Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Suggestions / Ideas

Old 02-01-2011, 03:24 PM   #1
Robofire

Renting Games

I was browsing Direct2Drive, and I noticed they have a feature where users can "rent" a game, $5 for 5 hours of play. If the person then chooses to purchase the game, whatever money he spent on rentals is discounted from the sale, so nobody will end up paying more than the game originally cost. Unfortunately, this promising service turned out to be useless, as only 4 games were available for renting. Any chance a feature like this might be implemented on Steam, for all games? Prices or rental times might vary from game to game. I know I would be significantly more likely to pay $5-$10 for a few hours of gameplay on titles like Dead Space 2 than I am to pay the full $60, and I'm sure a lot of other people feel the same way.

Plus, this way every game has a sort of a demo.

This could make a lot of money for Steam from people who would normally turn to the high seas to play their games.
Old 02-01-2011, 06:10 PM   #2
slayvus

There is roughly 70-80 hours of game play in Divinity II. At $5 for 5 hours thats $70-80 to completely beat the game.

Where as you can buy the game for $30.
slayvus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 07:47 PM   #3
Robofire

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayvus View Post
There is roughly 70-80 hours of game play in Divinity II. At $5 for 5 hours thats $70-80 to completely beat the game.

Where as you can buy the game for $30.
Then you would choose the option of buying the game, obviously. Renting would be an alternative, not the only option.
Robofire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 08:15 PM   #4
thejadefalcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robofire View Post
Any chance a feature like this might be implemented on Steam, for all games?
But then who would buy a Call of Duty game? Activision is so poor, they need every penny you can give them and more! If you let people rent their games, those people would be able to play the entire campaign for $5 and that just won't do!
thejadefalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 01:10 PM   #5
DragonFlyM13

personally i think this won't be considered. would make it WAY too easy to pirate games.
DragonFlyM13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 03:26 PM   #6
thejadefalcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonFlyM13 View Post
personally i think this won't be considered. would make it WAY too easy to pirate games.
How so? It would be fairly easy I think that, if you can set up a renting system, to restrict it to X user for Y time.
Old 04-10-2011, 04:02 PM   #7
Monster_user

How is renting different from free weekends?
Monster_user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 05:05 PM   #8
Endsieg

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster_user View Post
How is renting different from free weekends?
Free weekends are good, they promote sometimes a good game but with a dead mp and make more people interested in their product, thus increasing the activity on the specific game community.

While Renting games are only the most thing ever.
Endsieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 01:48 AM   #9
thejadefalcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endsieg View Post
Free weekends are good, they promote sometimes a good game but with a dead mp and make more people interested in their product, thus increasing the activity on the specific game community.

While Renting games are only the most thing ever.
Yes, because that totally explains why they are.
Old 04-10-2011, 04:10 PM   #10
DarthPsymon

I've made this suggestion before, ish, and I'm generally in favour of renting games on steam.
DarthPsymon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 11:08 PM   #11
albion86

Thumbs up For sure.

I was just thinking the same damn thing, I think Steam could conquer some serious territory over others. Like other competitors who allow people to rent console games, I don't think they do PC games because that just wouldn't even work XD. Anywho, STEAM should freaking go for it and I love the whole freakin idea!

Old 08-16-2011, 07:21 AM   #12
Acetyl

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by albion86 View Post
I was just thinking the same damn thing, I think Steam could conquer some serious territory over others. Like other competitors who allow people to rent console games, I don't think they do PC games because that just wouldn't even work XD. Anywho, STEAM should freaking go for it and I love the whole freakin idea!

There is something wrong with you.
Acetyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 11:59 PM   #13
TrueBlade

Banned
Publishers wouldn't make as much money if they let people rent their games so they won't do it.
TrueBlade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 09:03 PM   #14
tdring

Banned
renting games

if you ask me it would be a good idea
instead have a model like this
steam pays for X many game copies at X cost of the digital download (or retail -10% or whatever)
then steam rents these copies to users and gains the money back from the servers

the game company gets the same amount of money because there product is paid for in full based on servers

and to make it so steam cant have an endless pit of revenue make it so that each server can only be used for X amount of rental copies

it would make it so the game reaches more players and gets more people to play
it makes it so steam has to rebuy the copies
steam makes a ittle money the dev makes money and steams users are happy with purchases
and most likely more copies of the game are bought because they were able to try it
tdring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 09:09 PM   #15
Heart's Soul

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdring View Post
if you ask me it would be a good idea
instead have a model like this
steam pays for X many game copies at X cost of the digital download (or retail -10% or whatever)
then steam rents these copies to users and gains the money back from the servers

the game company gets the same amount of money because there product is paid for in full based on servers

and to make it so steam cant have an endless pit of revenue make it so that each server can only be used for X amount of rental copies

it would make it so the game reaches more players and gets more people to play
it makes it so steam has to rebuy the copies
steam makes a ittle money the dev makes money and steams users are happy with purchases
and most likely more copies of the game are bought because they were able to try it
Better idea. You get the game at only 25% the cost, but you can only play for 1 week before it forcibly uninstalls EVERY LAST GAME FILE, with the registry being the last to avoid free copies.

While that may open a way for pirates, can't the game also be limited in the content that you have, so you can tell if it's a pirated copy or not?

Now, let's have a better AND realistic idea. Let's have demos for games. Like, you know, what we already have and what I decide my purchases off of? Why have demos when you can have rentals?
Heart's Soul is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Suggestions / Ideas