Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Suggestions / Ideas

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2011, 03:24 PM   #1
Robofire
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Reputation: 75
Posts: 1,351
Renting Games

I was browsing Direct2Drive, and I noticed they have a feature where users can "rent" a game, $5 for 5 hours of play. If the person then chooses to purchase the game, whatever money he spent on rentals is discounted from the sale, so nobody will end up paying more than the game originally cost. Unfortunately, this promising service turned out to be useless, as only 4 games were available for renting. Any chance a feature like this might be implemented on Steam, for all games? Prices or rental times might vary from game to game. I know I would be significantly more likely to pay $5-$10 for a few hours of gameplay on titles like Dead Space 2 than I am to pay the full $60, and I'm sure a lot of other people feel the same way.

Plus, this way every game has a sort of a demo.

This could make a lot of money for Steam from people who would normally turn to the high seas to play their games.
Robofire is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 06:10 PM   #2
slayvus
 
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Reputation: 787
Posts: 2,728
There is roughly 70-80 hours of game play in Divinity II. At $5 for 5 hours thats $70-80 to completely beat the game.

Where as you can buy the game for $30.
slayvus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 07:47 PM   #3
Robofire
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Reputation: 75
Posts: 1,351
Quote:
Originally Posted by slayvus View Post
There is roughly 70-80 hours of game play in Divinity II. At $5 for 5 hours thats $70-80 to completely beat the game.

Where as you can buy the game for $30.
Then you would choose the option of buying the game, obviously. Renting would be an alternative, not the only option.
Robofire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 08:15 PM   #4
thejadefalcon
 
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Reputation: 62
Posts: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robofire View Post
Any chance a feature like this might be implemented on Steam, for all games?
But then who would buy a Call of Duty game? Activision is so poor, they need every penny you can give them and more! If you let people rent their games, those people would be able to play the entire campaign for $5 and that just won't do!
thejadefalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 01:10 PM   #5
DragonFlyM13
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Reputation: 9
Posts: 286
personally i think this won't be considered. would make it WAY too easy to pirate games.
DragonFlyM13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 03:26 PM   #6
thejadefalcon
 
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Reputation: 62
Posts: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonFlyM13 View Post
personally i think this won't be considered. would make it WAY too easy to pirate games.
How so? It would be fairly easy I think that, if you can set up a renting system, to restrict it to X user for Y time.
thejadefalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 04:02 PM   #7
Monster_user
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Reputation: 170
Posts: 1,107
How is renting different from free weekends?
Monster_user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 05:05 PM   #8
Endsieg
 
Banned
Join Date: Feb 2011
Reputation: 55
Posts: 893
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster_user View Post
How is renting different from free weekends?
Free weekends are good, they promote sometimes a good game but with a dead mp and make more people interested in their product, thus increasing the activity on the specific game community.


While Renting games are only the most thing ever.
Endsieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 01:48 AM   #9
thejadefalcon
 
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Reputation: 62
Posts: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endsieg View Post
Free weekends are good, they promote sometimes a good game but with a dead mp and make more people interested in their product, thus increasing the activity on the specific game community.


While Renting games are only the most thing ever.
Yes, because that totally explains why they are.
thejadefalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 04:10 PM   #10
DarthPsymon
 
Join Date: May 2004
Reputation: 134
Posts: 2,023
I've made this suggestion before, ish, and I'm generally in favour of renting games on steam.
DarthPsymon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 11:08 PM   #11
albion86
 
Guest
Posts: n/a
Thumbs up For sure.

I was just thinking the same damn thing, I think Steam could conquer some serious territory over others. Like other competitors who allow people to rent console games, I don't think they do PC games because that just wouldn't even work XD. Anywho, STEAM should freaking go for it and I love the whole freakin idea!

  Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 07:21 AM   #12
Acetyl
 
Banned
Join Date: Dec 2010
Reputation: 169
Posts: 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by albion86 View Post
I was just thinking the same damn thing, I think Steam could conquer some serious territory over others. Like other competitors who allow people to rent console games, I don't think they do PC games because that just wouldn't even work XD. Anywho, STEAM should freaking go for it and I love the whole freakin idea!

There is something wrong with you.
Acetyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 11:59 PM   #13
TrueBlade
 
Banned
Join Date: Apr 2011
Reputation: 234
Posts: 461
Publishers wouldn't make as much money if they let people rent their games so they won't do it.
TrueBlade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 09:03 PM   #14
tdring
 
Banned
Join Date: May 2011
Reputation: 0
Posts: 9
renting games

if you ask me it would be a good idea
instead have a model like this
steam pays for X many game copies at X cost of the digital download (or retail -10% or whatever)
then steam rents these copies to users and gains the money back from the servers

the game company gets the same amount of money because there product is paid for in full based on servers

and to make it so steam cant have an endless pit of revenue make it so that each server can only be used for X amount of rental copies

it would make it so the game reaches more players and gets more people to play
it makes it so steam has to rebuy the copies
steam makes a ittle money the dev makes money and steams users are happy with purchases
and most likely more copies of the game are bought because they were able to try it
tdring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 09:09 PM   #15
Heart's Soul
 
Banned
Join Date: Aug 2011
Reputation: 9
Posts: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdring View Post
if you ask me it would be a good idea
instead have a model like this
steam pays for X many game copies at X cost of the digital download (or retail -10% or whatever)
then steam rents these copies to users and gains the money back from the servers

the game company gets the same amount of money because there product is paid for in full based on servers

and to make it so steam cant have an endless pit of revenue make it so that each server can only be used for X amount of rental copies

it would make it so the game reaches more players and gets more people to play
it makes it so steam has to rebuy the copies
steam makes a ittle money the dev makes money and steams users are happy with purchases
and most likely more copies of the game are bought because they were able to try it
Better idea. You get the game at only 25% the cost, but you can only play for 1 week before it forcibly uninstalls EVERY LAST GAME FILE, with the registry being the last to avoid free copies.

While that may open a way for pirates, can't the game also be limited in the content that you have, so you can tell if it's a pirated copy or not?

Now, let's have a better AND realistic idea. Let's have demos for games. Like, you know, what we already have and what I decide my purchases off of? Why have demos when you can have rentals?
Heart's Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Suggestions / Ideas


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:31 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site Content Copyright Valve Corporation 1998-2014, All Rights Reserved.