Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Supreme Commander series

Old 03-24-2011, 06:46 AM   #1
Servitor

Supreme Commander 2 >:3 ! ?

So hello there. I didn't give supcom2 much attention when it came out nor had the cash to pay for it.

Now I try to read about it but its mostly "ITS BAD DERP". Could someone tell me if there's any good things and improvements compared to the first? Also are maps really very small now? Or just smaller.

!
Old 03-24-2011, 08:17 AM   #2
abortabortabort

The maps aren't smaller. The units are bigger and move faster.

If you are expecting Supcom1 or FA, then don't get this. This isn't a rehash like StarCraft2. If you want a strategically deep game, that is easier to grasp, this might be what you want.

This game doesn't alienate new people by massive amounts of useless units. Instead, throughout the game, you might only have 5 types of basic land units. Basic land units get upgraded through the technology tree to become your higher tech basic units. For example, a loyalist (cybran starting assault bot) can get + 30% firerate, jump jets, mega armor (activated ability to reduce damage), a personal shield, +50% damage and hp. Throughout the game, the loyalist will be what you use on the front line, though it will get additional roles (jump jets).

You won't have a complicated economy based on adjacency. Frankly, it was an interesting idea, but it didn't add much strategic depth, and it did make it hard for a new person to grasp and for them to figure out whether it is better to place power by mm's or to place storage.

Getting one experimental is not a game ender, unless you rush to a minor one. They are more of a integral part of your army. You might need several to break through, but they are not as expensive.

The tier system has been changed to the point you won't recognize it straight off. It has been changed to a tech tree. You get 5 tiers now, though they are a bit faster to get to.

Economy is no longer gain/drain based. You have to pay for a unit in full before it starts to build.

You can only effectively use two engineers on a factory to speed factories. You cannot use multiple engineers to speed buildings.
abortabortabort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 02:55 AM   #3
deebs17

you can have three engineers on a building or your commander
Old 08-25-2011, 10:48 PM   #4
abortabortabort

Quote:
Originally Posted by deebs17 View Post
you can have three engineers on a building or your commander
engineers cost about 68 mass. That's about 198 mass, to increase a building that costs 240 mass speed 50%. Ofcourse, after veteranacy of factories you can get cheaper. The biggest thing you must see is that the 3rd engineer adds about 3% more build speed. Not a good long term strategy, yet there are times when seconds have counted. Also consider the time it takes for the unit to exit. I'm not sure if engineer augmented speed helps that.
Old 03-24-2011, 08:28 AM   #5
LiveOrDie

If you loved the 1st game then the 2nd will be some what of a let down for you it was for me, If you buy it just down think of it as the same game because its not.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:07 AM   #6
abortabortabort

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveOrDie View Post
If you loved the 1st game then the 2nd will be some what of a let down for you it was for me, If you buy it just down think of it as the same game because its not.
Who in their right mind would buy a different game thinking it was the same game? When you buy Supcom2, you shouldn't expect it to be supcom1 or FA.

I loved TA. SupCom was quite close to just being an improvement on it. I loved the variety in the units, but in the end, you don't use that many different ones. Once you advance a tier, you don't build lower tier units (except for fodder, which means one type of unit).
Old 03-24-2011, 09:22 AM   #7
11sert11

Quote:
Originally Posted by abortabortabort View Post

You can only effectively use two engineers on a factory to speed factories. You cannot use multiple engineers to speed buildings.
Actually, 3 engineers is the most you need for any factory, any more will add less than 1% to build speed, you can have as many engies as you want on factories, but a factory with 999 engineers produces the same rate as a factory with 3. Oh and make sure your comp is as far ahead of the min requierments as possible so u dont end up like me on a not so good laptop not being able to play multiplayer cuase everyone knows i lag and instantly kicks me from 98% of the games i join :P
11sert11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 04:15 PM   #8
Badzilla

Quote:
Who in their right mind would buy a different game thinking it was the same game?
Anyone who buys games.
Badzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 09:47 AM   #9
Ric666

Quote:
This isn't a rehash like StarCraft2.
Don't talk crap please. People that say Starcraft2 is just a rehash have absolutely no clue what they're talking about.....

Anyway, back on topic:

It's quite different from the first one. The initial release was pretty crappy but after some patches the exonomy has been changed a little & the game is alot of fun.

I would advise you watch some youtube videos to see if it interests you.

also make sure you have a really fast broadband connection if you're going to play multi. It's ridiculously heavy on that & quite oftens ends up lagging if you're playing anything more than 2v2. More than any other game I've ever palyed tbh.

all in all though, its very enjoyable.

Last edited by Ric666: 03-24-2011 at 09:50 AM.
Ric666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 10:32 AM   #10
White Castle

Pick it up during a sale. You can't go wrong.
White Castle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 03:13 PM   #11
Servitor

thanks for the replies.

So the reason many people didn't like it so much is because they were expecting the first game. (kinda what I have atm with Crysis 2 o.0) Still I like the idea of less units and active abilities, as well as a Tech tree. makes it a bit more tactical.

So I think I'll try it again. :3 Thanks!

I had an awesome supply line going on in SC1 where my factories pumped out soldiers, transports ferried them to enemy base and all that, surrounding it and besieging the shields with artillery and air support, when suddenly that alien super-robot game into my base and messes up. :| I was far from defeated but I just couldn't bother to build all that infrastructure back up.
Servitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 05:23 PM   #12
abortabortabort

The first engineer increases the build speed by 33%, the second by 11%, the third by 3.666%. I consider that 3% negligible, since it would be more efficient to just build an additional factory.

Yes, I know Starcraft2 isn't just a rehash. They have added a few new features (like a structure that shields units). I just haven't found any new ideas in it, not to say that it isn't a fun game. Blizzard generally makes really fun games, with plenty of replayability. They just aren't innovative.
Old 03-24-2011, 11:00 PM   #13
tippy25

Do not judge this game by its demo. The demo is/was utter fecal matter (assuming it hasn't gotten the updates the current game has). They stripped out a lot of the unnecessary stuff from its predecessors, like the redundancy in the tier system, and made the game play a good bit faster and more streamlined.

At first, I was upset. I wondered, "Where did my Forged Alliance go?" I felt cheated. I initially wanted FA 2.0, but the more I played it, the more I saw things I liked. I was doing ok against the AI, the Normal AI would give me a bit of trouble, but I've never really been that good at RTS games, so it wasn't unexpected. I was using the same methodology I used in FA, focusing on defense and building up a massive army to walk over my enemy's base. It wouldn't always work, too. There were no adjacency bonuses or tiered eco units to bump my production, and I couldn't produce units fast enough. Then I played a game online with another human being who actually understood how to get things going quickly. By the time I was finally able to support 2 land factories, he was pumping out Megaliths like it was nothing. Fortunately, it was co-op. I learned a lot from watching that replay.

For an analogy, this game is to Supreme Commander 1 & Forged Alliance what Dragon Age 2 is to Dragon Age Origins. DA:O is a great game and I love it, but there are a couple things that annoy me and some useless features. Rogues were weak warriors that could pick locks and sneak around (stealth is used very rarely), combat was slow especially for the warrior w/ a 2-handed weapon that would often miss, mages were powerful yet boring. DA2 fixed all of that and a few other things. I think this is an accurate analogy.
tippy25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 02:21 PM   #14
Servitor

Edit.

So, I purchased the game and gifted it to a friend of mine. We played some multilayer matches. We seem to have some problems with our builders not constructing stuff sometimes, just standing in the plans. Pretty sure we have the resources required.

But other than that, this game is great! Its a more polished and balanced version of the original. I love how the units neatly form a cube, and the needless Tier system is gone. 8| So far, enjoying this purchase a lot.

Last edited by Servitor: 03-25-2011 at 09:05 PM.
Servitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 03:23 AM   #15
kurukx

This game sucks. TA and Supreme Commander are still great games. Better than this crap.

Customer view out !

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Supreme Commander series