Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Neverwinter Nights 2

Old 12-27-2010, 10:35 PM   #1
PaganHeart

Post Describe multiplayer please.

What type of multiplayer is in this game?
Can we play through the main mission of the game together?
Old 12-27-2010, 11:35 PM   #2

yes...
192.168.0.1337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 02:59 AM   #3
Rustybobo

Banned
Yes but the best fun is joining custom server where peoples made their own world with dungeon master running it.
Rustybobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 05:59 AM   #4
Svartwolf

the best thing about the multiplayer is that is VERY Flexible, you can play multiplayer in all this forms:

1º The simplest way, playing the main campaign or custom single player campaigns Co-Op.

2º Playing a campaign with friends and a Dungeon Master, the Dungeon Master is a guy with direct control of the resources of the game, who aids and sometimes even creates the storytelling. therefore you can truly Roleplay your characters and see the world react accordingly. Plaing an evil rougue who murdered a wealthy shopkeeper for robbery? the dungeon master could make the family of the shopkeeper try a Vendetta hiring Assasins, influence the post of a wanted sign, so bounty hunters shouls seek you, or maybe picking the attention of a bigger criminal organization who would like you to be on their ranks? it only dependes of teh imagination really, though this way is usually for playing only woth a group of friends.. since its too easy to Grief and ruin the fun for everyone D:

3º PvP arena like servers, where you create a character biuld and pit it against other players character biulds.

4ºLast but not least, Persistent world servers (PW) these are servers with usually 70 or more slots where lots of people play at the same time, creating their own stories on a custom open world, while at the same time there are one or several Dungeons Masters who keep the story progressing. this is by far the most fun IMO, and succesfully combines elements of Pen and Paper (PnP) roleplaying with MMORPG social interactions.
Svartwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 01:49 PM   #5
NWN DM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartwolf View Post
2º Playing a campaign with friends and a Dungeon Master, the Dungeon Master is a guy with direct control of the resources of the game, who aids and sometimes even creates the storytelling. therefore you can truly Roleplay your characters and see the world react accordingly. Plaing an evil rougue who murdered a wealthy shopkeeper for robbery? the dungeon master could make the family of the shopkeeper try a Vendetta hiring Assasins, influence the post of a wanted sign, so bounty hunters shouls seek you, or maybe picking the attention of a bigger criminal organization who would like you to be on their ranks? it only dependes of teh imagination really, though this way is usually for playing only woth a group of friends.. since its too easy to Grief and ruin the fun for everyone D:
This in my experience is by far the most fun. But I really question your last sentence about griefing... if you have a DM, the offending bonehead gets kicked (and these types of games don't generally attract that kind of player regardless).
NWN DM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 04:22 PM   #6
Lokwassen

Svartwolf's post made me regret not buying it. It sounds like it would've been interesting at least, even though I'm tired of anything with elves and orcs.
Lokwassen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 09:04 PM   #7
Svartwolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokwassen View Post
Svartwolf's post made me regret not buying it. It sounds like it would've been interesting at least, even though I'm tired of anything with elves and orcs.
if you decide to purchase anyways (plus probably at the end of the sale there is a chance for some deals repeating) maybe you could try to locate and play the "Planescape stuff" the community have been releasing?

google planescape and you will see that it's a tottaly different tale than your tolkien inspired elfs vs orcs, and i have been playing a planescape persitent world and i can say that it's very active.

plus a community single payer module have been developed for quite a while now that sishes to recreates this setting.. it even have it's own OST.

http://www.gametrailers.com/user-mov...trailer/153077

still the main official campaign it's more cliche fantasy oriented, but it does have lots of "planar" moments, and the first expansion story doesn't revolve arround saving the world, but saving yourself from an horrible curse. the setting is very far from the sword coast that's your typical orcs vs elfs setting, and revolves arround the spirit's world, witches and barbarians, and deities. In fact one of your companions is a half celestial, but i believe there isn't a single elf on that campaign.
Svartwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 06:26 AM   #8
RaranTroff

I didn't like the multi in nwn2 as it didn't work for squat when it came out. The whole having to download a client module for lack of a better term just sucked. It was also lagged to hell and back.

I spent years playing nwn on various servers though and had a blast. I may check out the nwn2 multi again as it may have actually become playable now.
RaranTroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 01:47 PM   #9
NWN DM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaranTroff View Post
I didn't like the multi in nwn2 as it didn't work for squat when it came out. The whole having to download a client module for lack of a better term just sucked. It was also lagged to hell and back.

I spent years playing nwn on various servers though and had a blast. I may check out the nwn2 multi again as it may have actually become playable now.
Yeah, it's just possible the game has improved considerably over the past 4 years.
NWN DM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 06:32 AM   #10
Hellfire_RWS

NWN2 multi has changes a lot. you no longer need to pre download anything.
When you connect to the server the game client automatically downloads all the necessary content.
Old 12-28-2010, 04:33 PM   #11
dunniteowl

Okay, so it's 20 bucks/euros, it's still a damn good deal.

dunniteowl

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Neverwinter Nights 2