Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Beat Hazard

Old 07-06-2011, 10:58 AM   #1
Starg

Cold Beam Games
Exclamation Common BH problems & solutions

Hi all,

I just thought I'd roll up the various issues people have had with the game and offer some solutions to them.

General:
- Ultra uses DX9 where Classic uses DX8. Make sure you have DX9c or later: http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=35

BH Crashes / resets on start up:

- Try disabling the Steam overlay. (Uncheck the box next to "Enable Steam Community In-Game" in the game settings in Steam)
- Set up a pref command and run in a window. Try this command first: CustomRez 1 800 600;
- The games will crash if you have AmBX running in the background. (Disable this and it should be fine)
- You can also try this: Go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\beat hazard. Then go to beat hazards properties and select the compatibility tab, there tick the "Disable display scaling on high DPI settings" option.

BH stuck on loading screen:
This is where the game is trying to load your save game from the Cloud, there are a number of possible fixes:
- Steam cloud support must be turned on for BH (Go to steam, then Steam+Settings then Downloads+Cloud and there enable Steam Cloud)
- Try playing a game with Steam in offline mode. Then play online. This can cause a re-sync and fix it
- Try deleting the file BeatHazardSongSave.sav (This will be somewhere in your appdata/roaming folder)
- It could also be a corrupt save (see next comment)

BH crashes after loading screen:
This could be a corrupt save game.
- Set up a pref command file ( http://forums.steampowered.com/forum....php?t=1276610 ) and use the ResetMySongSaves_NoReally; command.
If this doesn't work, try the NewSaveGame; command
Remember to remove these commands once the game is working again.
- Delete the files in the '[user]/appdata/roaming/Beat Hazard' folder. You can find this folder by typing %appdata% in to a file browser window.

Preparing to launch, but never does:
- Could be that Steam is down, check the stats to see if there's a dip in the graph
- Exit Steam & re-run & delete & re-install BH.
- Try running the game direct from the Steam apps folder, you might get a better error

BH sometimes minimizes
- A reboot can fix this most of the time
- If you have mIRC, GlovePIE, TwitDeck running, try turning these off.
- Try closing Firefox

Music volume 'ducks' when I blow stuff up
- This is caused by windows automatically trying to 'protect' your speakers. It happens when the combined volume of the music & the SFX exceed a preset level. Try turning the music and SFX volumes down to 3 or 4 and turning up your speakers to compensate.

If none of these work, the game can output debug text that can help me track down the problem. To do this, set up a pref file and use the WriteDebug; command. The output will be in the Steam apps/Beat hazard folder and it's called DebugMsg.txt

Let me know if I've missed anything. I'll keep this first page up to date.

Last edited by Starg: 01-04-2012 at 03:29 AM.
Old 07-06-2011, 11:35 AM   #2
ViRUS2008

you should add the 'song ducking on Windows Vista/7' issue, and that lowering the sound effects volume fixes it
ViRUS2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 11:42 AM   #3
Starg

Cold Beam Games
Ta - added.
Starg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 10:37 PM   #4
Bentusi

I was wondering about some of the scores on the leaderboard. I realize that I`m probably not the greatest BH player in the world, but I flat out refuse to believe that anybody has made it to wave 215 on the boss rush. If this is possible at all there should be little reason to have an achievement at 30, since it`s more than hard enough by then.

My point is that the BH charts have been full of cheats since the original release, which sort of takes the fun out of that part of the game. I know the Ion Assault team has managed to keep their leaderboards fee of this consistently by monitoring logs for suspiciously high scores and deleting them, and you might wanna considering doing the same.

If the nameless person with no steam profile at the top of the boss rush has actually managed 215 I`ll apologize. If not the score should be removed.
Bentusi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 12:38 AM   #5
PurePsychism

Smile

I added my own songs (to beat hazard ultra I assume, bought the complete pack on sale) and the original ones have disappeared.
Also, the BeatHazardPref file should be auto-created, and have a gui to change the options.
PurePsychism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 02:54 AM   #6
stukatie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentusi View Post
I was wondering about some of the scores on the leaderboard. I realize that I`m probably not the greatest BH player in the world, but I flat out refuse to believe that anybody has made it to wave 215 on the boss rush. If this is possible at all there should be little reason to have an achievement at 30, since it`s more than hard enough by then.

My point is that the BH charts have been full of cheats since the original release, which sort of takes the fun out of that part of the game. I know the Ion Assault team has managed to keep their leaderboards fee of this consistently by monitoring logs for suspiciously high scores and deleting them, and you might wanna considering doing the same.

If the nameless person with no steam profile at the top of the boss rush has actually managed 215 I`ll apologize. If not the score should be removed.
They didn't cheat, boss rush is exploitable which is explained here.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forum....php?t=1975310
stukatie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 06:32 AM   #7
Bentusi

Yes I figured as much. But my point was that it makes the leaderboards silly.
Old 09-01-2011, 08:47 AM   #8
Nipaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentusi View Post
Yes I figured as much. But my point was that it makes the leaderboards silly.
It's only on boss rush, so not really all the leaderboards are silly because of it.
Nipaah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 11:42 AM   #9
MagnaCesar

Is there a solution for the X360 controller problem?
Old 07-07-2011, 11:40 AM   #10
Batabii

Any way to fix the chat? When I type one letter it displays anywhere between 1 and 5 times that latter. And it keeps "entering" text when I didn't hit enter.
Batabii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 01:51 PM   #11
Starg

Cold Beam Games
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batabii View Post
Any way to fix the chat? When I type one letter it displays anywhere between 1 and 5 times that latter. And it keeps "entering" text when I didn't hit enter.
Yeah, i need to look at this. If I put a delay in, some players get missing letters, if I reduce the delay other player get multiple letters... I've got no idea why it sometimes sends the message early, I've never repo'ed this.
Starg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 05:36 AM   #12
Bentusi

Right!

Been playing ultra for a while and it`s almost perfect.

All the same here is my list of minor issues.

1: Chatline is fiddly and repeats letters
2: The post death explosion could use a boost. I play on suicide and usually the first death after I run out of bombs means I`m finished since I can`t catch up when the death explosion is so feeble.
3: The turrets on the spaceships look almost identical. If they were a bit more distinct it could add a little more tactic when taking them out. Atm I have a hard time identifying the lasers, which would be my first priority if I could see them.
4: There is a bug in multiplayer with the worms, so they either loop endlessly and never disappear or appear in 2 or 3 places at the same time. I don`t think it`s because of lag.
5: If there was a glow at the edge of the screen whenever mobs were just off screen it might save me an ulcer. Not knowing if a corner or edge is safe is a bit frustrating at times.

Anyways if you refuse to fix all these trifling things BH will still be the best shooter in the world.

Last edited by Bentusi: 07-08-2011 at 06:34 AM.
Old 07-08-2011, 10:39 AM   #13
Bonez0r

Banned
I trying to play the demo now and i don't know if it's just me, but i don't seem to be able to index tracks? I tried left clicking and pressing enter, but nothing happens when i choose index tracks in the menu.
Bonez0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 12:28 PM   #14
MexicanJuice

Any help with this???

http://forums.steampowered.com/forum....php?t=1976892
MexicanJuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 01:34 PM   #15
squall_leonhart

you are detecting input in the wrong order, it should be XInput and then fall back to Dinput if its not available. BHU is using DI8 even on common class controlles because of it.
squall_leonhart is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Beat Hazard