Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > H - L > Ion Assault

Old 11-22-2010, 09:46 AM   #1
SonicHdgTrimmer

BUY THIS GAME

In response to the annoyed and negative 'DO NOT BUY THIS GAME' thread Iíve created this thread to show the opposite; why this game is worth buying.

Firstly, if you played the xbox 360 version of Ion Assault before you bought and played this PC version I understand the reasons why you'd be unsatisfied. Yes, the PC version doesnít have a multiplayer component and xbox 360 controllers arenít supported but that doesn't ruin the whole game.

Those of you who hope for the same game you played on the 360 I say you should just stick with the 360 version. Most of you should know by now that console ports donít always include everything the original version had. The PC version was mainly released to widen the audience of people who play the game, especially those PC gamers who donít own a console, and its good for those people.

I agree multiplayer would be a nice addition and would actually add much more value to the game. 360 controller support might be handy for those used of that, but for the 'jerky' control arguments I donít see why some of you are so annoyed, seriously I had no problems controlling with a mouse and keyboard and Iíve played through a few sectors of the campaign, but thatís just me.

I for one thoroughly enjoy Ion Assault on PC, I'd say its the best arcade shooter I've ever played. The fluid particle physics system is really enjoyable to play around with and the visuals look nice too.

Here is my steam game recommendation for you:
"If you enjoy arcade shooters, especially those in which you control a spacecraft, or you like games that revolve around playing with physics, you will no doubt enjoy this game."

For those of you who havenít played this game and fit into the category of gamer I just described I recommend this game for you. But for those 360 gamers who already have Ion Assault (the full version) its not necessary to buy it again for PC.

I just thought this good console port deserved some defence. If this game gets enough support from steam purchases we may just be lucky enough to get some nice updates, controller support was next on their list. But if sufficient support is not received the company wont be able to afford making us updates.
Old 11-22-2010, 11:03 AM   #2
Memphix

so, 'buy a broken game so the dev's might fix it'? pass thanks

noone's just trolling this game in particular (although that other thread title is unneccesarily over the top i agree)
half-azzed ports and broken/missing features are a curse on today's gaming. especially on the PC.
most issues reside in a lack of common performance/control options.
countless, otherwise great games have fallen into this pit and dev's still simply don't learn from it. look how resi4 completely bombed, or the backpeddling Dice did when we got BC2 with a capped framerate and field of view. At least they paid attention - when this gets that attention and the makers show they care how it plays, i'll maybe care about playing it.
Memphix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 11:20 AM   #3
Chizu

Uh, no.
If they fix it I will buy it.
No gamepad support is no buy
There are plenty of other twinstick shooter games on steam and beyond that work with pads on PC.
Not including it was an unfathomably stupid decision.
Chizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 12:00 PM   #4
Bluppomat

If you don't necessarily demand Gamepad controls, the game is a must-buy for any Arcade fan. Until now, I spent more than 15 hours on playing Ion Assault.

That's maybe the reason I am number #1 in the Survival leaderboards
Old 11-22-2010, 06:53 PM   #5
sorted

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluppomat View Post
If you don't necessarily demand Gamepad controls, the game is a must-buy for any Arcade fan. Until now, I spent more than 15 hours on playing Ion Assault.

That's maybe the reason I am number #1 in the Survival leaderboards

You're number 1 cause no one is buying this on the PC without controller support NO ONE
sorted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 08:32 PM   #6
Goteki-45

I bought it :P

I personally don't care if they add controller support or not.
Goteki-45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 08:41 PM   #7
sorted

Goteki- thanks for sharing...
Old 11-22-2010, 08:45 PM   #8
Goteki-45

Glad I could be of service
Old 11-22-2010, 09:32 PM   #9
sorted

heh, I beg yer pardon, I was in no way looking for 'service'...
Old 11-23-2010, 09:50 PM   #10
Goteki-45

Looks like controller support is being patched in now for people who want it, so everyone can be happy
Old 11-29-2010, 02:32 PM   #11
e-head

Talking Yes, buy this game!

Just wanted to say it's a fantastic game! It looks really good, plays excellent (especially now with added controller support) and is just a lot of fun. I also like the level design, because levels don't just get harder but you have to adapt your tactics. It's like Asteroids on speed and with a brain.
The only thing the developer needs to add now, is the ability to navigate the menus with the controller as well
e-head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 03:30 PM   #12
COREPLAY

COREPLAY
We would continue to update the game with new features, if you guys advice your friends to buy Ion Assault (through the new Steam recommendations)
COREPLAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 10:44 PM   #13
SonicHdgTrimmer

Thanks again for the update Coreplay, just tested it out and it works great. Just one thing you's need to do is on Ion Assualt's store page you should display that it now has controller support. Im not sure who handles that (steam, publishers, or developers?) but whoever does should update it soon.

And Ive already made my steam recommendation to my friends
SonicHdgTrimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 01:54 PM   #14
difenderu

Thank you for the great game COREPLAY!!! I love 2-nd part of the campaign and ships there especially. They are awesome!
I know there is people who unhappy with controls, but for me it's totally OK.
Is there any plans for addon?
Old 12-04-2010, 09:49 PM   #15
zpliskin

Banned
Sorry mate,
I am sure you guys are good people and deserve the recognition.

But releasing a game that has less features, less compatibility and less replay values (didn't check but i assume for the same price), how exactly do you expect the PC community to even consider buying your game?

I fail to understand the "Get Less for More" initiative Activision has been throwing at everyone for the past years.

-- edit --
PS: this is coming from someone that is currently torrenting your game as we speak. No intention to buy, nor to play more than 15-20 mins. If I end up playing more than that, I'll buy. The mentioned issues above are almost the sole reasons why i didn't buy it yet. so would love to know what's up.

Last edited by zpliskin: 12-04-2010 at 09:54 PM.
zpliskin is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > H - L > Ion Assault