Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Suggestions / Ideas

Old 07-07-2011, 07:27 PM   #1
cleptomano

Option to disable aero on every game

In windows vista,7 aero theres an option to disable the aero graphics in each aplication you run.Its in properties and its called "disable desktop composition".I use this feature to run every game to avoid compatibility issues (on old and some new games) and also gain a few fps(which probably wont make the difference) but you free ram memory and gpu and cpu processing.

It would be nice if steam can add an option to run every game without aero, what you need to do is to check the "disable desktop composition" option in each exe , which sometimes are hard to find in steam and in some games you dont even know how it is called.Its not always game.exe or gamexxx.exe.
Old 07-07-2011, 08:47 PM   #2
iCycoWolfIV

Well you shouldn't be using aero if you want your computer to make a better performance anyway, Althrough for those graphics freaks, this would be a good one.
iCycoWolfIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 09:44 PM   #3
cleptomano

Quote:
Originally Posted by iCycoWolfIV View Post
Well you shouldn't be using aero if you want your computer to make a better performance anyway, Althrough for those graphics freaks, this would be a good one.
I use it while im not in a game because its makes windows looks much better.The most performance demanding tasks are games at least in my case
cleptomano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 10:25 PM   #4
Jagged Tooth

It should disable itself automatically when you run any full-screen game.
Jagged Tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 10:40 PM   #5
cleptomano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagged Tooth View Post
It should disable itself automatically when you run any full-screen game.
no its does not work that way , you can see it when pressing alt tab
cleptomano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 02:44 AM   #6
Epsilon

It really confuses me when people do strange things in the name of "performance".

The desktop compositor is essentially a full-screen DX9 app. It can't (by definition!) run when another full-screen DX/OpenGL app has control of the screen. While your full-screen game is up, the compositor (DWM) has to be quiescent.

Turning it off just when you're running on the desktop is a pretty strange idea too; using your GPU to render the screen means your CPU doesn't have to do it.

Not to mention that, at least on my system, dwm.exe is using only 10 MB of memory. It's pretty much at the level of noise.
Epsilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 05:19 PM   #7
Dragoon.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon View Post
It really confuses me when people do strange things in the name of "performance".

The desktop compositor is essentially a full-screen DX9 app. It can't (by definition!) run when another full-screen DX/OpenGL app has control of the screen. While your full-screen game is up, the compositor (DWM) has to be quiescent.

Turning it off just when you're running on the desktop is a pretty strange idea too; using your GPU to render the screen means your CPU doesn't have to do it.

Not to mention that, at least on my system, dwm.exe is using only 10 MB of memory. It's pretty much at the level of noise.
It's all about video memory.
Use a tool like GPU-Z to monitor video memory.
I prefer Aero but with resource intense games I disabled Aero when I max out my video memory.

An example taken from the EVGA forums.
http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?h...page=1#1583381
Quote:
BF3 6010x1080 Aero On: 1781MB Aero Off: 1571MB Save: 210MB (may be able to reach higher AA)
BF3 1920x1080 Aero On: 1138MB Aero Off: 1006MB Save: 132MB (poss the difference between 1GB card playable)
Ultra 1-6 / 2xMSAA / High AA Post / Motion Blur Off / AFx16 / HBAO
The reason is when you used up all your video memory the game start to swap data. You can notice this by a sudden drop of GPU load (because the GPU has to wait for the CPU now during data transfer) and drop of FPS as result until the video memory is freed and the new data cached.
Even if the FPS doesn't drop below 30fps the sudden drop will be noticeable and feel jerky until data transfer is done despite your GPU/CPU are powerful enough.
Unfortunately 1GB vram isn't enough these days when using Anti-Aliasing with graphic intensive titles especially when modded like Oblivion, Skyrim, GTA IV...

Last edited by Dragoon.x: 05-09-2012 at 05:22 PM.
Dragoon.x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 02:20 AM   #8
cannondale06

Banned
a good example is with my gtx570 and gta4. even though my vram was not fully maxed in the game with aero on, turning aero off made a huge difference.

I ran two different benchmarks in two different locations. and it used 200mb less vram with aero disabled.

aero enabled
Min, Max, Avg
29, 96, 59.719

aero disabled
Min, Max, Avg
43, 109, 69.977

about 17% faster with aero off

aero enabled
Min, Max, Avg
28, 90, 48.372

aero disabled
Min, Max, Avg
40, 93, 62.825

about 30% faster with aero off

so bottom line is the performance difference was all vram related in GTA 4 even though I was not even using within 100mb of my available vram with aero on. if you are anywhere close to borderline with vram then turning off aero will help in a vram hungry game like GTA 4. dont expect performance increase if you have plenty of vram left over for your given settings and resolution though.

EDIT: screenshots added

aero enabled
http://s13.postimage.org/609kohshj/G..._16_48_910.png

aero disabled
http://s14.postimage.org/4ja66kgep/G..._24_42_748.png

Last edited by cannondale06: 05-12-2012 at 02:29 AM.
cannondale06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 07:44 PM   #9
Dragoon.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannondale06 View Post
a good example is with my gtx570 and gta4. even though my vram was not fully maxed in the game with aero on, turning aero off made a huge difference.

I ran two different benchmarks in two different locations. and it used 200mb less vram with aero disabled.

aero enabled
Min, Max, Avg
29, 96, 59.719

aero disabled
Min, Max, Avg
43, 109, 69.977

about 17% faster with aero off

aero enabled
Min, Max, Avg
28, 90, 48.372

aero disabled
Min, Max, Avg
40, 93, 62.825

about 30% faster with aero off

so bottom line is the performance difference was all vram related in GTA 4 even though I was not even using within 100mb of my available vram with aero on. if you are anywhere close to borderline with vram then turning off aero will help in a vram hungry game like GTA 4. dont expect performance increase if you have plenty of vram left over for your given settings and resolution though.

EDIT: screenshots added

aero enabled
http://s13.postimage.org/609kohshj/G..._16_48_910.png

aero disabled
http://s14.postimage.org/4ja66kgep/G..._24_42_748.png
Thanks for the screenshots. I assume you have a 1gb card? You were exactly on the borderline with Aero on. I'm glad the game runs smooth for you now. I hope this case rise awareness to other people that when you have sometimes performance issues despite your card being fast enough it could be video memory related.
Dragoon.x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 07:59 PM   #10
cannondale06

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoon.x View Post
Thanks for the screenshots. I assume you have a 1gb card? You were exactly on the borderline with Aero on. I'm glad the game runs smooth for you now. I hope this case rise awareness to other people that when you have sometimes performance issues despite your card being fast enough it could be video memory related.
gtx570 is 1.25gb and like I said I was never within 100mb of using that so I never thought freeing up vram from disabling aero would have helped. I now have a gtx670 2gb so of course disabling aero with it does not help.
cannondale06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 12:30 PM   #11
KimuraOkagawa

From my experience, Aero completely conflicts with any windowed-noborder game (I set all my Source games to do that so alt-tab still works), almost to the point of crashing. If you're really worried about it and don't care that much for Aero (personally, I like Windows Classic), just disable Aero completely. You'll get better performance everywhere, not just with Steam games.
KimuraOkagawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 08:10 PM   #12
Jagged Tooth

I don't think it would be aero causing your problems. I've been running every game can in fullscreen no border windows and never needed to turn aero off.
Jagged Tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 10:29 PM   #13
n1ghtsn1p3r

Some older games don't like Aero running, which causes the graphics to not show properly (original Fallout Trilogy and Starcraft are the only two that come to my mind right now). Ventrillo also doesn't like Aero running.

I just turn Aero off and use the Windows 7 Basic or Windows Classic themes (I'm using 7 Ultimate x64).
n1ghtsn1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 10:07 AM   #14
Traitor Duck

Quote:
Originally Posted by n1ghtsn1p3r View Post
Some older games don't like Aero running, which causes the graphics to not show properly (original Fallout Trilogy and Starcraft are the only two that come to my mind right now). Ventrillo also doesn't like Aero running.
DirectDrawFix

Although I probably wouldn't recommend using it if you plan on playing online with said game.
Traitor Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 09:19 AM   #15
TrevHead

As n1ghtsn1per has just said some older games and even some new ones (inc bioshock or Fallout 3 i cant remember which) conflict with aero

Ive had areo perminatly turned off for the past year now, after getting 4 games conflicting in the space of a month.

Ideally MS could just program it to automatically turn off when a game starts up, but that would be conflicting with their little plot to make us all xbox gamers.

If it could be somehow done in Steam that would be great.
TrevHead is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Suggestions / Ideas