown

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2it View Post
I wasn't aware that you had an auto patch program it is not mentioned any where that one would read maybe in some small print some where but come on man give me a break who reads that crap. I just want to play "MY" game by myself whats wrong with that?
if you buy games on dvd then they shouldn't auto update. to be sure they can't update themself you can use a firewall and block the homecalling (if possible, wouldn't work with ubisoft drm infected games like settlers 7, as they require to be connected to an ubisoft server during the whole play session even in a single player game)

an alternate way would be to buy/download the version from gamersgate, as far as i know, the game would have been manually patched to the version of your choice. however the gamersgate version is incompatible with every available DLC.

to answer your question, how to disable the auto-patching.
1. start steam
2. go to the "games" tab
3. right-click on borderlands and choose "properties"
4. in the window which pops up click on the "updates" tab
5. click on the down arrow to change "always keep this game up to date" to "do not automatically update this game"

however, like seseorang mentioned already, this feature is broken, which means it's mostlikely that steam will update this and any other game, anyway.

edit: ooops ninjad by Redtide

@derrman0426: unfortunately the "fixed scalling" happens only AFTER the 2nd pt which makes it quite pointless for me...

Last edited by flava_clown: 11-14-2010 at 05:17 PM.
flava_clown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 05:35 PM   #5
Goteki-45

Quote:
Originally Posted by flava_clown View Post
if you buy games on dvd then they shouldn't auto update.
They don't, in this case. Borderlands is not a Steamworks title, so if he bought it retail it wouldn't auto-update.
Goteki-45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 12:42 AM   #6
SKotteh

Quote:
Please explain why you cannot play your game. What changed?
SKotteh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 04:28 AM   #7
Clord

http://www.preparednesspro.com/blog/paranoid-privacy/
Clord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 09:54 AM   #8
Setarcos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clord View Post
I don't know whether to laugh at stuff like this, or start stockpiling my own caches of food and armaments for when those people "take back" the country.
Setarcos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 02:47 PM   #9
Winterkid

Nothing is wrong with it, but at the same time, you have to realize that sometimes things in life happen and they suck. It's nothing you did to deserve it, no one it deliberately trying to ruin your game, it's just something that happens. Life has to be unfair or disappointing from time to time, it's just the way it is.
Winterkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 02:59 PM   #10
ParadoxSalem

Quote:
What right have you got patching my single player part of Borderlands without my permission I liked the game the way it was I don't think this is right. I can understand the multi player part of the game but the single player part is my game that I bought and only I play. so what does it matter to you. I would like this patch removed from my game that is if it is still my game. It wouldn't affect anyone else but me I never play on line anyway. Besides I'm not to sure that this isn't a breech of privacy. If not it sure isn't very ethical. Maybe me posting this on the forum isn't this best idea I should probably take this to support
Lawlz @ breach of privacy. Do you OWN any Valve games? They ALL update automatically.

Besides, this patch = best thing that's happened to Borderlands. I was tired of one-shotting Lance outside the armory. My lvl 69 Siren got her handed to her when she was ambushed by a few Drifters when I wasn't paying attention and I smiled so wide..
ParadoxSalem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 07:18 PM   #11
n2it

Well it sounds like you want the patch

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadoxSalem View Post
Lawlz @ breach of privacy. Do you OWN any Valve games? They ALL update automatically.

Besides, this patch = best thing that's happened to Borderlands. I was tired of one-shotting Lance outside the armory. My lvl 69 Siren got her handed to her when she was ambushed by a few Drifters when I wasn't paying attention and I smiled so wide..
I don't for me the game is now nothing but a frustrating mess that I don't even want to play all the enemies are 1 to 2 levels higher than me and I want to relax and "PLAY" my game not get frustrated by it thats not why I bought it and I did pay for this dam thing so they don't have a right to change it hell even windows has to get my permission to change its self why should this be any different
n2it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 07:38 PM   #12
Black_Fatalis

Quote:
I don't for me the game is now nothing but a frustrating mess that I don't even want to play all the enemies are 1 to 2 levels higher than me and I want to relax and "PLAY" my game not get frustrated by it thats not why I bought it and I did pay for this dam thing so they don't have a right to change it hell even windows has to get my permission to change its self why should this be any different
You should have read the terms of agreement before just scrolling down and clicking "accept". They have legal rights to patch their game.
Old 11-14-2010, 04:00 PM   #13
seseorang

1) You don't own the game. Gearbox do
2) You are given a license to play the game
3) Auto updates don't work on Steam. You set it to "don't update" and it does
seseorang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 04:25 PM   #14
Goteki-45

Quote:
What right have you got patching my single player part of Borderlands without my permission
http://store.steampowered.com/subscriber_agreement/

Quote:
Steam and your Subscription(s) require the automatic download and installation of software and other content and updates onto your computer ("Software").
You agreed to that. You gave your permission.
Goteki-45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 02:31 AM   #15
Jncocontrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goteki-45 View Post
http://store.steampowered.com/subscriber_agreement/

You agreed to that. You gave your permission.
It doesn't say you are required to update as it comes out.
Jncocontrol is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Borderlands