Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Steel Storm: Burning Retribution

Old 05-25-2011, 02:26 PM   #1
zratchet

Steel Storm Volunteer Moderator
Cool Suggestions/Ideas

NOTE: Posting here *does not mean* that an idea will be implemented, but we would like to have the communications channel open.

Thanks for suggestions so far and we will update when we have news.

(we have internally updated our todo list to include all suggestions made since 7:26PM CST (GMT-6) 5/28/2011)

Last edited by zratchet: 05-28-2011 at 05:27 PM.
Old 05-26-2011, 07:52 AM   #2
xX_Renegade_Xx

I'll go for Survival although I'm not sure if it would work in this game but I'll suggest it anyway.

Arena style map with multiple spawn points for the aliens to spawn from, power-ups in the centre of the map around a specific object the hover tanks have to protect, once it's been destroyed the game is over.

I have another gametype too, Search and Rescue.

Players have to attack a heavily fortified area and rescue 3 smaller tanks (the little blue one) which are held in 3 different locations within this area, the problem is, it will be twice as hard getting back out as it was to get in. Two of the three tanks must survive.

Last edited by xX_Renegade_Xx: 05-26-2011 at 09:07 AM. Reason: Addition.
xX_Renegade_Xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 02:44 PM   #3
NoBrainer

One simple suggestion:
On a dedicated server, when completing Ep 1, just auto run Ep 2 abefore you start on Ep 1 again.

One difficult suggestion:
Drop the weapon you are replacing so others can pick it up.
NoBrainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 02:04 PM   #4
xX_Renegade_Xx

After our games tonight some things need altering I think, especially in MP:

The laser beams range is too high and should be shortened, it renders the rockets useless against it as they don't have enough range.

Team Deathmatch would be a nice addition to MP.

CTF needs a little work, the flags that are neutral need to appear on the map or the flag should be returned to the respective base. If a player disconnects (as I did) and loses the flag it becomes neutral but doesn't show where it was last dropped.

All dead ends should have a power up of some kind incase a player who has recently spawned is cornered and is up against another player armed with that laser beam, gives them a fighting chance at least.

I forgot to add too, when joining a CTF game it gives me an option to join either the red or blue team, if the red team has 2 players and the blue team has 5 can I still join the blue team and stack? I never actually tried to see if I could but something to bear in mind maybe, auto-balance for teams to avoid stacking.

Last edited by xX_Renegade_Xx: 05-28-2011 at 02:58 PM. Reason: Addition.
Old 05-28-2011, 03:31 PM   #5
flava_clown

Quote:
Originally Posted by xX_Renegade_Xx View Post
Team Deathmatch would be a nice addition to MP.
yes that would be really nice.

other than that:

1a. like NoBrainer suggested already, it would be good, if we pick up a weapon which replace an existing one that the replaced one would be dropped by us, so that we can decide if we prefer the new weapon or the old one. esp. usefull in the beginning to try other weapons out. and there are some maps where it is really difficult not to pick unwanted weapons up.

1b. in the game, Nation Red you have a "weapon lock" key, which the player can use not to pick up other weapons, which would replace the existing one. in Steel Storm it could be used once you have a "weapon set" that you like and which you would like to keep. (so one key only which affects all weapons)

2. it would be nice to have a few more ships (esp. once you have the chase cam unlocked). they could be made as unlockables. e.g. one new ship after you finish ep1 and another one after finishing ep2 or the half of ep2 (coz ep2 is quite large)

3. in multiplayer, some more infos would be good, like playernames over the ships, different colored ships in the minimap, some symbol over a ship when this player is chatting or in the menu/overlay... and so on

4. the use of some steam features. e.g. today it was a bit difficult to find you guys coz there is no way to "join" through steam. also steam achievements (just mentioned again for completness) and cloud.

5. vote/kick features for the server...

well, i hope you can remember what else people suggested during the session today...
flava_clown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 01:46 PM   #6
Shaori

Hi,
ok so here are some wishes:

1. More different weapons.
2. Main weapons switchable (spread shot, single shot and so on). You hold them (maybe not all of them, a limited number like 2 or 3) and switch between them if you want/need to.
3. Maybe give weapons some kind of damagetype like elementdamage or bullettypes (ie. piercing, explosive) and make enemies more vulnerable to some and resistant to others. But not to the extend that i need to switch weapons all the time.
4. Secret areas with goodies. Maybe earnings for finding all of them. Make sure to show somewhere how many secrets are to find in a map.
5. How about drones like in good old R-Type style games? They follow your tank (maybe surround it) and help you defeating enemies.
6. Mines and other traps (like freeze or stun, explosive, disorient (enemies turn against each other for a short time)).
7. More environments
8. More enemies (for example flying enemies that can only be attacked with aa weapons)
9. Lots of things could be upgradeable (weapons, drones, tank)
10. Of course more Episodes

Well thats it for the first try.

kind regards
Shaori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 04:39 PM   #7
motorsep

Kot-in-Action
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by flava_clown View Post
yes that would be really nice.

4. the use of some steam features. e.g. today it was a bit difficult to find you guys coz there is no way to "join" through steam. also steam achievements (just mentioned again for completness) and cloud.
Unfortunately this is not possible currently. Steamworks can not be implemented directly into the game's engine. There is a workaround and engine guys will be working on it in the very near future.

Last edited by zratchet: 06-02-2011 at 04:43 PM.
motorsep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 04:49 PM   #8
motorsep

Kot-in-Action
Quote:
The laser beams range is too high and should be shortened, it renders the rockets useless against it as they don't have enough range.
Beam, Flack Gun, Miniguns cause lesser damage with the distance. Basically if you are off-screen and get hit, the damage is insignificant. Now if that doesn't work, then it's a bug

As I recall, though, it was working the way it was planned.
motorsep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 05:27 PM   #9
zratchet

Steel Storm Volunteer Moderator
Question

Does anyone have any ideas for enemies and/or weapons? (if this deserves its own thread, make one and I will sticky it, or just let me know)
zratchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 02:26 AM   #10
Shaori

Quote:
Originally Posted by zratchet View Post
Does anyone have any ideas for enemies and/or weapons? (if this deserves its own thread, make one and I will sticky it, or just let me know)
Hi,
well i thought a little over this, here are some ideas. The problem is, it has to fit the setting, the "Bouncing Beach Ball of Doom" would certainly not make it into the game

1. Grenade Thrower. Grenades can bounce off walls and so be thrown around corners.
2. Sonic weapon. Maybe piercing through enemies.
3. Indirect weapon Laser pointer for designating targets for a bombing run or artillery strike. This could also be used for a new mission type -> go in, don't enter this heavily guarded place, but designate it for wipeout.
4. Not a real weapon but still cool in my opinion, EMP bomb which immobilizes some enemies (maybe only for a short amount of time), so you can get out of some bad looking battles. This could also be used by enemies.
5. Anti Air guns for new Air enemies.

Of course some weapons should have a huge cooldown or even a limited amount of uses (more to find in secret places or as rewards for doing secondary missions). Or when equipping some of the better weapons (which would make everything easier) maybe they are too heavy for the tank, so it moves slower. This way the game would not become too easy.

Enemies are not easy to think of but here are my first ideas:

1. Mechs. There are nearly unlimited cool possibilities for mechs. For example, a walker or tripod. Even huge bosses would be cool. Lots of cannons attached to it and very well armored, but slow moving.
2. Some kind of bike or trike. Until now all enemies are quite slow, so something quicker moving and potentially dangerous would be a nice addition. Maybe they could rush in on you und throw grenades or just try drive by shooting.
3. Laser designator. They linger around their friends and when they see you they try to highlight you for a certain amount of time. If they succeed, you will be attacked by a bomb run or artillery strike or laser from a satellite.
4. Air enemies that can only be fought with aa guns. Of course fast moving and dangerous. Maybe throw bombs or EMP.

Thats it for now, i hope something is usable. Please excuse any spelling errors, english is not my native language.

kind regards
Shaori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 01:10 AM   #11
xX_Renegade_Xx

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorsep View Post
Beam, Flack Gun, Miniguns cause lesser damage with the distance. Basically if you are off-screen and get hit, the damage is insignificant. Now if that doesn't work, then it's a bug
I agree to an extent but if you're on-screen and only have the rockets the range is not as long as the beam so to do any significant damage with the rockets you have to be up-close, that means you moving into the damage zone of that beam and the damage is far higher at short range.

Edit:
Shaori, I like your suggestions too

Last edited by xX_Renegade_Xx: 06-03-2011 at 01:12 AM.
Old 06-03-2011, 01:43 PM   #12
daemon_kia

Quote:
I agree to an extent but if you're on-screen and only have the rockets the range is not as long as the beam so to do any significant damage with the rockets you have to be up-close, that means you moving into the damage zone of that beam and the damage is far higher at short range.

Edit:
Shaori, I like your suggestions too
Weapon damage actually doesn't change based on distance. If your target is somewhat off screen it won't take damage. Also if AI is somewhat off screen it won't shoot at you.

Beam does do a lot of damage, but you have to hold it on your target the entire time. Rockets actually do more damage than the beam if you can hit your target with the majority of your rockets. So, beam damage doesn't increase if you get closer.
daemon_kia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 05:36 PM   #13
rezen

A short speed burst in a direction. Or you could call it a dash??

Thanks

Last edited by rezen: 06-08-2011 at 05:38 PM.
Old 07-16-2011, 11:21 PM   #14
Sian

My ideas after playing for 1 day:

What is the purpose of recovering weapons? Sure you get it in the next mission and can't lose it if you die, but it would be nice if you can pick your loadout from recovered weapons before the start of each mission. That would give a tangible reward for finishing the mission with a new weapon.

As far as the weapons themselves, gatling and flak seem to be pretty well interchangeable, with the only difference being burst damage vs constant.

Storm Plow/Spread/Shield Oh jeez I just realized storm shield blocks enemy shots. I may have to re-evaluate, but storm plow is just such a good damage bonus it's hard to give up.

Homing missiles are uber. Rocket pack might have more DPS but you can't stack them like homers, and being able to shoot around corners is huge.

Next best is the MIRV, being able to attack from behind cover is amazing.

On the energy side of things, I have yet to figure out a reason to carry around the lightning weapon. Sure it stuns and chains, but its range is terrible and fire rate is slow. There's just no reason to take this over the beam.

What are the structures in enemy bases that shoot a pillar of light in the air? What do they do and why are they indestructible?

I wore out the right trigger on my logitech rumblepad2 you guys. This is totally your fault.
Sian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 01:59 AM   #15
the.snake

A few ideas

Great game, guys! I've had a lot of fun playing it and I'd definitely get a sequel. Here are my suggestions:

1. More content.
I think the game would benefit greatly if it had a lot more missions. My second suggestion might take care of that quite naturally.

2. Randomly generated levels.
Similarily to how levels are generated in Diablo for instance. That will take a while to implement, but the gratitude of the players should be well worth the time. Say goodbye to monotony of replaying the same level over and over again. If done correctly, it might even make creating the missions themselves easier. Provide the generator a set of constraints and comes out mission. Easier said than done, I know. But this way the player could simply generate a level whenever they wanted to play for a little while.

3. More tougher enemies.
Fighting Tanks is great. More of those tough-to-kill units would be nice.

4. Boss fights.
Some missions could be culminated by a bigger fight.

5. Different music.
I appreciate the effort of the current composers. It's tough to come up with good music and the current one is really good. Still, I think something like the music from Freespace 2 would bring a lot of special climate to the game.

6. Dynamic music.
Distinguishing between the less-action and the more-action moments through the use of music might also be a good idea. Especially when enemies suddenly appear around the player's ship and during the encounters with more difficult enemies.

Cheers,
--Snake

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Steel Storm: Burning Retribution