Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Age of Wonders

Old 04-28-2011, 12:27 AM   #1
Davespice

Smile Age of Wonders Email Wrapper: Play by email (PBEM) working again

Dear all;

Over the past six months I've been working on a Windows program to allow Age of Wonders players to use the old play by email feature again, but with modern email accounts like GMail, AOL, Windows Live and Yahoo (and it's totally free). The games only work with really old email servers, but with my program they will work on anything. You can still use the manual sending option, but this is a lot of fuss and hassle (in my view) - so the main point of this program is that it gets the automated email sending working again (i.e. no fuss or hassle).

I'm posting because I haven't actually tested it with someone who uses the trilogy pack from Steam. I've only tested it on all the original CD versions and also with Shadow Magic from Steam.

So if you would like to help, you would potentially be helping out everyone else who also has the trilogy pack, let me know and I'll explain what would be involved.
Just so you know, Triumph Studios have tested it, they said they like it and have linked it from their site links page, facebook and twitter pages. So this is a serious project, we also have about 20 - 30 people from the heaven forum who're using it every day.

Anyway, thanks for reading!

---
The Age of Wonders games were released in a time where most ISPs provided open SMTP servers, not requiring explicit authentication or any encryption. These days, and since the age of SPAM, those kinds of SMTP servers are rare. The development of SMTP servers over time effectively broke the play by email automatic-send function of the game. Players could still use the manual sending option, to use their own email client, but this involved manual repetitious actions for each game played.

Recently though a group of Age of Wonders fans have been working together to develop an application to restore the automatic send ability. The Age of Wonders Email Wrapper is a lightweight application that is run on the same PC as the game. It works by emulating an open SMTP server and accepting SMTP requests from the game.

When the game sends an email it will connect to the Age of Wonders Email Wrapper, as it would a real server, to send the email. The Wrapper then receives the email and sends it out over the internet using a modern SMTP server specified by the user and with whatever authentication or encryption is necessary.

The Wrapper can also download email games from IMAP and POP3 email accounts. So it essentially encapsulates the entire Email functionality of the game.
---

Demo Video
david dot honess at gmail dot com

Last edited by Davespice: 05-03-2011 at 05:33 AM.
Old 05-18-2011, 02:50 AM   #2
Seraosha

I'm sorry to say that this being the internet, I felt compelled to double check those Triumph approved claims. Turns out you weren't kidding.

I think it's really cool what you're doing. It's great when the community gets together to restore the full functionality of old games. I've never, ever even tried AoW online, but if you still need to test the first AoW via Steam I'd be happy to help out.
Old 05-19-2011, 12:29 AM   #3
Davespice

Hi Seraosha;

In a nutshell with PBEM you’re emailing a file around in a circle of players. Each player opens the file with the game, takes their turn, this modifies the file slightly and then you send it onto the next person in the loop. Repeat until game over.

I'm actually not short of testers at all. Currently I have 34 people! =)
The Wrapper is now in it's final Beta build anyway. It'll soon be up on a http download link for the public to use. For now though people need to join a drop box folder to obtain it. I'll do another post here to let everyone know when we go live

Let me know if you want to join the ranks of testers!
Davespice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 04:33 AM   #4
Davespice

FYI all, the Beta Test phase is complete. We have gone live!
Download here
Old 08-26-2011, 07:12 PM   #5
Planetdune

Thanks for this !
Planetdune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 02:10 AM   #6
Davespice

Announcement:
FINALLY!

The new version of the Wrapper is now available to download!

This version is a LOT easier to set up, it just needs your email address and login password. It also supports 10 languages. English, French, German, Spanish, Dutch, Danish, Polish, Finnish, Romanian, Greek and Russian. There are also various UI and usability improvements.

If you are upgrading from the previous version, please uninstall the old version before installing this new one. So exit the Wrapper if it's running, Control Panel / Add Remove Programs - Uninstall the Wrapper from there. It will keep your old config!

Cheers!

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Age of Wonders