Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > General Steam Discussion

Old 11-16-2010, 09:22 AM   #1
Hostile_Rabbit

What are the chances of steam going into mobile gaming market? (iPhone/WP7/Android)

What are the chances of steam going into mobile gaming market? (iPhone/WP7/Android)

so steam is mainly a platform for PC/MAC but they could enter the makret the only thing holding them back is the fact that iPhone/WP7/Android would disagree on having a "mini steam app store" within there app store, since it detracts sales from them to steam. However if there was client model in which games were bought on the computer side, in which a user would login into the mobile device and state which games they owned and download it for them it would be ok.

I know it's like almost impossible of happening but the mobile market is growing, I would like to see what steam's view on this new gaming frontier.

so what are your views?
Old 11-16-2010, 09:27 AM   #2
serieus1

Since Steam is on the Mac, and since Steam is making a difference in how much attention is being given to the Mac by developers now, I bet the iPhone idea isn't far off. A loss of revenue on one side in the store app, but a gain in sales of the iPhone because of Steam support is a balance that would need to be researched.

As far as the rest though, I think Steam is slowly expanding and luckily I think they're being smart and not moving too fast. Next is the PS3. If that works like a charm, then expect MS to cave in and allow Steam on the XBox as well.

The phone applets is a big thing now, so is the social networking games. Though I doubt Valve plans on making games specifically for these games, I wouldn't doubt it if they attached portions of their games to send messages to your phone, or messages to your social networking page. DOTA 2 is already expanding the game outside of its comfort zone and they are hoping to link it to the steam forums. So it's not unlikely that these ideas I wrote above are being thought about as well.

I just hope that they keep incrementally moving forward and never take a large leap. I like this pace, it suits me well.
serieus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 09:42 AM   #3
MADDOGGE

Why not, they seem to be doing everything else they can to keep from releasing Ep3. Our luck they are waiting on MS to cave in and allow Steam before releasing Ep3.

I really see no reason why they couldn't move in that direction. Thing is they aren't a large company and each additional platform without additional hires, reduces personnel and assets available for other projects.
MADDOGGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 10:31 AM   #4
Hostile_Rabbit

well under iphone they could post the steam app as "free" so no charges except the SDK annual charges and do the game transfers through the desktop client
Hostile_Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > General Steam Discussion