Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Cryostasis

Old 03-18-2011, 05:47 PM   #1
Jashin

Banned
Just finished, some thoughts and a tip

The game runs on single cpu only, so high ghz duo core will be just fine, low ghz quad not so much. Also turn off HD audio if you're running onboard sound, will help with performance by a lot.

Anyway finishing the game sort of gives me a complete perspective on the game. It's pretty good, and I'm a pretty harsh critic, coming from the old Origin Systems angle of Deus Ex and System Shock as my standard bearers.

I only found out about the HD audio thing after I finished it, but I still had fun despite that. The introduction to the story is sort of abrupt so people who don't pay close attention will not catch it, on the other hand it's perfect those who just want to start playing.

The overall arc is good, the ending is good. Unlike many games with inane, cookiecutter story, this one makes good use of an old Russian folktale and incorporates it well. The creature designs are fitting and have symbolic meaning if you pay attention (or read up on that); the flying one's my favorite, creepy and believable. The finale is great. I know it's hard to do endgame finales in a FPS cus typical boss fights don't jive with the fps mechanics, but I didn't expect it to be so much more creative than any other games in recent memory. The arctic effects are great, your weapon and UI will frost over when you're on the ship's deck, the patterns of ice on the hull, the icicles, etc. etc.

85% and I'm not really a fan of the corridor shooters. Honestly for people who love the space slashers like quake and dead space, this one's better and stands apart from them in interesting ways.

Last edited by Jashin: 03-18-2011 at 05:51 PM.
Old 03-19-2011, 12:45 AM   #2
johnno

Thanks for that I've had it since one of last years sales. I'm struggling to get it to run decently with my Athlon x2 6000 and 8800gt @ 1920 x 1080. I might leave it till I build a new system?
johnno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 12:57 AM   #3
Slaizt

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnno View Post
Thanks for that I've had it since one of last years sales. I'm struggling to get it to run decently with my Athlon x2 6000 and 8800gt @ 1920 x 1080. I might leave it till I build a new system?
I'm more or less running the exact same system as you (identical CPU and gfx-card) and I got it to run pretty good. You'll definitely have to tweak a bit, turning things on and off and check each time if you gained a few FPS. I remember the audio having a big part in it indeed so poke around with that a quicky.
Now it was some time since I played it so I don't remember if I managed to run it in 1920x1080 fluently or if I dropped it down to 1600x900. The game still looks great and the atmosphere is what you're really after anyway.

@Jashin nice little summary! Pretty much hit the spot
Slaizt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 05:30 PM   #4
Jashin

Banned
I mean you can try it, it didn't run smooth for me in many places on my 9800gtx at 1680, but it's a corridor fps where you fight enemies 1-2 at a time, so it's still playable.

The mouse feel was noticeably sluggish for me, I got through it. I tried turning off HD audio and it did seem to smooth it out a bit. With some more tweaking it could run better. It's kindava shame the dev's defunct already.
Jashin is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Cryostasis