Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Team Fortress 2 > Server Feedback

Old 07-11-2011, 10:58 AM   #1
Swiftie

Shut down most of valve servers?

Don't you guys agree that it would be better if Valve shut down roughly 90% of their servers(TF2 default servers)? It's not like we need them. There are plenty of communities that would love to have the players. It's not like we're on Xbox. I wouldn't mind having some newer players in my servers. What do you guys think about this?
Old 07-11-2011, 02:13 PM   #2
M33CROB

I agree.
M33CROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 02:16 PM   #3
zeldafan1593

They usually flock at valve servers. It's a place I know to go to when I'm having a bad day.
zeldafan1593 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 06:29 PM   #4
Swiftie

Well there are plenty of servers that are fun to play in. Valve servers have no admins either. It tears down the community base. It makes it more like Xbox as I already said. From my experience Valve servers have higher pings too. They don't need to put up these servers to handle the increased load of players. There are plenty of empty slots without the valve servers. Plus it's costing Valve a lot of extra money to do this. So if they shut down these servers it's a win for us and a win for them.
Swiftie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 07:21 PM   #5
M33CROB

The stats are steadily going down and soon the server browser is going to be full of completely empty server (more so)

Current Players: 44,787
Peak Today: 68,372

It was 100k for the first week of F2P.
M33CROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 11:12 PM   #6
Swiftie

Exactly m33crob. I hope you're reading this Valve.
Old 07-11-2011, 11:52 PM   #7
Secret Police

I AM TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOU

I guess people(players) and server administrators r disappointed on this game or valve already.

1st, Bots crashes the game(server). [NOT FIXED]
2nd, Ghost player on servers. [NOT FIXED]
3rd, Vphysics.so crashed all Linux servers. [FIXED]
4th, Valve's own server have a rank that is so high, Non Valve server will never beat it[]
5th, Quickplay sending all players to Valve servers []
6th, Server Browser is dead [???]

For players who looking for a low ping server around them, they are like empty, because Valve is being a monster taking all the players to their servers. I guess this is one of the reasons that this game losing players.

If Valve really wanna help, host more servers on places like Asia where more population and less server there.

LAST EDIT: Jul 12, 2011 1:10AM[GMT -7]

Last edited by Secret Police: 07-12-2011 at 12:12 AM.
Secret Police is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 12:05 AM   #8
Swiftie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Police View Post
I guess people(players) and server administrators r disappointed on this game or valve already.

1st, Bots crashes the game(server). [NOT FIXED]
2nd, Ghost player on servers. [FIXED]
3rd, Vphysics.so crashed all Linux servers. [FIXED]
4th, Valve's own server have a rank that is so high, Non Valve server will never beat it[]
5th, Quickplay sending all players to Valve servers []
6th, Server Browser is dead [???]

For players who looking for a low ping server around them, they are like empty, because Valve is being a monster taking all the players to their servers. I guess this is one of the reasons that this game losing players.

If Valve really wanna help, host more servers on places like Asia where more population and less server their.
Your 2nd one is actually not fixed yet still. It is still happening in a lot of servers. Make sure you guys spread this around to your friends. We want Valve to see this thread.
Old 07-12-2011, 12:23 AM   #9
Secret Police

Okay, I guess Valve sux... The update says the problem is fixed...Since I have no players on my server so I thought it actually gets fixed. Anyways, Valve is NOT DOING what they should do, but they are doing what's not necessary to do.

Valve never fix their problem, when they release an update, there is more bugs, more problems in their update, and old problems never get fixed. Ex. Vphysics.so problem after update, Bots crash not being fix, Ghost players not being fixed.
VALVE SHOULD FIX THE 5H!77Y BUGS FIRST

Valve never response to the server problems, like the bots crash the server, Valve never post something like known bug, and as an administrator, we have to dig in to the errors to find out.
VALVE SHOULD INFORM SERVER ADMINS ABOUT THE BUGS

Valve launch massive TF2 servers for new player. We do not have enough servers or what? Valve wanna make the game like TF2 ONLINE, TF2FIRE (CS ONLINE, CROSSFIRE)
Fine, if Valve really like to host their own server for TF2, I will host non-steam servers on other games. BE THAT WAY VALVE.

Valve comic collection out in November... WTF...
FIX THE FU[K!NG BUGS FIRST, who FU[K!NG cares about comic collection if the games are buggy, no one playin.
Old 07-12-2011, 02:51 AM   #10
singhjay

I suggest everyone to keep bumping this thread so Valve sees it because what they're is screwing over the community.

Valve thinks that matching random players into a TF2 server will give them the best experience. That's completely wrong. Servers that have regulars are what gives players the best TF2 experience. Befriending each other, making rivals, cooperating as a team. You can't do that with random players on Valve quick play servers.

I really hope they think twice about this and remove 60% of their quick play servers.

Last edited by singhjay: 07-12-2011 at 02:53 AM.
singhjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 09:25 AM   #11
Swiftie

Quote:
Originally Posted by singhjay View Post
I suggest everyone to keep bumping this thread so Valve sees it because what they're is screwing over the community.

Valve thinks that matching random players into a TF2 server will give them the best experience. That's completely wrong. Servers that have regulars are what gives players the best TF2 experience. Befriending each other, making rivals, cooperating as a team. You can't do that with random players on Valve quick play servers.

I really hope they think twice about this and remove 60% of their quick play servers.
I'm pretty sure they have over 1000 TF2 servers so that would only bring it down to like 500 servers. We need it reduced at least to 100 or less because 500 servers will still take up to 12000 players away from the communities. And make sure you tell your friends about this thread to post here too.
Old 07-12-2011, 10:38 AM   #12
Dragonsbrethren

Please don't shut down the Valve servers. There is no reason to. They were running servers before free to play; more just got added.

It's so nice being able to jump onto a server and not need to worry about any dumb mods, reserved slots, donator benefits, clan stacking, increased player counts, spoofed player counts, bots, or other changed settings.

I know there were plenty of good servers before the free to play update, but the simple fact of the matter is they were the exception and not the rule.

It's just so nice being able to go "I want to play 5CP" on the matchmaking screen and know I'm going to get connected to a good server.
Dragonsbrethren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 10:45 AM   #13
Swiftie

There are plenty of servers out there without "dumb mods, reserved slots, donator benefits, clan stacking, increased player counts, spoofed player counts, bots, or other changed settings." that are not Valve servers. If you want stuff non modded and plain everything all the time just go play Xbox TF2(I believe Valve hosts all those servers?).
Old 07-12-2011, 10:53 AM   #14
singhjay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonsbrethren View Post
Please don't shut down the Valve servers. There is no reason to. They were running servers before free to play; more just got added.

It's so nice being able to jump onto a server and not need to worry about any dumb mods, reserved slots, donator benefits, clan stacking, increased player counts, spoofed player counts, bots, or other changed settings.

I know there were plenty of good servers before the free to play update, but the simple fact of the matter is they were the exception and not the rule.

It's just so nice being able to go "I want to play 5CP" on the matchmaking screen and know I'm going to get connected to a good server.
You're not using your head. Valve can easily remove those servers from the quick play pool (I'm talking about servers that run rtd and what not, not for the reasons you stated above.) . And just because there are some servers like that, doesn't mean that all servers are like that. If players find it too hard to find a server with quick play after most of the Valve servers are removed, then they can easily use the server browser. It's not hard.

Valve servers are infested with hackers, griefers, and are NOT administrated at all. I mean seriously, vote kick is even disabled.

I'll say this again, while it may be nice to just press quick play and find a game, this type of system will kill it in the long run. What makes players enjoy the game, wanting to keep coming back, etc. would be some sort of a ranking system, regulars, players they are familiar with, the atmosphere of the server they're playing on, etc. Not what you experience on Valve quick play servers where hackers and griefers don't get dealed with, where you're matched up with random people that don't know what they're doing, etc.

I'll throw this in there. If you think that those reasons are good enough to not play on community made servers, then quit the game honestly. Donor benefits and reserved slots is what keeps a community going. Running a TF2 server or servers is not cheap. Secondly, bots, fake clients, etc. will be of no use if Valve's servers actually get shut down because they'll be so many players looking for servers. There are plenty of vanilla servers out there as stated in the post above.

Last edited by singhjay: 07-12-2011 at 11:02 AM.
singhjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 11:04 AM   #15
Secret Police

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonsbrethren View Post

Well, you can always add Valve servers to your favorites instead. If you do not like our servers. Nobody force you to play on our servers. BUT Valve is forcing people to go their servers. Valve is being a communist?

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Team Fortress 2 > Server Feedback