Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Naval Warfare

Old 07-12-2011, 07:45 PM   #1
Polykleitos

Controls ARRRGH!!!

Ok, so call me stuck in my ways, but I get very confused by the controls in this game. I cant dodge things and I certainly cant aim those torpedoes at all... For a game where reflexes and positioning are so important, I pretty much lose because I have to fight the controls harder than I do the enemies in the game.

As it stands, W means sail up the screen, D sail from left to right, and so on...

I'm hoping there is some way to make W mean forwards, S reverse, and A and D mean turn left and right... Doesnt seem that it should be too hard... But what do I know, I just play the darn things, don't rightly know what makes 'em tick.
Old 07-16-2011, 12:30 PM   #2
Sian

I'm still waiting on the patch to support non-X360 gamepads. =(
Sian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 04:58 PM   #3
PieMonster777

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sian View Post
There's already a fix for that. It's right here:

http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-Wired...2325800&sr=8-1
PieMonster777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 12:29 AM   #4
Friendliest

Quote:
Originally Posted by PieMonster777 View Post
There's already a fix for that. It's right here:

http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-Wired...2325800&sr=8-1
I dunno ..... it sez "choking hazard".

does that mean it makes u miss headshots and whatnot?

[disclaimer: obviously a joke. the day I play a shooter with a gamepad will be the day they pry it into my cold, dead hands.]
Friendliest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 12:59 PM   #5
DJ Cryotek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friendliest View Post
the day I play a shooter with a gamepad will be the day they pry it into my cold, dead hands.]
That's kinda stupid. Controllers are better for some types of games, kb/mouse for others. Playing a game like this with kb/mouse is no less backwards than playing an fps or rts with a controller...

I honestly don't know how any PC gamer could not have a 360 controller by now. We are getting all the console games in addition to our own genres, no crap we should use an appropriate controller.
DJ Cryotek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 03:31 PM   #6
Vercinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Cryotek View Post
That's kinda stupid. Controllers are better for some types of games, kb/mouse for others. Playing a game like this with kb/mouse is no less backwards than playing an fps or rts with a controller...

I honestly don't know how any PC gamer could not have a 360 controller by now. We are getting all the console games in addition to our own genres, no crap we should use an appropriate controller.
While there probably are some rare games that are better with a controller, twin-stick shooters don't fall into that category. Despite the name, they benefit from mouse aiming and don't really suffer all that much from the 8-directional movement control.

Of course, people who are used to playing with controllers are liable to misjudge the situation, so you'll often hear about the necessity of owning a 360 thingie.
Vercinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 12:13 AM   #7
Highsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sian View Post
http://www.tocaedit.com/IB/index.php...ds&showfile=54
You could try this tool, it emulates your controller as an x360 controller.
Old 08-02-2011, 04:40 PM   #8
Oneironaut

You have to think of the controls the same way you do in a dual stick shooter like Beat Hazard or Nation Red. I also was confused at first because it's a strange control scheme for a boat, but once you realize what genre of game it is, it works pretty well(although I don't think aiming torpedoes will ever be easy.)
Oneironaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 12:55 AM   #9
Ryuubei

Took me about 10mins to get used to the controls. Torpedoes are easy, just stick your front where you want it to go and fire. It gets better later on when you get guided, then you just need to aim in the general direction.

I hated the game at first, but after an hour or so of playing i really like it now. Going to take me a while to get used to it properly, but it's a fun little game. Story dosen't make much sense though
Ryuubei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 06:40 PM   #10
cthulhugeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polykleitos View Post
Ok, so call me stuck in my ways, but I get very confused by the controls in this game. I cant dodge things and I certainly cant aim those torpedoes at all... For a game where reflexes and positioning are so important, I pretty much lose because I have to fight the controls harder than I do the enemies in the game.

As it stands, W means sail up the screen, D sail from left to right, and so on...

I'm hoping there is some way to make W mean forwards, S reverse, and A and D mean turn left and right... Doesnt seem that it should be too hard... But what do I know, I just play the darn things, don't rightly know what makes 'em tick.
Much agreed, would love A and D mean rotate right and left and use A and S for thrust, and brake. Which is how the controller functions anyway I think. I have never used consoles so have no interest in buying a controller for the rare PC games that need them. Any news of a patch or is there any ini or cfg file or something one could use to modify the control scheme?
Old 08-06-2011, 11:41 PM   #11
ate50eggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polykleitos View Post

I completely agree. This modification would turn the game from borderline unplayable to something I'd recommend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneironaut
You have to think of the controls the same way you do in a dual stick shooter like Beat Hazard or Nation Red. I also was confused at first because it's a strange control scheme for a boat, but once you realize what genre of game it is, it works pretty well(although I don't think aiming torpedoes will ever be easy.)
The difference is that in other top down shooters, movement is more or less symmetrical. Boats are different: turning time is long and orientation matters a lot.

I really hope they add this as a feature. The game looks great and the genre is awesome.
Old 08-07-2011, 08:41 AM   #12
Stryk

Yeah, the keyboard seems to be an after thought.

This is a port from the xbox 360. on there, the game is called Aqua.

You have to have a xbox compatible controller more and more these days.

I'm a huge supporter of the idea kb+m is far superior to a controller. But when the game is so deeply designed around a controller, it can't shine. When the support for porting it to kb+m is an afterthought on top of it, then the controller will be better.

You can get a xbox 360 compatible controller from Madcatz for $20. Its wired which for a PC setup is usually fine. In fact I find it better because the wireless version you have to deal with the receiver anyway.
Stryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 04:23 PM   #13
Krest

Hum agreed with the Q / D behaviour for turn (azerty).
I have a some difficulties to launch correctly torpedo with the current control, and simply don't like how it's.
Krest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 06:15 PM   #14
cthulhugeek

I looked through the files of the games and no damn cfg or ini files! These guys being console developers probably aren't used to PC people looking to play with files, modding there game to taste. Too bad. The controls are probably hard coded.
Old 07-14-2012, 12:29 AM   #15
Mike_Hannigan

Renegade ops had the same issue but they put in a "tank mode" in the options and it works like it should. Dang. This thing is unplayable with a keyboard.
Mike_Hannigan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Naval Warfare